Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Rosenthal, Sun-Times: Francona not expected back

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
897 replies to this topic

#101 Zupcic Fan

• loves 8 inch long meat

• 2579 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and was trying to figure out why it is that after the loss the other night, I was asleep in 5 minutes while in some past years I used to toss and turn for hours, and it hit me that for whatever reason, there are very few players on the Red Sox that I really like. I get annoyed by guys who bitch at every close ball and strike call, who human rain delay every game by staring in at the catcher until the batter steps out, who bore me to tears in every interview, who never improve the quality of their at bats, ever. Over the past 10 years there have been a bunch of players I really loved pulling for, and most of them are gone.
I'm not surprised there are problems in this clubhouse. There are so many guys that I remember saying to people something like " too bad he's on the Sox. I'd love to root against this guy. He seems like such an asshole". But the one constant is that I have always really liked and respected Terry Francona. This news is upsetting to me in a way that I would not react to similar news about any player on the team. Some of these prima donnas deserve to be managed by a jerk like Bobby Valentine.

#102 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8250 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

If all of this is true, AND both Tito and Theo (rumored) leave, I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at a current Baltimore Orioles scenario in a few years where ownership keeps throwing money at big name guys for the draw while having puppets at GM and Manager.

I really hope I'm wrong about that.

#103 Buck Showalter

• 4988 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

If Theo sticks around - how about Buck Showalter as a replacement for Francona?

LOL

Edited by Buck Showalter, 30 September 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#104 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7473 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

If all of this is true, AND both Tito and Theo (rumored) leave, I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at a current Baltimore Orioles scenario in a few years where ownership keeps throwing money at big name guys for the draw while having puppets at GM and Manager.

Based on the respective track records of John Henry and Peter Angelos, do you have any vaguely rational reason for believing this might actually happen?

#105 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14465 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

LOL

Since it is a collection of overpriced and underachieving talent, Buck has tons of experience with that.

#106 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 13996 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

How much would you pay for the uncensored back-and-forth between Ozzie and CHB every game?

I'd pay not to see it assuming it required Ozzie Guillen managing the Red Sox. Talk about a guy who puts himself first!

#107 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9410 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

Wow .... I understand that disappointment can sometime warp our sense of perspective, but take a step back and read what you just wrote.

Not sure what else to say here.

#108 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7270 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

How long before Bowa's name gets rumored to come and discipline these players?

#109 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5264 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

If Theo and Tito are both gone, this team is in for a major overhaul. We can win with these guys, they don't need to get blown up.

I think that's just it. I think this team is as far from competing as a team who misses the playoffs by one game can get. Francona knows this, and he realizes that it's not worth sticking around just to have a malcontent pitching staff form a sort of mutiny against him. If this team had a chance, despite these significant flaws, Tito probably is still managing, in the playoffs tonight. This collapse seems to be the tip of the ice berg. And no, we still haven't hit rock bottom. Deeply troubling.

Tito deserved better than this. I never respected anyone more than him in this game.

Edited by greek_gawd_of_walks, 30 September 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#110 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8250 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

Based on the respective track records of John Henry and Peter Angelos, do you have any vaguely rational reason for believing this might actually happen?

Nope, just looking at the overall landscape of available coaches and GMs and I don't see any that I would want running the team. It may be more likely that we are looking at another Kevin Kennedy, Jimy Williams, and Grady Little Era, but that would be a LOT more fun now wouldn't it.

To be fair, I knew nothing about Francona either and wasn't sure how capable he would be and he turned out OK.

I'm more disappointed in Francona leaving than the Sox collapse because that means to me that the team is in much worse shape internally than I thought. I was hoping that it was only moving 2 or 3 players to fix this and it appears much much deeper than that.

#111 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7473 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm more disappointed in Francona leaving than the Sox collapse because that means to me that the team is in much worse shape internally than I thought. I was hoping that it was only moving 2 or 3 players to fix this and it appears much much deeper than that.

The press conference yesterday made it clear that whatever is going on is serious, but "serious" is by no means synonymous with "catastrophic" or "cancer-ridden." It just means that it's something that needs to be addressed. In many instances, organizations can absolutely induce significant systemic change with a small number of strategic moves.

