Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

UConn Basketball 2011-2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
283 replies to this topic

#151 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Would you prefer they strip away the national championship?

No I would prefer they give up the schollies as per the rules that existed when they were broken. After all, the rules is the rules, unless of course you change the rules and apply them to something which already happened. Say today SoS website comes up with a rule that said they're going to mail a dead fish to anyone who posts a stupid question, then you get a dead fish in the mail for the above post, not so fair is it?

#152 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

No I would prefer they give up the schollies as per the rules that existed when they were broken. After all, the rules is the rules, unless of course you change the rules and apply them to something which already happened. Say today SoS website comes up with a rule that said they're going to mail a dead fish to anyone who posts a stupid question, then you get a dead fish in the mail for the above post, not so fair is it?

Of course you would. Then, Calhoun could just manipulate the scholarship situation like he did with Drummond.

#153 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Of course you would. Then, Calhoun could just manipulate the scholarship situation like he did with Drummond.

Drummond is a non-schollie player. How did Calhoun manipulate the scholarship situation?

#154 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Drummond is a non-schollie player. How did Calhoun manipulate the scholarship situation?

Yes, it's perfectly normal for future NBA lottery picks to accept "walk-on" status. Like I said, a reduction of scholarships would be UConn's best case scenario, as it didn't stop them from landing one of the top recruits last year despite the fact that they had no scholarships to give.

#155 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's not perfectly normal but keep in mind that Drummond grew up near the UConn campus his whole life, he had the opportunity to play for one of the great coaches of all time and a team coming off another national championship. He knows he's going NBA lotto so he'll more than make up the cost of 1 yr at school for a chance to play for a defending champion and play for Calhoun in front of family.

It's not like some hot shot prospect from North Carolina was spurning a scholarship from Duke or UNC to come to UConn.

#156 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,424 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it's perfectly normal for future NBA lottery picks to accept "walk-on" status. Like I said, a reduction of scholarships would be UConn's best case scenario, as it didn't stop them from landing one of the top recruits last year despite the fact that they had no scholarships to give.

I'm actually amazed that more players don't do this. If you know you're a lottery pick, and you can help your team land another great player who needs the scholarship more than you, it might make sense to forego your scholarship, go there as a walk-on, and bingo - you've essentially doubled yourself.

#157 Domer

• 1,907 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

The University of Connecticut is not doing its job as an educational institution if it needs the threat of postseason bans to graduate its players. UConn's response to the NCAA was if they knew they were being held to a higher standard, the university would have been able to meet that standard. President Susan Herbst should be embarrassed by her statement. If they could have better assured the academic success of their basketball athletes, they should have done so without the threat of sanctions.

#158 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

The University of Connecticut is not doing its job as an educational institution if it needs the threat of postseason bans to graduate its players. UConn's response to the NCAA was if they knew they were being held to a higher standard, the university would have been able to meet that standard. President Susan Herbst should be embarrassed by her statement. If they could have better assured the academic success of their basketball athletes, they should have done so without the threat of sanctions.

Yup. She really did embarrass herself with that comment. It's not like the NCAA requires these guys to get straight A's. Yes, it sucks for the kids who didn't do anything but that's the way it goes. I'm sure she wasn't crying any tears for USC's football players this year. Article said the problem year was 2009-2010. I'm looking at you, Stanley Robinson

#159 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,361 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

2009-10 is a lot more than just Stanley Robinson and Jerome Dyson. They had three kids transfer (Calhoun politely told them to leave becasue they sucked) and when they left they were not in good standing (in at least one case maliciously so). That's on Calhoun, the director of basketball operations and the AD. Terrible

New AD seems to have quite a following. widely lauded hire. I have no clue, but he is a football guy first, which is interesting on a couple levels

#160 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

No it's not normal this is the sort of luxury a coach enjoys once he's become known as the best when it comes to developing talent for the NBA if you don't like it tough shit. Also perhaps this goes over your head but it's everyone's best case scenario when the ncaa doesn't change rules around to enforce punishments on a whim.

Edited by JesusShuttlesworth, 13 February 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#161 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Uconn's basketball program should have done a better job, just like it's football program and swimming programs did, that doesn't mean squat to the point, which is the rules were changed post-stride and Uconn was given punative action on top of punative action. The correct answer is they deserved to lose the schollies.

#162 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

The APR process as a whole is fraudulant. The problem with UConn is they weren't on top of the situation well enough to know how to manipulate the system as well as other institutions of learning have...not all, but most.

#163 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

No it's not normal this is the sort of luxury a coach enjoys once he's become known as the best when it comes to developing talent for the NBA if you don't like it tough shit. Also perhaps this goes over your head but it's everyone's best case scenario when the ncaa doesn't change rules around to enforce punishments on a whim.

