Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Amazon's 7" Kindle Fire - $199 and available for order

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

Poll: Does size matter? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a 7" tablet dead on arrival?

1. 7" is more than enough for me (32 votes [68.09%])

Percentage of vote: 68.09%

2. Only 10" or more will satisfy me (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Three10toLeft

• 751 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

I know they aren't in the same category exactly, but I cancelled my order for a Kindle Fire and picked up a Nook Touch. I'm pleased with it so far.

I figure I will hold out and see what happens with the Android tablet world in the coming months now that ICS is announced.

#102 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 9278 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

So I got the new Kincle wi-fi only.

Kindle With Or Without Special Offers

Man, this thing couldn't be smaller or lighter. And lightning quick. Definitely an impressive eReader, you can fit it into a pocket. The only drawback is that it's wi-fi only, but that shouldn't be a huge issue for most situations. I highly recommend it for any Kindle fan.

Have you experienced the "special offers" (i.e., adverts) that come up on the $79.00 version? I hate ads and am afraid that would be annoying.

#103 B H Kim

• 2671 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Have you experienced the "special offers" (i.e., adverts) that come up on the $79.00 version? I hate ads and am afraid that would be annoying.

The ads appear only on the screen saver and a small banner on the home screen. There are no advertisements in any of the books themselves. I have the older keyboard Kindle with special offers and I don't mind them at all (in fact, I've probably saved enough through the ads to more than pay for the Kindle).

#104 jtn46

• SoSH Member

• 6771 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yup, when you're reading a book there are no ads. They come on when you turn the Kindle off and they're at the bottom of the menu screens. As long as I'm just reading books on this thing, I won't spend $30 to have ads removed.

I started commuting to NYC from CT last week for a new job and I absolutely love this thing already. It fits in my pocket, it's light, the screen looks great and the $79 price point was fantastic.

#105 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4488 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Cross-post from Nook Tablet thread:

Update: Amazon has stated that they are in fact going to have Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora on their tablet. So now the ONLY differentiator is memory and expandability of memory. NookTab just got less attractive.

#106 GlenMorangie

• 716 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

The first couple reviews are in, and in a nutshell the Fire is ok but not great. Guess that fits the price tag.

Can't figure out how to link from my phone, but check Engadget and Mashable for the reviews.

#107 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Wired's not thrilled with it either.

#108 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

The first couple reviews are in, and in a nutshell the Fire is ok but not great. Guess that fits the price tag.

Can't figure out how to link from my phone, but check Engadget and Mashable for the reviews.

NY Times Says The Same

The first Kindle looks like an embarrassment to subsequent iterations, so it'll take Amazon a couple of tries before they perfect this. For $200, you can't expect that much, of course.

#109 GlenMorangie

• 716 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

There's a ton of reviews out there now (google "kindle fire review") and some are pretty positive compared to the reviews cited above. Sites like PC Mag rated it pretty well while those sites that tend to favor Apple didn't like it as much. Many reviews compare it to iPad/iPad2, which is bound to happen, and it won't match up well there.

Generally, "you get what you pay for" and it seems to do a good job with video playback, game playing, and music (especially from Amazon's mp3 store).

The biggest cons seem to be around the Silk web browser (slow), and the OS is a little laggy.

Personally, I want a device for the kids to play Angry Birds and watch shows with during car/plane travel, and I think this will fit the bill. I don't see using it much at home for web browsing - the laptop and iPhone fill my needs there. I might use it to watch a movie or show in bed; the iPad is a tad unwieldy for me over extended periods.

Edited by GlenMorangie, 14 November 2011 - 01:00 PM.

#110 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 11410 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Personally, I want a device for the kids to play Angry Birds and watch shows with during car/plane travel, and I think this will fit the bill.

That is only true if don't have more than 6GB of "stuff" you want on the device. If you have more than that you'll need to be connected to wifi to access it.

#111 OfTheCarmen

• Cow Humper

• 1750 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

The wife asked for one for her birthday, and I've been considering an iPad2. I cant see spending the money for both in the house. Cant really decide if I'll be happy with the Fire and/or if I strongarm her into the iPad2 if she will feel like I got what I wanted and her not so much.

