Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

BC Basketball 2011-12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#101 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

I also think we have something here in Clifford. He is shooting 60+% and playing solid all around. He will add muscle and continue to grow.

#102 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I also think we have something here in Clifford. He is shooting 60+% and playing solid all around. He will add muscle and continue to grow.

I think Clifford will be a 16/8 guy by the time he's a senior. If this team can get a legit pg (hopefully Hanlan is the answer) and a better 3rd big than Caudill, they'd be much, much better.

#103 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I think Clifford will be a 16/8 guy by the time he's a senior. If this team can get a legit pg (hopefully Hanlan is the answer) and a better 3rd big than Caudill, they'd be much, much better.

I know you meant that as a complement but I think you're underselling Clifford. He's averaged about 13/5 in his last five games while only playing about 25 minutes a game. I am comfortable saying that he will likely grow into an All-ACC type talent. His hands, feet, and overall IQ just seem that good.

Caudill will be fine as a back up center. Also has good feet but needs to work better on his touch around the basket and overall conditioning.

Daniels also played very well last night but it was a decent match up for him (Clemson's pg is 5'9").

Lonnie Jackson also seems like a player. He is up to about 45% from 3 range and has teams have tried to take his permiter game away he has shown the ability to adjust and drive to the basket.

Most pleasing has been Donahue's ability to coach these guys up. From game to game they seem to be correcting the biggest problems from the previous night. TOs continue to be a problem but I think that will improve with experience.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 13 January 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#104 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm bullish on Clifford, Anderson, and Jackson but I can't muster any excitement over Caudill. He's a slow, lumbering mini-Big Country. I can stand him him spelling Clifford for 5-10 minutes / game but I don't want him playing any more than that. The guy is worse than Zoellner.

#105 LeftyTG

• 737 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

I know you meant that as a complement but I think you're underselling Clifford. He's averaged about 13/5 in his last five games while only playing about 25 minutes a game. I am comfortable saying that he will likely grow into an All-ACC type talent. His hands, feet, and overall IQ just seem that good.

To be fair, the last 5 games include URI, Sacred Heart, and a Harvard team, that while good, didn't have anyone taller than 6'8" in their rotation.

#106 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9947 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

To be fair, the last 5 games include URI, Sacred Heart, and a Harvard team, that while good, didn't have anyone taller than 6'8" in their rotation.

And this URI team is horrifically terrible...like might win 2 games in the A10 awful.

#107 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

35-31 BC over VT with 16 min left. VT coming off heart-breakers to Wake and FSU.

Heckmann isn't doing anything because of injury and he's only playing because his mother is here from Germany.

#108 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

RPI #225 over RPI #56, cool.

#109 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well the team some were saying could go 0 for the ACC has now won 2 of its first 3 games. Donahue is doing one hell of a job so far. The wins themselves are just gravy the improvement game over game is what has been so impressive and fun to watch.

#110 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Working on a two game win streak, BC will now play a road game against NC St. BC has won the last two games "ugly" but part of that is due to the fact that they've played very solid defense as of late. Interested to see if the growth continues and they can remain competitive on the road.

#111 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Working on a two game win streak, BC will now play a road game against NC St. BC has won the last two games "ugly" but part of that is due to the fact that they've played very solid defense as of late. Interested to see if the growth continues and they can remain competitive on the road.

I think we'll probably lose but we're reaching the point where I don't think the non-Duke/UNC teams can chalk us down as an autowin anymore.

#112 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Well give this team credit for one thing. The do a remarkable job of bringing every opponent down to their level. Every game is just plain miserable.

#113 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Well give this team credit for one thing. The do a remarkable job of bringing every opponent down to their level. Every game is just plain miserable.

No kidding. Every game we play is like watching a bunch of 40 year-olds play in a rec league.

#114 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

No kidding. Every game we play is like watching a bunch of 40 year-olds play in a rec league.

I think this is a testament to Coach D's in game coaching ability and the teams dramatic improvement defensively. Anyway, the best news has been the play of Oliver Hanlon at New Hampton. He is developing quite a buzz on a team with some other Div. 1 talent. Looks to be someone who will be able to contribute immediately as a Point Guard with scoring ability.

#115 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think this is a testament to Coach D's in game coaching ability and the teams dramatic improvement defensively. Anyway, the best news has been the play of Oliver Hanlon at New Hampton. He is developing quite a buzz on a team with some other Div. 1 talent. Looks to be someone who will be able to contribute immediately as a Point Guard with scoring ability.

I've seen some videos of him and have really been impressed. Looks like the PG from day 1 next year.

#116 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well the rec league all-stars just beat the #15 team in the country.

#117 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well the rec league all-stars just beat the #15 team in the country.