However serious the situation might be, the Boston job is still a very attractive one, and there are a lot of good guys out there to be had--many of whom are not or barely on our radar.

#112 El Tiante

• 1709 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

If this is indeed true and Tito is gone I am saddened. Overall, these were the best of times as a Sox fan. He was a big part of that. But, the business of baseball marches on. Some one had to take the fall for this season. Not saying it is all on Tito...but you know the saying. This group hired Tito so I will trust in their ability to find another good skipper for the Sox.

#113 glennhoffmania

• peaks prematurely

• 8381596 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

LOL

I'd prefer you to the real Buck.

This is interesting news to wake up to this morning. Can't say I'm surprised after watching the press conference. This has turned into one of the worst months of baseball ever.

#114 JimD

• 4414 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

The prognostications of doom and gloom are misguided, IMO. Ive believed for a long time that the impact of a baseball manager is massively overrated, and while I want Tito to be Red Sox manager as long as hell stay, if hes reach the point where he has decided hes had enough the team will survive. He certainly did not cover himself in glory over the past month with his managerial decisions or his ability to keep the club focused on the task at hand.

Pena is an intriguing choice I think hes got the right personality for Boston and Im ready for nightly postgame media discussions in Spanglish! Hed also bring some insight on the inner workings of one of our major rivals. As much as Theo is being dumped on for some of his recent questionable decisions (and rightfully so), I trust the process they used when they hired their last manager back in late 2003. Im sure they want to find the next Tito and will look at all appropriate candidates. They will have their pick the idea that the Boston job is tarnished now is nonsense. There will be plenty of good candidates who rightfully will see this as an opportunity to manage in the big time.

As for the team itself do I really need to point out that a single replacement-level pitcher was the difference between a playoff berth and this collapse? Lackey will not be in a Red Sox uniform next year either he will be recovering from surgery (likely, IMO) or he will be gone. The conditioning issues will be addressed. The manager of the 2012 Red Sox is going to take the field next April with a team built around Gonzalez, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Aceves and Bard. I believe Crawford will improve and the Salty/Lavarnway catching combo will be fine. Bring in a decent RF and 3B/DH type, a few pitching additions and this team will contend for the playoffs.

People, John Henry is still running the show here. I cannot believe that the man who has done so much right for this team over the past decade is now completely clueless. Its unfortunate that weve reached this point but I still trust him and Theo to make the right moves. FWIW, I dont think Epstein is going anywhere, not now in fact, I think this collapse gives him greater license to jettison some fan favorites without having to worry about a PR hit. In the words of Rahm Emmanuel, Never let a crisis go to waste.

Edited by JimD, 30 September 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#115 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9642 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Herald (Tomase):

Awesome. Any doubts whatsoever that Beckett, Lackey & Buchholz were among them?

No doubt it was Lackey. Especially after I saw this guy hammered at Bar Louie in spring training in Fort Myers.

#116 Rudy Pemberton

• just plum doesn't understand

• 27061 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

My initial reaction: this sucks. But, after thinking about it, I think it's necessary and possibly a good thing. The guy was clearly burned out. He's been here 8 years- that's a long time to manage a team in any city, especially Boston. If he comes back, all he'll hear about is last year. The dark cloud would hang over the team all year, even if they have a big lead. He certainly didn't instill confidence down the stretch.

Change is good, for everyone involved. This may have just run its course. I'd be inclined to get rid of nearly all ties and move on from '04. Do you name Hale manager and keep some level of continuity, or bring in someone completely new? I lean towards the former.

(Also- anyone who mentions Tek should get kicked in the teeth. Dude's part of the problem, not a potential manager).

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 30 September 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#117 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9691 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

Can we cut the "I think Theo is leaving" posts? There is nothing to suggest this is the case. Media reports are in fact running to the contrary stating "people close to Theo would be very surprised if he left". He's under contract. If Henry wants him, he can well afford to be the highest bidder for Theo's services. Yesterday, at the press conference, Theo looked and spoke like a man who is staying (he was wearing a Red Sox shirt).

