Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

College Football Coaching Changes 2011-12

160 replies to this topic

#151 natpastime162

• 1,108 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Considering nearly every PSU fan thinks Stoops, Saban, Brown, Peterson or Munchiak (or similar coaching giant) is the next coach, arguably worse than NYYFans after a Burnett start.

And my personal favorite:

http://mbd.scout.com...=1395&t=8505414

PSU fans think this opening is bigger than college football.

An inflated sense of importance is inherent to many college alumni and fans, but yeah, fans believing Stoops, Saban, or Brown would have any interest under normal circumstances are delusional. Munchiak's name is bound to appear in the news regardless of interest.

Adding to the discussion - Paterno made a little over $1 million last year. Is Penn State willing to pay top-tier coaching money?

I agree with axx.

Edited by natpastime162, 02 January 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#152 JMDurron

• 4,378 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Atlanta Falcons DC Brian VanGorder is Auburn's new Defensive Coordinator.

VanGorder has coached six years in the NFL, including the last four as the defensive coordinator of the Falcons. He was also Georgia's defensive coordinator from 2001-04 and was named the winner of the Frank Broyles Award that goes to college football's top assistant coach in 2003.

"From the beginning of this process, I had one person in mind, and that was Brian," said Auburn coach Gene Chizik in a statement.

Auburn has been looking for a defensive coordinator since Ted Roof left for Central Florida in early December. Turns out, Chizik was waiting for the end of the Falcons' season to name the replacement.

I don't know much/anything about VanGorder, but the one small corner of the internet I went to in order to learn more featured a decent number of seriously angry Georgia fans. That's a good sign. There is a reasonable expectation that VanGorder will be an upgrade over Ted Roof. Auburn's hunt for an OC continues, and there aren't even any rumors of note worth reporting. Chizik has been playing this one pretty close to the vest on both sides of the ball.

#153 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,077 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Auburn hired Scott Loeffler, Temple's OC, to replace Malzahn. Loeffler played at Michigan before a shoulder injury ended his career. He was a grad assistant and became good friends with Brady (they both watched a lot of film). I think he'll do well at Auburn.

The real reason I'm posting is because of the Chip Kelly to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers rumor that's going on right now. If Kelly leaves, it remains to be seen what Oregon will do. The current belief is that the Ducks will go after Chris Petersen of Boise State. I know the Petersens are comfortable in Boise because of the situation with their son, Sam. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the Ducks, considering they should have money to throw around to hire a good coach, and how it affects their recruiting.

EDIT: Looks like it's going to happen. I don't know how much it is going to impact recruiting. It's very late in the recruiting cycle and it's gotta hurt to not have a coach. Usually, people preach to not commit to a coach (but that's not what happens), but the draw of Oregon seems to be the uniforms, the facilities (Phil Knight has poured millions into them) and Kelly's offense. Even if they get Petersen, it's going to be tough to get him in before Signing Day. I feel like there's going to be a lot of last minute decisions to make, and probably the best thing these kids can do is wait to send in their LOIs.

With the players they have, Oregon should be alright next year. Brian Bennett is not Darron Thomas, but he's a pretty decent quarterback. De'Anthony Thomas is obviously an electric player. If they get the right coach, they should be alright.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, he's not leaving.

Edited by sachmoney, 23 January 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#154 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,573 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Kelly is staying at Oregon. I think it's smart to stay. He says he has unfinished business there, which leaves the door open to a move.

#155 Domer

• 2,051 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

It looks like Greg Schiano is going to the Buccaneers.

#156 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

It looks like Greg Schiano is going to the Buccaneers.

Worst. Hire. Ever.

Schiano is a garbage coach who is living off one successful season where he only beat other equally-overrated Big East opponents.

#157 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,334 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Worst. Hire. Ever.

Schiano is a garbage coach who is living off one successful season where he only beat other equally-overrated Big East opponents.

yeah a somewhat baffling hire, he has had a reputation as a really good recruiter, but a just awful game coach and no feel at all for the offensive side of the ball.

Kind of amazing to see an at best moderately successful coach at what is basically a mid major university suddenly jump up and get an NFL head coaching position

#158 doldmoose34

• impregnated Melissa Theuriau

• 2,922 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

maybe BC can pick up some SUNJ recruits now that Schiano has headed south

wait with HCGDF and his tody,AHC Spazzoo nah, time for Spaz's nap

#159 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Seems like Rutgers thought they were going to hire Mario Cristobal today. Everything seemed lined up and the media was all over reporting it. Then at the last moment the deal fell apart, and not Rutgers is going to have to drop back and appoint their OL coach Kyle Flood as head coach instead

#160 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,573 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

What the heck is going on in Montana?

HELENA, Mont. -- The University of Montana fired football coach Robin Pflugrad and athletic director Jim O'Day on Thursday, adding more uncertainty to a program already dealing with sexual assault allegations against two players.

Pflugrad, who was honored as Big Sky coach of the year last season, and O'Day were notified in a meeting with university president Royce Engstrom that their contracts would not be renewed, said scholarship association executive director Greg Sundberg.

http://espn.go.com/c...rector-jim-oday

#161 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,216 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

The Moglia hiring at Coastal Carolina is really strange...could be crazy smart or a huge disaster. The guy was last paid to be a college coach in 1983. Made a fortune in the 90s and 00s, then got the coaching bug again and spent two years at Nebraska as an unpaid "Executive Assistant" to Bo Pelini. Now he's replacing a very popular fired coach in Dave "Cats and Dawgs" Bennett.

One he moves here from Omaha, Mogila may well be the richest man in the state, at 1.2 billion net worth.

Bumping this thread to shine some light on Moglia.  Nearly 2 years in and its leaning heavily towards "crazy smart". Lesson here, bet on a guy chasing his passion.

Moglia article

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users