Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Week 7 College Football Game Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#51 deconstruction

• 3,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Wow. Consecutive kickoff returns for TDs in Austin.

#52 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

Illinois looks like crap on offense. Bad snap in the 'gun and unless they convert tho 3rd and long, they will have lost field position.

EDIT: They managed to convert it.

Edited by mascho, 15 October 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#53 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Buckeyes are up 10-0 in the third against undefeated Illinois. Still, they have yet to complete a pass.

They finally completed one... for a TD. 17-0 OSU in the 4th.

#54 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Peyton Manning in the booth for UT-LSU. I sorta miss that hick fucker on the field. I remember like it was yesterday when C-Wood beat him for the Heisman. Those were better days. Meanwhile, LSU is just...awesome. I definitely want to make a trip to Baton Rouge next year. LSU is my favorite team to watch besides UM.

24-7 LSU.

Edited by sachmoney, 15 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#55 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

Ron Zook out Zooked himself. Down 10 with just over a minute left, Illinois has it 4th and 2 at the OSU 15. They need a TD and a FG. Zook forgoes the FG and goes for it. Incomplete. Why he didn't take the 3 they would need eventually is beyond me.

#56 Gdiguy

• 492 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

Impressive set of 3 consecutive plays in Ok St vs Texas... Texas goes for it 4th and goal at the 4 yard line, and complete a pass for 3 yards to turn the ball over. Next play, Ok State runs a running play that baaaarely gets out of the endzone. Following play, Ok St QB throws a pick-6... except he stepped out of the back of the endzone before the throw for a safety.

#57 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hard to believe the Tennessee quarterback shares genes with a guy that went 22-25 in a Super Bowl.

#58 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

For some reason, Versus is showing my alma mater Columbia playing the UPenn Quakers, who haven't lost an ivy league game in 3 years. The game, officiating and production are all fucking embarrassments. We've been screwed by at least 3 horrific calls that would have been overturned if the league used replay. We cover the run the way Brandon Meriwether covers deep passes.

Anyone else watching this farce? Just listening to the announcers is pretty funny if you've been drinking a bit. They choose to highlight stats like "4th in Ivy League", and the yellow first-down line on TV malfunctions regularly.

#59 AMS25

• 941 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Impressive set of 3 consecutive plays in Ok St vs Texas... Texas goes for it 4th and goal at the 4 yard line, and complete a pass for 3 yards to turn the ball over. Next play, Ok State runs a running play that baaaarely gets out of the endzone. Following play, Ok St QB throws a pick-6... except he stepped out of the back of the endzone before the throw for a safety.

Yeah, Texas is hanging in better this week but hasn't had much luck in this one.

#60 Gdiguy

• 492 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, Texas is hanging in better this week but hasn't had much luck in this one.

aaand now it's over.

It's incredible how many college QB's refuse to throw the ball away when it's clear that bad things are happening and they're either going to (at best) take a sack, or at worst lose the ball.

#61 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,362 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

UConn makes USF play like shit every year.

#62 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Trent Richardson is a monster. 76 yard TD run. 30-7 Bama, PAT to come.

#63 Kremlin Watcher

• 2,708 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Texas. What the hell. I think Mack and co. are more or less punting on this season, breaking a bunch of young guys into their new systems for next season. Win some, lose some this year, set it up for the future. The offensive line is absolutely pathetic on protection, the defensive line is maybe the weakest I've ever seen at Texas since Brown became coach. Baylor and aggy are going to score some serious points on this bunch. Not that they don't want to win, but I think they see that the raw materials are pretty raw. Build up the young guys, maybe make a bowl game, recruit some goddamn linemen and go for it in 2012. Not much fun to watch.

#64 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

The Bama defense are just kicking seven shades out of Ole Miss. Most of their plays are going for negative yardage.

#65 patman

• 466 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

Trent Richardson is a monster. 76 yard TD run. 30-7 Bama, PAT to come.

