Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4G Android phone megathread

2818 replies to this topic

#2801 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

So I was all set to go with the LG G3 given that everyone is being absolutely useless with the Nexus 6 and I'm a bit worried about the size, the price, and the good but not great reviews.

Then I see the LG flex 2 is coming out at the end of January on my carrier, I'm interested because it seems to be the first 64 bit phone (810 snapdragon), and the downgraded the screen from the G3, which everything I read says yeah it's great but it's not that much better than normal HD and has battery impacts etc.

It also ships with preloaded lollipop, which is good because here the G3 has updated to it yet at all, because this country sucks.

Also it has a micro slot that takes up to.... 2TB ... which is crazy

So it seems like a slightly smaller, slightly worse screened curved G3, with better software and hardware. Same camera etc. Anyone have any opinions on this bad boy?

#2802 jercra

• 794 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

What's the appeal of a 64 bit chip right now?  How many apps are going to actually be able take advantage of that?  Is the curved screen something you're interested in?  I've never held one so I have no idea if there's a benefit to it.  Does it fit in normal car docks and such or do you need to buy everything new?  Micro SD slot is nice I guess but I don't really understand the need to store more than 32 GB locally (or even more than 8 really).

Lollipop is cool and all but how much longer can we reasonably expect to wait for it in the US on the G3?  It's all over Europe already.  It's probably just a matter of weeks before it's here.

So basically, if the curved screen is something you want and you don't mind the decreased clarity of such a screen, and the price is the same then go for  the upgraded HW but I wouldn't do it just for the upgraded HW and newer OS.  The HW on the existing G3 is still very good, even this far after release.

#2803 teddykgb

• 3,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

I just don't understand why you don't pick up a Nexus.  If you're worried about OS updates and the like, there's basically one way to guarantee that it won't be a problem.  Your life will be much simpler.

#2804 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

I haven't done a nexus because they're being released in dog years here. No store has one in it yet and I want to see how big it really is.
I'm not sure about the phablet size, the LG is a near phablet screen but not much bigger than my galaxy.

I've been waiting for over a month since they went on sale to try one in my hand and.... Still nothing and my current phone has been annoying for a while.

You make good points RE the curve etc. I don't need new anything though.

#2805 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,909 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

ProClips now has car mounts for Nexus 6 available. 

edit - oops - it says 'pre-order.'

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 23 January 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#2806 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,349 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

I understand that around here in patriots land this is verboten, but fuck the NFL and fuck Verizon wireless for their stupid resource and data hog app from hell that can't be uninstalled from a Verizon phone without rooting.

You can complain about the shitty apple u2 thing but this is ten times worse.

On a more general note, I have already fallen into hate with my g3 which has terrible battery life, overheats, and ends up with shit Response times and for instance will go into a touchscreen freeze in the middle of calls (so I can't hang up). I think they have wild variances in build quality and weren't expecting to sell so many. Or maybe again it's fucking vzw. My friend on Sprint has much fewer issues. Going to try a third party launcher after I factory reset and if that doesn't do it I'm dropping it in the ocean and using insurance. Of course, I'd prefer a different phone, so that might not be the right thing to do either.

#2807 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,354 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Yup I was just coming to say that because of other issues I am returning my g3

I like it but....
The battery life is bad and it needs rebooting to stop it chugging and with noticeable slowdown and lag. After a reboot its ok.

I love the case and the circle apps but... Nothing is supported.how is Spotify not an option for example.

The screen is pretty. But pointless. And the battery life just isn't good enough because of it.

The screen size relative to phone size rules.

I may try the flex 2 which has better processors and a good but not ultra hd screen. So that may fix my two main issues.

If I go back to the us then the Verizon turbo thingy seems good.

The charge is slow too. as it's a big battery with no fast charge. Wireless is nice but fussy. It wouldn't work with any other charger bar the official lg one. Plus the cover isn't ideal on the wireless charger as it flops around.

Anyway not sure why it gets such amazing press and reviews. Has issues.

#2808 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 16,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

The charge is slow too. as it's a big battery with no fast charge.

The G3 battery life sucks compared to the G2 by all accounts, but it has fast charge.  You should be able to fully charge it in under 2 hours.  Phonearena.com has it as the #4 fastest-charging phone (the G2 Pro is #2).

#2809 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,349 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

It will only charge at full speed with about 30% of third party chargers though,at least in my experience. For instance my hotel has usb plugs in the outlets but the phone will only charge right if I have its own plug in the normal outlet. And it won't charge connected to my laptop. Etc. Etc.

#2810 timlinin8th

• 441 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

And it won't charge connected to my laptop. Etc. Etc.

