Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Trade Deadline 2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
706 replies to this topic

#1 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,112 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Interesting tidbits in Rob Neyer's chat today:

Josh (Miami, FL): Theo Epstein needs to make a deal fast for Soriano and move Loretta to third, because Mike Lowell is just about to go into the tank for the rest of the year. He's never been in second half player in his best years, and his numbers have already begun to slip big time.

Rob Neyer: (3:19 PM ET ) You might be right about Lowell, but I guarantee you'll never see Soriano playing second base for the Red Sox. What's more likely, I think, is the Red Sox dealing for a first baseman and moving Youkilis back to third base.

Mike Lowell did NOT have a good June: Only an anemic 702 OPS, but this is the first time I've heard of even the remote possibility of his being moved. With that contract of his, who could possibly be interested, and who would the Sox get at first base?

#2 Plantiers Wart

• 2,701 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

They aren't saying Lowell would be traded, just that he would be replaced (in the starting line-up). He would still be here as a bench player.

#3 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,653 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

While Lowell has historically been better in the first half, his OPS jumped 60 points last year in the second half. Granted, he had a terrible year overall though.

#4 normstalls

• 1,988 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

Considering boston's pitching situation (both starters and relievers) I cant imagine upgrading offense at 3b is a top priority. I would be surprised if theo pulled off a move like that. Lowells D is top notch and Youks is really settling in and play a very solid 1b. I dont think it would be wise to mess with the IF at this point.

To me, the top 1,2 and 3 priorities should be pitching. The obvious problem is that there is not much out there...Mortgaging the future for D Willis is not the answer.

#5 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,803 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

Wait...so the Red Sox should hurry up and ditch Mike Lowell (who's playing GG-quality defense, even if he is less productive at the plate over the last month) and move Youkilis to 3b (where he's shown he's not GG quality) and trade assets for a 1b? With WMP playing 1b on his rehab assignment? Really?!

The Red Sox do not have "unlimited" minor league assets - they have enough to cobble together one major acquisition - IF a player (read: pitcher) of high-enough quality comes available.

Given the problems/struggles/looming issues with the 4-5 starters, I'd say a looming offensive "collapse" by Lowell should be much lower on the list of problems.

#6 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

One thing I could see is the Sox acquiring a lefty 1B with a plus bat, likely right at the deadline or into the waiver period in August. This would be a hedge against an injury or slump to Lowell or Youk, and would allow for a significant PH off the bench from the left side (presumably WMP will be available from the right side). Though, acquiring one likely would make it tough to keep Kapler, not a big problem for me but I suspect one for Tito.

Ben Broussard is a possibility, though I've never been a huge believer in his bat. Hee Seop is theoretically exactly this, though he's been struggling a great deal.

It's not something I'd give up a lot for, obviously. But I could see it happening.

#7 HighHeat

• smokes polls

• 3,930 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

I'd be shocked if replacing Mike Lowell was anywhere near the top of Theo's wish list.

Yes, his power numbers for June were unimpressive, but he still got on base at a very acceptable rate and continued to provide gold glove caliber defense at 3B. These guys go through peaks and valleys, and I think Lowell is closer to what we've seen so far this year than what he did last season. Lowell will be fine, they may just need to work out some more off days for him through the summer to keep him fresh.

I mean, Ortiz could play 1B once in a while without disastrous consequences, right? Tito will have even more options to mix and match once Pena comes off the DL.

One month of below par slugging is no reason to give up on Lowell after what we saw in April/May, especially when you factor his defensive play into the equation.

What this team needs is pitching, not to replace a perfectly adequate part.

#8 bosox79

• 1,842 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

Of course you could trade Mike Lowell for pitching and slide Youks to 3b, Pena to 1b.

#9 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,343 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

Of course you could trade Mike Lowell for pitching and slide Youks to 3b, Pena to 1b.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Mike Lowell's contract what team is going to give up quality pitching for him?