Posted Image

I've seen Richardson make some ridiculous moves this year but this takes the cake.

#66 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

Anyone watching KState-TTech? Looks like best game going on right now.

#67 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Admiral Ackbar making an appearance in College Park for Clemson..."It's a trap!"

#68 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,131 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

SMU looked really dominant today against UCF. At 5-1 they have a shot for their best record in over 25 years. Zach Line and McDermott were fantastic and it wasn't as close as the 21 point lead would indicate.

#69 Infield Infidel

• 8,362 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

It's odd seeing Tech run the ball so much, but they are doing a good job with it. The RB had that long run toward the end of the first half with a T-Richardson like move

#70 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

<illmatic>

I've seen Richardson make some ridiculous moves this year but this takes the cake.

Ever since I heard of this, I've been a Richardson fan. With Luck all but ensured with being the #1 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson is #2 (if he declares). He's going to be a great back for whatever team drafts him. He has a fantastic work ethic and takes care of his body. Those are two things that are going to pay dividends in the NFL.

Streaming KSU. This Florida-Auburn game is awful.

#71 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Sammie Watkins pretty much putting the comeback on himself....approaching 300 AP yards...2 Fitzgerald style TD catches...Clemson now leads..

#72 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sammie Watkins pretty much putting the comeback on himself....approaching 300 AP yards...2 Fitzgerald style TD catches...Clemson now leads..

Amazing. After trailing 35-17, the Tigers are on a 25-3 run. Still plenty of time, and Maryland's driving at mid-field.

#73 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

What channel/network is this on?

#74 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Scary moment in Lawrence as Jeremiah Hatch is carted off. Kansas scores a TD on the very next play.

#75 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Clemson refuses to play cover 2...or even cover 1...everyone in the secondary playing with their backs turned...

#76 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Sammy Watkins...wow.

#77 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Umm...que Sammie Watkins....kick return td...

#78 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Oh. Florida. Second fumble on a punt return. Muschamp, how much of this before your head explodes?

#79 Infield Infidel

• 8,362 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Tech just recovered an on-side kick, down 7 2:00 to go

#80 Dgilpin

• 3,682 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I can not believe Clemson not only won but covered as well.

#81 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Watkins building early Heisman momentum for next year...

#82 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 2,136 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

If dude doesn't want to take a wicked hit from Burfict then he should have stopped running. Ref was late worth the whistle on that personal foul

#83 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

This ASU -Oregon is highly entertaining.

#84 Gdiguy

• 492 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

If dude doesn't want to take a wicked hit from Burfict then he should have stopped running. Ref was late worth the whistle on that personal foul

The initial look made it an obvious call, but on the replay I agree with you - the whistle was so late, and he was running full speed down the sideline, I'm not sure what you expect the players to do if they don't have a clear view of the initial step out of bounds and you're not going to make the call super fast and clear

#85 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

ASU has gotten hosed on some big penalties here.

#86 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

The refs really butchered this call. It should be ASU ball.

EDIT: Poor refereeing. You have to let the plays play out. That was a clear fumble. The defensive player made a huge effort to save it and it should be ASU ball.

Edited by sachmoney, 15 October 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#87 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

The refs really butchered this call. It should be ASU ball.

I can't hear the sound. Are they actually debating giving ASU the ball?

#88 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

I can't hear the sound. Are they actually debating giving ASU the ball?

I don't think it was really close. The ref blew the whistle dead so no one actually had a chance to recover it even though an ASU player did. It was just poorly officiated to begin with. There really was no way to overturn it, realistically.

#89 Infield Infidel

• 8,362 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

I can't remember the illegal touching rule; the first player to touch the ball had come from out of bounds, so he couldn't recover the ball anyway, right?

#90 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

I can't remember the illegal touching rule; the first player to touch the ball had come from out of bounds, so he couldn't recover the ball anyway, right?

