Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Red Sox "all in" on Bedard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
121 replies to this topic

#1 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 8276 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

The Mariners had two scouts watching the Red Sox's Triple A affiliate on Wednesday night and one watching the Sox's Double A club, according to major-league sources.

The extent of trade discussions between the teams is not known, but several Mariners pitchers are drawing significant interest from multiple clubs and right-hander Doug Fister, in particular, is a target of virtually every team seeking rotation help, sources said.

However, the Sox's primary focus could be left-hander Erik Bedard, who has not pitched since June 27 due to a strained left knee but will come off the disabled list Friday night against the Rays. The Sox are "all over" Bedard, one source said, and both the Sox and Yankees are expected to scout Bedard Friday night.

Mariners closer Brandon League would be another possibility, though the Red Sox are loathe to give up prospects for relievers after their experience with Eric Gagne in 2007. Mariners president Chuck Armstrong told FOXSports.com earlier this week that it's unlikely League will be traded.

http://mlbbuzz.yardb...4?new_post=true

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

This has something like Anderson and Federowicz written all over it.

#3 Toe Nash

• 2743 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I like the idea of Bedard. He had a 1.77 ERA in his last 11 starts before the sprained knee, with 68 K and 15 BB. I think it's safe to disregard the first 4 starts somewhat given he had missed a year and a half.

Looks like a good rental, Bedard gets a pennant race with a contender to show he's healthy, Sox get a guy you're happy putting in the #3 spot if Buchholz can't go (and a pretty excellent #4 option if he can).

#4 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6482 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yeah this a perfect choice...huge upside...he's really a #1 when healthy, but other teams might be gun shy because of the health issues to give up real chips. He's a risk the Sox can afford to take.

#5 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 7750 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'd like the idea of Bedard a lot more if I didn't view a starter acquisition as Buchholz Injury Insurance.

This is sort of like buying a broken umbrella on a rainy day and hoping that you're able to fix it.

Yes, the Sox aren't stupid and if they trade for Bedard, odds are very high that he's either fixed or fixable. At the same time, Bedard is often in need of fixing.

#6 Rudy Pemberton

• just plum doesn't understand

• 27056 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Bedard is interesting; he's almost always hurt, but that should likely drive his cost down. There's been questions about his motivation in the past, but not really relevant on a short term deal. But, when he pitches...he's almost always good. He could certainly start game 3 or 4 of a playoff series. Since the Sox are very likely to make the playoffs no matter what, this is the kind of guy you need.

#7 JMDurron

• 4147 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm not a fan of this idea. It's replacing a broken umbrella with a recently and frequently broken umbrella.

I think it's very easy to focus on just how effective Bedard has been while pitching and ignore the horrifying scale of his inability to pitch very often.

Since 2007, between Baltimore and Seattle, Bedard has an ERA+ of 136, a 1.156 WHIP, and a 9.7 K/9.

Here's how his IP break down over those 5 years.

2007 - 182.0
2008 - 81.0
2009 - 83.0
2010 - Broken
2011 - 90.0 (so far)

At best, he's the Jed Lowrie of pitchers, even if the injuries aren't even remotely related to each other. He makes no sense to me as a "mitigate injury/recovery risk in the rotation" option.

Edited by JMDurron, 28 July 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#8 nazz45

• 2459 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

It's pretty crazy that Bedard (presumably) will go over the 100 innings pitched mark in a season for the first time since 2007.

When healthy, he's always been effective. He's top 10 in SIERA and xFIP this season among AL pitchers with at least 80 innings pitched, right behind his teammate, King Felix.

He doesn't quite have the same velocity as he did and is using a different circle-change grip that Hernandez taught him early in the season, which Bedard cited for his turn around post-April.

Edited by nazz45, 28 July 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#9 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 3958 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Weren't there rumors that Bedard was a clubhouse cancer back when he was going to be a free agent? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

#10 TheYaz67

• 3283 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

He has an injury history that puts even Lowrie to shame. Has never been able to stay healthy (3 shoulder surgeries is generally not what you want to see for a pitcher), so I don't like that aspect of it, since we have so many guys already with injury question marks.