Haha. And in the words of a past BC football coach they looked good doing it. Really great effort on both sides of the ball. Daniels was great and they only turned it over 10 times.

#118 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Nice choke job, BC. Get a fucking rebound. This team is getting better but they have no athleticism. Tough loss.

#119 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well Duke tonight, the place will be banged out. Let's see how they respond. This team has been playing a lot better, fewer turnovers, good defense. I look for Clifford to play his best game
of the year and for BC to keep it close for a while.

#120 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Wow. BC turning the game into a rec special. So Mason Plumlee is on Scholly because of his bro right because he's not really very good.

#121 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

And just like that he makes one play and douches it up in Laetneresque fashion.

#122 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

And yes, I meant Miles.

#123 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8523 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Austin Rivers is pretty good. Wonder how long he'll stay in school.

#124 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Austin Rivers is pretty good. Wonder how long he'll stay in school.

Let's put it this way. We will never see him play BC again.

#125 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was at the game last night and I was stunned by the lack of talent on the BC roster. Anderson and Humphrey are the only 2 guys who looked like they belong in the ACC. I also really like Jordan Daniels, but he was completely taken out of the game by Curry, Thornton and Cook. Lonnie Jackson kept playing hard even down 25 late in the game, but he was mostly just grabbing and pushing and not really trying to defend, just to pick a fight. I have no idea how they scored so easily against FSU's defense, because last night a poor defensive Duke team shut them down.

I'm a fan of Donahue, but he really needs to get a lot more talent there. Hope they give him enough time to turn things around, but it's going to take 3-4 more years.

#126 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I was at the game last night and I was stunned by the lack of talent on the BC roster. Anderson and Humphrey are the only 2 guys who looked like they belong in the ACC. I also really like Jordan Daniels, but he was completely taken out of the game by Curry, Thornton and Cook. Lonnie Jackson kept playing hard even down 25 late in the game, but he was mostly just grabbing and pushing and not really trying to defend, just to pick a fight. I have no idea how they scored so easily against FSU's defense, because last night a poor defensive Duke team shut them down.

I'm a fan of Donahue, but he really needs to get a lot more talent there. Hope they give him enough time to turn things around, but it's going to take 3-4 more years.

I take it from your post this is the first game you've seen. Not a good sample to judge from. If you had watched the FSU win you might actually get a misperception the other way. They are young, very young. Clifford has hit a bit of a wall and was in foul trouble last night but he has the potential to be the best of the bunch. I do think Jackson and Daniels will end up being solid rotational players but they have limited ceilings. That said, when Daniels has a favorable match up he can light it up.

Humphrey is a Junior but first year player since he transferred. They are playing 9 freshman. Also, their most highly touted freshman coming into the season was Patrick Heckmann, who is out with mono and struggled with injuries before that.

They clearly need some talent. Hell ... they were starting from square one and are playing 3 walk ons meaningful minutes at this point. Two guards coming in next year who should be immediate contributors. If they can land an athletic 4 or tallish wing as well that would also help as well. Their main issue right now is they are inconsistent on the perimeter (they hit some shots against FSU and everything opened up) and don't have a guy who can create when they go into droughts.

I think all expectations are that we will see some real progress by the end of next year, hopefully, and that will serve as a spring board into the following year.

What's encouraging is that they really could/should have a couple more wins of late but just haven't figured out how to finish. This was the first real blow out in some time. Having watched this team over the season, they are leaps and bounds ahead of where they started.

#127 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I take it from your post this is the first game you've seen. Not a good sample to judge from. If you had watched the FSU win you might actually get a misperception the other way. They are young, very young.

First game I have seen in person this season. Watched them plenty on TV, including that FSU game. They back cut FSU a ton, and the 3's were going down. Duke completely took away the back cuts with help D, and the 3's weren't falling so BC didn't have much of a chance. FSU defensively shouldn't have had any trouble slowing down the worst offense in the ACC, but they couldn't get stops. Clearly a case of overlooking an opponent. I do think that with Wake and GT struggling, and Va Tech probably transitioning to a new coach next year, BC can move into the middle of the ACC pack next season.

#128 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

They back cut FSU a ton, and the 3's were going down.

This is the key. They've been very inconsistent shooting this year so players like Clifford can get lost. He is athletic and is a good passer. If Rahon and Hanlon are as good as advertised this will help a lot. If they somehow can get Ryan Taylor that would be a great class.

#129 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

BC's biggest issue is the lack of "playmakers" on offense. Anderson has really developed these past couple of weeks, Clifford has hit a wall but shows promise, Jackson is ideally a bench player, and Daniels has his moments. We need more players who can create off the dribble. I think Hanlan/Rahon will be very helpful in that regard and hopefully Heckmann comes back strong next year. Another huge issue is rebounding. That will improve as Clifford/Anderson gain more weight/strength but we absolutely need another big man in the rotation. At this point, Caudill just isn't very useful. And I'm not sure if he ever will have a role greater than just token minutes.

