Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Scott Williamson selling '04 WS ring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Rabbit Slim

• 1,048 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Scott Wiliamson is putting his '04 World Series ring up for auction on Friday.

http://boston.redsox...ws_bos&c_id=bos

#2 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

His market timing is awful.

#3 Murby

• 136 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Shameful.

#4 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,853 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Just as long as he's doing it for the name on the front of the ring and not on the back.

#5 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1,260 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

The guy made over 9 million dollars in his career. Hope he's not having to sell to make ends meet.

#6 kartvelo

• 3,850 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

"There's never been an '04 World Series ring available, obviously, and there's [nothing] comparable to that series because of what it meant," Graves said. "It was probably the most significant of our lifetime, and arguably in all of baseball history."

#7 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

http://aol.sportingn...rld-series-ring

"According to The Boston Globe, reliever Scott Williamson, a member of the Red Soxs Curse-busting championship team in 2004, will auction his ring to help finance an indoor baseball facility for children."

#8 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,597 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Shameful.

Really?

It was 86 years. I can die with that World Series ring. But if I die and I have this (facility) and these kids, and Ive helped make them better people, then my name and what Ive done will mean more to me than that.

Opening bid of $1m. Methinks several more will go on the market once some people realize the monetary value of the ring.

It's actually amazing to me that Mark Malaska, Jamie Brown, Earl Snyder, Jimmy Anderson, and guys like that haven't already sold theirs.

#9 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,739 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I would have guessed Manny as being the first one from the '04 team to sell his ring, and that he'd do it at a market for some magic beans.

#10 Poulsonator

• 332 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

His market timing is awful.

I don't think it'll matter for an item this rare and unique.

#11 Poulsonator

• 332 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Opening bid of $1m. Methinks several more will go on the market once some people realize the monetary value of the ring.

It's actually amazing to me that Mark Malaska, Jamie Brown, Earl Snyder, Jimmy Anderson, and guys like that haven't already sold theirs.

The opening bid was one dollar. Their high estimate is $250,000.

#12 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,703 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Wonder what ever happened to Brandon Puffer's ring. Does he wear it in prison?

#13 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

I don't think it'll matter for an item this rare and unique.

You don't think the September collapse and the October meltdown take a little shine off the Red Sox brand?

#14 Poulsonator

• 332 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

You don't think the September collapse and the October meltdown take a little shine off the Red Sox brand?

Absolutely it has. It has affected me, as I do some baseball card buying/selling on the side. However, for a piece of the most important event in Red Sox history that, in my opinion, has not been tarnished in any way...I think it'll fetch somewhere in the high-end of their estimate.

I know that if I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about buying it.

#15 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Just as long as he's doing it for the name on the front of the ring and not on the back.

What does this mean?

#16 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,337 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

What does this mean?

Williamson still won't discuss what happened, but Schilling's quote infuriated him.
``When a guy says you have to play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the back, that hurts,'' he said. ``I fight for my teammates. That's why I was trying to pitch through this.''

http://redsox.boston...articleid=40681

#17 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,664 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

um, no.

#18 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

Wouldn't a Red Sox organizational meltdown just enhance the value of the ring by lowering the percieved likliehood of more like it being minted in the near future?

Actually, too little has been made of the fact that he's auctioning it to build a training site for kids.

And if you're supposed to play for the name on the front of your jersey, not on the back - what's Al Alberqueque going to do when he gets traded to the Dodgers and gets sent to AAA?

#19 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,226 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=40681

Got it - didn't see it on my phone, but that's funny because that's almost identical to the Bill Mueller quote from 2003.

#20 Delicious Sponge

• 1,020 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

This is like a piece of The True Cross. Sure, Christianity has had some ups and downs, but Jesus was nailed to that. Jesus.

#21 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,347 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Scott Williamson's ring is probably broken.

#22 Dehere

• 2,450 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Semi-serious question: How much cash could we get together for a collective SOSH bid?

Do we have fifty guys who would throw in two grand each? Three grand? To have the right to a 2004 WS ring one week a year for the rest of your life?

Hell, I'd get in.

#23 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 14,171 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

Williamson plans to auction the ring Friday, but on Thursday night, Grady Little is going to break into his house, steal the ring, and inexplicably give it to Pedro.

#24 Tokyo Sox

• Baka Gaijin

• 2,720 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

What a shitty looking website. That said I am currently the high bid.

You losers can kiss it if I win...and also I'll show you the ring.

#25 Tokyo Sox

• Baka Gaijin

• 2,720 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

That didn't last long.

#26 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4,366 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I've been watching it for a couple of days and someone bids every hour or two. But I don't get why. You put down a bid right now, you will be outbid within 3 hours, and when you go to bid again at the end (assuming you were really interested in buying it in the first place) then all you've succeeded in doing is driving up your own price. It's going to come down to the last day. Why would anyone contribute to driving up the price? Every bid you place is just going to cost you an extra hundred bucks.

#27 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4,694 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

Semi-serious question: How much cash could we get together for a collective SOSH bid?