Edited by Trautwein's Degree, 30 September 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#118 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Beckett.

He was great this year, but I have a feeling a lot of this is centered around him somehow. Just a hunch.

They were fine in 2007 with him.

Say what you want about the guy, but this would have never happened with Manny. When Manny was acting up, the team was unified, whether by chemistry or simply in everyone (Francona plus players) trying to rein him in and taking care of a baby. People think Ortiz would have said what he did if Manny was still here? I don't. Manny's presence, good and bad, got the team focused and together.

Manny is sent away, no more pennants and we have the clubhouse troubles.

#119 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11179 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Can we cut the "I think Theo is leaving" posts? There is nothing to suggest this is the case. Media reports are in fact running to the contrary stating "people close to Theo would be very surprised if he left". He's under contract. If Henry wants him, he can well afford to be the highest bidder for Theo's services. Yesterday, at the press conference, Theo looked and spoke like a man who is staying (he was wearing a Red Sox shirt).

What is driving this, I suspect, is that nobody has flat out denied it.

We should get clarity very soon. Ownership will want and is entitled to comfort on this as the GM presumably begins a serach for a new manager as early as today.

#120 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8597 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

You find out who has been letting Manny in the backdoor and get rid of him. Even if it's Ortiz and you have to put him with the Yankees.

I missed this story-Manny was in the clubhouse or something?

#121 someoneanywhere

• 3056 posts

Let's take a step back here.

Tito is coming back if they agree to renew both option years. He bolts if they don't.

And for once, this is not really about the money. He is asking the organization to back him -- to give him some firmness in dealing with the loony bin; to -- yes, indeed -- repair that disconnect that Gammo talked about a few weeks ago. The issue here is the fundamental one of trust; Theo left in a gorilla suit over it. All of the other things take care of themselves if the organization re-commits to him. For whatever reasons, Tito felt betrayed or unsupported this year.

As for the crap: no doubt there's more of it, and it smells worse, in Boston. But the gig is crap. It's going to be waiting on him anywhere he goes. Kenny Williams? He's going to be less of a soap opera than this one? I don't think so.

Whether they re-up him for two -- one won't do, as it is no real confidence and it implicitly blames him -- is the discussion this morning.

#122 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 10397 posts

In all seriousness, if Tito actually walks away here (rather than Theo forcing him out, or health problems), I will have seriously misjudged Tito as a man who was uniquely qualified to manage in this town and for this ownership and management. As a man whose character, resolve and foresight were admirable. Maybe he wasn't the image of emotional intelligence and leadership that I took him for. I would be very shaken - and I hope it isn't true. I guess we'll know soon enough.

This is absurd. Tito is absolutely entitled as a professional and as a human being to decide whether continuing to work here is the best choice for him or not. If he decides it's time to move on, that doesn't diminish his character, resolve, foresight, emotional intelligence or leadership one tiny bit. As far as I can tell, he's been the most dedicated, conscientious, hard-working manager ever to run this club since I've been following it, and he's put up with all kinds of ridiculous crap in his time here. He owes nothing to anybody in Boston at this point; on the contrary, we're indebted to him. If he decides he's been here long enough, good luck to him.

#123 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 19820 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
red sox and francona are parting ways

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman

#124 Oil Can Dan

• 4799 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Let's take a step back here.

Tito is coming back if they agree to renew both option years. He bolts if they don't.

How do you know this to be true? How do you know it's not Tito that does not want his options picked up?

#125 someoneanywhere

• 3056 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

How do you know this to be true? How do you know it's not Tito that does not want his options picked up?

I don't, any more than six pages of thread behind me is "true." That's my read.

#126 Oil Can Dan

• 4799 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Well the initial report was that Tito was going to ask the Sox to decline his option years. So I'd guess then that you're off base in saying that the opposite is what's really going on here.

Tito wants out. They'll spin it as mutual because it's not good business for Tito to fire Boston, but Tito wants out.

#127 PortageeExpress

• 1138 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

As a clarification, under Tito's deal, both option years would have to be exercised at the same time.