I doubt you would give two shits about this grave injustice if it occurred to some random team that you don't care about. Unfortunately, the semi-pro team in Storrs was pinched and not St. John's or whatever. And since UConn could very well lose Drummond and Lamb to the NBA this year anyways, this punishment could end up being preferable to losing scholarships.

#164 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

I doubt you would give two shits about this grave injustice if it occurred to some random team that you don't care about.

Let's see you are saying, quite literally, that I wouldn't care if it happend to a school I didn't care about. No shit man don't be daft of course that's right.
I'm in a Uconn thread, wouldn't you say my "selective outrage" is pretty freaking well placed?
I'm not asking for a whole lot of support from you here other than to not show up on a Uconn thread and try to defend the nonsense you're trying to defend.
Good god man what's your level on the haterade scale 35, 45? Whatever the numerical value it's certainly reached point where it causes you to show up every once in a while and say something retarded.

Edited by JesusShuttlesworth, 13 February 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#165 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Let's see you are saying, quite literally, that I wouldn't care if it happend to a school I didn't care about. No shit man don't be daft of course that's right.
I'm in a Uconn thread, wouldn't you say my "selective outrage" is pretty freaking well placed?
I'm not asking for a whole lot of support from you here other than to not show up on a Uconn thread and try to defend the nonsense you're trying to defend.
Good god man what's your level on the haterade scale 35, 45? Whatever the numerical value it's certainly reached point where it causes you to show up every once in a while and say something retarded.

What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily seem to have a problem with the rule itself, merely the fact that it's your school that was burned. If you think that's "retarded" (nice word choice), then that's fine. This is the last I'll comment on this situation.

#166 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Lamb to the nba bitch please do you even watch college basketball?

#167 JesusShuttlesworth

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily seem to have a problem with the rule itself, merely the fact that it's your school that was burned.

Right, and what I'm saying is you pulled that "observation" out of your butt. Had it happend to Indiana I probably wouldn't be passionate about Indiana getting the hose job, but I certainly wouldn't be on an Indiana thread trying to suggest they got what they deserved and anyone who disagrees simply does so because it's Indiana. Mainly that's because I'm not a shameless hater, to each his own though.

#168 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily seem to have a problem with the rule itself, merely the fact that it's your school that was burned. If you think that's "retarded" (nice word choice), then that's fine. This is the last I'll comment on this situation.

Get off your damn mountaintop, Jesus is no different than 99% of any other fans. When it happens to "your" team it hits you more than a team 3000 miles away that you couldn't give two shits about.
Besides, the injustice here is that UConn has already been punished by the NCAA for their "sins". Now the NCAA is trying to create new rules that would hit UConn again for the same transgressions. Whether they are doing it to hit UConn specifically is a matter of debate

#169 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Get off your damn mountaintop, Jesus is no different than 99% of any other fans. When it happens to "your" team it hits you more than a team 3000 miles away that you couldn't give two shits about.
Besides, the injustice here is that UConn has already been punished by the NCAA for their "sins". Now the NCAA is trying to create new rules that would hit UConn again for the same transgressions. Whether they are doing it to hit UConn specifically is a matter of debate

Ok, this dragged me back in. You're really insinuating that there might be some kind of intentional double jeopardy motive by the NCAA here? The fairness of the punishment is certainly up for debate but you'll need a tinfoil hat to debate the NCAA's motives here.

#170 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,428 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

I am a UConn fan, and can uneqivocably state that it is my opinion that the rule is not fair no matter who it applies to and affects. Will that work for ya?

This would be like banning ND from future BCS bowl games because they failed to make one since 1/3/07 despite a slew of top 10 recruiting classes since then.

#171 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well that was interesting. Still alive. Huge shot by Bazz.

#172 bosox188

• 1,120 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Nice shot kid, DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN

#173 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9,304 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

http://deadspin.com/...ter-in-overtime

ONIONS!

#174 Williams Head Case

• 1,679 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Calhoun set to have lower back surgery and will miss at least two more games before being reevaluated.

#175 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6,847 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Will be interesting to see if the committee gives UConn a chance to dance. Probably depends on how they do against Pitt in the finale, and then in the BET. They're currently #33 in the RPI, but are 3-9 in their last 12 games.

#176 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think they have to beat Pitt and then win one game in the BET. If they go 1-1 in the BET that puts them at 19-13. While that's not a great record, that isn't too bad considering they currently have the toughest schedule in Div 1. They did play Cuse tough twice, although the score of the first matchup doesn't show it.