Do we have fifty guys who would throw in two grand each? Three grand? To have the right to a 2004 WS ring one week a year for the rest of your life?

Hell, I'd get in.

IN for $3000 anyway...DS had it right, this is the Holy Grail.

#28 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7,524 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

I've been watching it for a couple of days and someone bids every hour or two. But I don't get why. You put down a bid right now, you will be outbid within 3 hours, and when you go to bid again at the end (assuming you were really interested in buying it in the first place) then all you've succeeded in doing is driving up your own price. It's going to come down to the last day. Why would anyone contribute to driving up the price? Every bid you place is just going to cost you an extra hundred bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Edited by sfip, 17 October 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#29 drbretto

• guidence counselor

• 4,366 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

huh?

#30 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,347 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Perhaps we can get Dr. DaveRobertsShoes to offer Williamson lifetime orthopedic surgery in exchange for the ring. But then I worry the Doc will lose money on that deal, as SWilly is very broken in addition to being broke.

#31 santadevil

• 973 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Perhaps we can get Dr. DaveRobertsShoes to offer Williamson lifetime orthopedic surgery in exchange for the ring. But then I worry the Doc will lose money on that deal, as SWilly is very broken in addition to being broke.

Where do you see that he is broke?
Just assuming because he's selling his ring?

#32 PortlandSoxFan

• Father of Idontgiveafuckism

• 5,893 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Where do you see that he is broke?
Just assuming because he's selling his ring?

Williamson intends to use a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the ring to construct and administer a youth indoor/outdoor baseball academy.

That's the part that seems fishy to me.

#33 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

This is the idea of a charity auction. The money is for kids, you're not necessarily trying to get the best price possible here.

#34 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,434 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

This is the idea of a charity auction. The money is for kids, you're not necessarily trying to get the best price possible here.

That's naive. I'd be shocked if a good chunk of the bidders didn't just want the ring and weren't thinking much about the charity aspect.

Yeah, it's nice for losing bidders to have helped raise the price and the amount raised for charity but I'm guessing that many bidders would want to get that ring at the lowest possible price.

#35 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

That's naive. I'd be shocked if a good chunk of the bidders didn't just want the ring and weren't thinking much about the charity aspect.

Yeah, it's nice for losing bidders to have helped raise the price and the amount raised for charity but I'm guessing that many bidders would want to get that ring at the lowest possible price.

It isn't naive--this is exactly what happens in charity auctions all the time. I'm sure the unique nature of the item is driving the price up, but when you do an auction for charity typically people don't wait around to score some super-low price on what's being offered. Since it's open for bidding to anyone I'm sure there are diverse interests at the table for sure, but when something like this is presented as being for charity, that's the route it often/ usually takes. I'm sure in practice everyone that bids wants it at their price but the lack of restraint on bidding is likely due, at least in part, to anyone within financial earshot of winning being comfortable throwing bids less judiciously due to the "cause."

Bretto asked about the lack of savvy in the bidding, personally that's where I'd start.

#36 Minneapolis Millers

• 689 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

It isn't naive--this is exactly what happens in charity auctions all the time.

Hell, this happens on eBay all the time. Some people just want their name on the list. Some use a low bid as a way of getting periodic updates about where the bidding is. In any case, it's not behavior that's limited to charity events, although I agree that you do see this type of bidding there as well.

Separate but related question: IS this a charity auction? Saying a portion of the proceeds will be used to fund a baseball academy isn't = charity, is it? The academy could be for profit, no? Plus, unless this ring goes for a ton, it won't be enough to set up an academy, anyway. It all seems odd to me...

Edited by Minneapolis Millers, 18 October 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#37 Tokyo Sox

• Baka Gaijin

• 2,720 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

I suppose some people want to see their name or # on there or just say they bid it (hey, I did, and I was pretty sure I wouldn't get it). And possibly some people are motivated by the possible charity aspect. But really, I don't think there's any difference between doing it this way and waiting until the last day/hour/minute. It's going to go for what it's going to go for. The site says if there are a lot of last minute bids they will extend the time to ensure an orderly auction process.

If you want to buy it, and are prepared to pay up to $100k (which they are optimistically projecting as the low end), why not put a bid in now? No one has any idea what this thing will ultimately go for. 150k because it's a 2004 Sox ring? 50k because it's only Scott Williamson after all? Who knows. But I don't think anyone putting in a bid now is necessarily doing themselves a disservice; people will go to a certain threshold and it's unlikely that the time constraint (or lack thereof) is going to change what that threshold is.

#38 Tokyo Sox

• Baka Gaijin

• 2,720 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

This thing is scheduled to close tonight, and at the moment it looks like it will go for a lot less than they'd hoped.

#39 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3,639 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

I wonder how much Big Papi's ring would net...it'd probably be double, triple that, right?

Edited by brs3, 25 October 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#40 normstalls

• 2,006 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Ended up going for $89,000.

Link

#41 MoGator71

• SoSH Member

• 5,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I wonder how much Big Papi's ring would net...it'd probably be double, triple that, right?

Or Pedro's.