Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

What's wrong with the Bruins?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

#1 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

I'm just kidding - kind of interesting what a difference a year can make. A year ago the Bruins were the redheaded stepchild of the Boston sports scene and fast forward to this year, we're all thinking "Thank God for the Bruins". It's pretty comforting thinking about the state and the future of the franchise. The future of the franchise is in the hands of Lucic/Krejci/Bergy/Marchand/Seguin/Rask, the salary cap is in great shape, the farm system is flush with talent and we have a GM and President committed to winning. This is one of the best times to be a Bruins fan.

A few observations about the current squad (after a measly 4 games in):

- I feel pretty comfortable, given the history of the coach, to be able to judge the PP and, yup, it's still a problem. As we saw last year in the playoffs, they can obviously survive without it. Will this team continue to succeed going against the grain? It's common knowledge that a successful team needs to have great special teams, isn't it? Are the Bruins writing a new formula for winning by having two great goaltenders, playing sound defense and dominating 5 on 5 play? They're currently 1-3 because they've played lackluster 5 on 5 AND the PP has been abysmal again, but I really can't get myself to complain about the PP because I know they can dominate if they just wake up playing 5 on 5.

- Thomas and Rask are going to absolutely dominate this year, even more so than last year. It's actually been pretty refreshing how the team has handled Rask and his attitude has made him one of my favorite Bruins. He seems to really enjoy the team and his role (obviously knowing he'll be the man soon given Thomas' age). I wouldn't be surprised if the duo won the Jennings award this year.

- It's interesting to me how little changes Claude has made so far. I thought winning a Stanley Cup would give him the cache to change some of the things he does that haven't been successful (like the PP), but it seems to have validated his methodology and he's stuck by it. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, but we'll see how the season progresses.

- Marchand is fucking awesome.

- Seguin looks unreal

I feel comfortable saying those things after 5 games. Discuss.

Edit: I can't count, thanks Tito. Screw you jsinger.

Edited by FL4WL3SS, 13 October 2011 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Titoschew

• 2733 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

It's a measly four games at 1-3, but otherwise, yes.

#3 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9642 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

They have played 4 games so far. 1-3

#4 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8281 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

I just got finished breaking down every torrent from last year's games. Now you want me to comment on this year's team?

#5 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9488 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

I think the thread title was a joke, guys. I got that from the first three words of his post.

One development that I reaaaally like - Seguin is shooting pretty much every chance he gets. The Bruins have a bunch of playmakers who occasionally look for the extra pass rather than shooting (Bergeron, I'm looking at you), which is totally fine, but it's really important that they have some guys who will fire the puck on net too. Seguin is shooting almost every time he touches the puck anywhere near the hash marks. I love it.

#6 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

They play better when they are mean, and so far, they haven't been mean. They need to ramp up the physical game and start hitting. The most alarming thing to me was how they got shoved around in their own building against the Avs on Monday. They don't get pushed around like that very often.

I'm not too concerned yet. They'll pick it up, I think they're just adjusting back into regular season mode. The biggest positives have been Seguin, Marchand, Pouliot and the goaltending. Seguin looks like he's starting to make a Stamkosian leap, and Claude is rewarding him. He looks confident and poised. His on-ice vision is fantastic and he's making quick decisions with the puck. They have 7 goals as a team, and he's factored in 4 of them. And it's not measly secondary assists, he's creating the chances on his own. Really encouraging.

#7 thehitcat

• 542 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

I would like them to stop losing. Also I need Jack and Brick. I have only been able to watch one NESN game and between the Versus coverage and the losing and the Red Sox I am grumpy.

#8 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2639 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

I think they just need to get used to the bullseye on their back and expect every opponent's A game throughout the season. Some sloppy play so far but they will be fine and yeah Seguin looks like a 50-60 point player this year at worst.

Pouliot has also been a pleasant surprise, seems to be working his ass off.

#9 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 12748 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Plus if they're facing any other goalie than Cam Fucking Ward last night they're 2-2.
I (sports) hate that guy.

#10 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Plus if they're facing any other goalie than Cam Fucking Ward last night they're 2-2.
I (sports) hate that guy.

Really? I think he's a really good goalie and he's never done anything for me to hate him except be really fucking good against the Bruins.

#11 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Seguin seems to be pushing himself into the top 6, I'm just not sure who gets bumped in favor of him. It's a good problem to have. Personally, I'd like to see Seguin with someone like Peverly who can match his speed and then someone like Marchand or Lucic who can get dirty in the corners and then finish when needed.