#112 GlenMorangie

• 716 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

That is only true if don't have more than 6GB of "stuff" you want on the device. If you have more than that you'll need to be connected to wifi to access it.

Definitely. I am aware of the ~6GB of storage, and believe we'll be fine with that. Will just need to manage the content before hitting the road/air. I'm already a consumer of Amazon's digital content and view it on TV via Roku, so it'll be pretty easy to load that content locally on the Fire as needed before heading out. Basically this will take the place of a portable DVD player with the added benefit of playing games.

I am curious about how Amazon will manage software updates or if they'll even happen. My biggest concern from the reviews is the laggy-ness in some spots, the overly sensitive carousel, and lack of an indicator to let you know the device is processing your request. Software updates could fix these things.

Overall, the reviews look good enough for me to pull the trigger. Looking forward to seeing "real" user reviews on Amazon's website. If anyone here gets a Fire in the next few days it'd be cool to hear what you think of it.

#113 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Overall, the reviews look good enough for me to pull the trigger. Looking forward to seeing "real" user reviews on Amazon's website. If anyone here gets a Fire in the next few days it'd be cool to hear what you think of it.

I guess the reviews I read yesterday managed my expectations because the Fire completely blew away everything I was expecting. It's a beautiful device, smooth and clean looking and it feels good in the hands. Everything works well, the Amazon Cloud Music Player is AWESOME, and the screen is very nice. The touch screen gestures work well and the operating system seems very easy to use.

This tablet is excellent. It is as good as the HP Touch, although the screen is much smaller. It is even almost as good as the Motorola Xoom, which is saying a hell of a lot considering the price. If you're swimming in cash and like a larger screen, the iPad is still better. But if you like Amazon and want a tablet, there is little question in my mind you will love this device. For Version 1.0, Amazon made a very good piece of technology. I'm not sure what David Pogue of the NY Times was complaining about. For 200 bucks, this thing is a steal and it has a lot of utility.

#114 ekim colorwaterpit

• 990 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

Anyone else having Internet connectivity issues with the fire? All my other devices are fine, but the Fire seems to go from full signal to no signal to a weak signal and then drop it again. So far I am liking the interface and enjoying it when it works, but I am having all sorts of problems just registering it because it won't stay connected long enough.

#115 jayhoz

• 11410 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

Rooted

#116 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2390 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

I guess the reviews I read yesterday managed my expectations because the Fire completely blew away everything I was expecting. It's a beautiful device, smooth and clean looking and it feels good in the hands. Everything works well, the Amazon Cloud Music Player is AWESOME, and the screen is very nice. The touch screen gestures work well and the operating system seems very easy to use.

This tablet is excellent. It is as good as the HP Touch, although the screen is much smaller. It is even almost as good as the Motorola Xoom, which is saying a hell of a lot considering the price. If you're swimming in cash and like a larger screen, the iPad is still better. But if you like Amazon and want a tablet, there is little question in my mind you will love this device. For Version 1.0, Amazon made a very good piece of technology. I'm not sure what David Pogue of the NY Times was complaining about. For 200 bucks, this thing is a steal and it has a lot of utility.

I agree with almost all of this. There are some minor software issues with this initial build, but the hardware and features are top notch.

My main minor gripe is onscreen volume control throughout the UI. If you are not going to have a physical volume rocker, then you need to code the volume toggle onboard for every menu imaginable, as well as give access to the same code integration for developers. This is the easiest fix in the world for their developers though, and should be updated soon I would think.

Aside from that, the screen is gorgeous, video playback has been flawless through Hulu and Netflix, and Angry Birds was smooth as silk (no pun intended). It's quite a nice tablet, and with future software updates, it does in fact feel as though Amazon did this right on it's first try. If you're on the fence, get one! This tablet is worth every penny of it's $199 price tag.

#117 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2390 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Anyone else having Internet connectivity issues with the fire? All my other devices are fine, but the Fire seems to go from full signal to no signal to a weak signal and then drop it again. So far I am liking the interface and enjoying it when it works, but I am having all sorts of problems just registering it because it won't stay connected long enough.

