Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Amazon's 7" Kindle Fire - $199 and available for order

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
233 replies to this topic

Poll: Does size matter? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a 7" tablet dead on arrival?

1. 7" is more than enough for me (32 votes [68.09%])

Percentage of vote: 68.09%

2. Only 10" or more will satisfy me (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4777 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Amazon has an interesting challenge on their hands with the Amazon Fire. It only has 8GB of memory while all of their competitors have 16/32. Amazon seems to be saying that a great deal of your content will live in the cloud so the lower memory shouldn't pose a problem. The problem will come when spec sheets like the following start showing up leading consumers to believe that they can only store 50% of what they could with another device.

Posted Image

Assuming the rumors that it uses the Blackberry Playbook as a reference design are true (and things are pointing that way), then the resolution is likely 1024 x 600, it probably uses an accelerometer (only), and probably has Bluetooth. Given the lower price point, GPS seems unnecessary, and I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced RAM to 512 MB.

#52 dcdrew10

• 914 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Assuming the rumors that it uses the Blackberry Playbook as a reference design are true (and things are pointing that way), then the resolution is likely 1024 x 600, it probably uses an accelerometer (only), and probably has Bluetooth. Given the lower price point, GPS seems unnecessary, and I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced RAM to 512 MB.

According to Engadget it does indeed have 512MB of RAM.

#53 dirtynine

• 3025 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

The $149 Touch 3G looks awesome (with the caveat that I'll still want to get an iPad 3 whenever that comes out next year).

#54 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4777 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

And CNET reports no Bluetooth, if you're an A2DP fan. I don't think it's really all that necessary. The OS and execution plus price point are what make the device compelling.

#55 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5885 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

Subsidized with ads?

http://www.businessi...fordable-2011-9

f you want a device without ads, then you can expect to pay $110 for the base model, $140 for the Kindle Touch, and $190 for the Kindle Touch 3G.

Read more: http://www.businessi...9#ixzz1ZHCWQiE0

#56 sibpin

• 2631 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

Ouch. Maybe it is for a lot of people, but that's just not an option for me as a portable device. Our house has spotty wi-fi (we just run it wired through a wireless router), most of the places I'd use the device don't have Wi-Fi.

An estimated 40-60% of iPads sold are Wi-Fi only, so yes, it's a big market. Are you using an 802.11n wireless router (pretty much anything under 2 years old)? It's probably worth putting down $30-50 on a new or additional wireless router than to wait for a 3G version which will end up costing at least that much more.

#57 B H Kim

• 2719 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Subsidized with ads?

http://www.businessi...fordable-2011-9

I have the current version of the ad-supported Kindle and the ads are completely unobjectionable. There's a screen saver ad and a very small banner ad on the page listing content. There are no ads within books at all. (And many of the ads offer great deals on Amazon purchases. I've probably saved about $50 on Amazon items in the six months I've had the Kindle thanks to the sale offers.)

#58 Rudi Fingers

• 1159 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

By the way, there are errors on the chart - the Blackberry Playbook (which uses the same reference design as the Kindle Fire) *does* have a gyroscope and magnetometer. I know first hand from playing Need For Speed:Undercover for the PlayBook, which is free and awesome :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgX7HwvXPc
(not me)

#59 MainerInExile

• 4388 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Wanting 4g and 10" screens and so and on and so forth, is just missing the point. The closer this thing gets to $500, the more its going to be an ipad competitor. At $200 its a completely different market segment. If it "just works" even if thats only just well enough, it will sell a boatload (and hopefully for Amazon, a boatload of music and video content.)

This is spot on.

As for the 3G thing, for $199 I can definitely afford to have a house-only tablet. If a compelling 3G tablet comes out and I'm willing to take on the additional monthly cost - well, I can buy one of those too.

#60 dcdrew10

• 914 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

The more I read, the less impressed I am. I read two articles discussing Amazon's software lock down and what apps can be used and it's not 100% peachy. It won't have access to the main Android market, you can only get apps through Amazon's App Market (not that this is a bad thing or unexpected, more on that later). This means no Google Voice, Google+, Google Docs, Google Maps, YouTube or Gmail. Also there will be no compatibility at first for Honeycomb's tablet specific apps. This could all be changed if/when Android hackers root the device, but not really a good start.

