Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

iPhone 4S

• Please log in to reply
879 replies to this topic

Poll: You know you are salivating for it. (20 member(s) have cast votes)

When will you buy your iPhone 4S?

1. I will be standing in line for hours with thousands of other fanboys on the first day that it's available (19 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#851 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

On another note - and forgive me if it's been asked before- how much space do your apps take? I ve got 20 gigs of music, plus I expect to use another 7 gigs of space in order to use Navigon with its offline maps.

So already I am on the cusp of using 32 gigs and I am thinking I should get the 64GB model. What say you?

You can download your music to the cloud and this becomes a moot point.

#852 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21722 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

You can download your music to the cloud and this becomes a moot point.

It should be pointed out that this is only really a viable option if you don't listen to your music all that much and/or when you do so you are on WiFi and near an outlet to plug in your phone. Streaming is a battery killer and doing it over 3g is a data hogger.

So I just upgraded my 38 month old iPhone 3g to a new 4s. It's such a nice machine. I am in love.

#853 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8073 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well, I don't have a data plan to begin with so no use for the cloud for me.

#854 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5344 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

You're buying a 64gb iPhone 4S with no data plan? Are you paying full value for it and going to TMoblie? Or are you buying an iPod Touch?

#855 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22276 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

From what I know, you're required to have a data plan (at least on AT&T) when you get an iPhone.

#856 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 3958 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

From what I know, you're required to have a data plan (at least on AT&T) when you get an iPhone.

You can activate a vzw iPhone 4 or 4s with pageplus and not have a data plan if you want.

#857 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4307 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Is the 4 a world phone? I'm headed to Asia in a couple months and was wondering if I can just get a sim card for my current phone or if I need to get a new one.

(null)

#858 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5344 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Only the 4s is a world,phone as far as I know. The 4 is either gsm or CDMA depending on carrier.

#859 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13052 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I just ordered a white 32 mb version.

I've never owned an iPhone, or a smart phone at all. Any tips on preliminary set ups/good apps/etc... would be useful and appreciated.

Thanks.

#860 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

I just ordered a white 32 mb version.

I've never owned an iPhone, or a smart phone at all. Any tips on preliminary set ups/good apps/etc... would be useful and appreciated.

Thanks.

Just curious how much you spent on the 32 mb version? If it's anything over $.01 you got ripped off.

#861 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13637 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Only the the AT&T iPhone 4 is a world phone. The Verizon one doesn't have a sim car slot.

#862 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13052 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just curious how much you spent on the 32 mb version? If it's anything over $.01 you got ripped off.

Why's that?

EDIT: Oh I get it. Har har.

Edited by drleather2001, 08 January 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#863 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8073 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Got a 64 GB iphone for $850 unlocked, went to the Tmobile store, had a my sim card cut into the microsim form factor and I was on my way.

I don't have a use for either a talk or a data plan, I barely use my minutes. But it is of use for me an mp3 player/ navigation/camera/skype device. If I want to get a data plan, I can buy a prepaid one for the couple of days I am going to use it. There used to be a problem with tmobile not having the frequency for 3g data for the iphone, but there was a term in the merger that fell through which allows tmobile to use ATT data networks.

Arguably I still overpaid for those things, but $850 plus a couple of hundred for prepaid minutes still beats by a mile the cost of even the cheaper text and data plan with a 2 year commitment.

So, far the biggest surprise for me was the ability to download podcasts. Yeah I know, welcome to 2001. I was always a microsoft guy, so by no means a member of the apple cult and this machine is extremely well made and thought out.

I am bummed out that I can't make my bluetooth work with skype though. With a couple of tries it will connect to the skype test call, but it's impossible to make it work with a regular call.

I might still return it for the 32GB though. The navigon app ended up occupying less space than I thought.

#864 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 7966 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

What are thoughts on the timeline expectation on the next iPhone? A typical Fall release? Saw this article indicating June potentially: http://www.macrumors...c-2012-in-june/

I had the 4, lost it, and a friend gave me his 3GS...which is slow and doesn't even run most new/updated apps (i'm not upgrading the iOS that will make it even slower) I'm eligible with AT&T to upgrade to the 4S in a few weeks, but given it's February, wouldn't want to burn my upgrade and then 4 months later the iPhone 5 comes out.

However, if it's going to be October again I'll probably pull the trigger now and then try for the ebay sale on the 4S if I'm tempted by the 5.

