Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Luck and the Ducks: Pac-12 Football 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8088 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

I think it'll be Oregon in the North and Utah in the South (USC being on probation keeps them out of the Pac-12 champ game).

It's nice to see a conference that has divisions that are easy to remember.

Edited by Infield Infidel, 04 August 2011 - 11:00 PM.

#2 cgori

• 1480 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

I've got November 12th circled. (Oregon @ Stanford)

#3 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

I will go to my grave thinking that if last year's game is played at a neutral site, or at Stanford, there's a chance the unthinkable happens and Stanford is playing for a nation title. Of course, frogs and locusts would follow, so maybe it's for the best.

Definitely heading to Big Game this year, and hoping to snag tickets for Oregon. That could be like the first game I went to as a frosh - Something like 59-57, four and a half hours.

#4 kanga12

• 1573 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Cal will be playing all their home games at AT&T Park this season since Memorial Stadium is under renovation until 2012. It'll be interesting to see what the student turnout will be...

Btw, why isn't the Big Game the last regular game for Cal/Stanfurd?

#5 kanga12

• 1573 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Looking at the schedules, Utah doesn't play either Oregon or Stanford (and plays ASU at home) while USC plays both Oregon and Stanford and ASU has to play at Oregon.

#6 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

It hasn't been the last game a few times in the recent past. I agree, it's stupid. And it just invites a letdown game for both programs.

#7 SPDougie

• 259 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

Cal will be playing all their home games at AT&T Park this season since Memorial Stadium is under renovation until 2012. It'll be interesting to see what the student turnout will be...

Btw, why isn't the Big Game the last regular game for Cal/Stanfurd?

I noticed that ASU/Arizona isn't the last game on each other's schedules either and am not sure why since that usually is the case.

#8 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Incidentally, the traffic jams caused by Cal games at AT&T are terrible. One more reason to despise the weanies.

#9 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

I noticed that ASU/Arizona isn't the last game on each other's schedules either and am not sure why since that usually is the case.

The power that is ESPN. It's happened a few times the last few years as ESPN televises the game. In 2007 it was still the last game, but shifted back a week from the traditional Friday after Thanksgiving as ESPN put the ASU/USC matchup in prime time. Then in 09 UA played USC the week after the ASU game. This year I think the shift was based on television as well.

#10 Domer

• 1893 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

The reason why Cal-Stanford isn't the last week of the season is because ND-Stanford was already scheduled for that week and the Pac-12 championship game was added after that. I don't think Stanford would be willing to give up that biennial date with Notre Dame, because it was always their only large crowd of the season before Harbaugh came along.

#11 Gdiguy

• 477 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

With a pick-6, ASU is now blowing out USC... it's looking more and more like ASU is the team to beat for the Pac-12 south championship. It's still a bit hard to judge AZ (they've lost the last 3 games pretty badly, but all vs top-10 teams, so they could easily come back and feast on the rest of the pac-12), but they didn't look particularly good in those (especially defensively)... otherwise the South division isn't really looking so good, Utah/Colorado/UCLA haven't really been at all impressive

Edited by Gdiguy, 25 September 2011 - 12:38 AM.

#12 Infield Infidel

• 8088 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, ASU looked very good yesterday. How they hell did they lose to Illinois?

#13 Infield Infidel

• 8088 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Infield Infidel, 26 September 2011 - 03:58 AM.

#14 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I unconditionally love that pic.

Gameday to Eugene next week for ASU vs Oregon. Hoping for better results than 2007.

With Colorado, Utah, and Arizona winless in the Pac and U$C on probation, this game could impact home field in the championship.

Go Devils.

#15 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8669 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

I haven't been able to follow the Cats since early last year, what the hell happened to cause that collapse and Stoops getting booted?

#16 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Their schedule was backloaded last year - final games Stanford, USC, Oregon, ASU, then OK State in the bowl game. Then front loaded this year after Northern AZ w/OK State, Stanford, Oregon, USC. Factor in the loss to Oregon State last weekend and the only win in the last 11 games was Northern AZ.

Combine that with a 41-50 overall record and Stoops is out.

I'm really going to miss him and his conistent mediocrity down there.

Edited by Hambone, 11 October 2011 - 07:57 AM.