I don't begrudge Amazon limiting it to Amazon app store. I think one of the strengths of Apple's App store is the tight controls on it, the apps usually work and you can be pretty sure they are not virus ridden or spyware. Amazon is projected to lose about $50 per Fire and they are probably planning on making their money in app and content sales. Video game consoles pretty much do this now, especially the PS3, which lost Sony $300+ per console the first year or so and at last estimate costs Sony more than $20 a console. Amazon can easily recoup a loss through content sales, allowing them to under cut competitors on price.

Edited by dcdrew10, 29 September 2011 - 08:20 AM.

#61 GlenMorangie

• 734 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

The more I read, the less impressed I am. I read two articles discussing Amazon's software lock down and what apps can be used and it's not 100% peachy. It won't have access to the main Android market, you can only get apps through Amazon's App Market (not that this is a bad thing or unexpected, more on that later). This means no Google Voice, Google+, Google Docs, Google Maps, YouTube or Gmail. Also there will be no compatibility at first for Honeycomb's tablet specific apps. This could all be changed if/when Android hackers root the device, but not really a good start.

I don't begrudge Amazon limiting it to Amazon app store. I think one of the strengths of Apple's App store is the tight controls on it, the apps usually work and you can be pretty sure they are not virus ridden or spyware. Amazon is projected to lose about $50 per Fireand they are probably planning on making their money in app and content sales. Video game consoles pretty much do this now, especially the PS3, which lost Sony $300+ per console the first year or so and at last estimate costs Sony more than $20 a console. Amazon can easily recoup a loss through content sales.

I share your concerns about what will/won't be available in the app store, but given the price I've pre-ordered the Fire anyway. I'll be ok just visiting sites like YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, G+, etc. directly from the browser.

Those apps will probably eventually become available for the Fire, assuming it takes off.

#62 Gorton Fisherman

• 911 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the native Google apps (GMail, Maps, Voice, etc) to be available on the Fire. These apps are proprietary to Google, and they only license them for devices that meet their strict Android certification criteria (which I think the heavily customized Fire would have little chance of ever meeting).

I don't think Amazon really cares much about this anyway. I think they have concluded (rightly so IMO) that the public at large isn't terribly interested in tablets featuring Google's native UI and core apps. There are a ton of "certified" Honeycomb devices on the market and none of them have really sold squat. Amazon is betting that an easy-to-use UI and a strong ecosystem are the the real keys to success in the tablet market (i.e. the same factors that have made the iPad so successful).

The fact that the Fire runs Android under the hood is really secondary. Basically, the existence of Android just provided Amazon with a convenient starting code base on which to craft a completely customized user experience, while also enabling the device to have access to a pretty decent selection of third-party apps out of the gate.

#63 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3536 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

This may be a dumb question, but on the $79 non-touch, no-keyboard, how would you type in the name of the book you want to download? Unless there's just a cumbersome system like using one's TV remote control to slowly pick out one letter at a time?

Pardon me if I missed the answer to this, but that's basically it if you choose to type the name of the book on the device. I think I've done that exactly once in a couple of years of Kindle use and tons of books probably getting up over 50. The main use case I've done is ordering through Amazon.com with the "send to X kindle" button and then turning on the Kindle wireless (3G or WiFi depending on where I am) to sync down the new book, taking less than a minute.

Or you can pick the book by arrowing around the top sellers lists or recommendations on the device, no typing. Not sure I've ever done that.

#64 CoRP

• 4122 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Amazon picking up WebOS?

#65 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6125 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

I have a first gen iTouch...

iPod Touch.

#66 CoRP

• 4122 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

Gadgetlab says 10 of you here are completely wrong.

#67 Domer

• 1893 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

So this is basically a Nook Color?

#68 priestvalon

• 192 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

So this is basically a Nook Color?

More horsepower. Better ecosystem. Better company backing it.