As good as he has been, what team is dying to get their hands on him?

Remember he was the contract we had to take to get Beckett; he wasn't the crown jewel of the deal. Everything he has done, I would suspect, has been above and beyond most people's projections.

Edited by Drocca, 05 July 2006 - 03:21 PM.

#10 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,374 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

One thing I could see is the Sox acquiring a lefty 1B with a plus bat, likely right at the deadline or into the waiver period in August.  This would be a hedge against an injury or slump to Lowell or Youk, and would allow for a significant PH off the bench from the left side (presumably WMP will be available from the right side).  Though, acquiring one likely would make it tough to keep Kapler, not a big problem for me but I suspect one for Tito.

Ben Broussard is a possibility, though I've never been a huge believer in his bat.  Hee Seop is theoretically exactly this, though he's been struggling a great deal.

It's not something I'd give up a lot for, obviously.  But I could see it happening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think a left handed bench player is a huge priority for the Red Sox. The line up as is kills Right Handed Pitching. Only Crisp and SeaBass have worse than 700 OPS against right handed pitchers. Wily Mo Pena was hitting RHP very well before he left (1000+ OPS) and can be used off the bench.

Starting pitching has to be this team's greatest concern. With Clement's set back and Wells being no where close to coming back, I think the Red Sox need to find some answer for the fifth starter. If anyone else got hurt, this team would be in serious trouble.

#11 sibpin

• 2,637 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

I doubt Neyer's comments very much... the Sox are not going to find a 1B who is so much better than Lowell that they're going to be willing to give up 1) prospects 2) cash 3) Lowell's defense in the field regularly.

If you are looking for an acquisition that could help team production, maybe:

Javy Lopez - whom the Orioles were trying to move to 1B before they brought in Millar/Conine. Could solve the Belliache, but wouldn't help out on defense. Also creates the potential for a "Javier Lopez-Javier Lopez" battery. 2006 is his last year on the contract. .274/.322/.426 RH

Ben Broussard - 30 years old, with the Indians going nowhere and a logjam at C-1B-DH (VMart, Garko, Shoppach, Casey Blake, Hafner), he could be a solution. But he's not a FA til 2008. I think Blake (currently DL'd) isn't a FA til 2008 either (he has a contract through 2006 with an option for 07, but service time is 3 years going into 06). They'd help resolve the logjam Cleveland has, but I'd bet Shapiro's aiming for the long haul. A deal for Broussard would probably require some strong prospects but would help the Sox in 07 and 08 as well. .327/.368/.516 LH

Minky - nah... could it be? He could be had on the cheap. .278/.361/.403 LH

Craig Wilson - big bidding process for him, FA after the year, Pittsburgh looking to deal him and/or Burnitz. .279/.360/.505 RH

Adam LaRoche - doubt Atlanta would give him up. LH

In the time it took me to compile all that I see a number of people have posted and I agree with the sentiment - I'd be very surprised to see any changes in the infield until September.

#12 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,552 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

I'd say this team needs a starter, and maybe a reliever. Jake Westbrook and Scott Williamson? First two that came to mind, really.

Benching Lowell would just be a bizarre move, from every possible perspective. He's hitting, he's playing excellent defense....and offense / defense is the team's strengths right now.

Addressing the real problems, pitching, seem to be the only needs from my view. A starter really is the priority, given the setbacks for Wells and Clement. Not sure what can happen there, though. Every contender needs a starter, but none of the also-rans have one (which is why they are also-rans).

#13 Talon

• sosh's adolfo gonzalez

• 2,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

The Red Sox are among a number of teams who have been rumored to have inquired about the status of Greg Maddux as we head towards the trade deadline.

Maddux is in the last year of his current contract with the Cubs and could be itching to head to a contender. Obstacle in this is Maddux & The Cubs have a handshake no-trade agreement, meaning Maddux would have to give his blessings to the Cubs before they trade him.