I am. The browser is a serious concern at this point. I can't tell if it's an intermittent script issue, a connectivity permissions issue, or overload on their servers based on being played with by everyone on release day. In any event, they need to fix it, since it will in fact be blazing fast one second, and then hang up indefinitely the very next. Should either be a simple software fix or simply lessening the load on their servers though. Either way an quick, simple bandaid.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 16 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#118 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 8757 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Got mine today. Played with it for about an hour so far...

1. The screen size is ideal. I definitely prefer it to that of an iPad.

2. It's surprisingly heavy in your hand. I kinda expected it to be lighter, but I do find myself holding it in two hands mostly. This makes it somewhat uncomfortable on the subway. I think a lot of this is because of how heavily rubberized it is on the back. I kinda wish they'd gone light on this, and just let people buy their own cases if they wanted the cosmetic protection.

3. The aforementioned issues with the scrolling being overly responsive.

4. Volume buttons, or lack thereof. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I haven't figured it out yet.

5. It kinda needs a home button. I find myself reaching for it often, and that's without much iPad experience at all. It's annoying to have to tap the screen, and wait for the home menu to appear on the screen. I also want to turn it on quickly, without fumbling around for the tiny power button on the bottom. It's also a bit too symmetric in this regard - I can't tell which way is up sometimes.

6. I haven't had any issues with browser connectivity yet. However, visiting something like ESPN will make the browser slow down. Not the loading of the page, but just the scrolling itself. This makes me suspect it's a bit underpowered to be viewing pages in their default mode.

7. No problems with the keyboard.

8. It's dumb that I need the Audible.com app for audiobooks. Amazon owns Audible. This should be built in.

Overall, so far I'm not unhappy, but less than thrilled too. I imagine some of these issues with be fixed via software, but other stuff like the weight/home button are just what they are. That's fine - it's a $200 device, and most of the value will come from Amazon content, which will transfer to the Fire 3 or whichever variant will be the next one I'm likely to get. We'll see how the screen holds up to scratches of course...

#119 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 9597 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

This is my first tablet. I find it to be rather heavy. I feel like i need to get it in a case immediately. I fooled with it a bit today but didn't put anything on it yet. just kind of poked around. I thought it came with the netflix app but i didn't see it. it is kind of like a giant smart phone. It makes me feel very tall.

#120 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

This is my first tablet. I find it to be rather heavy. I feel like i need to get it in a case immediately. I fooled with it a bit today but didn't put anything on it yet. just kind of poked around. I thought it came with the netflix app but i didn't see it. it is kind of like a giant smart phone. It makes me feel very tall.

You have to download the Netflix App, which I did (it's free) and it works flawlessly.

I've been lucky with my internet, it has worked without an issue. Not sure why it's slow for some but it might be a Amazon server issue for the time being while they start loading up pages people are surfing.

My only gripe is the lack of volume buttons. The no home button I'm ok with and the lack of expandable memory and no camera I don't care about at all. But no volume buttons is weak. Other than that, though, it worked just as well and as smoothly on day 2. The cloud music player is really cool, quite a treat. I am genuinely impressed with Amazon on this one.

#121 weeba

• 1287 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

Got this for my wife for Xmas, so the only experience I've had is unboxing it. It does feel heavier than I thought it would.

#122 MainerInExile

• 4218 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

I got mine yesterday and have started playing with it a bit. My very early impressions are:

If you don't have paid prime, don't bother. To get the most out of the device, you need the free streaming video and free Kindle lending books. Of course, you should have prime anyway since it is so awesome, so no big deal.

It is heavy, but hey, it has a battery. There is a trade-off between weight and battery life. I, for one, will take the battery life.

It should probably have a home button.

I have said this before, but it is probably the world's most perfect bathroom device. You can replace an entire magazine rack with this small, compact device. And besides reading, you can watch tv or movies, listen to music, surf the web, play games, etc. And for $199, you can have one in each bathroom!

#123 MainerInExile

• 4218 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

By the way, found a new favorite feature that I didn't know existed. You can email a document to <amazonaccount>@kindle.com to load them onto your Kindle. Convenient!