#12 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4291 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

Really? I think he's a really good goalie and he's never done anything for me to hate him except be really fucking good against the Bruins.

Prove that he isn't (sports) hateable with at least 20 minutes of video breakdown along with a voice over (preferably by James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman) explaining in detail his (sports) likeable characteristics.

#13 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 12748 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Right, that's the (or at least my) definition of sports hate. I don't hate hate him. I sports hate him because he kills the Bruins.

#14 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I hate this new standard set by KFP, but hey, I don't write the rules around here.

#15 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Right, that's the (or at least my) definition of sports hate. I don't hate hate him. I sports hate him because he kills the Bruins.

Respect.

#16 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5888 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

If Kaberle had scored on that PP shot last night I'd be in the market for a new TV today ....

It seems like Corvo is good addition to the PP, but since their 5-5 offense hasn't been so great, there's nothing to compare their 5-4 to yet.

In 5-5, it seems like their #1 play is take a bad angle shot with a guy crashing the net. They're running it but with low percentage shots. The #2 play is the shot from the point, and they're just not in the right position for the rebounds. Hard to tell if thaty's luck, or guys getting pushed out of position, or what.

The only thing that concerns me about Seguin is some of his long passes are getting intercepted. HOpefully with more playing time he'll have a better rhythm with his linemates.

#17 slidingsideways

• knows when to say when

• 725 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Well, he's also a Yankees fan.

Edited by slidingsideways, 13 October 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#18 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4291 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Well then string him up by the giblets.

#19 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4606 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

I hate this new standard set by KFP, but hey, I don't write the rules around here.

Fuckin' right you don't.

#20 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8456 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Seguin seems to be pushing himself into the top 6, I'm just not sure who gets bumped in favor of him. It's a good problem to have. Personally, I'd like to see Seguin with someone like Peverly who can match his speed and then someone like Marchand or Lucic who can get dirty in the corners and then finish when needed.

I think last night was a good example of why Seguin will ultimately belong at center. He was excellent on breakouts... "made himself available" to the D, and handled and passed the puck very effectively coming out of the defensive zone. That's a skill that doesn't come into play as much for wingers.

I think they need to shuffle the lines a bit once Krejci is back to get Seguin into more of an offensive situation (whether he is top 6 or not). Peverley is an option, and at this point I'd even think about Horton or Lucic. I'd think about switching Paille and Kelly, too, because if nothing else Paille is fast enough to keep up with Seguin and help on the forecheck.

#21 erfus

• 1565 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

I think last night was a good example of why Seguin will ultimately belong at center. He was excellent on breakouts... "made himself available" to the D, and handled and passed the puck very effectively coming out of the defensive zone. That's a skill that doesn't come into play as much for wingers.

I think they need to shuffle the lines a bit once Krejci is back to get Seguin into more of an offensive situation (whether he is top 6 or not). Peverley is an option, and at this point I'd even think about Horton or Lucic. I'd think about switching Paille and Kelly, too, because if nothing else Paille is fast enough to keep up with Seguin and help on the forecheck.

I still like the idea of using Seguin on the wing with Bergeron and Marchand for now. I'd like to see Bergeron get a shot with 2 offensively productive linemates...not to mention the 2 most creative guys on the team in terms of creating their own scoring chances. Long term I agree he's going to be a center.

Too soon to tell on most of the other stuff. Horton and Looch look a little sleepy, but they went through similar stretches last season. I'm still not a fan of Kelly at the 3rd line center position...I'd rather see him on the 4th line. How to do that, I'm less sure of...maybe mix and match Caron-Peverley-Pouliot. Kelly, offensively, seems like a black hole and I'm not a fan of old school 3rd line checking lines. I'm not sure how many Cups they need to win before I come around. Maybe 3 or 4. :)

#22 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8456 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Well, last night's game was a good answer to this thread. A bit of a slow start but they got better and better as the game went on. If 1 or 2 of their posts goes in, they win this in regulation.

They need McQuaid or Kampfer healthy - they clearly don't trust Bartkowski, probably for good reason. At best, he needs more AHL seasoning, and Providence could use him.