#14 sibpin

• 2,637 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Forgive me for not panicking, but I am going to not expect any moves from the FO this year.

Offense? It's fine and is going to get a boost when WMP comes back.
Defense? Even better.
Bullpen? Maybe we see a reliever to replace Seanez or Tavarez but I doubt it.

As for the rotation, you have six guys - Lester, Clement, Wells, DiNardo, Johnson, Snyder - who are supposed to be holding down two spots. Since Lester is the only one with any trade value right now, all of these guys will be sticking around until the end of the year. I think the Sox believe that while there's always possibility for improvement, the staff as it stands right now has enough potential for improvements (recovering from injury or suckitude) in-house. It helps a lot that the Sox' performance to date has been competitive and given them a 4 game lead - it could be a different situation on July 31 if this team doesn't have such a lead.

Anyone with a half-decent starter available right now is going to ask the world for that starter, and it won't be a ridiculous offer because a number of teams need starters. I don't want to see this team offer any players for the Victor Zambrano types. They've been lucky to get Johnson and Snyder on the cheap. I think they'll take advantage of that and try to squeeze as much as they can out of those two guys. I think a decent "warm body" capable of 5-6 innings, 3-4 runs is sufficient for this team to make the playoffs.

Maddux does not want to pitch in the AL East.

#15 redinchicago

• 3,873 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

I really don't see much major impact pitching available. For the price. What did I read, the Angels wanted Lastings Milledge for Jeff Weaver? That had to be a joke.

People like Kip Wells and Roberto Hernandez are likely somewhat cheaper. Damaso Marte has too long of a contract. Oliver Perez is in AAA. Not sure what help he will be in 2006.

#16 Noah

• 3,168 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

I really can't see Theo making a big move for a 1B as Lowell insurance. If they sense that Lowell is getting worn down, they can just give Wily Mo some PT every few days at 1B. We were worried about getting him enough ABs anyway, so that would work out great as long as his defense isn't too bad.

I don't see a huge deal for a starter either, first of all because there really isn't anyone good available, and second of all, any addition would probably be the fourth starter in the playoffs at best anyway (depending on how much faith you have in Beckett), and that's hardly worth giving up any young talent for.

Tough to imagine any big deals going down. But maybe the FO will surprise us like they always do and nab Tejada or something like that.

#17 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,343 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ok, so (most)everyone agrees that 3B/1B is not the top priority for the Red Sox. Before we all come in here and sign our names in the thread with the exact same opinions let's discuss what the F.O. will be looking for, if anything.

My thoughts are nothing major. Maybe a couple more low-risk/medium-reward moves in the Johnson/Snyder vein but barring injury I see no reason to give up top prospects(which everyone acknowledges will be the price) for a fifth starter.

But maybe the FO will surprise us like they always do and nab Tejada or something like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When has this F.O. gone out mid-season and traded for a superstar? That would be quite the surprise.

#18 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,133 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

Tough to imagine any big deals going down. But maybe the FO will surprise us like they always do and nab Tejada or something like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem with Tejada is that he can't play SS anymore. Baltimore is now playing him at DH. That's not an option in Boston.

#19 Quintanariffic

• 4,419 posts

When has this F.O. gone out mid-season and traded for a superstar? That would be quite the surprise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it depends on your definition of a superstar. Cliff Floyd was a pretty big name player. O-Cab sort of fits the bill - at least there was a superstar player in the trade.

#20 Quintanariffic

• 4,419 posts

The problem with Tejada is that he can't play SS anymore.  Baltimore is now playing him at DH.  That's not an option in Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa - really? I hadn't heard about this. Since when?

#21 Buck Showalter

• SoSH Member

• 5,018 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

Pitching should be the top priority.

I'd give up top-talent (close to major league ready) for John Smoltz.

I'd also give up talent (High-A or AA-Level) for a starter like Jake Westbrook or a reliever like Rheal Cormier.