#130 BS_SoxFan

• 1893 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Can we at least all agree that Matt Humphrey brings all the negatives of Rakim Sanders to the team (jacking up shots, poor decision making on D, moments when he apparently forgets how to dribble) without the talent and positive moments that Sanders occasionally brought to the team? I'm still getting a feel for this team after watching about a dozen games this season, but I really don't enjoy watching him play.

#131 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Can we at least all agree that Matt Humphrey brings all the negatives of Rakim Sanders to the team (jacking up shots, poor decision making on D, moments when he apparently forgets how to dribble) without the talent and positive moments that Sanders occasionally brought to the team? I'm still getting a feel for this team after watching about a dozen games this season, but I really don't enjoy watching him play.

I actually disagree completely. He has played much better offensively over the last 10 games or so, his 3 point percentage has increased dramatically and he is far and away the best defender on the team. He reverted a bit in the Duke game and seemed to press a bit but as of late he has been a total plus. He's also different than Sanders in that his effort is always there.

Early on I would have agreed with you but recently ... not so much.

Edit: In his last 8 games he is shooting just under 42% from 3 and that's with a 1 for 6 against VT. Overall he's shooting 32% so that will tell you how much he has improved.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 22 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#132 scottyno

• 2851 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

BC plays itself out of the andrew luck sweepstakes with a win on senior night over slightly worse georgia tech

#133 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

BC plays itself out of the andrew luck sweepstakes with a win on senior night over slightly worse georgia tech

BC finished it's home slate at 4-4 and I think they were around 5-2 in close games. I couldn't find the stat this morning.

I don't expect a win at Miami now that Johnson has been reinstated but coming out of the disaster that was the OOC schedule I think they showed quite a bit this year and should have folks being positive for the future. I think the consensus is that Ryan Anderson will be a stud, Clifford at least a solid ACC starter and Jackson and Daniels solid rotational players. Heckmann is the real wild card. He battled injuries and mono and couldn't shake the turnover bug. He's one of the few guys who has the ability to take guys off the dribble and make his own shot.

The two guards coming in next year are having great senior seasons and project as starters by year end. BC will also be traveling to Spain this summer and Rahon and Hanlon will be able to travel and play with them. This should contribute greatly to these kids' development.

Oh ... BS_SoxFan ... Humphrey was Jeckyl and Hyde last night. He had a great first half and an absolute abysmal second half. I thought he was going to cost BC the game down the stretch.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 01 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#134 BS_SoxFan

• 1893 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

BC finished it's home slate at 4-4 and I think they were around 5-2 in close games. I couldn't find the stat this morning.

I don't expect a win at Miami now that Johnson has been reinstated but coming out of the disaster that was the OOC schedule I think they showed quite a bit this year and should have folks being positive for the future. I think the consensus is that Ryan Anderson will be a stud, Clifford at least a solid ACC starter and Jackson and Daniels solid rotational players. Heckmann is the real wild card. He battled injuries and mono and couldn't shake the turnover bug. He's one of the few guys who has the ability to take guys off the dribble and make his own shot.

The two guards coming in next year are having great senior seasons and project as starters by year end. BC will also be traveling to Spain this summer and Rahon and Hanlon will be able to travel and play with them. This should contribute greatly to these kids' development.

Oh ... BS_SoxFan ... Humphrey was Jeckyl and Hyde last night. He had a great first half and an absolute abysmal second half. I thought he was going to cost BC the game down the stretch.

Ha yup he was. That three he hit in the first half from 5 feet behind the line that hit the back of the rim, went straight up in the air and somehow went in was one of the more ridiculous makes I've seen in a while.

For the first time in a while (outside of hockey) I actually feel somewhat optimistic about a major program at BC. This team is just so young--and looked like it on many, many occasions--but I really think they have the first pieces of what could be a very good team in 2-3 years. I'm especially excited about watching Anderson and Clifford develop. For the struggles he had this season, Clifford already showed more offensive skill this season that Josh Southern showed in four years at BC. It's refreshing seeing a big man who can actually be given the ball around the elbow, upfake, drive, and dunk the ball.

#135 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

14-0 NC State with 13 minutes left in the first half. Seriously.

#136 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

14-0 NC State with 13 minutes left in the first half. Seriously.

Who scored the TDs?

#137 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7183 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Who scored the TDs?

Well TOB's going to just sit on the ball in the second half so BC's not going to be out of it too long.

#138 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Down 8 with the ball and 21 seconds left. Jordan Daniels then proceeds to turn the ball over twice for 5 free points. Winning the starting PG role is going to be a walk in the park for Olivier Hanlan.

