Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4G Android phone megathread

2323 replies to this topic

#2301 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 11676 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

I did almost the same thing with a Droid Razr Maxx yesterday becoming a S5 as Verizon had a major sale that is running through the 27th I believe.  Same three phones(essentially) and I chose the S5, it came down to the G3 and S5 for me and I've seen enough people who have early hand's on the G3 having battery/overheating issues so I went Samsung for this cycle.  I don't think either of us will regret this, samsung seems to be the biggest fish at the moment.

I also ended up with two Iphone 5s's in the order for the family that I can't convince to switch so I still feel dirty over the whole thing - But I was able to pull off the buddy upgrade to keep my unlimited data plan for one more cycle so I'm psyched about that.

Anyone have any good tips on setting up the S5 with foxfi or hotspot program?  My bet is that day is coming to a close very quickly...

If the S5 is anything like the S3 you can root it, install Cyanogen Mod and tether to your hearts content.

Do you have any more details on the G3 battery issue?  I am 95% sure that's the phone for me.

#2302 Valek123

• 140 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Do you have any more details on the G3 battery issue?  I am 95% sure that's the phone for me.

Most complete review I've seen yet - Anandtech(I think is the best tech site on the web)

The issues with battery/overheating all seem to stem from the screen, it seems it causes heat which throttles processing power.  My understanding from other reviews is if you use it at all as a GPS in a car it shuts off the screen due to overheating.  I'm sure there will be a firmware fix to correct it, it seems like a simple problem of course this could be the Achilles heal also so I went elsewhere as I've had huge problems with my current phone in the last 36 hours and it in no uncertain terms told me it was time for a new phone.  I was bummed but I just didn't have the time to wait to see how the G3 sorted out and I've got a feeling I may regret it in the end...  

One fix discussed by G3 users is to reduce brightness in the screen as much as possible and they don't see the issue - other G3 common problem fixes here.  Again, I'm bummed as I've been looking at this phone rumors for 3-4 months waiting for it's release and I just ran out of time...

#2303 bohous

• 998 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

If the S5 is anything like the S3 you can root it, install Cyanogen Mod and tether to your hearts content.

Do I understand correctly that hotspot isn't built into Android OS? You have to root to create a hotspot?

#2304 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

'Hotspot' is built in to Android.  With the new tiered data plans, you can use the phone as a hotspot to your heart's content- they're dinging you for the data either way.

Previously with unlimited data plans, you would have to pay your provider for the use of the hotspot, otherwise, why ever pay for actual wired internet?  Rooting your phone would remove the need for you to have to pay your provider to use the hotspot. 

Chances are if you're on an unlimited data plan, you'd need to root in order to use your hotspot for no charge.  If you're on a tiered plan, you don't have to pay or root- you're just using your monthly data allotment.

#2305 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

The S4 is locked up pretty tight so I imagine the S5 is the same way. 

You can root the S4, but as far as I know the bootloader is still locked so flashing ROMS isn't really realistic.

Also, I got a big 5200 battery for my S4 that certainly makes the phone bigger and a bit clunky, but good lord it's amazing to have a battery that legitimately lasts a full day of heavy usage. It feels like a new and improved phone.

#2306 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1347 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have a weird verizon corporate plan that doesn't include tethering. I use Foxfi with my S5, which allows me to get around Verizon's attempt to require tethering as part of my plan. I do have to use an untrusted cert to encrypt the traffic so that Verizon can't see that it's traffic from a computer, but it works fine other than that.

#2307 bohous

• 998 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

'Hotspot' is built in to Android.  With the new tiered data plans, you can use the phone as a hotspot to your heart's content- they're dinging you for the data either way.

Previously with unlimited data plans, you would have to pay your provider for the use of the hotspot, otherwise, why ever pay for actual wired internet?  Rooting your phone would remove the need for you to have to pay your provider to use the hotspot. 

Chances are if you're on an unlimited data plan, you'd need to root in order to use your hotspot for no charge.  If you're on a tiered plan, you don't have to pay or root- you're just using your monthly data allotment.

OK, that makes sense for people on unlimited plan, although I couldn't imagine using cellular data as primary internets access

#2308 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4657 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

The S4 is locked up pretty tight so I imagine the S5 is the same way. 

You can root the S4, but as far as I know the bootloader is still locked so flashing ROMS isn't really realistic.

Also, I got a big 5200 battery for my S4 that certainly makes the phone bigger and a bit clunky, but good lord it's amazing to have a battery that legitimately lasts a full day of heavy usage. It feels like a new and improved phone.

..... On Verizon. Those of you on other carriers tend to have a less locked-down bootloader.

#2309 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

..... On Verizon. Those of you on other carriers tend to have a less locked-down bootloader.

Yea true point. 

Every other day I flirt with going to T-Mobile so I can get a Nexus device. One of these days..

#2310 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4657 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Yea true point. 

Every other day I flirt with going to T-Mobile so I can get a Nexus device. One of these days..

I have an S4 on TMo and even that bootloader isn't as annoying. Lots of fun stuff happening there.

Nexus devices are nice, but at the time I switched, the Nexus line had no LTE. Maybe I'll get a OnePlus One in the future... In case it's actually not vaporware.

#2311 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7980 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

The Straight Talk buys bandwidth from everyone, and assigns based on the phone you buy.  Moto G looks like it is on T-mobile's network so even the Straight Talk one is going to be GSM.