#22 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,602 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

Whoa - really? I hadn't heard about this. Since when?

I think Skins is overstating it somewhat. Tejada DH'ed yesterday, reportedly at his own request. I think the Orioles plan on trying that more often.

The other issue is that Tejada's SS defense is quickly falling to unacceptable levels.

But then again, Tejada's not going anywhere in the division, so any thoughts of him coming to Boston are far-fetched, at best.

#23 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

http://sports.espn.g...ontext=fielding

before DH-ing yesterday, Tejada had played in 75 games this season ... all at SS

Edited by E5 Yaz, 05 July 2006 - 04:48 PM.

#24 satyadaimoku

• wicked gunner

• PipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:52 PM

I seriously doubt there is anything to this rumor, but it might be worth considering. No disrespect to Lowell, who has done a tremendous job so far this year. But we do have offensive depth right now. If Pena could play an acceptable first base, putting him there and moving Youklis to third might be a lateral move, with Pena's greater offense perhaps making up for the defensive decline in both positions. In that case, if you can get offered a quality starting pitcher for Lowell (doubtful) then you have to at least consider it. As good as Lowell's defense is, if his bat goes kaput then he is once again a salary albatross. A move which frees significant payroll and helps the pitching staff while arguably not affecting the starting lineup too much would be worth considering.

#25 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,133 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

Both stat people and scouts agree that Tejada can no longer play adequate ML level SS. By all statistical measures I have seen, he is the worst SS in baseball by far. Kurkjian just wrote in ESPN magazine that scouts were saying that he could not longer play shortstop. Jim Palmer was on DC radio a week or two ago saying how a scout told him he couldn't beleive that Tejada could hardly bend over to get to a ball.

He'll play the SS position because Baltimore really has no option, but he won't be playing anything resembling an adequate SS.

The Sox will not go from the based defensive SS in the league to the worst.

#26 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,873 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

I will throw this out, depite all the long range thinking is this not a time to go for it?

Ortiz and Manny really the backbone of the team are at (or as a tandem on the downside) their peak

The Most reliable statrers (Wake and Schill) are old

The young core players (Coco, Youks,Beckett, Papelbon) are performing at high level and improvement in the future is not a guarantee, this may be a s good as they get

Other youth (Lester, Delcarman) are already in the bigs contributing

Throw in the fact the Yanks are down with some unforeseen troubles, will build a new park and throw money at all their holes and be very good every year

Likely the division must be won to go on to the post season

#27 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,374 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

I really don't see much major impact pitching available.† For the price.† What did I read, the Angels wanted Lastings Milledge for Jeff Weaver?† That had to be a joke.

People like Kip Wells and Roberto Hernandez are likely somewhat cheaper.† Damaso Marte has too long of a contract.† Oliver Perez is in AAA.† Not sure what help he will be in 2006.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is because it is July 5th. You start off asking the world for your mediocre talent. Why not? Maybe someone will accept. It doesn't matter to the teams that are selling whether the trade happens today or July 31st. They are trading for the future. The asking price will go down as the month goes on because a ) teams will fall further out of the playoff picture, b ) more teams will fall off, and c ) pressure to actually make the trade and not waste good talent.

It is still far too early to really start seeing the trade picture. I am sure some teams are discussing whether to be buyers and sellers but the people already determined to be sellers don't have any real talent anyway (Kansas City and its "all star" Redman). I am sure over the break, teams will sit down and start realistically looking at that their chances. More plausible trade rumors will follow.

Edit - didn't want the Smiley.

Edited by TomRicardo, 05 July 2006 - 05:08 PM.

#28 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,602 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

Alright, so if we're going to have a Trade Deadline 2006 thread, then it makes sense to find out which teams are gonna be buying and selling and what's available, no?

Right then, let's get started.

So far, we have five teams that will be actively shopping off players this deadline, IMO:
Kansas City
Washington
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Chicago Cubs

With these teams likely to join them by July 31:
Baltimore
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
And perhaps LA (AL)

For now, let's concentrate on the five definites.