#124 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8281 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Mine will be waiting for me when I get home from work.

Actually it's for one of my kids, but at least I get to play with it first!

#125 priestvalon

• 192 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

Actual thoughts on the Fire after a bunch of use (and comparison here or there to the Ipad which I also own)

First the physical aspects: Solid feeling. Approaches heavy, but not any kind of a strain to hold one handed for long periods. Has rubberized back; not textured though. The top has a thin but grippable raised edge. Comfortable and secure to hold a number of ways, one or two handed. Ipad feels like a clipboard in comparison. YMMV but this thing fits in my jean pocket.

First boot: If ordered from Amazon, boots, finds wifi signals then verifies the account (its preregistered to the account its purchased from.) Updates with a couple of restarts, wirelessly. A (very) brief tutorial explains the software home button (consistently bottom left,) and the gear icon for settings (including the software volume control - although on video, this appears in window if you activate the media controls.) Your stuff then appears in a coverflow-style carousel; my kindle books were here- a reassuring reminder of the connected and personalized amazon cloud experience, and unlike the app icon first experience of the ipad.

Apps: Being a long term Ipad user, I knew which apps I was looking for to start with. A welcome surprise was that the cloud experience extends to the apps too; it doesn't automatically load apps from your amazon app account, but they are all there and load and install very very quickly. The app store is a subset of the Amazon Marketplace... but... you can sideload, which I did for a favorite video player app (you'll need either a usb to usb-mini cable or to set up a file manager app like ES File Manager as a shared network device to work wirelessly.) You absolutely CAN load your own stuff (and play or view anything with the right app)

Video: Although I'm an Amazon Prime member, I've never bothered with streaming video from them; I've used HBO GO and Netflix on the ipad. The general experience with the video app is great. You can pick any amazon paid content or, if you have prime, the streaming stuff. Selection, not awesome, but perfect for entertainment when in a doctors office or something. The screen is excellent. Great clarity, color and brightness. The playback is completely smooth and the controls are responsive.

Books: I checked out the Amazon Prime Lending library. Can't really decide where I want to start; you get a free 6000 choice Lending Library ebook once a month, but the Fire+Streaming+Lending Library is a killer combination. This thing is not only going to make money selling content, its going to sell a lot of $79/year Prime memberships. The combination really makes sense here.

Music: Didn't bother with this, although did load a few mp3s just to try. Speakers merely serviceable. Obviously the Amazon cloud storage would work here, but even moreso, Spotify would suit the machine.

Web browsing: 80-90% of what I do on the Ipad is web browsing. I'd heard some less than flattering things, so I did not expect much. Flash etc work perfectly well, which is kind of a nice change of pace from the Ipad. This thing is clearly more beefy than the average phone browser, despite the phone like price. It is not as fluid as the ipad browsing, both in sometimes hesitation, jerkier scrolling and clunkier zooming... not unusable, just something to get used to. You HAVE to wait for the page to render before scrolling, but you don't see the checkerboard as you scroll as I sometimes do on my ipad. Theoretically when the amazon servers have enough data, caching will be quicker.

The keyboard is great. Steve jobs was an idiot; you don't need to file your fingers down for a 7" tablet. No issues with accuracy on keys, links or controls. The url bar is less of a pain to work with, and the tab and "shelving" functionality is really great too; much better than ios safari.

Format: The 7" tablet is perfect for on a desk or leaning, but not as perfect for a couch as an ipad; I found propping it higher, versus just leaving it tilted on my legs. It kills the ipad as a more portable device though.

My perfect tablet combination is shaping up to be a kindle fire with a tethered phone, and (perhaps) a larger format 12.1" or so ARM windows 8 tablet. It feels more and more like the ipad could occupy a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none space for me, although having another tablet never hurts.

This is a REALLY good device at this price point. Ipad killer? I'm not dumping my ipad but this one would make me think twice, particularly at more than twice the price.

#126 priestvalon

• 192 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

By the way, found a new favorite feature that I didn't know existed. You can email a document to <amazonaccount>@kindle.com to load them onto your Kindle. Convenient!

<amazonaccount>@free.kindle.com if its less than 5MB (otherwise you pay a negligible fee.)