Really? That's weird, I have a g3 and it charges off my laptop no problem. I let it charge while transferring music around.

*Edit to note: mine is vzw as well*

Edited by timlinin8th, 25 January 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#2811 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:11 AM

That fast charge with lg chargers makes sense. I have old Samsung and blackberry and its slow but it's not always slow. Also fits with the wireless charger only working with lg charger.

#2812 Joe Sixpack

• 2,068 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 AM

If you look at the specs on those old chargers you can get an idea of how fast it should charge. Most of the older chargers are 1A. Newer chargers tend to be 2A and thus charge twice as fast. If you look at the output specs on the casing of the charger it should tell you.

USB 2.0 ports on a laptop deliver only 500mA, so if you have one of those, it'll charge either not at all or extremely slowly. USB 3 should be somewhat better but I don't recall offhand how much you can get off it or if the extra output even works without having the odd shaped connector.

So in short make sure you're using a charger with at least 2 amps output if your phone supports fast charging.

#2813 charlieoscar

• 36 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 AM

The charger that comes with the LG G3 is labeled as a Travel Adapter and has a detachable USB cable. It is rated at 5V-1.8A.

#2814 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,349 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Yeah I understand these things, the point is that in order to support the largely pointless screen resolution, the phone is less useful/universal than other phones on the market.

Point is, this phone is performing, two months in, like phones usually do after I have had them for a couple of years - in terms of lag and battery life.  I did a factory reset this weekend and will try to track down if there are rogue apps, but analysis of CPU and battery usage didn't show anything.  The battery does seem to heat up easily, I'm suspicious of a charging circuit defect, which then sets off all of the built in performance restrictions that are there to shut the phone down before the battery explodes from heat.  But, if I talk to a Verizon person with this exact conversation, they tell me I'm stuck with it until it actually breaks and becomes completely unusable, even with the insurance.  And of course insurance only sends me a refurbished piece of shit anyway and I have to re-use my own battery.  

Basically the entire cell phone industry can eat a bowl of dicks.

#2815 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,434 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:57 AM

If you look at the specs on those old chargers you can get an idea of how fast it should charge. Most of the older chargers are 1A. Newer chargers tend to be 2A and thus charge twice as fast. If you look at the output specs on the casing of the charger it should tell you.

USB 2.0 ports on a laptop deliver only 500mA, so if you have one of those, it'll charge either not at all or extremely slowly. USB 3 should be somewhat better but I don't recall offhand how much you can get off it or if the extra output even works without having the odd shaped connector.

So in short make sure you're using a charger with at least 2 amps output if your phone supports fast charging.

It will only charge twice as fast if the device can take a full 2 amps.  I am not aware of any phones that can at the moment.  Most are in the 1 - 1.4 amp range.

If you buy a third party charger, just make sure that the total output is at least as much as the original charger and you should be in good shape.

If your phone is Quickcharge 2.0 equipped, then you will need a Quickcharge 2.0 charger.

The LG G3 from Verizon does not support Quickcharge 2.0.  I asked and tested my LGG3 at the Qualcomm booth at CES.

#2816 Joe Sixpack

• 2,068 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:37 PM

It will only charge twice as fast if the device can take a full 2 amps.  I am not aware of any phones that can at the moment.  Most are in the 1 - 1.4 amp range.

If you buy a third party charger, just make sure that the total output is at least as much as the original charger and you should be in good shape.

If your phone is Quickcharge 2.0 equipped, then you will need a Quickcharge 2.0 charger.

The LG G3 from Verizon does not support Quickcharge 2.0.  I asked and tested my LGG3 at the Qualcomm booth at CES.

I have a Galaxy Note 3, and with a 2A charger, it will charge at 1800mA, so it makes a significant difference.

#2817 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,434 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

I have a Galaxy Note 3, and with a 2A charger, it will charge at 1800mA, so it makes a significant difference.

I'm sure it does on your phone.  It won't make a lick of difference if the phone's limit is less than 2A.

#2818 jercra

• 794 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Is it possible it's the different radios in VZW vs GSM in ATT/T-Mobile.  I've seriously had none of these issues.  I've got nearly 13 hours on battery including phone calls, music streaming and lots of SoSH browsing and I've still got 51% battery.  The battery has also never been hot for me.  With both of my last phones on VZW (Moto X and HTC One M7) my phone would get very hot and once that happened the battery would die a fast death.  I know it's a single data point and anecdotal, I'm just surprised to see all the hate.

#2819 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,349 posts

Posted Today, 12:42 AM

I guess now we'll see if lollipop will help... And I guess if vzw will be rolling lollipop

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users