I wonder what will happen with the lines when Krejci comes back. The past two games, Seguin has really shown that center is where he belongs. There's still plenty of room for improvement in his defensive game, but he has been very good on breakouts - sometimes an area of weakness for Claude's Bruins. He gets back deep enough to be an easy outlet for the defenseman, and then makes the right pass to start the attack. Seguin, Bergeron and Krejci are all top 6 forwards on this team, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to playy of them at wing. I would think about moving either Lucic or Horton to Seguin's line, and giving Pouliot a look on Krejci's line. The one thing I hope we don't see is Seguin back to wing on line 3.

Also, on the PP, I wouldn't keep Krejci, Horton, and Lucic together. It's like the Bruins have one PP unit of guys who tend to stand still, and one unit of guys who skate. I'd like to see them switch Krejci or Lucic to the other unit.

#23 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 24798 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

I don't have specifics, but I was shocked last night at how lethargic they seemed. They got beat to a ton of pucks, got pushed off the puck easily...it was pretty stunning, actually. That's one hell of a Cup hangover.

#24 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

I don't have specifics, but I was shocked last night at how lethargic they seemed. They got beat to a ton of pucks, got pushed off the puck easily...it was pretty stunning, actually. That's one hell of a Cup hangover.

Really? I honestly thought last night was the first time this year they came out looking to set the tone physically. They were flying ealry on, and I didn't have a problem with their energy at all last night. If anything, I thought they had too much energy, which is what led to the fiasco in the 3rd period. IMO, the only "hangover game" so far was the Colorado snoozer.

To me, they seem to be in one of those ruts where they can't catch a break offensively. They're buzzing around in the offensive end, hit some posts, get stoned by Ward, have pucks roll off sticks, and can't buy a goal. Then every mistake they make defensively seems to wind up in the back of the net. Lot's of frustration.

#25 timlinin8th

• 366 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

To me, they seem to be in one of those ruts where they can't catch a break offensively. They're buzzing around in the offensive end, hit some posts, get stoned by Ward, have pucks roll off sticks, and can't buy a goal. Then every mistake they make defensively seems to wind up in the back of the net. Lot's of frustration.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the effort either, especially compared to the beginning of last season when they seemed to take periods off every game. They don't seem to be getting a lot of secondary scoring opportunities, mostly just shot - save - opponent clears.... there never seems to be anybody in position to gobble up any rebounds and get them in the net. Also, in cases where there is a scrum in front of the net for the puck (there were one or two last night) they never seem to be able to come away with it. And yeah, a lot of dumb luck by hitting a lot of posts or unlucky bounces in the offensive end too.

#26 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Really? I honestly thought last night was the first time this year they came out looking to set the tone physically. They were flying ealry on, and I didn't have a problem with their energy at all last night. If anything, I thought they had too much energy, which is what led to the fiasco in the 3rd period. IMO, the only "hangover game" so far was the Colorado snoozer.

The 3rd period particularly stood out to me as them having no jump whatsoever. It's so early in the season I can't imagine they're gassed already.

#27 Terras

• Says he wants a Revolution

• 1469 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

The 3rd period particularly stood out to me as them having no jump whatsoever. It's so early in the season I can't imagine they're gassed already.

I would guess that between playing 4 D part of the game (really only 5 at max with Bartkowski not even getting 5 minutes), having the PK units out so often, and having a number of players booted toward the end of the game all compounded into a couple of players (Ference and Boychuk in particular) being gassed at the end, but overall I didn't see anything wrong with the team effort or fitness.

EDIT: Ference, Boychuk and Bergeron all had more TOI on the PK alone than Bartkowski had all night. Ference, Boychuk, and Seids all passed the 25 minute mark, picking up the slack from when Chara was off.

Edited by Terras, 19 October 2011 - 09:47 AM.

#28 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10726 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Yeah I actually thought the Bruins outskated Carolina for most of the game, at least until the parade to the penalty box started. I mentioned it in the game thread but I was encouraged by how they played and the emotion they showed, even though it was pretty dumb in hindsight. I'd much rather this than have them not caring and being on cruise control.

I think they'll right the ship no problem, they're playing well, they have a great goalie tandem, and they are well aware of what they need to do. They just are snakebit right now (which tends to happen to them), they are thin on defense for the moment, and they are trying to find their groove. They'll figure it out, I just hope they don't let Buffalo get too far out in front before they do.

#29 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

They'll figure it out, I just hope they don't let Buffalo get too far out in front before they do.

Who cares? A wise man once told me, all you gotta do is get into the playoffs.

#30 The Four Peters

• 10726 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

I just hate Buffalo and don't want to see Lindy Ruff get the pleasure of a division title.