#139 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

49-58 with 6:30 left. Really sucks they played like complete garbage to open the game. Given what I expected at the start of this year, I am really looking forward to next year already. Donahue said before the year it would take 50 games till things started clicking.

#140 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

49-58 with 6:30 left. Really sucks they played like complete garbage to open the game. Given what I expected at the start of this year, I am really looking forward to next year already. Donahue said before the year it would take 50 games till things started clicking.

They went 9-22 (assuming a loss today) for a winning pct. of .290. Assuming Donahue is correct does that mean that next year they will go initally 5-15 in the first 20 games and then maybe .500 in the last 12 or so for a 11-21 overall record? It's a little better, but man, it looks like this is a 4-5 year turnaround before they can even think about the NCAA's again. Thanks Gene!!!

Edited by berniecarbo1, 08 March 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#141 BS_SoxFan

• 1893 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

They went 9-22 (assuming a loss today) for a winning pct. of .290. Assuming Donahue is correct does that mean that next year they will go initally 5-15 in the first 20 games and then maybe .500 in the last 12 or so for a 11-21 overall record? It's a little better, but man, it looks like this is a 4-5 year turnaround before they can even think about the NCAA's again. Thanks Gene!!!

I think you're being unnecessarily pessimistic right now. This team had NINE freshman. The announcers today said no power conference team outside of the military academies had that young of a team this season. These guys showed flashes this year--Anderson looks like a player, Clifford is raw but has potential assuming his frame fills out, and Daniels/Jackson are at the very least going to be solid rotation players. Donahue is putting his system in place, and for stretches this season you could see the potential this team has around 2 years down the road. If, two years from now, we're still looking at a 10-15 win team then I'll agree with you, but I'm pretty optimistic about this team moving forward.

#142 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11329 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Firing Skinner and hiring Donahue was basically the only thing Gene hasn't screwed up. This year was a guaranteed wash. Next year, with continued improvement and 2 solid guards (and hopefully 1 more player) coming in, we should be better.

#143 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think you're being unnecessarily pessimistic right now. This team had NINE freshman. The announcers today said no power conference team outside of the military academies had that young of a team this season. These guys showed flashes this year--Anderson looks like a player, Clifford is raw but has potential assuming his frame fills out, and Daniels/Jackson are at the very least going to be solid rotation players. Donahue is putting his system in place, and for stretches this season you could see the potential this team has around 2 years down the road. If, two years from now, we're still looking at a 10-15 win team then I'll agree with you, but I'm pretty optimistic about this team moving forward.

No....I am taking Donahue at his word. He said it would take 50 games to get the team to start playing consistently better. If you look at what they did this year and extrapilate it over 50 games, figuring they plateau at a .500 clip for the balance of the year and then ramp up after that, you are looking at something like 11-13 wins next year. I just did the math. I honestly am taking no position on the team at all. Obviously in hoops 1 or 2 stud recruits changes everything...but assuming they don;t get the next Patrick Ewing, just take Donahue at his word and do the math...11-13 wins next year would be what he is talking about.

Edited by berniecarbo1, 08 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#144 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Rumor has it Caudill is sniffing around for transfer options. I'm not sure he was ever going to contribute for a decent ACC team anyway.

#145 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

So word is that UConn granted Oriakhi his release to every school except BC. On some level I find this to be very funny. You show 'em UConn!

Edit: They also blocked Duke. Um ... yeah UConn's not getting into the ACC anytime soon.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 27 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#146 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

So word is that UConn granted Oriakhi his release to every school except BC. On some level I find this to be very funny. You show 'em UConn!

Edit: They also blocked Duke. Um ... yeah UConn's not getting into the ACC anytime soon.

I can't blame them. I didn't see Oriakhi coming to BC anyway, but I guess you never know

#147 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

I can't blame them. I didn't see Oriakhi coming to BC anyway, but I guess you never know

Actually, it seemed like there was a decent possibility of late and now I am thinking it was probably more likely given UConn's action.

#148 Dan Murfman

• 2351 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Why am I not surprised a BC grad is lying about UConn?

http://www.courant.c...0,6068317.story

Edited by Dan Murfman, 27 March 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#149 StuckOnYouk

• 1938 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

At the very least I'm sure Oriakhi could move to the ACC and find a way to beat Lehigh in a big spot.

Seriously though, Oriakhi for some reason thinks of himself as prepping for the NBA. But he's not an NBA type. Has no consistency and can get outworked by smaller guys near the boards. I'd be shocked if he went to a program that wasn't top 25.

Edited by StuckOnYouk, 27 March 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#150 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Cute story but he has been granted full release except no Big East school.

http://www.courant.c...0,6068317.story

Yeah. Was just coming on to post this. Bad Info.