#69 Domer

• 1893 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

More horsepower. Better ecosystem. Better company backing it.

Well we don't know the specs yet, and the Nook Color 2 is just around the corner.

#70 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2393 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the native Google apps (GMail, Maps, Voice, etc) to be available on the Fire. These apps are proprietary to Google, and they only license them for devices that meet their strict Android certification criteria (which I think the heavily customized Fire would have little chance of ever meeting).

I don't think Amazon really cares much about this anyway. I think they have concluded (rightly so IMO) that the public at large isn't terribly interested in tablets featuring Google's native UI and core apps. There are a ton of "certified" Honeycomb devices on the market and none of them have really sold squat. Amazon is betting that an easy-to-use UI and a strong ecosystem are the the real keys to success in the tablet market (i.e. the same factors that have made the iPad so successful).

The fact that the Fire runs Android under the hood is really secondary. Basically, the existence of Android just provided Amazon with a convenient starting code base on which to craft a completely customized user experience, while also enabling the device to have access to a pretty decent selection of third-party apps out of the gate.

This is the most insightful point of the thread. It literally boils down to that simple fact. Apple has built an empire on a service-based, walled-garden ecosystem with amazingly polished aesthetics, and thrived even where competitors have pumped more impressive hardware into similar competing devices.

Nobody has attempted a similar model, mostly because of the monetary constraints involved with such a gamble. Amazon is in perfect position to do so, and after the huge success of the kindle in general, it makes perfect sense they are the ones to roll the dice. I have read numerous articles about how manufacturers might soon be competing with each other for amazon hardware contracts instead of releasing competitive vanilla android offerings as the current market shows. How interesting to ponder all android os smartphones being released with this new ecosystem version of android on it instead of some tired 'layer' or another. Some claim that amazon has basically made android it's own in a sense. It seems it's gamble time.

Now don't get me wrong, this is nowhere even remotely NEAR in the same LEAGUE as the iPad, either physically, aesthetically, or guts-wise. It will however be an enormous, enormous success, and will present a future challenge to Apple's model, as it's the first to truly mimic it. They're not just selling hardware, and there are millions of amazon prime members out there to threaten iTunes. Time will tell if they're successful in the long term, but I'm geeked up about a true challenger for once, and I own every Apple product you can think of.

Today I pre-ordered two kindle fires.

Edit: Oh, the it costs $199, not $250. The thread title should be changed.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 30 September 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#71 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2393 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

Their 'Silk' browser looks impressive in it's development philosophy.

http://amazonsilk.wo...ng-amazon-silk/

Also, there is a (and I stress) rumored 10.1" version in the works as well.

http://androidandme....gle Feedfetcher

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 30 September 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#72 CoRP

• 4122 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

From early 2011:

Mobile Computing
Already a much discussed and considered phenomenon, this market is getting even more attention lately because of the deluge of product announcements in the white-hot tablet market. For all the attention given to market leaders Apple and Google, we believe it is the reactions by their competitors in the mobile computing marketplace that illustrate the enormity of the challenge facing all companies not operating from a coherent playbook. To hear competitors like Research In Motion (RIMM), Microsoft (MSFT), or Nokia (NOK) tell it, success in this market is simply a matter of matching Apple’s skill at generating excitement over cleverly-designed handheld devices.

We, however, think the reason these companies will continue to be challenged is that they are fundamentally flawed in their assessment of whom and what they are competing with. This is not about shiny electronic toys – it is about what people do with these devices. In the case of Apple it is about the elegance of the iTunes/App Store experience which is the principal source of value creation in the Apple ecosystem.
For Apple customers, it is the ease in procuring content (music, movies, books, apps) for use on these devices. For developers, it is an environment with easily observed and identifiable parameters for what can be created and how they can get compensated. For content owners and distributors, it is as close as they are likely to come to a proliferation mechanism that pays more than lip service to intellectual property rights. The same things could be said about the Google Android ecosystem, with the requisite modifiers needed to describe how developers get paid. So aside from those producing devices targeting the Apple and Android ecosystems, which of the handset and tablet aspirants named above (RIMM, MSFT, NOK) can boast similar characteristics for their products and associated ecosystems? Not one.

