Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

College Football Coaching Changes 2011-12

160 replies to this topic

#101 Kremlin Watcher

• 2,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

Kevin Sumlin to Texas A&M.

And the farmers do it again - after promising an exhaustive, nationwide search for the top coaching candidates and an exacting and demanding interview process, aggy goes out and hires the only guy on their list. A guy who couldn't even win CUSA with Art Briles' recruits. That ought to work well in the SEC. Sayonara aggy football.

#102 Sea Dog

• 2,128 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

$2.5 million is still a drastic overpay though. According to USA Today the average FBS coach's salary was $950,000. And I wouldn't get excited about Dayne Crist. He barely beat out unheralded sophomore Tommy Rees in spring practices and never won back his starting job despite Rees's several lackluster performances.

Compared to Turner Gill (five years for $10 million, guaranteed), Weis seems like money much better spent. As for Crist, he would be a drastic upgrade over Jordan Webb and provide a stopgap for whoever Weis brings in with his initial class -- he had the No. 1-rated pro-style QB (Gunner Kiel) at today's game on an official visit, too.

#103 Domer

• 1,956 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

Compared to Turner Gill (five years for $10 million, guaranteed), Weis seems like money much better spent. As for Crist, he would be a drastic upgrade over Jordan Webb and provide a stopgap for whoever Weis brings in with his initial class -- he had the No. 1-rated pro-style QB (Gunner Kiel) at today's game on an official visit, too.

Got a link for that? That would be a huge get for them. I hope he commits to the Irish.

#104 Sea Dog

• 2,128 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Got a link for that? That would be a huge get for them. I hope he commits to the Irish.

Turned out to be an erroneous report (Lawrence Journal-World) that's since been taken down. Kiel was visiting Notre Dame. At the very least, I like that KU's shown an interest in aiming high for prospects, if speculation that Weis is going after the kid is true.

#105 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain hired as the new coach of Colorado State.

http://espn.go.com/c...ach-sources-say

#106 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,182 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Not even regional news, but Coastal Carolina fired David Bennett, famous from viral video "Be a dog" a few months ago.

#107 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Not even regional news, but Coastal Carolina fired David Bennett, famous from viral video "Be a dog" a few months ago.

Was he reassigned within the department? I know he was working under a 10-year contract.

#108 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,182 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

Was he reassigned within the department? I know he was working under a 10-year contract.

Yes, to be reassigned within the university, the position had not been determined at the time of the announcement.

#109 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 2,116 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

This uncertainty and buffoonery must have some of the incoming recruiting class just a bit antsy.

And assistant coaches. Steve Broussard, just joined UCLA as Running Back's coach. Huge loss for ASU as he was their top recruiter covering the LA area. UCLA picked up Klemm, O-line and run game coordinator, from A$M as well, who had interest in ASU until the uncertainty came.

Both great pick ups for UCLA in terms of recruiting.

#110 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,284 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

Another head-scratcher.

Last year's Briles Award winner for Asst coach of the year goes to . . . . Arkansas St?

Auburn coordinator Gus Malzahn agreed Tuesday to become Arkansas State's new football coach, replacing Hugh Freeze, sources close to the coach confirmed to ESPN.com.

Malzahn will return to his home state and become a college head coach for the first time. As offensive coordinator at Auburn, Malzahn helped lead Cam Newton and the Tigers to the BCS national championship in January.

A person close to Malzahn said that not only was the coach looking for a head-coaching opportunity but that he was "looking for a change" from Auburn and "looking to move onto something else." He was willing to take a relatively large pay cut, the source said, for a chance to be happier and enjoy a new coaching environment.

http://espn.go.com/c...-football-coach

#111 JMDurron

• 4,331 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Another head-scratcher.

Last year's Briles Award winner for Asst coach of the year goes to . . . . Arkansas St?

http://espn.go.com/c...-football-coach

Beat me to it, I couldn't find a legitimate source last night when everyone knew he was gone but hadn't reported it outside of Twitter. This is particularly odd given the $ he turned down from Vandy last year, but there may be a "closer to home" factor here, as I believe he is originally from the area. Initial indications are that he will still be the OC for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against Virginia.

#112 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 2,116 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Twitter world is abuzz with Todd Graham to Arizona State with Pat Forde confirming

http://twitter.com/#!/YahooForde/status/147006793774669824

Arizona State community is abuzz with why this took a fricking month and thanks for hiring a coach the day after UCLA poached our top recruiter and offered our OC. Also where the hell did this come from (without questioning Graham's ability)?