The Sox have the option to add two more years, bringing the potential total value of the package to $20 million, or an average of $4 million a year. The two option years must be exercised together after the 2011 season. If the options are not exercised, Francona receives a $750,000 buyout, guaranteeing him an average payout of $4 million over the three years.

Edes - 2/24/08

#128 irinmike

• 430 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Keep continuity? So we want to remain a soft team that does not execute baseball fundamentals properly? Are you kidding me. Its time for a CHANGE. Francona has been good for the Red Sox, but its more then time for a change. This team needs to be shaken up and the status quo is far from the answer!

#129 wutang112878

• 4881 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

Tito wasnt perfect, no manager is, but he was a great manager and the best we have ever had. If he leaves, IMO this will be Theos biggest blunder ever. Moving on from Tito is one thing, but not being able to provide a plan and ensure him that he would fix the team issues that ultimately led to his departure/firiing/whatever is really the larger problem. Tito has taken the 'wont trash my players publicly' approach for the most part which is a very good thing here IMO, that doesnt mean he is soft and that is what to blame for the collapse. The logic that simply changing the manager will fix this situation is very, very flawed.

#130 BlueStateRedSox

• 73 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

So everybody is reporting that Tito is meeting with ownership at 10 am and that the result will be the end of his Boston tenure. The bolded line from the latest Abraham account, in the Globe, got my attention:

http://www.boston.co...ona_red_so.html

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

What seemed evident yesterday is expected to become final today with the Red Sox and Terry Francona parting ways after eight seasons.

The manager will meet with GM Theo Epstein and ownership at 10 a.m. today and the expected resolution according to major league sources will be a mutual agreement for Francona to leave the organization.

The decision is coming from the ownership level according to sources. While GM Theo Epstein was careful to say yesterday that he did not blame Francona, owner John Henry has remained quiet on the subject.

Can somebody more informed/learned than I am explain the likely meaning of this? Coming from LL? Henry? Does that suggest another front office rift between LL and Theo? Should I care, aside from the fact that turmoil is generally (though not always) a bad sign?

#131 someoneanywhere

• 3056 posts

As a clarification, under Tito's deal, both option years would have to be exercised at the same time.

Edes - 2/24/08

Thanks for this. If anything that makes me even more convinced it was the FO that wanted a change.

#132 lexrageorge

• 2836 posts

If Tito is indeed leaving, it's time to clean out the coaching ranks and start anew. DeMarlo Hale is a nice guy and all, but if all the reports of clubhouse issues are true, then they really need to bring in guys who aren't familiar with the current players.

Varitek should be left to walk away; no way he is deserving of a managerial position, or any position, with this ballclub in the near or distant future. Being named captain does bring a certain level of responsibility and expected behavioral leadership, even in baseball, and Varitek chose to punt on both. On top of that, his non-existent baseball skills are totally useless at this point; there's always plenty of backup catchers available in the offseason.

This is a shame in that Tito was the best baseball manager the Red Sox ever had in the modern era. Think back to the parade of clowns that we've suffered through: Don Zimmer, Ralph Houk, John McNamara, Joe Morgan, Butch Hobson, Jimy Williams, Joe Kerrigan, Grady Little. However, this is a different era, and there are many qualified candidates out there. A future manager will have to be comfortable with the sabermetric approach the Sox take, but there are plenty that are these days. And, no the departure of Francona will have no affect on the Sox ability to find qualified candidates; there are many out there that would love the opportunity to manage any major league baseball club, never mind the Red Sox. Finding candidates will be work, but it won't be a problem.

Theo ain't going anywhere; he is still very close to Henry by all accounts. GM's don't get fired for a couple of down years after winning 2 World Series titles. If anything, the ownership will be relying on Theo even more to help fix this mess.

Finally, they have to clean out the club house. Obviously, they can't get rid of everyone who created trouble this year, or you'd probably have 2 guys left on the roster. But they can certainly trim the fat, both figuratively and literally. Lackey has to go; start by putting him on irrevocable waivers once the playoffs end and hope someone is stupid enough to pick him up (doubtful). Send Varitek, Wakefield, JD Drew on their way. Dump Lowrie. Let Papi walk away if he's pushing for 3 years; better to get rid of a guy a year too early than a year too late (plagiarizing Stengel, I believe); that money can be used elsewhere. Addition by subtraction is a viable strategy.

