Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4G Android phone megathread

2422 replies to this topic

#2401 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4740 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

yeah, her self-esteem issues are a result of a contest.

IMG_20140812_174216.0.jpg

I assume you mean her photography skills (since she was able to mirror-reverse the image). Because, otherwise, you're sort of proving the point.

#2402 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14269 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

FYI, if you have a college student (or college alumni) .edu email address, you can buy a Moto X from Motorola for $339.

#2403 seageral

• 1298 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

the lg g3 is not super pretty but otherwise awesome.

#2404 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33882 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I assume you mean her photography skills (since she was able to mirror-reverse the image). Because, otherwise, you're sort of proving the point.

Nope, I was referring to her being a gawd-damned Ham Planet ;)

#2405 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8080 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

So I'm eligible for an upgrade through for Verizon.  I'm definitely waiting until October or so to get a new phone so I can see what Apple comes out with for the iPhone 6.  I'm thinking about jumping ship after having my S3 get buggy on me time after time.  Is anything coming through the pipeline around the same time that would make me change my mind?

#2406 bohous

• 1022 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

So I'm eligible for an upgrade through for Verizon.  I'm definitely waiting until October or so to get a new phone so I can see what Apple comes out with for the iPhone 6.  I'm thinking about jumping ship after having my S3 get buggy on me time after time.  Is anything coming through the pipeline around the same time that would make me change my mind?

Moto X+1 (and 360 watch) will be out in September.  Not sure it will be a game changer but it should be worth a look.

#2407 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 11843 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

That's about it Zomp.  All the Hero handsets from the top manufacturers have launched or are right around the corner.

Samsung GS5:  Launched

HTC One M8:  Launched

LG G3:  Launched

Moto X+1:  September Announcement

iPhone 6 4.7" :  September Announcement

The only other devices coming are the Note 4 and possibly a 5.5" variant of the iPhone 6, but I doubt you are looking for something that large.

#2408 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14698 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

I just replaced the screen on my phone (LG g2). It's surprisingly easy, no soldering or anything like that. Just a lot of screws, careful prying, and cutting tape to fit. I pulled up a YouTube vid and just followed along. Tedious, but very doable; total cost $70.

#2409 Joe Sixpack

• 1962 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

I just replaced the screen on my phone (LG g2). It's surprisingly easy, no soldering or anything like that. Just a lot of screws, careful prying, and cutting tape to fit. I pulled up a YouTube vid and just followed along. Tedious, but very doable; total cost $70.

Did you need a heat gun? I talked to a friend who replaced the screen on his GS3 and he said he had to use a heat gun.  I will have to do this soon for my wife's Lumia 1020. Hope it's as easy as you say.

#2410 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14698 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

No heat gun. That would have saved time, but just prying slowly worked fine.

#2411 bgo544

• 437 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

My wife and I are ready to ditch Sprint, mostly to save money. I like my S3, which is nearly 2 years old, but my wife's is a lemon - lots of glitchy issues with the camera, and starting to have other problems as well.

Her mom just started up a Mobile Share plan on AT&T, and is offering to add us to the plan and cover a portion of our costs, which would end up cutting our monthly wireless bill in half. The main issue is having to get new phones, at a time when we are a bit cash poor from having just bought a house. I'm cheap, so I would keep my S3 if I could, but that is not an option. What phones are out there these days that are good but not way up in the $600 range?

#2412 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14698 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

My wife and I are ready to ditch Sprint, mostly to save money. I like my S3, which is nearly 2 years old, but my wife's is a lemon - lots of glitchy issues with the camera, and starting to have other problems as well.

Her mom just started up a Mobile Share plan on AT&T, and is offering to add us to the plan and cover a portion of our costs, which would end up cutting our monthly wireless bill in half. The main issue is having to get new phones, at a time when we are a bit cash poor from having just bought a house. I'm cheap, so I would keep my S3 if I could, but that is not an option. What phones are out there these days that are good but not way up in the $600 range?

The LG/Google Nexus 5 is about as good a phone as there is, at $350.  The Moto G is a fine phone at $200.

#2413 bgo544

• 437 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Looks like Google is letting the supplies of the Nexus 5 run down. The 16G models are all sold out. Perhaps the 6 is on the horizon?

#2414 Bergs

• 3100 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

After 5 years or so of BlackBerry, I switched to a Galaxy 5S...I thought I'd miss the keyboard. I don't. This thing is blowing my mind.

#2415 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383610 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

All of the sudden I'm getting a message that my gmail login is invalid when I go into my email.  I thought maybe I was hacked or something so I changed my password.  It still doesn't work.  But it works when I open my email in a browser, or if I switch to the gmail app, or if I go into my playstore account, and everything else.  It only won't work on the Android mail app.  What the hell do I do?

#2416 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383610 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Never mind.  It started to work all of the sudden.

#2417 jayhoz

• 11843 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Why are you using the Android mail app instead of the Gmail app?

#2418 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383610 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

I've never liked the gmail app.  I can't put my finger on why.  The latest version of the stock app that's on my M8 seems much better to me.

#2419 raylaw21

• 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

So just switch to a prepaid plan on Verizon and wanted a cheap phone so I got the Moto G. Anybody have one and if so do you like it? All the reviews are pretty good just wanted to see SOSH thoughts. I figured you can't beat 70 bucks for a smartphone!

#2420 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16612 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

My G3 is "out for delivery" .  I will share my thoughts when I have some time with it.

Give the messaging app "Hello" a try.  Clean an simple with tabbed message streams.

hs1.png

I have been using hello.  the biggest frustration to me is that when you share something using the app (instead of starting within the app), you have to scroll your list of "people you text" with no access to just typing from contacts, searching contacts, or entering a new number (for instance, if as right now I want to text a couple of pictures to a contractor).  

I just fucking hate when people don't consider use cases that are integral to the mobile experience.  I've sent them a message about it.  It's dumb.  Like really dumb.

#2421 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7383 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Got an LG G3 today (T-Mobile). I think I'm impressed but it's going to take me about nine weeks to figure everything out )I'm coming from an Android Gingerbread phone). One thing that is irksome is that the email app lets you add several different sources but the one for Microsoft is Hotmail and I haven't been able to get my Outlook address added. GMail, no problem, but I don't want to change my business cards (because ( just did).

#2422 jayhoz

• 11843 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Have you tried adding a "Microsoft Exchange" account?

#2423 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7383 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Have you tried adding a "Microsoft Exchange" account?

Yes, and I didn't get that to work either.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users