#127 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Marco Arment hates it. Great review.

#128 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3220 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

So, let me get this right...say my wife is getting me this for Christmas.

She doesn't have prime membership, I do. She would have to order it through my Amazon account without me knowing, to have my account on it instead of hers? Or is that something I can change after geting it?

#129 Orange Julia

• 9597 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

what are people buying for cases/covers?

#130 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

So, let me get this right...say my wife is getting me this for Christmas.

She doesn't have prime membership, I do. She would have to order it through my Amazon account without me knowing, to have my account on it instead of hers? Or is that something I can change after geting it?

If it's like a Kindle, you can order it as a gift and it will come unregistered. So your wife can order it, not prime, and you can turn it on and register it to your account.

#131 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3220 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Sweet. Thanks. I'll drop the hint!

#132 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2390 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

I was having nothing but nightmare issues with the browser for the first few days, until today. It was almost placed in the box to return, but I tested one more round, and every page loaded instantly. It's clear it was a server issue on their end, so I can live with that. Traffic will decrease, and the silk algorithms will aggregate more efficiently over time as mentioned, so this thing is only going to get better and better.

JMD20 said it pretty nicely. This is a fantastic first attempt at a media/web tablet by Amazon. This ecosystem can really turn into something special over time. Apple ecosystem special that is.

First Impressions:

Pros
1. Ecosystem
2. Video playback is fantastic through hulu and netflix
3. lending library and other amazon prime services at your fingertips
4. Top notch build quality
5. Battery life is better than average. (not amazing by any stretch, but pretty good)

Cons
1. No physical volume rocker
2. Silk browser is shaky so far
3. Amazon app library is SEVERELY lacking
4. Carousel scrolling far too sensitive (also, there needs to be an option to either use the carousel layout or a standard app screen layout (smartphone screen icons)
5. Power button and headphone jack on bottom of device. (this makes it tougher to watch content in portrait mode, and also with my feet kicked up and resting the fire on my bubble gut, it can press the power button and turn it off occasionally)

Bottom line: Worth every penny of a bargain $199 price-point! Of all those cons listed, one software update could mitigate almost all of them, making it flawless IMVHO. If you're on the fence, get one.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 19 November 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#133 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7023 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Bottom line: Worth every penny of a bargain $199 price-point! Of all those cons listed, one software update could mitigate almost all of them, making it flawless IMVHO. If you're on the fence, get one.

But I keep seeing reports that Amazon has more models coming out. I'd hate to plunk down $199, plus $79, only to have a newer, better model released the next day...particularly one that has more memory and external memory.

#134 Orange Julia

• 9597 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

is there a way to access the android market or do all app requests/downloads have to go through the app store at amazon?

#135 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5888 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

a friend of mine said she considers the Fire more of an ipod touch replacement than an ipad replacement.

Given the way the browser works, and the lower specs on the touch capabilities, that seems like a good comparison.

#136 jayhoz

• 11410 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

But I keep seeing reports that Amazon has more models coming out. I'd hate to plunk down $199, plus $79, only to have a newer, better model released the next day...particularly one that has more memory and external memory.

There will always be a newer/better model right around the corner. If you want a 7" tablet from Amazon it is safe to assume it will be 9 months or more till the next model. Most of the rumors point toward a 10" tab from Amazon in Q1 or Q2. So if you want that size and are willing to spend $100 more then wait.

#137 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2390 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Install any android app on your Kindle Fire.

Caveat: Need an android phone (or a friends) to do it.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2396283,00.asp

#138 GlenMorangie

• 716 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

I was having nothing but nightmare issues with the browser for the first few days, until today. It was almost placed in the box to return, but I tested one more round, and every page loaded instantly. It's clear it was a server issue on their end, so I can live with that. Traffic will decrease, and the silk algorithms will aggregate more efficiently over time as mentioned, so this thing is only going to get better and better.

My Fire arrives tomorrow and I'm leery of the browser, considering all the reports of slowness. Your post provides the story I was hoping for - the early problems were simply related to server-side or load issues. If Amazon was able to sort those out, great. Is what you've described above holding true, or is performance hit-and-miss?