Instead it is Amazon, maker of the wildly successful Kindle, who is emerging as the clearest and most credible competitor to Apple and Google. Amazon’s massive content libraries and 1-Click simplicity compare quite favorably to the iTunes/App Store experience (in fact, it was Amazon that “invented”, patented and licensed 1-Click to Apple). Interestingly, the first mobile device that Amazon has created to access its marketplace is Linux-based, with a monochrome display, wrapped in nondescript hard plastic, and adorned with buttons that wouldn’t feel out of place on an Easy-Bake™ oven. And yet, Kindle’s pedestrian design and currently limited use as anything much more than an e-Reader has not hindered its massive commercial acceptance. Surprising as its success might seem, it is not without precedent. Remember that Apple initially introduced its customers to the iTunes economy through the simple iPod. It is our belief that the Kindle, imperfect as it is, is simply the first of many devices that will hang off the Amazon cloud. These hypothetical products could even be based on Google’s Android OS.

#73 Three10toLeft

• 778 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I preordered a Kindle Fire the other day. For $200 I couldn't turn it down. I also plan on signing up for Amazon Prime, so for $280 I get a well equipped tablet, access to Amazon Video On Demand, cloud storage etc. Awesome deal.

I honestly think this is an ideal package. I've always wanted a tablet since the iPad first debuted but I couldn't justify paying the premium price for one. None of the Android tablets spoke to me that much because the only reason I want a tablet is to check email, surf the web, play movies, read books etc. With it's 7 inch size, it's a perfect companion to my phone and I can bring it with me wherever I go without feeling like I am lugging my laptop. The biggest reason why I chose this tablet over others is because of the ecosystem that Amazon provides. A new movie I want to watch on my tablet? I can rent it from Amazon, or buy it and watch it on my Roku box as well.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Edited by Three10toLeft, 02 October 2011 - 11:47 AM.

#74 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10247 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

My mother has been visiting this week and asked me what a "tablet" was and said she read about the Kindle Fire (also like the KAT, btw, so i will call it that) and i at first dismissed it as just a more sophisticated e-reader, but honestly for someone like my uncle who can barely handle his cell phone, never mind looking up the racing form on line, this might be perfect for him. I fear that tablets like the Galaxy Tab and that Motorola Tab and certainly the iPad are both too big, complicated and expensive, but he might respond well to this. He calls all the time looking for scouting reports on this player or that one, and a few days ago called to ask how to spell "defenestration" because he couldn't find it in the dictionary the way he was spelling it. I pointed out he could look it up online and he just laughed. So, Mom and I have determined that a tablet might be the way to go for him.

I might preoder one of these and see how it works out and then load it up with apps and pass it along to him. I already have Amazon prime so i get all the movies and stuff already.

But unless someone suggested that one of the bigger tablets is the way to go... I'm half thinking it might be good for him to have 3/4G because he likes to go to the racetrack and he could look things up there (i am not sure they have a wireless internet at Golden Gate Fields) but i am not sure that cell service is a must have.

#75 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10913 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

Would the Fire be a good travel computer? If it has no USB and everything has to come in wirelessly, then there's no way I could get my digital photos in there from my camera, right?

#76 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 11986 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Would the Fire be a good travel computer? If it has no USB and everything has to come in wirelessly, then there's no way I could get my digital photos in there from my camera, right?

No tablet will ever be a good travel computer if by computer you mean something you can type long emails on or create documents in word/excel/powerpoint.

The Kindle Fire will have a micro USB input. Unless they lock down that port so that it is for charging only then you should be able to push photographs to it. If not you will be able to upload photos to a cloud service and display them that way through the fire. You will need to be in an area with wifi to do the latter unless you pull them down to the device and store them locally.

#77 derekson

• 3551 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

With only 8 GB of flash storage, you're not going to be able to hold a ton of hi-res photos on it even if you can import them (especially if you have any videos and apps on it).

Edited by derekson, 03 October 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#78 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7388 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

With only 8 GB of flash storage, you're not going to be able to hold a ton of hi-res photos on it even if you can import them (especially if you have any videos and apps on it).