First up, KC. In terms of moveable/impact players, they have the following:
All-Star Mark Redman
Scott Elarton
Elmer Dessens
Tony Graffanino/Mark Grudzielanek
Doug Mientkiewicz
Reggie Sanders
Matt Stairs

Nothing particularly exciting there. Sanders is the biggest name, but would be redundant with Wily Mo already here. Redman's the top pitcher, but he's currently sporting a 5.59 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP.

Next: Washington
Livan Hernandez
Jose Vidro
Jose Guillen
And the big one...Alfonso Soriano

The first three listed are in various stages of breaking down. Hernandez has pretty much been reduced to a junkball pitcher at this point. Vidro would benefit from moving to the AL and DH'ing. Guillen's probably not going anywhere, though Jim Bowden would love to actually get something of value for him. That leaves Soriano. His power is the best available on the market, and he has speed to boot. But he's a free agent next year, lousy in the OF, and still a hacking machine with little to no patience. And there's a chance the AL has him figured out. And he'll cost an arm and a leg. But then again, Soriano fills a need the Sox don't have. So let's move on.

Third on the list: Atlanta
John Smoltz
John Thomson

Chris Reitsma would have been on this list too, but he's out for the rest of the year with elbow surgery. Truth is, the Braves don't have too many players that they can move. But they do have the biggest impact arm on the market - Smoltz. The cost will be heavy, but he could easily take an already solid top of the rotation and make it the best in the league. Thomson would be a nice pickup as a back of the rotation guy, but he's shown a propensity for injuries this season and last. Stay away.

Fourth up: Chicago
Ryan Dempster
Greg Maddux
Glendon Rusch
Phil Nevin
Todd Walker

The Cubs would probably pay you to take Dempster off their hands right now. Maddux probably isn't going anywhere, but he's worth listing. Well, he would be worth it if it weren't guaranteed that he'd put up an ERA at around 5.00 in the AL. Rusch and Nevin are trash, and Walker ain't coming for a 2nd go around. Other bullpen names like Bob Howry or Scott Williamson could come up as well.

And last, and probably least, Pittsburgh:
Roberto Hernadez
Damaso Marte
Joe Randa
Craig Wilson
Jeromy Burnitz
Sean Casey

Expect a major firesale in the Steel City this July, akin to the one that happened in Cincy three years ago. Wilson would be a solid pickup for a team in need of a LH 1B/DH/OF type. Randa and Burnitz would be good pickups for a morgue. Marte will probably get a lot of attention from teams needing another bullpen arm.

So in terms of what the Sox need (#4-5 starter, LH bat off bench, bullpen arm), the list isn't particularly long. The starting market is thin as of the moment and doesn't look to get too much deeper. There do seem to be a good amount of relievers available, as well as utility/bench players. But the prices will likely be high no matter what you're looking for.

#29 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

What is Jason Schmidt worth to the Sox?

SF is 2 games over .500 but can't seriously entertain any thoughts of making it past the first round should they somehow make the playoffs.

They're starting Ray Durham at 2b, Omar Vizquel at SS, Barry, Finley and Alou (curr on 15 day DL) in the outfield. Those 5 players average 39+ years old. If a team ever needed to rebuild it's that one.

IMO Schmidt & Alou are their most valuable trading chips with Schmidt being the one who interests me. He has made 29, 29, 32 & 29 starts for the last 4 seasons.

If we could have a window to extend him would he be worth a deal featuring Pedroia, Hansen or both?

#30 Buck Showalter

• SoSH Member

• 5,018 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

SF is 2 games over .500 but can't seriously entertain any thoughts of making it past the first round should they somehow make the playoffs.

They're starting Ray Durham at 2b, Omar Vizquel at SS, Barry, Finley and Alou (curr on 15 day DL) in the outfield. Those 5 players average 39+ years old. If a team ever needed to rebuild it's that one.

