Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Dale Arnold hired to replace Tappen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10038 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Dale Arnold, who spent 13 seasons as the play by play voice of the Bruins on NESN, will return to the network this season as the studio host for the team's telecasts, industry sources have confirmed.

http://www.boston.co...bruins_pro.html

Not a surprise.

Edited by jsinger121, 21 September 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#2 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16589 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

That lowers the value of NESN in HD.

#3 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/09/arnold_to_host_nesn_bruins_pro.html

Not a surprise.

Will modern Amish woman still be providing the wardrobe?

Good for Dale btw.

#4 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8333 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Good news. I always liked Arnold and while I like the homerism of Jack Edwards, I'm glad they brought Dale back and that neither let bad feelings get in the way of what could be a great thing.

#5 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4994 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hmmm...guess that explains his somewhat cryptic tweet the other day...

"Call" games - no. RT @deblovessports: @littlegormie97 Dale r u contracted to call any of the Bruins games like u did with the Red Sox?

Edited by Red(s)HawksFan, 21 September 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#6 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5577 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

Good for Dale. Yes, he can be annoying especially when he's trying to break away from the Ned Flanders tag -- I actually heard him say "They got blowed out" over the weekend -- but he does genuinely love the team and is happy to check his ego for the greater good. Thank god we don't have to sit through a Bruins Heidi Watney or Jade McCarthy.

#7 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 14191 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

A win for people who watch NESN to learn more about the game, either through analysis or interviews and a loss for people who tune in for eye candy.

I like Dale, I'll tune in. I hope substance triumphs over appearance.

#8 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10038 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

GlobeChadFinn

A lot of responses to my @DaleEArnold-back-to-NESN report. Looks like he has about a 75 percent approval rating.

#9 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12460 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

A win for people who watch NESN to learn more about the game, either through analysis or interviews and a loss for people who tune in for eye candy.

I'll quibble...Tappan was a big step up in substance over the Heidi/Jade types. Eye candy for sure, but she also knew a little bit about a little bit. Not quite the either/or binary system you describe.

#10 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5577 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

No one is saying Tappen was merely eye candy at all, they're criticizing NESN's very bad track record in bringing in bimbos over people who know their stuff. The Dale hiring is a nice departure from the NESN norm.

#11 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7210 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

I like Dale, I'll tune in. I hope substance triumphs over appearance.

Um, I think it's a win-win here.

Posted Image

#12 fenwaypaul

• 3137 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

Well, Dale's definitely not eye candy, but I'm not so sure he knows any more about hockey than Kathryn. For all the time he's spent around the sport, his knowledge of it still seems shallow to me.

#13 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 14191 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

A former professional play-by-play announcer and talk show host doesn't know more about hockey than the person who needed tutorials when she started the gig in basic concepts like icing and offsides?

Really?

No offense to Tappen, who worked her ass off to learn the game and be professional while doing it, but that's utter horseshit. Dale Arnold knows how the game of hockey is played and has watched/called more than 1,000 NHL games. His STYLE might not appeal to some viewers but the suggestion that he doesn't know hockey better than Tappen is just ridiculous.

#14 Ferm Sheller

• 4473 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

A former professional play-by-play announcer and talk show host doesn't know more about hockey than the person who needed tutorials when she started the gig in basic concepts like icing and offsides?

Really?

No offense to Tappen, who worked her ass off to learn the
game and be professional while doing it, but that's utter horseshit. Dale Arnold knows how the game of hockey is played and has watched/called more than 1,000 NHL games. His STYLE might not appeal to some viewers but the suggestion that he doesn't know hockey better than Tappen is just ridiculous.

Dale toiled for many years calling AHL Maine Mariners games, too. Beginning in about 1980.

#15 shoebooty

• 84 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Maybe he won't be so frigid with his wardrobe and we can finally get the nip slip we've been clamoring for.
Seriously, I am happy for Dale and I'm glad we will have a knowledgeable and dedicated anchor replace a knowledgeable and dedicated anchor.