I have an 8 GB iPod Touch that I upload photos to and I've never bothered resizing them from the size I use for the web (generally 1110 x 740 px). Currently, I have 62 jpegs on my iTouch averaging about 110 KB apiece. I also have 461 songs, 12 apps, 9 books and 46 minutes of video on it, leaving about 3.4 GB free.

It would be nicer to have a larger screen to display images and books but I find the iTouch with its wifi capability to be a good travel companion.

#79 GlenMorangie

• 734 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Take it fwiw, but Cult of Android has a report that Kindle Fire is selling 50k units per day and is on pace to beat the 1st gen iPad as the most successful tablet launch ever.

Edited by GlenMorangie, 04 October 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#80 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2393 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

Take it fwiw, but Cult of Android has a report that Kindle Fire is selling 50k units per day and is on pace to beat the 1st gen iPad as the most successful tablet launch ever.

That is kind of shocking. I expected good sales, and though I don't believe the numbers will continue, this is great news for us as consumers.

I now await the day the Amazon Kindle Phone is released. I will drop my iPhone like a bad habit if they ever launch a good phone with their amazon-service-based android ecosystem...and I LOVE my iPhone.

#81 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5299 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

That is kind of shocking. I expected good sales, and though I don't believe the numbers will continue, this is great news for us as consumers.

I now await the day the Amazon Kindle Phone is released. I will drop my iPhone like a bad habit if they ever launch a good phone with their amazon-service-based android ecosystem...and I LOVE my iPhone.

I'm guessing they are waiting on the success of the Kindle Fire to launch a mobile phone project. The Kindle phone or Amazon phone is probably still a couple years away.

#82 Jimy Hendrix

• 2632 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

I'm guessing they are waiting on the success of the Kindle Fire to launch a mobile phone project. The Kindle phone or Amazon phone is probably still a couple years away.

I'm not sure about this, honestly. Phones have a different job to do than tablets with regards to consuming media, and there's not quite the gaping hole in the phone market that there was at the low end of the tablet market. Considering that Amazon's not really in the hardware game to make money on the hardware itself and that phone users aren't quite the massive media consumers that tablet users are (since that's almost the whole reason you'd get a tablet, while phones have other things to do), I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to their current phone strategy of "a Kindle app for every platform".

#83 CoRP

• 4122 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

Amazon Rolling Out Robotic Delivery Lockers

#84 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8126 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thinking about getting this for my girlfriend for Christmas. A few questions:

1. As I understand it, this is basically a tablet with the added bonus of a kindle. But no GPS, Camera, or microphone.

2. Amazon Prime will be $70 for the year. Now, if you have Netflix, I assume you'll be able to stream movies on the Kindle Fire. But Amazon Prime does NOT include the shipment of DVD's, correct? So basically it comes down to if you want to spend the $$$ on Netflix, and have TV Shows as well as the ability to get DVDs vs having Amazon Prime and having just movies stream. I also assume Amazon Prime will also let you watch their movies on a computer...

3. Can someone explain to me how Amazon Cloud works?

4. Kindle Books, its my understanding that you buy ebooks and they are loaded onto your kindle to read. You can also get free books as well. How user friendly are these devices? Is it as simple as following the on-screen instructions or is there a steep learning curve?

5. Do they have Choose Your Own Adventure Books?

#85 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3536 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thinking about getting this for my girlfriend for Christmas. A few questions:

1. As I understand it, this is basically a tablet with the added bonus of a kindle. But no GPS, Camera, or microphone.

It's meant to be a stripped down tablet at a way stripped down price ($200 vs $500 something had to go).

2. Amazon Prime will be $70 for the year. Now, if you have Netflix, I assume you'll be able to stream movies on the Kindle Fire. But Amazon Prime does NOT include the shipment of DVD's, correct? So basically it comes down to if you want to spend the $$$ on Netflix, and have TV Shows as well as the ability to get DVDs vs having Amazon Prime and having just movies stream. I also assume Amazon Prime will also let you watch their movies on a computer...