He also does not have a great rep as a max effort guy/good teammate. He was a young, cost controlled starter (and Baltimore's best pitcher at the time) and was sent packing, so you have to wonder (Baltimore made out pretty good on the haul they got for him). I guess he has pitched well this year, but all kinds of warning flags to me...

#11 Toe Nash

• 2743 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'd like the idea of Bedard a lot more if I didn't view a starter acquisition as Buchholz Injury Insurance.

This is sort of like buying a broken umbrella on a rainy day and hoping that you're able to fix it.

Yes, the Sox aren't stupid and if they trade for Bedard, odds are very high that he's either fixed or fixable. At the same time, Bedard is often in need of fixing.

I don't think it's solely injury insurance. Our other candidates for 4th starter IF Clay is healthy are Lackey, Wakefield, or Miller...not exactly reliable. And yeah a 4th starter probably only pitches once in a 7-game series, but it's still pretty important.

The way I see it, acquiring Bedard gives us Beckett / Lester (with maybe a 90% chance both are effective), and then Buchholz / Bedard (with a pretty good chance at least one is healthy and effective). Not making an acquisition gives us maybe a 30-50% chance that Lackey is starting game 3. Given the likely low acquisition cost of Bedard I say you do it and try not to waste a historically good offense.

#12 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6809 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Bedard is interesting; he's almost always hurt, but that should likely drive his cost down. There's been questions about his motivation in the past, but not really relevant on a short term deal. But, when he pitches...he's almost always good. He could certainly start game 3 or 4 of a playoff series. Since the Sox are very likely to make the playoffs no matter what, this is the kind of guy you need.

My thought when this was initially broached earlier in the week was that Theo could throw a bunch of the guys they'd probably lose in the off-season roster crunch at the M's. Since no one will likely really trust Bedard's health, the Sox can use this as a way to get something for a bunch of guys they'd likely lose anyway. The M's will get quantity over quality, but they might like someone better than Theo so it becomes a win for both sides...

#13 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7487 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

Anyone you're looking to acquire is going to have a downside. Yes he's often hurt, but that's the reason we can get someone of his caliber for cheap. Its two months plus the playoffs in a contract year for him. I think if you're going to target any of the available names, it should be him.

#14 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14170 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Better to gamble cheap on a high ceiling guy than make the safe bet on mediocrity I suppose. However, any deal and the expectations of the acquired player have to hinge on Buchholz returning. If he's out for the season then I think they need a more dependable pitcher.

Bedard is always hurt. Him avoiding the DL for the remainder of the season would be a surprise.

That said, you can't deny his level of performance when healthy. Plus you have to imagine the cost will be reasonable.

#15 Rudy Pemberton

• just plum doesn't understand

• 27056 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Exactly; a pitcher of his caliber who isn't always hurt just simply isn't available. The cost on someone healthy and good is going to be prohibitive, and with the Sox contractual obligations going forward you don't even really want anyone signed past this season. To get someone who isn't that good doesn't make sense; they won't start a playoff game or they aren't better than the depth the Sox already have. Bedard makes sense, even if there's a good chance that he's worthless.

#16 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13293 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Weren't there rumors that Bedard was a clubhouse cancer back when he was going to be a free agent? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Rob Dibble said he was a quitter, lazy, "Doesn't get it" etc.

#17 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3034 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yes. Fwiw I heard Tony Mazz talk about too. Said his teammates couldn't stand him and was very divisive. Who knows how true it is but you're correct that it's been mentioned in the press.

#18 5dice

• 342 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Albert Haynesworth?

#19 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 18379 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

I'm not so worried about his injury history. He's a rental, specifically a rental for the playoffs. The Red Sox will likely be able to ease up down the stretch and rest him to make sure he's healthy... or at least, be as reasonably sure as they can be that he'll be healthy. This team is very likely going to the playoffs with or without another starter. So there's no reason to do anything with Bedard other than keep him loose and healthy until October, then let him loose on the competition. I doubt they have any desire to keep him long term, so I don't really see the downside to a move like this, especially if the cost isn't too high.

I'm iffy on guys like Kuroda or Jimenez, simply because the acquisition cost is going to be so high. Bedard, as mentioned above, probably won't cost several of our top ten prospects. Low risk, high reward. Exactly the kind of move a team like this should be making.