This is an infuriating team though to watch. Every game they have a 5 minute stretch where they just get steamrolled and they can never overcome that.

Plus the BS technical on Drummond, there are no words on how bad that call was. One of the worst technicals I've ever seen. Cost them two points right there.

Oh, and I've had enough of Blaney. The refs love it though, no doubt.

Edited by StuckOnYouk, 29 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#177 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6,847 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think they have to beat Pitt and then win one game in the BET. If they go 1-1 in the BET that puts them at 19-13. While that's not a great record, that isn't too bad considering they currently have the toughest schedule in Div 1. They did play Cuse tough twice, although the score of the first matchup doesn't show it.

You really could make a case either way for their tourney chances

On the positive side of the ledger:
#33 RPI
#1 SOS
5 wins vs. top 50 RPI teams (FSU, Harvard, South Florida, Notre Dame, Seton Hall - 3 of those teams are locks to make the tournament, 4 are currently in Lunardi's bracket, and USF is the last team out right now)
8 wins vs. top 100 RPI teams
# 16 non-conference RPI
5-7 road + neutral record (better than it looks; Michigan State is 7-6 and in contention for a 1 seed)

On the negative side:
Winless (0-5) vs. RPI top 25 teams
2 losses to RPI sub-100 teams
5-11 in last 16 games
Under .500 record vs RPI top 100 teams (8-10)

Edited by tims4wins, 29 February 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#178 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Complete disaster last night. And guess who the chairman of the committee is: Jeff Hathaway. Pretty sure he won't throw UConn a bone.....

#179 Blue Monkey

• 649 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Complete disaster last night. And guess who the chairman of the committee is: Jeff Hathaway. Pretty sure he won't throw UConn a bone.....

I'm pretty sure Hathaway needs to leave the room when the committee discusses Not just Uconn's chances but all Big East schools.

#180 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm pretty sure Hathaway needs to leave the room when the committee discusses Not just Uconn's chances but all Big East schools.

He's not a UConn or Big East employee anymore. I'm not sure if he has to leave the room or not.

#181 Dan Murfman

• 2,400 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

He's technically Big East employee as it was the only way he could stay on the committee

#182 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Mike Whalen from the Carrier Classic tells KOGO he's invited SDSU to play UConn next season on an East Coast carrier. He'll join us at 12:30

https://twitter.com/#!/XTRA1360Ben/status/174947564632801280
link to tweet
link to tweet

#183 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

7-for-7 from 3 pt range to start the game today....up 10....need this one and tomorrow's game to make sure they are in IMO.

#184 Dan Murfman

• 2,400 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

1 down 10 to go.

#185 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

they are in. Man, they are a dumb team. They NEED Napier to play and play well.

Sad thing here? This might be the last real Big East tourney Uconn ever plays in. They could be banned from next years' tourney and then Pitt/Cuse leave. after that, who cares really, a lot of lustre lost. If the world was perfect, next year you'd get a final four of Uconn, Syracuse, GTown and your choice of Pitt/StJ/Villanova in the Friday night DH and a Uconn-Syracuse final game

#186 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

they are in. Man, they are a dumb team. They NEED Napier to play and play well.

Sad thing here? This might be the last real Big East tourney Uconn ever plays in. They could be banned from next years' tourney and then Pitt/Cuse leave. after that, who cares really, a lot of lustre lost. If the world was perfect, next year you'd get a final four of Uconn, Syracuse, GTown and your choice of Pitt/StJ/Villanova in the Friday night DH and a Uconn-Syracuse final game

The BE tournament hasn't been the same since 2003...

But, seriously, I want UConn in the NCAA Tournament (and they will be). This team has been erratic as hell but UConn always seems to play classics in the big dance.

#187 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6,847 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Getting very close to "lock" status after that win. A win tomorrow would definitely do it, but they'd probably be in today with some level of comfort.

#188 Dan Murfman

• 2,400 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

2 down 8 to go. And so ends The Hillbillies FU tour

#189 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Bye bye Huggy Bear. Take your pullover with you to the Big 12.

I don't have much expectations for what tomorrow afternoon will be like, but I just want to see a nice hard-fought game. If Bazz can do this again, we have a chance. Need Andre to play great as well. I can't wait for tomorrow. There's something about this group and postseason games that makes their competitiveness come out of them. I don't know what it is, but J-Lamb and Bazz are at another level right now.

#190 SoxFan58

• Donald Driver

• 1,477 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

They're in. Their computer resume is too strong and now they've got 20 wins.

#191 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,361 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Drummond is a terrible basketball player. he got embarrassed today both in terms of effort and IQ. Really, this kid has bust written all over him at the next level.

