Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bryce harper still cheers for the Yankees

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 NYCrusader

• 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

http://www.washingto...83XRL_blog.html

Posted Image

#2 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22766 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Bless his heart, he is special.

#3 mpx42

• 2460 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

At least he sticks to his guns. I guess.

#4 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41570 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Nice list of favorite teams, LeBryce.

#5 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1258 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, if you are a fan of EITHER the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, OR Duke basketball then I can't be friends with you. If you like ALL of them? You're a front runner. No question.

#6 adam42381

• 1861 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

I must be the anti-front runner as I am a fan of the rival of each of the teams you listed. Redskins, Red Sox, Celtics and UNC.

#7 abty

• PipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

Another egotistical asshole who won't have the balls to lead a team to slay the dragon - rather take the easy way out like Arod and the rest of the Yankees. You can't be the greatest player ever if you join a loaded team. The greatest player ever puts a team on the map. Hopefully he grows up and realizes this - and then joins the Mets. #objective

#8 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2819 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

WTF are some of you talking about? This is a 19-20 year old kid who likes his favorite team (shitty choice or not). That's it. If it wasn't Harper and it wasn't the Yankees he rooted for, this wouldn't even be a thread.

#9 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21366 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

WTF are some of you talking about? This is a 19-20 year old kid who likes his favorite team (shitty choice or not). That's it. If it wasn't Harper and it wasn't the Yankees he rooted for, this wouldn't even be a thread.

Er, it's a little odd that a member of another franchise is actively rooting for the Yankees, or any other team for that matter. In fact, I can't think of another such example.

#10 shoebooty

• 84 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

I think it is incomprehensible to most fans that if you are getting paid a fat salary by one organization and are considered part of the future of that franchise then you should stfu and not openly root for another club.

#11 Brianish

• 4288 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

It's not like his organization is still competing.

#12 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13948 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

I think it is incomprehensible to most fans that if you are getting paid a fat salary by one organization and are considered part of the future of that franchise then you should stfu and not openly root for another club.

I don't understand this post.

Are you saying that fans expect the players on their team to root for other teams?

#13 shoebooty

• 84 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

No. I am saying it is beyond belief for fans that a player openly roots for another team.
I hated that David Wells absolutely loved the Yankees but at least he didn't brag about it while in a Sox uniform.

#14 timlinin8th

• 402 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Would people get pissed off if the Reds made it to the postseason when the Sox didn't and Youkilis was seen in attendance at one of the games? Gimme a break. Harper's a donkey and I hate the Yankees, but he's a fan. So what?

#15 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9959 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Er, it's a little odd that a member of another franchise is actively rooting for the Yankees, or any other team for that matter. In fact, I can't think of another such example.

Kevin Millar filming a spot for Fox that aired prior to game 7 of the 2007 ALCS urging the Red Sox to complete their comeback against the Indians. What made this especially odd was that Millar filmed the spot as a member of the Baltimore Orioles.

#16 cromulence

• 1894 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, if you are a fan of EITHER the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, OR Duke basketball then I can't be friends with you.

If you're serious this is pretty sad. You can't be friends with a fan of any of those teams? Even if they were born and raised in the area and root for them for the right reasons (i.e. not a bandwagoner)? Not sure if you realize this, but to the rest of the country, the Red Sox are pretty damn close to being on the Frontrunner/Bandwagoner list, if not already.

#17 abty

• PipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I think those of us busting his balls are having a bit of fun. It's just funny how he and Lebron are going through the same path (prodigies in their sports, highly touted since high school, born way out of nyc) and are Yankee 'fans'. It's fun to bust balls. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

#18 finnVT

• 1056 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

I thought it was pretty unseemly when Millar did it, and I feel that way about Harper as well.

For some reason, the hypothetical with Youkilis doesn't really bother me much, and I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps because in his case, I wouldn't interpret it as Youk feeling like he'd actually prefer to be playing for the Reds (maybe I just pity the Reds? and there's certainly no envy/insecurity there...), whereas in both Millar and Harper's cases, you do kind of get the sense that they feel like they'd be happier on the Sox/Yanks, respectively.

#19 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21366 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

Kevin Millar filming a spot for Fox that aired prior to game 7 of the 2007 ALCS urging the Red Sox to complete their comeback against the Indians. What made this especially odd was that Millar filmed the spot as a member of the Baltimore Orioles.

So your best example is a noted clown and media whore?