#31 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Who cares? A wise man once told me, all you gotta do is get into the playoffs.

I'm not sure that's really true any more. I think the last 10-12 Cup winners have all been in the upper half of their conference. There's no 7 or 8 seeds winning it these days. They get to the Finals on occasion (Edmonton comes to mind a few years ago) but the never seem to win.

#32 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8456 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

I would guess that between playing 4 D part of the game (really only 5 at max with Bartkowski not even getting 5 minutes), having the PK units out so often, and having a number of players booted toward the end of the game all compounded into a couple of players (Ference and Boychuk in particular) being gassed at the end, but overall I didn't see anything wrong with the team effort or fitness.

EDIT: Ference, Boychuk and Bergeron all had more TOI on the PK alone than Bartkowski had all night. Ference, Boychuk, and Seids all passed the 25 minute mark, picking up the slack from when Chara was off.

They badly need McQuaid or Kampfer back - Bartkowski may be the best they have after the top 7 (if one of the Prov guys was a better option, he'd be here now), but he's nowhere near ready.

#33 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'm not sure that's really true any more. I think the last 10-12 Cup winners have all been in the upper half of their conference. There's no 7 or 8 seeds winning it these days. They get to the Finals on occasion (Edmonton comes to mind a few years ago) but the never seem to win.

Maybe, but not winning the division doesn't exclude you from winning the cup, which is really what I was going for.

Oh, that and I wanted to sarcastically call TFP a wise man.

#34 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

About time they had an offensive explosion. Although he didn't do much to help, getting Krejci back was big. This might be the game to get the team rolling.

Thanks Kessel.

#35 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

My wife asked me why Kessel had the douche face going in his "mug shot" on NESN. I laughed.

#36 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

My wife asked me why Kessel had the douche face going in his "mug shot" on NESN. I laughed.

Your wife is a smart woman.

#37 The Four Peters

• 10726 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Your wife is a smart woman.

I dunno, she did marry SJH.

#38 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

I dunno, she did marry SJH.

Wow, didn't even try on that one huh?

#39 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

Bah. Low-hanging fruit. Remember, she's nearsighted. [pumps fist]

#40 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4291 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Doesn't explain how she stands the smell.

#41 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

I smell like African violets, you prick.

#42 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4291 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Yeah. Right after they've been mulched.

#43 The Four Peters

• 10726 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Wow, didn't even try on that one huh?

Nope, I gave that one the full Kessel.

#44 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8281 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

You guys sound like Toucher and Rich.

Without the laughs. :rolleyes:

#45 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

As of now, Chiarelli is not looking to make any moves. I can't say that I'm disappointed, I'd like to see them try and gel and maybe give some of the kids a shot to take some spots (although, providence looks like dogshit right now).

As the article mentions, they're getting a ton of scoring chances, they're just not capitalizing. Outshooting teams by a wide margin. Once those pucks start going in the net, I think the team will be alright.

http://espn.go.com/b...tance-to-tinker

#46 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8456 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

As of now, Chiarelli is not looking to make any moves. I can't say that I'm disappointed, I'd like to see them try and gel and maybe give some of the kids a shot to take some spots (although, providence looks like dogshit right now).

As the article mentions, they're getting a ton of scoring chances, they're just not capitalizing. Outshooting teams by a wide margin. Once those pucks start going in the net, I think the team will be alright.

http://espn.go.com/b...tance-to-tinker

I agree. I think they have gone through several rough stretches in the Julien era that seemed far more worrisome than this one. If anything, I'd like to see some minor tinkering with the lines (except Kelly Seguin Lucic) and the lineup (another look at Caron). Seems like they have had either 0 or 1 line carrying them in each game. Bergeron/Marchand/Peverley in the first couple of games, Seguin Kelly Lucic in the last two. They aren't that far off from clicking.

#47 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2154 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

http://www.weei.com/...reakout-time-br

Did the headline writer bother reading the article?

#48 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Ummm.....dead last in the Eastern Conference this morning. :unsure:

I dunno, guys, it's getting late early around here. Probably time to start wondering what the hell's going on.

#49 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

They can't put the puck in the net, that's what the hell is going on around here.

#50 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24798 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

They can't put the puck in the net, that's what the hell is going on around here.

So we're back to it being a couple of years ago, when they were last in the league in scoring?

They didn't have much trouble scoring last year. What the fuck's going on now?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users