My biggest worry is that I'm not 100% convinced that Theo shares the view that there are significant clubhouse issues, yesterday's press conference notwithstanding. But we shall see...

#133 SawxSince67

• 1674 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Tito, as I understood it, mostly got out of the way of his players. For a period, this was effective.

Even new guys, like Pedey, received that kind of treatment.
"Self-Policing" was Francona's preferred approach.
You're trying, I see the effort, work this out.
Yelling, public tirades, "Paul O'Neilling" water coolers isn't his style.

Now, it's suggested the inmates are running the asylum, they're privileged, complacent: an ass-kicker was required to "fix" the tailspin.

Maybe Tito was as bewildered by the collective slump as the rest of us. He waited on the guys to straighten themselves out, just like the rest of us. Never happened.

So, now they'll get that ass-kicker?

Well, they made their bed.

When the "hands off" Jim Fassel was replaced by a very "hands on" Tom Coughlin, the NY Giant veterans chafed. They bitched publicly about the hard camp and the discipline expected.

Is this where this is going?

I've very much admired Terry Francona. All I got.

#134 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 5962 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and was trying to figure out why it is that after the loss the other night, I was asleep in 5 minutes while in some past years I used to toss and turn for hours, and it hit me that for whatever reason, there are very few players on the Red Sox that I really like. I get annoyed by guys who bitch at every close ball and strike call, who human rain delay every game by staring in at the catcher until the batter steps out, who bore me to tears in every interview, who never improve the quality of their at bats, ever. Over the past 10 years there have been a bunch of players I really loved pulling for, and most of them are gone.
I'm not surprised there are problems in this clubhouse. There are so many guys that I remember saying to people something like " too bad he's on the Sox. I'd love to root against this guy. He seems like such an asshole". But the one constant is that I have always really liked and respected Terry Francona. This news is upsetting to me in a way that I would not react to similar news about any player on the team. Some of these prima donnas deserve to be managed by a jerk like Bobby Valentine.

Zup, you know how much I love Tito. You and I are alike there. I just hope that Kevin McReynolds doesn't become the new manager.

#135 WayneHousieHOF

• wants you to hate boston teams like him

• 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for this. If anything that makes me even more convinced it was the FO that wanted a change.

I wonder what kind of input, if any, Theo gave Henry and co.? It's management's call, obviously, but I wonder where Theo stood on this? Did he stand up/fight for Tito?

#136 Rudy Pemberton

• 27061 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

Is there any indication that Tito wanted to come back?

#137 Clemente38

• 1301 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

Henry had the ultimate call on Tito according to Channel 5. Mutual decision but ownership definitely made the call according to the Special Report.

Tito paying the price. Wouldn't have been my call, but it isn't my money either.

#138 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 10397 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'm in the middle on this. I think Tito has been, and still is, an outstanding manager, but that doesn't mean that lemonade couldn't be made from the lemon of his departure. Whenever anybody's been managing the same people for a long time it can become a little harder to kick their ass effectively; that's just human nature. So I think a managerial change could indeed be an opportunity to clean up the team's act a little bit. Some things would be lost, some things gained. If they make a good choice on the new guy, hopefully the gains will at least equal the losses.

@lexrageorge--why "dump Lowrie"? I mean, you could certainly make a case for moving him on baseball grounds, but it seems like a funny note to hit in this context. Is there evidence that he's been a clubhouse problem?

#139 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 24802 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Henry had the ultimate call on Tito according to Channel 5. Mutual decision but ownership definitely made the call according to the Special Report.

Tito paying the price. Wouldn't have been my call, but it isn't my money either.

The meeting between Henry and Tito is about to start in 5 mins. So if this is true they haven't told Tito yet.

#140 Rudy Pemberton

• 27061 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

The meeting between Henry and Tito is about to start in 5 mins. So if this is true they haven't told Tito yet.

I'm guessing both parties have cellular phones.

#141 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9182 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

Herald (Tomase):

Awesome. Any doubts whatsoever that Beckett, Lackey & Buchholz were among them?