#113 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

Graham actually some games this year that made Pitt fans long for Wanny...

#114 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Between Pitt and Penn State, Tom Bradley might get his much-wanted head coaching gig.

#115 patman

• 466 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

Beat me to it, I couldn't find a legitimate source last night when everyone knew he was gone but hadn't reported it outside of Twitter. This is particularly odd given the $ he turned down from Vandy last year, but there may be a "closer to home" factor here, as I believe he is originally from the area. Initial indications are that he will still be the OC for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against Virginia.

Some of us are highly entertained by the speculation that his wife's crazy rantings got them nudged out of Auburn and retreating to Arkansas St. instead of landing a job at a better program. I'm sure you are familiar with it but I don't know how much play this got outside of Alabama & SEC land before it was scrubbed from the internets - fortunately, Russia has a low regard for copyright claims and has preserved it for greater good of humanity:

http://rutube.ru/tracks/5079637.html?confirm=24dbb12f2817d0d34b3a9b4a38c83902

It's more likely that it was just bad timing on Gus's part, but the Kristi loose-cannon, foot-in-mouth scenario is much more amusing.

Edited by patman, 14 December 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#116 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,014 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

He turned down Vandy because they wanted a Cam Newton clause in the contract, and wouldn't back off. Perhaps something is going to happen to Auburn soon, and he's getting out before it happens?

#117 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Fresno State has hired Texas A&M interim coach Tim DeRuyter.

http://espn.go.com/c...lacing-pat-hill

#118 Infield Infidel

• 8,284 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Some of us are highly entertained by the speculation that his wife's crazy rantings got them nudged out of Auburn and retreating to Arkansas St. instead of landing a job at a better program. I'm sure you are familiar with it but I don't know how much play this got outside of Alabama & SEC land before it was scrubbed from the internets - fortunately, Russia has a low regard for copyright claims and has preserved it for greater good of humanity:

http://rutube.ru/tracks/5079637.html?confirm=24dbb12f2817d0d34b3a9b4a38c83902

It's more likely that it was just bad timing on Gus's part, but the Kristi loose-cannon, foot-in-mouth scenario is much more amusing.

Good god. what an absolute fruitcake. I normally wouldn't rate coach's wives highly on the list of deterrents, but this might be the exception

#119 Was (Not Wasdin)

• 632 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

...UCLA picked up Klemm, O-line and run game coordinator, from A$M as well, who had interest in ASU until the uncertainty came.

Both great pick ups for UCLA in terms of recruiting.

That's former Pats draft pick and three time super bowl winner Adrian Klemm, no?

#120 JMDurron

• 4,331 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

He turned down Vandy because they wanted a Cam Newton clause in the contract, and wouldn't back off. Perhaps something is going to happen to Auburn soon, and he's getting out before it happens?

That was the fantasy of many a year ago when Malzahn and (Offensive Line Coach Jeff) Grimes were rumored to be leaving. They stayed, the NCAA finished their audit at Auburn a few months ago with no major findings, without even a letter of inquiry, and nothing is stirring on the NCAA front outside of some fanfic on various SEC boards. The only major issue is Dyer's suspension and possible transfer (Chizik has supposedly said that Dyer had some work to do if he wants to play at Auburn again, but I can't find linkage on that with casual browsing), and that's purely an internal issue, at least for now (depends on what Dyer actually did, which hasn't been confirmed).

He was an OC for one year at Arkansas, two years at Tulsa, and three years at Auburn. It was well known that he wanted to be a head coach in the near term. The odd thing is where he chose to go to when he left, not that he left, or even when he left.

#121 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 2,116 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

You are correct.

Edit - referring to Klemm question on prev page

Edited by Hambone, 14 December 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#122 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,246 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Between Pitt and Penn State, Tom Bradley might get his much-wanted head coaching gig.

I can't imagine he could stay at Penn State. It is inconcievable that he didn't have knowledge of the entire situation, and yet stayed close friends with Sandusky. And I personally couldn't see another school wanting to be part of it right now

#123 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

From the PSU perspective though, there is apparently little interest in the job from anyone worthwhile. Keeping Bradley won't create any media shitstorm I don't think really, and the next several years are toast anyway (their top recruits have all decommitted), what options they have might be quite limited.