It's based on the SIM you buy. Not related to the phone. Buy a TMO SIM, get TMO. (Don't buy a TMO SIM.)

#2312 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

I ordered the unlocked Moto G LTE from Motorola via Amazon. Surprisingly, it took 5 days to get shipped, so I don't have it yet. 

#2313 fenwaypaul

• 3084 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

My 2.5-year-old Razr Maxx has slowed to the point of becoming virtually unusable: sometimes it's tolerably responsive, but increasingly often taps aren't recognized for 30-60 seconds or more, and I get tons of app-not-responding alerts. Sometimes I miss incoming calls because the swipe-to-answer action is ignored and the call goes to voicemail. Lately it's taken to rebooting spontaneously. I wipe cache every day or two, but that only helps a little and the improvement is short-lived. I've given up trying to figure out what is eating up all the processing resources; I've had enough and want to upgrade.

A while back I inquired about phones with good cameras (the Raxr Maxx's camera is one of its worst features -- infuriating shutter lag and poor low-light performance), and several posters recommended the Samsung Galaxy S4. Now that the S5 is out, I wonder if anyone has had experience with its camera. I also wonder if the audio dropout problem that plagued the Nexus has been resolved in later Samsung phones.

#2314 Valek123

• 140 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

My 2.5-year-old Razr Maxx has slowed to the point of becoming virtually unusable: sometimes it's tolerably responsive, but increasingly often taps aren't recognized for 30-60 seconds or more, and I get tons of app-not-responding alerts. Sometimes I miss incoming calls because the swipe-to-answer action is ignored and the call goes to voicemail. Lately it's taken to rebooting spontaneously. I wipe cache every day or two, but that only helps a little and the improvement is short-lived. I've given up trying to figure out what is eating up all the processing resources; I've had enough and want to upgrade.

Mine is doing the IDENTICAL thing, totally sucks, battery life has turned horrific. Almost like some update nerf'd it as it suddenly sucks.

I've got an S5 on the way, will be here Monday and answer some as for you. I'm also going to factory reset maxx to see what's going on.

#2315 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Factory resets are the way to go. Things just get bogged down sometimes. 

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 12 July 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#2316 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

It's based on the SIM you buy. Not related to the phone. Buy a TMO SIM, get TMO. (Don't buy a TMO SIM.)

OK, the Moto G 4GLTE has arrived from Amazon. This is the SIM that gets me on AT&T's network via Straight Talk, and not on T-Mobile's?

#2317 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3470 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

That looks correct.

#2318 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

That looks correct.

Thanks. Ordered it, but it's going to take another week.

Delay may be helpful, though, as AT&T is making a surprise late bid in an effort to poach a verizon customer. Rep says I can get 15% off the GoPhone no-contract plans. I am awaiting further details.

#2319 Valek123

• 140 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

2 days in and very impressed with the S5, battery life has been great and the screen is tremendous.  UI is a bit of a PIA, but its pretty good overall - I've been too busy with other things to do much besides call, text, check web, email and Clash of clans and I've had no issues with any of those items so I'm happy so far.  We'll see how it goes long-term but so far so good.

#2320 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

2 days in and very impressed with the S5, battery life has been great and the screen is tremendous.  UI is a bit of a PIA, but its pretty good overall - I've been too busy with other things to do much besides call, text, check web, email and Clash of clans and I've had no issues with any of those items so I'm happy so far.  We'll see how it goes long-term but so far so good.

A 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher will drastically improve the phone and hide the worst of Touch Wizz. Well worth the $2 or whatever.

#2321 fenwaypaul

• 3084 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Factory resets are the way to go. Things just get bogged down sometimes. 

Well, I finally bit the bullet and did a full factory reset, after spending a day saving everything I could think of to my hard drive. It turned out to be a much less painful process than I feared: most apps and files were (eventually) restored automatically from the cloud, probably because of my belt-suspenders-and-elastic-waistband employment of backup tools (Verizon Cloud, Google, and whatever other ones you get without asking -- Motorola's backup service wanted $$$, so I skipped that one). The Razr Maxx is way more responsive now. It's not quite like new, but at least it's usable. I am, however, still getting the spontaneous reboots, which I suspect may be hardware-related (possibly caused by a sticky power switch?). I might be able to live with this thing until the iPhone 6/Samsung S6 era arrives, but I'll be keeping a keen eye on the S5 reports anyway.

#2322 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted Today, 01:10 AM

OK, I picked up the microSIM from Straight Talk at Walmart. Time to activate the Moto G. Only worrisome thing is nothing on the microSIM packaging said it was for AT&T phones.

#2323 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3470 posts

Posted Today, 10:29 AM

If you had bought a phone from T-Mobile they would have to unlock it before it would work on AT&T's network, and vice versa.  Since you have a new unlocked GSM phone it should work on either network and so your AT&T card should work fine.

You will likely need to enter some APN settings for things like MMS and mobile data to work fully, this is normal for using an unlocked phone.  I entered AT&T info into my new Sony for instance.

#2324 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13756 posts

Posted Today, 12:47 PM

OK, the serial number on the microSIM itself has an AT&T number. As a newbie, the almost total lack of instruction that comes with the Moto G is frustrating! It ain't as intuitive as they think.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users