Anyways, my point is that most players - meaning roughly 99% - have somehow resisted openly rooting for other teams. Especially when you're the top pick and future of a franchise, not a fat, aging mercenary who plays 1B/DH for an awful team.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 09 October 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#20 Brianish

• 4288 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

For some reason, the hypothetical with Youkilis doesn't really bother me much, and I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps because in his case, I wouldn't interpret it as Youk feeling like he'd actually prefer to be playing for the Reds (maybe I just pity the Reds? and there's certainly no envy/insecurity there...), whereas in both Millar and Harper's cases, you do kind of get the sense that they feel like they'd be happier on the Sox/Yanks, respectively.

Might also have to do with the fact that attending a game is a private thing, whereas filming a spot or even putting it on an oft-read twitter feed are public statements.

#21 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20456 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

SoSH is a lot of fun when the site is collectively butthurt.

#22 Snowplow

• 917 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

So your best example is a noted clown and media whore?

Sounds just like Harper to me.

#23 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25375 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

You people getting offended this easily need to get be offended more often.

Christ. He's a stupid 19 year old kid. He'll grow out of it.

#24 LogansDad

• SoSH Member

• 5237 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have to agree with the people saying this is just a 19 year old kid who hasn't cut ties with his favorite team, and I don't really have a problem with that.

I understand that he is a part of the Nat's organization, but he hasn't played a single game above AA yet, has likely barely made acquaintances with anyone on the Major League team and doesn't yet feel the "team pride" past the point of having millions of dollars to spend.

I also think that if his tweet had been about the Tigers, Brewers, or really any team that isn't the Yankees, this thread would have never been posted here.

#25 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9959 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thank you. I just don't understand the concern here.

#26 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7757 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Mark Buehrle admitted to rooting for the Cardinals whenever they were in the playoffs a few years ago, but that's as close as you get.

Personally I'm not offended--doesn't appear anyone else here is, could be wrong--but if I were a Nationals fan I'd think it was beyond lame. Would kind of suck to have your franchise player in waiting openly rooting for another team.

There's no way someone with that much hype and ability isn't a complete fucking turd at 19, so I don't think its that surprising he is.

#27 Bigpupp

• 794 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Didn't Francoeur admit to still having a red sox credit card when he was with the Braves?

#28 phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11077 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:59 AM

This little shit is so going to sign with the Yankees in 2018.

I hope he flames out.

#29 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Mark Buehrle admitted to rooting for the Cardinals whenever they were in the playoffs a few years ago, but that's as close as you get.

Personally I'm not offended--doesn't appear anyone else here is, could be wrong--but if I were a Nationals fan I'd think it was beyond lame. Would kind of suck to have your franchise player in waiting openly rooting for another team.

There's no way someone with that much hype and ability isn't a complete fucking turd at 19, so I don't think its that surprising he is.

Well, I'm a Nats fan and I'm not all that irked. Yes, it's lame, but it doesn't worry me. I hope he tweets this crap for the next five years while he's knocking the cover off the ball and sending the Phillies and the rest of the NL East into the crapper.

I also hope that, by the time he gets to free agency, the notion that every good free agent wants to sign with the Yankees is an old-fashioned relic.

#30 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7757 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Well, I'm a Nats fan and I'm not all that irked. Yes, it's lame, but it doesn't worry me. I hope he tweets this crap for the next five years while he's knocking the cover off the ball and sending the Phillies and the rest of the NL East into the crapper.

I also hope that, by the time he gets to free agency, the notion that every good free agent wants to sign with the Yankees is an old-fashioned relic.

Totally fair. On the field is always more important, for sure. I stand corrected.

#31 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22586 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Didn't Francoeur admit to still having a red sox credit card when he was with the Braves?

Yerp.

#32 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383211 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

I remember when LeBron went to a Yankees playoff game wearing a Yankee hat and Indians fans went nuts. One guy I know said he'd never root for LeBron again. Athletes do stupid things and fans overreact to them. This shouldn't be surprising.

#33 fairlee76

• 1481 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Au contraire, I would guess that the folks getting offended by this get offended plenty often.

I suppose I can see some of the outrage if you are a Nationals fan. But would that outrage not be better-directed at the people responsible for the team's performance? Like the front office and current group of players?

#34 Orel Miraculous

• 1480 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Yerp.

Nerp. I'm pretty sure Francoeur just said he had a Sox credit card in high school.