Amazon Prime and Netflix are not related. I'm not sure this device will be support the Netflix streaming app at all, device support for that app has been unpredictable at best. The Amazon Prime streaming is a separate video service that is included with Prime, and offers an overlapping set of streamable programs. Netflix has unbundled the DVD plans from their streaming plans, so you could use Prime for streaming and Netflix for only DVDs.

3. Can someone explain to me how Amazon Cloud works?

In terms of music, if you buy an album from them then it goes into your "cloud player". Their app can then access it and stream it from online. Or you can download it into your device and use it locally in their player. You also have an "online drive" where you can upload your existing stuff (assuming it's not in Apple's format I think) and play it on any of your devices with the Cloud Player, phones/computers/etc. Even without the online aspects I think their player is the best UI on Android, much snappier than WinAmp which I was using previously.

4. Kindle Books, its my understanding that you buy ebooks and they are loaded onto your kindle to read. You can also get free books as well. How user friendly are these devices? Is it as simple as following the on-screen instructions or is there a steep learning curve?

I usually buy them through Amazon.com, just find the one you want and you can one-click order and it will download to the device you choose to send it to (if you have Kindle app on your phone).

5. Do they have Choose Your Own Adventure Books?

They do support linking in the books, so I imagine someone has done this by now.

#86 jayhoz

• 11986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

Amazon Prime and Netflix are not related. I'm not sure this device will be support the Netflix streaming app at all, device support for that app has been unpredictable at best. The Amazon Prime streaming is a separate video service that is included with Prime, and offers an overlapping set of streamable programs. Netflix has unbundled the DVD plans from their streaming plans, so you could use Prime for streaming and Netflix for only DVDs.

Netflix reversed course on this. They are once again bundled services.

In terms of music, if you buy an album from them then it goes into your "cloud player". Their app can then access it and stream it from online. Or you can download it into your device and use it locally in their player. You also have an "online drive" where you can upload your existing stuff (assuming it's not in Apple's format I think) and play it on any of your devices with the Cloud Player, phones/computers/etc. Even without the online aspects I think their player is the best UI on Android, much snappier than WinAmp which I was using previously.

Zomp - Once uploaded to the cloud your GF won't know the difference as long as she is connected via wifi. If she is not connected then she will not have access to anything that lives in the cloud. If she regularly uses this to listen to music or watch movies when off wifi she would have to download them from the cloud to her device. If she has a ton of HD videos, the 8GB capacity could be an issue.

Edited by jayhoz, 13 October 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#87 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8126 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

I was kidding on the choose your own adventure books btw...

#88 jayhoz

• 11986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I was kidding on the choose your own adventure books btw...

It looks like they have 80 titles.

#89 Three10toLeft

• 778 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

After doing some more reading on this device I think I might cancel my pre-order. I was under the assumption that memory would be expandable via a micro SD card, but that's not the case.

8GB is alright, but I'd like to store a good amount of music and movies/tv shows in a quality format. So those 8GB's will be gone in a hurry. I don't feel like having to be near a wifi access point all the time to be able to enjoy those things. Still up in the air though. Thankfully I have plenty of time to make a full decision.

#90 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2393 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

After doing some more reading on this device I think I might cancel my pre-order. I was under the assumption that memory would be expandable via a micro SD card, but that's not the case.

8GB is alright, but I'd like to store a good amount of music and movies/tv shows in a quality format. So those 8GB's will be gone in a hurry. I don't feel like having to be near a wifi access point all the time to be able to enjoy those things. Still up in the air though. Thankfully I have plenty of time to make a full decision.

Yes, but they give you free cloud storage for all content. The 8GB is almost an irrelevant detail.

From the product page:

Free Cloud Storage

Forget about memory - Kindle Fire gives you free storage for all your Amazon digital content in the Amazon Cloud. Your books, movies, music and apps are available instantly to stream or download for free, at a touch of your finger.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0051VVOB2

EDIT: They allow 5GB of cloud space for non-amazon content,and the ability to purchase more as well. It's $20/yr for 20GB additional after the first free 5Gb, and with that yearly plan, all music is allowed to be stored for free without counting toward your cloud storage allotment. So for $20/yr, you'd essentially get 33GB of cloud storage for your content, and unlimited space for your own music as well.