I believe this is correct. The guy who recovered it was out of bounds, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

#91 Infield Infidel

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

Shades of 2007. Oregon players dropping like flies. They look deeper this year, but they just lost their second heisman candidate in as many weeks.

Edited by Infield Infidel, 16 October 2011 - 12:11 AM.

#92 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

There have been good gifs this week, but....
Posted Image

EDIT: In that last shot, it looks like these poor cheerleaders have shaken off the fright.

Edited by sachmoney, 16 October 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#93 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

Shades of 2007. Oregon players dropping like flies. They look deeper this year, but they just lost their second heisman candidate in as many weeks.

Bennett looks good running the offense but I don't think he's nearly the passer Thomas is. Duck nation in distress.

#94 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,978 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

That pick is on the receiver. Osweiler worked his ass off to get them in the position to get points and potentially a chance to win the game, but that deflected INT killed that drive. Whoever betted on this game (after the line moved to 14) is going to be angry.

#95 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 2,136 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

Jamal Miles has many talents. Good hands aren't among them.

Oregon made awesome halftime adjustments on defense and ASU did not adjust to the new qb or well anything.

This sucks.

#96 JMDurron

• 4,345 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

This Florida-Auburn game is awful.

You were warned!

#97 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

This season is building my respect for the Barn. They're winning games they have no business winning with hustle and good coaching.

#98 JMDurron

• 4,345 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

This season is building my respect for the Barn. They're winning games they have no business winning with hustle and good coaching.

Silly namecalling aside (this is SoSH, not TigerDroppings, although I know there's significant difference of opinion as to what that means in football subforums), this is why I basically tacked a game onto my projection for Auburn's W-L record due to the coaching staff. The fact that Auburn is winning games against talented (if also flawed) SEC teams when the opposing defense can basically play run every down says quite a bit about OC Gus Malzahn's abilities, and the new offensive line is already run-blocking quite well, which is a credit to OL Coach Jeff Grimes. DC Ted Roof is even getting guys to improve their tackling now, which is a pleasant surprise. Now, if he can only get them to pass block as well...

It also helps to have an awesome punter who can get Zoltan-esque hangtime on all of his punts, allowing the coverage team to basically be right in the face of the return guy on fair catches. That was a major tactical advantage that might have been the single most decisive factor against Florida, even though 75% of this is still on the Florida player's failure to catch the ball.

#99 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

'This is SOSH?' The site that coined 'MFY' you mean? :rolleyes: I don't expect Auburn fans to be worked up over 'Barn' and I don't get worked up over 'Bammer.'

I know the current team's got what, seven seniors? How many juniors are there who aren't likely to declare? Do you see the team taking a big step forward next year, or will it be one more year after that?

#100 JMDurron

• 4,345 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

I know the current team's got what, seven seniors? How many juniors are there who aren't likely to declare? Do you see the team taking a big step forward next year, or will it be one more year after that?

There are 16 seniors on the roster, many of whom were walk-ons who got scholarships due to only 72 scholarship athletes being on the roster to start the year (oversigning my ass). Only 5 of those seniors have seen any significant playing time as far as I know. There are 17 juniors, and while I'm not sure that any of them *should* declare, there are 4 who could possibly get some NFL attention - CB T'Sharvan Bell, RB Onterio McCalebb, TE Philip Lutzenkirchen, and WR Emory Blake. I am being really, really generous for the first and last names there, as neither have NFL size, IMO. Almost every other player of significance on the roster is a SO or FR. I see a big step forward next year, led by QB Kiehl Frazier, particularly on the defensive line and at RB, even if McCalebb leaves. Assuming no major coaching staff turnover, combine the roster maturity and the even-year schedule (LSU, Arkansas, Georgia at home instead of on the road), and you have a solid shot for Auburn to take the SEC West. That is very dependent on Frazier's development, because he is clearly still very, very raw as a passer, to the point that he is not a candidate to be the starting QB this year despite the horrific performance of Barrett Trotter so far.

Going to cross-post to the SEC thread.