The Giants are in first place!

And as for 5 players averaging 39+.....for a team in first place with that group - they'd be "least" apt to sell at the trading deadline since their time is now.

Schmidt ain't going anywhere.

#31 BS_SoxFan

• 1,969 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of a superstar.  Cliff Floyd was a pretty big name player

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't Cliff Floyd a Mike Port acquisition? There really is no track record, outside of OCab, of this FO going out and trading for a Tejada-level superstar

Edited by BS_SoxFan, 05 July 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#32 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

This management team has been in place, what, four trade deadlines? And in one of those they dealt Nomar Garciaparra. And in another they were willing to deal Manny at the deadine last year, according to many, many reports, if they got the right package.

Plus, they are most certainly willing to do a big trade....the Nomar deal was a big trade, the Schilling deal was a big trade, the Crisp deal to a lesser extent, and then the ARod/Manny deal is as big as a deal can be. So I don't think there's any reason to think there's a philosophical unwillingness to make a big deal, or a big in-season deal.

What I do question is if there's a big deal out there that value-wise makes sense for them. I don't see a rental who makes sense, and while it's tougher to tell what cost-controlled player might be available for prospects I haven't seen many reports of interesting ones.

Thus, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's incremental moves---a better LH reliever (Marte?), a LH 1B for the bench, or something of that ilk.

#33 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,552 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have to think Philly is a seller, aren't they? If so, would they ever consider moving Ryan Madson? My guess is no, but he's struggled a bit and maybe they've grown weary of him. I would probably have some interest in Cory Lidle and Tom Gordon, too. Gordon gets killed by Papi, but he'd be a great bullpen arm to have down the stretch and you could sell him on it by letting him close next year (and shifting Paps to the rotation).

I'm really worried about the rotation right now. Lester seems to be flirting with disaster the last few outings, and I don't want to expect too much from him...and then there's the huge hole in the #5 spot. I used to be a Jason Johnson fan, but I've seen absolutely nothing to be encouraged about to this point.

I guess you go back to Kyle Snyder. Not a lot of great options right now.

#34 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

[i][b]The Giants are in first place!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buck, they actually started the day in 4th place albeit only 1 game out. My point is that with the advanced age of 5 of their position players and the fact that Schmidt is in the last year of a contract, they might be better off beginning the rebuilding process now. Perhaps not. :P

#35 jtn46

• SoSH Member

• 6,880 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

I have to think Philly is a seller, aren't they? If so, would they ever consider moving Ryan Madson? My guess is no, but he's struggled a bit and maybe they've grown weary of him. I would probably have some interest in Cory Lidle and Tom Gordon, too. Gordon gets killed by Papi, but he'd be a great bullpen arm to have down the stretch and you could sell him on it by letting him close next year (and shifting Paps to the rotation).

I'm really worried about the rotation right now. Lester seems to be flirting with disaster the last few outings, and I don't want to expect too much from him...and then there's the huge hole in the #5 spot. I used to be a Jason Johnson fan, but I've seen absolutely nothing to be encouraged about to this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the very least, Lieber would seem like an easy guy to get as well.

#36 Paul M

• SoSH Member

• 10,381 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

I don't think the Red Sox would be willing to trade the kinds of prospects necessary to deliver an impact acquisition. I see it playing it out just like last year where it doesn't make sense to surrender what it would take. Moreover, Lester and Hansen are contributing now so we'd lose something off the current roster. None of our other prospects have enough present value to get a Schmidt, Smoltz, or Willis, since I think they won't move Pedroia or Ellsbury.

At the same time, even a small move for a #5 is something we need to think about, as the Johnson era might be short-lived. Plus, they need someone to back-up Lester, though I think he's doing fine as a 22-year old rookie.

