Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Skiing 2011-12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#51 TeddysBonefish

• 355 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Another tragic day. That makes 17 avalanche fatalities so far this year. It's really dangerous out here in the West. Please be careful if you ski the sidecountry/backcountry. Or just ski the resort and drink at the bar and watch hockey.

#52 Hildy

• 1580 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

So we are up at Bolton Valley this week. The skiing is quite good. Not relatively good for this season, but quite good. They've had two or three inches of snow each day for the past several days, and everything is soft and carvable. And there is a big-ass storm moving in for once.
Just saying. Screw the daffodils down south, it's still winter up here.

#53 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13503 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Northern Vermont is finally getting the storms they need to be fully open. Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Jay Peak, and the Mad River Valley resorts are all projecting a foot total between yesterday, today and tomorrow.

This is your shot to get some good midseason snow this year, I think. I'm trying to figure out how the hell I can get up there.

#54 Hildy

• 1580 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

For what it's worth, wind holds on lots of chair lifts today....Tomorrow might be the better bet.

#55 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8208 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Anywhere out west picking up late season snow? Have the option to head out to Park City April 5-8th, they normally get 360" of snow a season and are at only 191" today...http://www.parkcitym...ons/snow-report

Solid base I guess, but doesn't look like the skiing would be anything epic or even typical of out west at this time. Has anyone been to the region lately?

#56 Slow Rheal

• 1593 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

The west hasn't picked up really at all - Jackson Hole and anything in Washington are really the only places worth traveling to, and even those spots would need some forecasting and the ability to travel dependent on a particualr storm cycle. It's daylight savings, chalk this winter up to being over out west.

#57 graffam198

• pink hat

• 823 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Sierras finally got dumped on this weekend. The La Nina SST is breaking up allowing moisture in, but it is getting late in the year where most of the resorts are going to start seeing rain at their base. I got out on saturday and my legs are still thrashed. My mountain got about 4' of snow, a little heavy, but enough to open up the trees to some really nice skiing. I did about 20 runs in 4 hours time and went home before they opened the chutes. The mountain was almost empty, it was surreal. I think it was b/c it was spring break so all the families went elsewhere. We should be getting another storm this weekend, but I wouldn't book anything out west. This winter is about done and you will just be wasting your bread on tickets.

#58 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 680 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I wouldn't book anything out west. This winter is about done and you will just be wasting your bread on tickets.

Prettty much all of B.C. has had it really good the last month. Revelstoke has a 10 ft. base. Don't forget Canada, eh?

Signed,

Sausage in Soft Snow

#59 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6695 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Was at Vail on Feb 16-17, the skiing was magnificent. Went back a month later, March 15-16, and it was full on spring conditions - temps in the 50s, crusty in the morning, total slush by mid-afternoon.

They've only received 213" on the year, and March has been terrible. Down to a 30" base, and I'd even question that. Tons of bare spots in mid-March, although they did get some snow around the 19th.

One positive is that I demo'd a few different skis, and ended up with a pair of Volkl Kendo's. Can't wait to use them next year.

#60 graffam198

• pink hat

• 823 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Canada doesn't count ;). Winter has arrived! Wednesday we had 16" of champagne pow with no one on the hill. Dumping snow as I type this, 18" forecasted tonight. Another low pressure system moving in next Wednesday too. Unfortunately, the resorts will start closing around April 15 or so. But the next couple of weeks should be killer.

#61 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13503 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Where are you based, graff?

#62 graffam198

• pink hat

• 823 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Reno, about 20 minutes from Tahoe. Mt. Rose is 12 minutes door to slopes on dry days, about 15 when the roads suck.

#63 graffam198

• pink hat

• 823 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

We got some fresh last night so I did a little shredding today. Pretty awesome really. Played softball last night, finished before it started to dump, got up at 8 and was first chair at 8:30 this morning. Got to love midweek shrapping.

#64 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5293 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

This winter sucked.