#865 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13637 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

How will iOS 5 slow the phone down? That's contrary to everything I've read/heard.

#866 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 7966 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Ahh, I had had a loaned 3G for a few weeks (before I got this 3GS) that was wiped to factory status and fairly quick, then I plugged into iTunes and it upgraded software and it became unuseably slow. Figured it would happen again - aren't newer iOS meant for speedier hardware?

#867 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 7966 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Ahh, I had had a loaned 3G for a few weeks (before I got this 3GS) that was wiped to factory status and fairly quick, then I plugged into iTunes and it upgraded software and it became unuseably slow. Figured it would happen again - aren't newer iOS meant for speedier hardware?

#868 Three10toLeft

• 751 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

From what I've read, iOS 5 runs better on older hardware than iOS 4 does. Something about optimizing it better for the older generation hardware specs.

#869 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5344 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I put ios 5 on my 3GS and it ran at least the same if not a tad better.

#870 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 7966 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Ah, great to know. I'll give it a shot, cheers.

#871 IpswichSox

• 1716 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Probably not worth starting a new thread yet given how these pre-release rumors are not always accurate, but reports today out of South Korea say the new iPhone will be released in the second quarter and will feature a major form factor facelift, resulting is a bigger screen.

So is a jump from the current 3.5 inch screen to a 4.6 inch screen too big?

CNET

Reuters

Apple is said to have yet another product in the pipeline with a Retina Display, and this time it's an iPhone with a really big screen, according to a report from Reuters.

Apple is purportedly already placing orders with suppliers for a 4.6-inch iPhone Retina Display, Reuters said today, citing a report in South Korea's Maeil Business Newspaper. The phone is due in the second quarter, according to the report.

If accurate, that would be Apple's third device with a Retina Display. The others include the just-released 9.7-inch iPad and the 3.5-inch iPhone 4S.

#872 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5344 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'd call bullshit on both the 4.6" screen and Q2. If I were to bet it would be 4-4.25" screen and August-October. July at the absolute earliest. From a form factor standpoint Apple's been hell bent on the 3.5" screen so they're not going to dramatically boost it to 4.6" and their release cycle is fairly consistent.

#873 derekson

• 3122 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Put me down for 4" screen debuting in the fall as well.

#874 timlinin8th

• 366 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'd call bullshit on both the 4.6" screen and Q2.

I call BS on Q2 just based on the fact that that is pretty much NOW. Regardless of what the next phone is it isn't going to be out in the next 3 months. Fall (pre-xmas, per usual) seems far more likely.

#875 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 6709 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

@MacTrast: Rumor: New iPhone coming this fall with 4G LTE and new 'micro-dock' connector http://t.co/48IMS4aM

#876 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 32435 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Supposedly the screen is bigger too -- forget where I saw it but someone tracked down patents/parts orders/whatever

#877 Lefty on the Mound

• SoSH Member

• 1301 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

I live in the seacoast area of New Hampshire and sometime in the last week or two this little "4G" symbol shows up on my iPhone 4S. I know that it means I have access to the 4G Network (duh!) but from others' experience, what should I expect to work fast.better on the phone? I haven't really noticed any performance improvement. Is there something I should change/download/update to take advantage of the fact that I now seem to have 4G?

#878 derekson

• 3122 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Nothing changed except that Apple agreed to go with AT&T's branding of HSPA+ as "4G". Your data will be as fast or slow as it ever was on the 4S (which should be faster than previous iPhones if you have AT&T since it uses the aforementioned HSPA+).

#879 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5344 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

With the 4S I'm constantly getting 2x-3x the speed I did on my 3GS. While its not real 4G, it makes me not really care that much about LTE at the moment. Of course I'd love to get LTE, but getting 4-5mbps is enough for 90% of what I'm doing when I'm not on Wifi.

#880 derekson

• 3122 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

With the 4S I'm constantly getting 2x-3x the speed I did on my 3GS. While its not real 4G, it makes me not really care that much about LTE at the moment. Of course I'd love to get LTE, but getting 4-5mbps is enough for 90% of what I'm doing when I'm not on Wifi.

This is where I'm at as well. I'm really quite happy with the speed of the data on my 4S, though I got a new iPad with LTE and that is quite cool. For stuff I do on my phone though, 3-5 Mbps is more than sufficient for the most part and I can't see taking the battery hit that LTE would cost.

I'd also estimate that my average data speed is ~2x what I got with the 3GS.

Edited by derekson, 03 April 2012 - 08:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users