Posted Image

http://memegenerator...tt-In-The-World

#142 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3500 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

That said, it would be tremendous to hear that Tek has played is final game and will manage the team.

Is this serious? If there was a clubhouse problem, much of it is on Tek. I'm with others who are re-evaluating crawford's go ask the captain comment. A captain needs to lead, not isolate a guy that's on board for another six years.

#143 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 989 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Sportscenter has Edes on it live right now.

#144 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8597 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Is this serious? If there was a clubhouse problem, much of it is on Tek. I'm with others who are re-evaluating crawford's go ask the captain comment. A captain needs to lead, not isolate a guy that's on board for another six years.

Again, how do we know one way or another whether Tek is a problem? Is there anything other than go ask the comment and the one comment that he's part of a clique with JB, Lackey and Lester?

#145 C4CRVT

• 2325 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

I'll miss Francona and I certainly owe him many thanks for his years of tenure here. I can't help but remember the pics posted of Tito, Pedey and Theo during spring training at the ground breaking ceremony for the new spring training site, happer times when it seemed the world was ours. 100 wins, they said...

I'm not sure how much to blame to cast and toward whom for the culbhouse issues. I wish I knew for sure. The reports that are coming out are (to me) vague and I always try to remember that there are two sides to every story. I do however believe that cancers can exist (I've experienced a couple during my years) and completely undermine the team attitude. The only way that worked here was to get rid of the ring leader. His underling(s) were much more manageable without his presence. If the rumors are to be believed, the "fix" is an expensive one. My dislike of Lackey which was pretty intense before may be reaching new levels that I didn't think possible for a person who I don't personally.

The only thing I feel certain about is that there's more to this than we're ever going to hear about. With any luck, the ring leader(s) will be cut at any cost and the new Coaching staff will get the new team playing well and back in business.

#146 Worst Trade Evah

• SoSH Member

• 10833 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

I thought they weren't making any decisions until they had a chance to cool down and reflect? What's up with this big meeting this morning? Put all these big decisions off for a few weeks, and come back to it.

(Then give Francona a new 3 year deal.)

#147 Rudy Pemberton

• 27061 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

I thought they weren't making any decisions until they had a chance to cool down and reflect? What's up with this big meeting this morning? Put all these big decisions off for a few weeks, and come back to it.

(Then give Francona a new 3 year deal.)

They have a week to pick up Tito's options, indications are he wanted to know ASAP, and other rumors suggest he wants out.

#148 Toe Nash

• 2745 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Again, how do we know one way or another whether Tek is a problem? Is there anything other than go ask the comment and the one comment that he's part of a clique with JB, Lackey and Lester?

He said it in the portion you quoted. A captain needs to lead. Much of the reason Tek was even on the team was supposedly for his intangibles (leadership, helping the pitchers with opposing hitters, etc). He obviously didn't show them this year, and publicly really hasn't done much to lead besides punch A-Rod in the face.

#149 Trlicek's Whip

• 2814 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I still think Valentine is at the top of the list....the Sox had brokered that partnership with Chiba Lotte several years back to share baseball insight and philosophy...and I think the top trait they will look for is extreme baseball intellect. Valentine might be a bit of an a-hole, but he's a very strong manager.

At the risk of brooking e-grenades or other ordinance, Valentine is probably more in the mix than people would want or care to admit. Valentine has the experience and baseball mind as quoted, but also someone that has dealt with personalities and in a big market with the New York Mets.

Remember that in NYM he took over for Dallas Green, who helmed some toxic and moribund teams from 1993-1996. If the Sox make changes this season to personnel and players, he can handle the new blood but also can probably manage (or in Lackey's case if he's still here, herd) the veterans that remain with the team.

He's also a media ninja on both sides of the mic, and in the East and West, so won't have to "learn" the Boston sports microscope. He may be smarmy and may not be a guy you'd want to spend time trapped on an elevator with for longer than two minutes, but it certainly doesn't rule him out of the Red Sox' search for a new manager based on his resume.

Edited by Trlicek's Whip, 30 September 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#150 God's Cop

• Your friendly neighborhood CuntyBollocks

• 690 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Damn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users