#17 cgori

• 1480 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

Always a tough night for Stanford fans when Cal plays USC, lesser of two evils and all.

I just watched Cal throw an INT resulting in a TD, and the USC band played All Right Now. I actually laughed at that, and I am basically never amused by the USC band.

#18 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Actually, the USC band plays all right now after every opponent. I thought they only did it against Stanford, but they do against every opponent.

Also, fuck the USC band.

#19 cgori

• 1480 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'm significantly less impressed then.

#20 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:27 AM

I'm significantly less impressed then.

was supposed to read "opponent turnover." regardless, however impressed you remain, you should be still less so.

#21 Infield Infidel

• 8088 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Even without Thomas and James, Oregon had no problem with Colorado, and shouldn't have trouble with Wash St next week. So basically they get two and three weeks off, respectively, then come back for the homestretch of Wash/Stanford/USC/Civil War.

#22 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

A few days behind on this, but Oregon CB Cliff Harris (he of the Pre-Season All-American honor and 118 mph speeding ticket) has been suspended indefinitely by Chip Kelly for driving with that suspended license (2 days short of reinstatement!) and more likely just general stupidity. Kelly's "indefiniteness" may mean different things for different situations, but most Duck fans I know (including myself) would be fine with this suspension lasting the remainder of the season. His team distraction:playmaking ratio has dramatically increased this year and he is perceived as little more than a general pain in the ass now.

#23 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Despite failing to take control over their future and turning into a completely awful football team, ASU can still sneak into the PAC-12 title game with a combination of a win vs Cal, UCLA loss to U$C and Utah beating Colorado.

In that outcome, is it possible to turn down the invite? How many schools that make a conference championship fire their coach?

#24 DegenerateSoxFan

• 733 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Despite failing to take control over their future and turning into a completely awful football team, ASU can still sneak into the PAC-12 title game with a combination of a win vs Cal, UCLA loss to U$C and Utah beating Colorado.

In that outcome, is it possible to turn down the invite? How many schools that make a conference championship fire their coach?

I think Erickson's shelf life is just about up. I'm a huge Sun Devil homer, but this program has been a colossal underachiever for way too long. They haven't had a truly elite squad since the Jake Plummer/Pat Tillman Rose Bowl team. And the new unis are atrocious. What the f!@$ was wrong with Sparky? They've got to find someone who can recruit more than the local AZ kids and the scraps from southern California.

#25 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38262 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Stanford defensive assistant coach Chester McGlockton, a 4-time Pro Bowler with the Raiders, died this morning at age 42.

ESPN

Edited by mabrowndog, 30 November 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#26 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

That sucks. It seemed on the sidelines that he had lost a lot of the playing weight, and if he was coaching at a D1 level I have to assume it wasn't debilitating concussion symptoms... 42 is pretty damn young.

#27 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

I think Erickson's shelf life is just about up. I'm a huge Sun Devil homer, but this program has been a colossal underachiever for way too long. They haven't had a truly elite squad since the Jake Plummer/Pat Tillman Rose Bowl team. And the new unis are atrocious. What the f!@$ was wrong with Sparky? They've got to find someone who can recruit more than the local AZ kids and the scraps from southern California.

Recruiting wasn't Erickson's issue. Maintaining control of his team and instilling discipline was. Koetter didn't leave him with much to work with and Erickson's teams fielded collectively the fastest, strongest athletes I've seen since I've been following ASU (stepped on campus in January 1999) - they just weren't good at the whole winning thing, which is...well... unfortunate.

If they make a good coaching hire, the new coach has the ability to compete next year given the offensive skill players that are returning as well as the overall athleticism on fefense, so long as they can get the players to devote more time to studying film to reduce vulnerability to the big play.

Also - I thought this facebook status from Bryce Erickson was awesome.

I would first like to thank Arizona State University for giving me the opportunity to coach football for such a great program. The last 5 years of my life I have been surrounded by wonderful people involved with the program that truly care about the success of their program and their student athletes.

Second I want to apologize to the “TRUE” SunDevil fans that we have let down as a coaching staff.... You deserve a top notch program year in and year out and we did not deliver that! You will however find that the talent level has increased tremendously over the past 5 years and ASU will have no problem being competitive against any other school in the Pac-12 Conference for years to come. It is sad in my humble opinion that the “TRUE” SunDevil fans were more of a minority then a majority is this area! I truly appreciate all of the support since I have been here from the “TRUE” fans and you have my upmost gratitude.