#37 Georgia_soxfan

• 118 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

You can take Smoltz and probably Atlanta off that list

Schuerholz clearly has the mind-set of a buyer, not a seller, as the trade deadline approaches. He has no interest in trading off his best, most experienced players, and abandoning a season that is just barely halfway over. That includes ace John Smoltz, who recently acknowledged, when asked, that he would entertain the thought of being traded if the deal could make the Braves better.

"John doesn't want to leave the Braves, I know that, I just negotiated a contract with him last winter,'' Schuerholz said. "That's not on our radar screen. That is not a possibility for us.''

http://sports.espn.g..._tim&id=2508492

#38 Grubbery

• 2,880 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Philly is a 'tweener right now. From a baseball perspective, they look cooked, but at the same time, they're a good week of winning from being in the thick of the NL WC. There's pressure in Philadelphia to get this team to the playoffs, this year, and any premature signs of tanking will be met brutally at the ticket office.

If they decide to pull the plug before the end of July, they'll fire Charlie, but they may not do much more than that, except dump any pricey final year guys as rent-a-players and look toward pulling a resurgance next year with better managing (a la Detroit this year).

Speaking of the Tigers, it will be interesting to see what team manages to plunder some of Detroit's better prospects and younger players. Word from Ilitch and Dombrowski is that what Leyland wants, he'll get to make a run THIS year. It has the makings to be a mini-version of what Cleveland did to a desperate Minaya back in 2002 (reportedly if you say the word "Shapiro" near Omar, to this day he curls up under his desk in a fetal position and sings "Head Like a Hole" in Spanish).

Edited by Grubbery, 05 July 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#39 HighHeat

• smokes polls

• 3,930 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

I am awestruck at how many on this board would seriously consider moving around Lowell and Youkilis at this stage.

The 2006 Boston Red Sox have one of, if not the best, defensive infields in all of baseball. Every one of them, including the oft-maligned Alex Gonzalez is contributing offensively.

Why in the hell would the Sox want to change that? And some of you are calling for Wily Mo at 1B? He has played ZERO games there at the ML level. ZERO. I happen to think that he would be a disaster at 1B, at least without a full offseason to work on such a move.

Getting Wily Mo back does provide Tito with some flexibility, however. Once a week maybe Wily Mo could play LF, Manny could DH, Ortiz could fill in at first and Youk could man 3B. This would give Lowell a breather and give Manny a day off without taking his bat out of the lineup. This may be too creative but I think it makes more sense than giving everybody the same day off and starting the JV which we seen them do on a number of occasions.

Pitching is what this team needs, but I'm in the camp that doesn't expect a major acquisition due to the cost being prohibitive.

#40 yazsui

• Pip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

I may be going overboard, but I would not trade a top 10 prospy for anything the NL is going to offer including Schmidt, Maddux or Smoltz (unless the trade balance sways heavily towards the AL) or the NL guy is closetoa canít miss (Willis, Clemens - go ahead and argue). I mean, the NL acquisitions lately, especially from a pitching perspective seem to have not been worth a crap and watching guys like Lowe, Arroyo and some others look like cy young, I would bet the NL position players need a severe under-valuing.

Unless the deal is amazing or we can swing someone from the AL or an NL superstar, Iíd stick with the young-ins, sink or swim. IMHO

#41 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,759 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I give SF about 1 chance in 3 of making it past the first round if they make the playoffs. That's at the low end I suspect. They may think their odds are better than that still.

You think they're really going to sell?

#42 The Hot Corner

• 221 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Pitching should be the top priority.

I'd give up top-talent (close to major league ready) for John Smoltz.

I'd also give up talent (High-A or AA-Level) for a starter like Jake Westbrook or a reliever like Rheal Cormier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree in full. There's no reason, IMO, to try and repair the offense when it's not the part most in need of fixing. I personally wouldn't be too interested in Smoltz if only because he would command too high a price and likely be useful to the Sox for too short a period of time. (What I learned today: In 2003, Smoltz's ERA+ was 375... that's insane.) I would certainly be interested in Jake Westbrook, as I don't believe he's anywhere near as bad as people have said. Just a poor start, really. I can't imagine the Indians would be too tickled to get rid of him, though. He's still very young, with a good chunk of talent, and if nothing else is an innings eater with 200+ IP in the last 2 seasons. That kind of commodity (basically, league average to slightly above-average) is expensive.