P.S. - Thanks everyone for the great write-ups. The info provided here helped me pull the purchase trigger. And thanks for being reasonable about how it compares to iPad.

Edited by GlenMorangie, 20 November 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#139 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2390 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

My Fire arrives tomorrow and I'm leery of the browser, considering all the reports of slowness. Your post provides the story I was hoping for - the early problems were simply related to server-side or load issues. If Amazon was able to sort those out, great. Is what you've described above holding true, or is performance hit-and-miss?

P.S. - Thanks everyone for the great write-ups. The info provided here helped me pull the purchase trigger. And thanks for being reasonable about how it compares to iPad.

Posting from my fire right now. The browser lag appears to have been an initial bug and now a distant memory. It seems to be getting quicker each day now. I found myself agreeing with early reviews in the sense that I was looking for reasons to use and enjoy it, but I am really enjoying this device more each day.

#140 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Marco Arment hates it. Great review.

I hate this review, I think it's inaccurate and sounds personal. It's reads like something an Apple Fan Boy would write. The Fire has been awesome for me, I am very happy with it and it's half the price the Kindle was 3 years ago. I never had problems with the browser, but now it is excellent.

My one complaint would be the lack of volume buttons. That's pretty weak. Otherwise, it's been great, perfect to keep on the bedside table and very easy to travel with.

#141 jayhoz

• 11410 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

This is pretty impressive.

Posted Image

#142 derekson

• 3081 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I hate this review, I think it's inaccurate and sounds personal. It's reads like something an Apple Fan Boy would write. The Fire has been awesome for me, I am very happy with it and it's half the price the Kindle was 3 years ago. I never had problems with the browser, but now it is excellent.

My one complaint would be the lack of volume buttons. That's pretty weak. Otherwise, it's been great, perfect to keep on the bedside table and very easy to travel with.

Just because he doesn't like the Fire he's automatically an Apple fanboy?

#143 MainerInExile

• 4218 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

I have started uploading all of my music to cloud player. It's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure I'll stop carrying my iPod.

#144 priestvalon

• 192 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:58 AM

In this interview its very clear he's an Apple fanboy.

P.S. another report on the browsing speed of Silk: really very quick now. Amazon fixed whatever was happening with caching, or enough data has been analyzed now.

Edited by priestvalon, 22 November 2011 - 01:59 AM.

#145 Gambler7

• 3051 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

I received mine last night. Haven't had a ton of time with it but I don't see what you could complain about. Was plenty fast, easy to navigate, simple to order through Amazon, the reader is great. Tested the Amazon Prime Streaming video which looked great. I don't see how you can go wrong at this price (and a Prime membership). There is a lack of Apps, but that's not the reason I bought it anyways. Definitely need to buy a protective case of some sort for it though.

#146 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

RIM trims $300 from BlackBerry PlayBook prices

#147 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

His review sounded personal and it isn't in line with the reality I have experienced with the Fire.(note, i have a Xoom, iPad 1 and 2, Hp Touchpad and Fire, so I've tried them all, I have a good feeling on how these things work)

It was my estimation he is an Apple fan boy. Turns out he is, Priestvalon covered it, Marco is all Apple. For $200, the tablet is legit. I haven't had a problem doing anything and it's fast, faster than the Touchpad, for sure.

The only complaints I have about this device is the scrolling with the top shelf is a little difficult to get perfect and there are no volume buttons. Other than that, it's pretty solid. The way that review was written, the Fire isn't worth a dollar. He's wrong.

#148 jayhoz

• 11410 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

RIM trims $300 from BlackBerry PlayBook prices

I've seen this movie before.

#149 Orange Julia

• 9597 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

I suspect this is a totally stupid question, but I would like to get one of these for my uncle so he can look up stuff on the Racing Form. If there is an app out there (like, say a racing form app) but it is isn't in the app store at amazon, but it is clickable on the racing form website, will it install? Or do I have to do that thing posted above with the sd card etc?

#150 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

I've seen this movie before.

Yep. They are both running off of the same playbook.

Nonetheless, I bought one at Radioshack at lunch today. Will report back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users