Note: I strongly believe they should clean house, so I'm not advocating this move at all.

#124 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

It's being reported that Tressel's agent is letting Pitt know that the Sweater would be interested in the head coaching job

#125 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Penn State insiders reported late last night PSU has a coach lined up, likely to be Mark Richt. Since today is the perjury hearing, no way they announce anything this weekend you'd think. We'll see if this is accurate.

#126 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,246 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Penn State insiders reported late last night PSU has a coach lined up, likely to be Mark Richt. Since today is the perjury hearing, no way they announce anything this weekend you'd think. We'll see if this is accurate.

Wow, I would really hate it if Mark Richt went to Penn St.

On the other hand he is one of the great people in college football, so I can understand why Penn St would hant him. I don't know why you would leave Georgia for PSU, but I guess since he basically lives on the hotseat at UGA it may make sense

#127 Kremlin Watcher

• 2,698 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I don't know why you would leave Georgia for PSU, but I guess since he basically lives on the hotseat at UGA it may make sense

I think one of the reasons someone like Richt might go to Penn State is that in the wake of this disaster, the next coach is going to get a free pass for quite some time. Recruits are bolting, the coaching staff will (one would have thought) be let go, scrutiny of the program will be intense, but the pressure to win will be pretty low for some time (relatively speaking, of course). But you still have the Penn State legacy and, I presume, a long-term commitment to keeping the program prominent and strong, so over time the resources will still be there to build a winner. Quite a change from coaching in the SEC.

#128 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Maybe he is addicted to losing to Urban Meyer, too.

#129 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,182 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

Manzire sales should spike in Myrtle Beach. Chuck Amato to Coastal Carolina.

#130 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Manzire sales should spike in Myrtle Beach. Chuck Amato to Coastal Carolina.

He's not the head coach. Joe Moglia is the new head coach at Coastal.

Edit: Moglia is the former CEO and current chairman of TD Ameritrade. He was a football coach back in the 80's, went to Wall St., made millions at Merill Lynch and TD Ameritrade, then quit. He then volunteered at Nebraska and was a head coach for 2 schools in the UFL.

Edited by RedOctober3829, 20 December 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#131 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,182 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

You are correct, jumped the gun..holy crap...

http://www.thesunnew...xt-coastal.html

#132 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Ellis Johnson hired as the new coach at Southern Miss.

http://espn.go.com/c...s-johnson-coach

#133 Bernie Carbohydrate

• writes the Semi-Fin

• 1,844 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

The Moglia hiring at Coastal Carolina is really strange...could be crazy smart or a huge disaster. The guy was last paid to be a college coach in 1983. Made a fortune in the 90s and 00s, then got the coaching bug again and spent two years at Nebraska as an unpaid "Executive Assistant" to Bo Pelini. Now he's replacing a very popular fired coach in Dave "Cats and Dawgs" Bennett.

One he moves here from Omaha, Mogila may well be the richest man in the state, at 1.2 billion net worth.

#134 Infield Infidel

• 8,284 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Norm Chow finally goes to Hawaii. Should have happened when June Jones left

http://espn.go.com/c...job-source-says

#135 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

The Yale coach who lied about being a Rhodes Scholar candidate resigned today. Not a good idea to get caught fibbing about your academic qualifications at an Ivy League school.

#136 Infield Infidel

• 8,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Pitt hires Wisconsin OC Paul Chryst. Great hire, especially in their situation. Now only if they can bring along some 350 lb linemen . . .

http://espn.go.com/c...ul-chryst-coach

edit: btw, including interim coaches, Chryst is the sixth head coach Pitt has had in the last 13 months

Edited by Infield Infidel, 22 December 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#137 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

Tony Levine, interim coach at Houston after Kevin Sumlin left, will be named permanent head coach of the Cougars this morning.

link

#138 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Terry Bowden to Akron.

And the final head coaching job open is Penn State.

#139 XNOUGHT

• Patriots Fan

• 3,497 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Matt Barkley is staying with USC for his senior season. They are now a lock for a top 4 ranking for the beginning of next season.

#140 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8,468 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

The Yale coach who lied about being a Rhodes Scholar candidate resigned today. Not a good idea to get caught fibbing about your academic qualifications at an Ivy League school.

Link

I liked the guy, but you can't lie like this. He evidently also lied about playing for the 49ers.