If the reports were true, and the Sox had to vie with other teams for Jason Johnson from Cleveland, imagine what the interest would be in a player like Westbrook.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree. He appears to be doing well in Pawtucket so far, maybe it would be worth bringing him up.

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
1 0 2.03 2 2 0 0 0 13.1 16 3 3 0 2 5

He's allowed a few too many hits for my taste, but only 2 walks and 3 ER. It's got to be better thank Johnson.

#43 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

You think they're really going to sell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. I was talking with a Giants fan the other day and he was bemoaning the age of the team. They probably won't sell unless they lose 10 of 15 leading in to 7/31. Regardless it won't be pretty in San Fran next year.

My concern with the current Sox staff is how they are potentially set up for the playoffs. I think the offense and defense will be very competitive but I'd like one more solid arm. I'm concerned about how Lester will respond to all of the innings. If he is a solid 3-4 starter we should be OK but another stud (definitely debatable on who in the NL is one) would make me feel a lot better for a potential (much anticipated) Chisox matchup.

#44 Hairps

• 1,738 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

FoxSports' Ken Rosenthal suggests the Diamondbacks could make Miguel Batista available.

Given the FO's connection to Byrnes and The Remarkable Peter Woodfork (just ribbing you, Gammo, get better soon!), there's at least some reason to believe any negotiation wouldn't be held hostage over ridiculous demands.

He's making $4.75m in the final year of his contract. He's been pretty bad this season compared to his last three years, but a quick look (these numbers are a few days old) seems to indicate that has largely been a factor of lefties showing much more success against him this year (.989 OPS against this season vs. .745 OPS against from 2003-2005). Is this the type of thing that can be fixed or can work itself out? I honestly don't know. In addition, he seems to be back to inducing a bunch of groundballs (1.92 G/F ratio this year).

I wouldn't think he'd cost a whole lot in prospects. And even if he only established himself in long relief it might be worth it.

#45 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

I don't think we are really going to see either of the Western division's teams selling off players, if anything they will be buyers at the deadline because all of the teams are still in serious contention for their division crowns.

Tampa, Baltimore, Cleveland, KC, Fla, Atlanta, D.C., Cubs, and Pittsburg should be sellers at the deadline. The problem is that Tampa, Fla and KC don't really have anything, particularly pitching to trade. Baltimore probably won't want to trade within the division. So that leaves, Cleveland, Atlanta, DC, Cubs and Pitt to try to find a SP from.

#46 redinchicago

• 3,873 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

I really don't see the Indians trading away Jake Westbrook. Broussard, yes. Since Victor Martinez will probably be moved. He has the slowest release to 2nd base.

Westbrook will cost around 6 mil. next year, his final year of the contract and the Indians could really use him to eat innings next year if they want to contend.

#47 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,161 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Not to suggest that there was a lot of clamoring around here for Livan Hernandez... but the Marlins just torched him and sent him suling to the showers early today, which should scare off Theo sufficiently. Hopefully the MFYs pick him up anyway.

#48 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

Guardado traded to the Reds for a minor leaguer. No link yet.

#49 normstalls

• 1,988 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

Guardado traded to the Reds for a minor leaguer.  No link yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

here's a link

Mariners acquire right-handed pitcher Travis Chick in exchange for left-handed pitcher Eddie Guardado

#50 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

Rotoworld reports it's Travis Chick going from the Reds to the Mariners in the Guardado deal, a more or less failed pitching prospect.

Query whether Everyday Eddie is a better LHP at this point than Javier Lopez....