Gotta give Shabazz a lot of credit. They took lamb out of the game in the second half and he needed to step up and did, even though he made two bad plays in the last minute. once the Beard fouled out, Uconn suddenly was able to rebound and get stops defensively. Beofre that, they had been outscored on second chance points 23-8!

Bring on the Cuse!

#192 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Drummond is a terrible basketball player. he got embarrassed today both in terms of effort and IQ. Really, this kid has bust written all over him at the next level.

Gotta give Shabazz a lot of credit. They took lamb out of the game in the second half and he needed to step up and did, even though he made two bad plays in the last minute. once the Beard fouled out, Uconn suddenly was able to rebound and get stops defensively. Beofre that, they had been outscored on second chance points 23-8!

Bring on the Cuse!

I'm not sure what other people's expectations of Andre were when he came in, but I was not anticipating seeing a polished product. He's extremely raw offensively as we've seen and can be tremendous on defense. He needs to stay in school and develop an offensive game.

#193 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,424 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm not sure what other people's expectations of Andre were when he came in, but I was not anticipating seeing a polished product. He's extremely raw offensively as we've seen and can be tremendous on defense. He needs to stay in school and develop an offensive game.

If he is going to be picked in the top 3, why stay in school, especially if UConn is not allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament in 2013. Despite his glaring flaws, he's still going to be a top pick and ensure that he makes gobs of money.

#194 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

For much of the game the bigs were a disgrace for UConn. WV had what, 25 more shots during the game and still lost?

It was touched upon briefly during the game but I'm sick and tired of the charges that are called. It's turning basketball into a soccer match with players flopping all over the place looking for a yellow or red card for the opposition. West Virginia put on a clinic doing it today and the charge call on Napier was hideous and could have cost UConn the game. At least 3 times I can recall losing buckets or possessions on BS charges where the defender acts like he's been shot by Lee Harvey Oswald.

anyway, I've got Tix to Friday's doubleheader. Hopefully the magic carpet ride can continue. If not I'll root my ass off for the Cuse opponent.

#195 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Given his hype, I was expecting to see a much, much better player than what Drummond has shown. I thought you guys were getting a Demarcus Cousins-level player. The kid doesn't even look ready to play token minutes in the NBDL let alone the big show.

#196 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,361 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Given his hype, I was expecting to see a much, much better player than what Drummond has shown. I thought you guys were getting a Demarcus Cousins-level player. The kid doesn't even look ready to play token minutes in the NBDL let alone the big show.

Its clear that Drummond has never, ever been coached by anyone before. he literally has no basketball IQ, where to go, how to postion himslef on offense or defense, and his instincts are terrible. three straight posessions in the first half he was inside his man when a shot when up and had no ability to block out, look for the ball or get the rebound. all three times his guy beat him to the board and layed it in. if he was Demarcus Cousins, Uconn would be an elite team. In most games he is a negative value player

All three recruits have disappointed. People forget that Daniels was the THIRD highest ranked recruit to ever come to Uconn (Drummond was #1, Gay #2 and then Daniels) and he never even plays. a Terrible disappointment. And Boatrihgt was a top 50 kid who was supposed to be a scorer. He shows flashes but his IQ sucks as well and he really hasn't gotten better (although being suspended twice has not helped either).

Still, beat the Cuse tomorrow and all is forgiven. lololol

#197 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,428 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

If nothing else, this erratic and often disappointing season has clarified what a great college basketball player that Kemba Walker guy was.

Good win, should get them in the dance (even with Hathaway heading the seletion committee).

#198 Williams Head Case

• 1,679 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Digger Phelps even suggesting UConn will beat Syracuse tomorrow. I don't like it. Every time this team seems like they are putting it together they find a creative way to rip your heart out. We need the perception to be that we are still nose-diving into the NIT to have a shot at a W.

#199 Dan Murfman

• 2,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

When they got up 8 I actually thought they had a chance to do it again. Now I think it's one win and out next week.

#200 StuckOnYouk

• 2,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

when Drummond put back one of the great dunks I've ever seen, I thought we had it won. But Napier is so jekyl and hyde. One game he'll be hot from the floor and make great passes and the next he puts up a complete stinker and makes brutal decisions. And Lamb of course was again too passive.

the turning point in this game was the 2-on-1 with Boatright where Napier wanted to put it all on himself and puts up a stupid shot. If he passes it to Boatright i'ts an easy 2. So instead of going up 6, Napier misses the shot and a few seconds later Syracuse hits a wide open 3.

UConn could have been up 6 and maybe Beoheim calls a timeout to all of a sudden UConn only going up 1. And then we just fell apart after that.