Most of all, I remember him as the author of the single worst play call I have ever seen - against Harvard in '09 - a fake punt on fourth-and-22 from Yale's own 26, when holding a 10-7 lead over Harvard with less than three minutes left in the game. Shockingly, it didn't work, and Harvard scored a TD and won the game.

#141 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Terry Bowden to Akron.

And the final head coaching job open is Penn State.

Everything I've heard is Penn State will announce Jan. 3 who their coach will be. Note that's one day after their bowl game against Houston.

#142 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak, a former Penn State All-American, said today he has "no interest" in the Penn State job. Don't read more into this than the fact that Munchak is perfectly happy in the pros, with the Oilers/Titans franchise he has been connected with for nearly 30 years.
Former Notre Dame QB Tom Clements, a western Pa. native who now coaches Green Bay's QBs, is the new leading favorite. He is 48 years old and has a Super Bowl team to coach through early February, unless the Packers let him walk away. Clements appears to want the Penn State job.
My long-shot pick, if Clements falls through, is former Penn State QB John Hufnagel, current head coach of the Calgary Stampeders and a long-time NFL offensive coach of no great distinction. Hufnagel played QB at Penn State from 1970-72. The Athletic Director running this search, Dave Joyner, was Huffy's All-American right tackle.
Hufnagel is 59 years old and would just be an interim coach, a fallback choice, and a popular former Penn State player with no personality quirks. Which is about right because no young coach in his right mind wants to take this job, following Paterno with this year's recruiting class falling apart and a team split down the middle over the current QB situation.

Edited by terrynever, 28 December 2011 - 02:35 PM.

#143 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Eric Mangini's name is now being floated for the Penn State job.

#144 RedSoxFan

• 3,675 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak, a former Penn State All-American, said today he has "no interest" in the Penn State job. Don't read more into this than the fact that Munchak is perfectly happy in the pros, with the Oilers/Titans franchise he has been connected with for nearly 30 years.
Former Notre Dame QB Tom Clements, a western Pa. native who now coaches Green Bay's QBs, is the new leading favorite. He is 48 years old and has a Super Bowl team to coach through early February, unless the Packers let him walk away. Clements appears to want the Penn State job.
My long-shot pick, if Clements falls through, is former Penn State QB John Hufnagel, current head coach of the Calgary Stampeders and a long-time NFL offensive coach of no great distinction. Hufnagel played QB at Penn State from 1970-72. The Athletic Director running this search, Dave Joyner, was Huffy's All-American right tackle.
Hufnagel is 59 years old and would just be an interim coach, a fallback choice, and a popular former Penn State player with no personality quirks. Which is about right because no young coach in his right mind wants to take this job, following Paterno with this year's recruiting class falling apart and a team split down the middle over the current QB situation.

How about Howard Schnellenberger?

#145 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

How about Howard Schnellenberger?

In his day, Howard was as sharp as any coach in the college business. He put Jim Kelly on the map at Miami. Paterno saw Kelly as a linebacker. Schnellenberger turned him into an All-America QB in about one year.

#146 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Pats OC Bill O'Brien is a potential candidate depending on Mike Munchak.

http://espn.go.com/c...ons-sources-say

#147 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

A person with knowledge of the Penn State hiring tells USA TODAY that only contract details need to be finalized before O'Brien is the man.

http://twitter.com/#!/jonnysaraceno/status/153507696786673665

How can Penn State sell Bill O'Brien to the fanbase?

Edited by RedOctober3829, 01 January 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#148 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Because no other big name wants to get into that situation.

#149 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,153 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Considering nearly every PSU fan thinks Stoops, Saban, Brown, Peterson or Munchiak (or similar coaching giant) is the next coach, arguably worse than NYYFans after a Burnett start.

Sweet, looking forward to a max of 7 - 5 the next 5 years.

Homerun??? This would be a bunt with 2 strikes...oops the ball rolled foul!

Goodbye Penn State Football Season Tickets if true tickets will not be renewed

And my personal favorite:

Charlie Weis
Josh McDaniels
Bill O'Brien

What do they all have in common? Riding the coat tails of Belichick and Brady

http://mbd.scout.com...=1395&t=8505414

PSU fans think this opening is bigger than college football.

#150 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,014 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

A pro guy with college experience and has no ties to PSU? Sounds like exactly what they should be looking for.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users