#16 Domer

• 1855 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Also Mike Milbury has left NESN to join NBC and Versus full-time, although I'm not sure if that means he has left Hockey Night in Canada as well.

http://www.telegram....UMN08/109309864

#17 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6046 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. I find Dale annoying and don't really care for him. I would have liked NESN to bring in some new blood.

#18 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8245 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. I find Dale annoying and don't really care for him. I would have liked NESN to bring in some new blood.

This, this, and this.

Seriously, Arnold is a nasal little turd. HONK!

#19 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8333 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Watched him last Thursday and thought he was really good but I also thought he and Holley had the best show on EEI for years so I was happy when I heard he was taking over for Tappen.

#20 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

This, this, and this.

You're feelings about Dale may vary, but given NESN's recent track record of uncovering new talent, I'll take the safe road. If this was a CSNNE production I would have more confidence they could find a competent new face.

Dale will be a competent and knowledgeable host which is the minimum a defending cup champ deserves.

#21 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5577 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

This, this, and this.

Your deeply flawed supposition is that NESN would have brought in someone knowledgeable and non-annoying. NESN's talent evaluation begins and ends with "blonde and inexpensive."

#22 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8245 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Your deeply flawed supposition is that NESN would have brought in someone knowledgeable and non-annoying. NESN's talent evaluation begins and ends with "blonde and inexpensive."

S'why God invented the mute button.

#23 the1andonly3003

• 975 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Looks like Dale Arnold will be staying with EEI

http://www.boston.co...?p1=Upbox_links

More weekend work (now including Saturdays, with Kirk Minihane; Sundays with Bradford and I, Buckley) and super sub for D&C and Big Show

Interesting no one brings up Dale to replace Gil Santos for Patriots play-by-play

#24 steveluck7

• 1121 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Looks like Dale Arnold will be staying with EEI

http://www.boston.co...?p1=Upbox_links

More weekend work (now including Saturdays, with Kirk Minihane; Sundays with Bradford and I, Buckley) and super sub for D&C and Big Show

Interesting no one brings up Dale to replace Gil Santos for Patriots play-by-play

Been there, done that. Arnold called Pats games from 1988-1990

#25 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 14191 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

No it's not. He did p-b-p for the Pats during the 1988 (?) season and was not good at it. He's a hockey p-b-p guy and his pace was all wrong for football.

#26 steveluck7

• 1121 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

No it's not. He did p-b-p for the Pats during the 1988 (?) season and was not good at it. He's a hockey p-b-p guy and his pace was all wrong for football.

Yup and for those who may have been D & H listeners, you may have heard more than one reference to "Iky balooky"... He uttered that phrase during a Pats game

#27 the1andonly3003

• 975 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

any word if Dale will continue to fill in during Red Sox broadcasts when Dave O'Brien does Wednesday night baseball?

#28 the1andonly3003

• 975 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

http://articles.bost...beer-and-wine/2

Lots of good nuggets here about a possible Dale Arnold return to midday if Mut & Merloni continue to struggle...perhaps that was how Wolfe got Arnold to stay?

#29 Chad Finn

• 167 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Haven't mentioned this in a column yet, but Jon Rish will be doing the Wednesday games with Castig. Dale won't be calling Sox at all.

#30 bd11

• 570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Will modern Amish woman still be providing the wardrobe?

I'm late to the game here but this was sensational.

#31 the1andonly3003

• 975 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Looks like Dale is no longer filling in for PbP...Meter is doing Celtics game while Grande is doing the Frozen Four

#32 mandro ramtinez

• 1137 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Meter is doing Celtics game while Grande is doing the Frozen Four

Thank the good lord I am going to the Celtics game tonight. It's horrific enough listening to Meter call BC football and basketball. It would be completely unbearable to hear him call a Celtics game. Meter is in the running for least likable media personality in Boston, in my opinion. Sorry to be off topic.