Not bad at all.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 13 October 2011 - 04:03 PM.

#91 jayhoz

• 11986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Yes, but they give you free cloud storage for all content. The 8GB is almost an irrelevant detail.

From the product page:

Free Cloud Storage

Forget about memory - Kindle Fire gives you free storage for all your Amazon digital content in the Amazon Cloud. Your books, movies, music and apps are available instantly to stream or download for free, at a touch of your finger.

What do you do when you're on the bus, in the car, or on a plane/in the airport/in the coffee shop and you don't want to pay for wifi?

#92 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9950 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

What do you do when you're on the bus, in the car, or on a plane/in the airport/in the coffee shop and you don't want to pay for wifi?

That's what your 8gb is for?

#93 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2393 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

I see that drawback, and that is absolutely something to be weighed in purchasing one for sure. There is nothing you can do in said situation. I personally have a 4G hotspot through VZW, and take it everywhere I travel.

It basically comes down to whether or not you're willing to trade universal access to content for the savings on the hardware in comparison to other tablets.

#94 jayhoz

• 11986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

That's what your 8gb is for?

Thanks! Would never have figured that out myself.

Seriously. Having to plan and move content in anticipation of my future location and media consumption desires is just plain clunky. I realize that 8GB will hold plenty, but having to pay attention to where files live will be a pain in the ass. Imagine you are in the car and and you want to let the passenger listen to a song you like and you go to play it and...ooops that one is in the cloud. Not optimal.

This is by no means a critical flaw, but it will be a major annoyance for some.

I see that drawback, and that is absolutely something to be weighed in purchasing one for sure. There is nothing you can do in said situation. I personally have a 4G hotspot through VZW, and take it everywhere I travel.

It basically comes down to whether or not you're willing to trade universal access to content for the savings on the hardware in comparison to other tablets.

Agreed.

Edited by jayhoz, 13 October 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#95 Three10toLeft

• 778 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Well, I have a 4G Thunderbolt, and LTE will activated in my area come October 20th, but I still see this as a pain in the ass. Maybe my thoughts will change though.

I did play with an Acer Iconia A100 at Best Buy, trying to decide if I'd be better off with a dedicated Android tablet. Mind you, I just want to browse the web/read ebooks/check gmail, and almost pulled the trigger on the Acer A100 if it weren't for the horrible glossy screen that I could basically see my own reflection in at all times. I'm sure the lighting had something to do with it, but it still seemed like it would be a problem. 7 inches really does seem like the sweet spot for tablets. If only Samsung would have made the Galaxy 8.9 slightly smaller.

#96 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16448 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

So I got the new Kincle wi-fi only.

Kindle With Or Without Special Offers

Man, this thing couldn't be smaller or lighter. And lightning quick. Definitely an impressive eReader, you can fit it into a pocket. The only drawback is that it's wi-fi only, but that shouldn't be a huge issue for most situations. I highly recommend it for any Kindle fan.

#97 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 11973 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Anybody got one of these things yet? What do you think?

#98 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16448 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Kindle Touch and Fire aren't coming out until the 4th week of November. Only the new, non 3G version of the Kindle is available now and it's the one I linked in my previous post.

#99 B H Kim

• 2719 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

So I got the new Kincle wi-fi only.

Kindle With Or Without Special Offers

Man, this thing couldn't be smaller or lighter. And lightning quick. Definitely an impressive eReader, you can fit it into a pocket. The only drawback is that it's wi-fi only, but that shouldn't be a huge issue for most situations. I highly recommend it for any Kindle fan.

I wouldn't worry about not having 3G. I have the wi-fi only version of the prior Kindle, and I have trouble even coming up with scenarios where I'd like to have 3G. I guess if I were about to get on a plane and finished the book I was reading it could be an issue, but I always have several extra unread books on my Kindle.

#100 MainerInExile

• 4388 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'll tell you on Nov 17 - that's when they're arriving.