The student section rocked and can hang with any crowd across the nation! I have given ASU everything I have. I have dedicated and committed my heart to this program 110%. I will hold my head high in confidence knowing that I left ASU in a better place than it was when I got here.

I embrace change and am excited for the next chapter in my life to begin. I will take the lessons I have learned from this experience and I will stride to become a better football coach and a better person. Much Love to the coaches I have coached with.

Thanks for the knowledge, thanks for the memories and thanks for the love. My heart goes out to my father! He is one of the best football coaches to ever coach the game. If I become half the coach that you are then my career will be a successful one. Thanks for the opportunity and I love you Pops! One Love to you all and let the change begin!!!

Edited by Hambone, 01 December 2011 - 02:12 PM.

#28 Hambone

• will post for drinks

• 1993 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

Also Sparky is still ASU's mascot and his image is a sticker on the back of the helmet. ASU had different 'faces' for football, basketball and baseball, which have been unified under the pitchfork.

Sparky is still around at all events and does push ups for touchdowns. Honestly I think you'll start seeing more of him again in the coming years as well, potentially even on the uniforms, but this season was to push the new logo.

At first I didn't know what I thought of the new logo, but I think the Unis look slick and the recruits love them, which is what really matters.

#29 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Jesus Christ is Oregon fucking fast.

The fact that LSU stopped them from scoring every time they touched the ball is pretty indicative of how good the Tigers are.

(cries into beer about how if the boys could have come up with a couple fluky stops they'd be on track to get massacred by LSU in the title game)

Edit: Or, um, maybe Georgia will knock LSU out of it.

Edited by Old Fart Tree, 03 December 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#30 Gunfighter 09

• wants to be caribou ken

• 4305 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Jesus Christ is Oregon fucking fast.

The fact that LSU stopped them from scoring every time they touched the ball is pretty indicative of how good the Tigers are.

(cries into beer about how if the boys could have come up with a couple fluky stops they'd be on track to get massacred by LSU in the title game)

Edit: Or, um, maybe Georgia will knock LSU out of it.

Yeah, LSU is certainly the only team in the country that was good enough to beat them.

#31 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

If you're implying that I'm not being fair to U$C, you're right. It's a... thing with me. It's how I do what I do when I do what I do.

I didn't watch the game, so I still can't believe they managed to beat the Ducks. Also, I think I was writing them off because they weren't playing for anything, what with the aftermath of the hopeless corruption and all.

#32 axx

• 4958 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, a Top 5 AP Poll finish under sanction is rather impressive actually.

#33 Infield Infidel

• 8088 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

I think it's the best season under probation since Terry Bowden's undefeated Auburn team in the early 90s

#34 Gunfighter 09

• wants to be caribou ken

• 4305 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

If Barkley and Kalil really are a package deal, and they come back, SC will be a huge favorite in the PAC-12 next year and probably top 3 nationally.

I was as anti-Kiffin as you can get, but I am was pleasantly surprised with how well he ran the show this year. A better home clock operator against Stanford and they go 11-1. Even with that, the continued domination over ND and UCLA combined with showing that you can beat Chip Kelley with less than a month of preparation was very impressive.

If you're implying that I'm not being fair to U$C, you're right. It's a... thing with me. It's how I do what I do when I do what I do.

It is ok, after what your guys have done to the Trojans the last five years, you rate it. I imagine things will be back to normal starting next year, however. You keep saying that Stanford would look bad against a team with top 5 talent and speed, but based on how they played against SC, who has that level of athlete, I think they would stay with LSU just fine.

Edited by Gunfighter 09, 04 December 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#35 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16238 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

ND and Stanford discussing details about a possible 2013 matchup in China per Pete Thamel.

#36 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5072 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Wow. Pac-12 indeed.

Hell, that sounds like a pretty good time.

#37 Royal Reader

• 1240 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

So since no 2012 thread yet... Barry J Sanders going to Stanford seems to suggest the Cardinal won't be plumbing the depths again for a while yet.