#20 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4606 posts

I believe it's a knee injury this year, opposed to the arm/shoulder of years past. It's still an injury, but at least it's the knee.

#21 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 7750 posts

Exactly; a pitcher of his caliber who isn't always hurt just simply isn't available. The cost on someone healthy and good is going to be prohibitive, and with the Sox contractual obligations going forward you don't even really want anyone signed past this season. To get someone who isn't that good doesn't make sense; they won't start a playoff game or they aren't better than the depth the Sox already have. Bedard makes sense, even if there's a good chance that he's worthless.

How can you be that definitive when you don't know what the respective teams are asking for, and will be asking for as the deadline nears, for Kuroda, Jiminez and other potential options? I don't buy that every available pitcher will be prohibitively expensive, as injury prone as Bedard or someone with a burdensome contract. And if I'm wrong, I agree that Bedard is the right guy to get.

As to whether whoever they acquire should be viewed as Buchholz insurance, I'm much more focused on who their 3rd starter will be in the playoffs than the uncertainty around their 4th starter. The 4th starter may not get a turn in every round and the 3rd starter is critical to every round.* If Buck comes back, fantastic, but getting another starter to fill the 3-hole in case he doesn't return is much more important than upgrading the 4th position. In fairness, though, I probably wouldn't be as sanguine about the 4th starter role if Lackey had gotten lit up last night.

* Though will fewer days off this year, that argument may carry less weight than I'm suggesting.

#22 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3092 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

I'm not a fan of this idea. It's replacing a broken umbrella with a recently and frequently broken umbrella.

I think it's very easy to focus on just how effective Bedard has been while pitching and ignore the horrifying scale of his inability to pitch very often.

Since 2007, between Baltimore and Seattle, Bedard has an ERA+ of 136, a 1.156 WHIP, and a 9.7 K/9.

Here's how his IP break down over those 5 years.

2007 - 182.0
2008 - 81.0
2009 - 83.0
2010 - Broken
2011 - 90.0 (so far)

At best, he's the Jed Lowrie of pitchers, even if the injuries aren't even remotely related to each other. He makes no sense to me as a "mitigate injury/recovery risk in the rotation" option.

I'm a fan of this idea, based alone on the question of, "Who would you rather have TODAY - Lackey or Bedard?"

Year Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2011 32 SEA AL 4 6 .400 3.00 15 15 0 0 0 0 90.0 74 36 30 11 26 0 85 1 0 5 362 123 1.111 7.4 1.1 2.6 8.5 3.27
2011 32 BOS AL 9 8 .529 6.20 17 17 0 0 0 0 97.1 123 69 67 13 30 1 66 12 0 6 451 66 1.572 11.4 1.2 2.8 6.1 2.20

As long as we are not giving up a lions share, this is a no brainer.

#23 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2540 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

I had read a number of quotes from scouts and execs a few years back that Bedard is an absolute head case. One quote had him considering a start to be successful and COMPLETED if he got thru either five innings or 100 pitches: if he hit either mark, he considered himself done for the night and would just shut it down. That alone soured me on him for good. I don't see how he could survive from the neck up in Boston.

BTW, this is not one of the quotes I'm referring to: http://www.camdencha...going-only-five

#24 Joshv02

• 1380 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yes. Fwiw I heard Tony Mazz talk about too. Said his teammates couldn't stand him and was very divisive. Who knows how true it is but you're correct that it's been mentioned in the press.

Millar (on Tuesday) said the opposite: his teammates liked him, but the press hated him b/c he was shy and didn't like to talk to them. He basically said he really like him as a teammate in Baltimore, though he wasn't outspoken or much of a leader (and shied away from that).

OTOH, Millar also talked about how Ellsbury isn't cut out for Boston. Large grains of salt are necessary.

#25 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 10396 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

One quote had him considering a start to be successful and COMPLETED if he got thru either five innings or 100 pitches: if he hit either mark, he considered himself done for the night and would just shut it down.

Some of Bedard's career OPS-allowed splits:

Innings 1-3: .677
Innings 4-6: .698
Innings 7-9: .623

Pitch 1-25: .712
Pitch 26-50: .630
Pitch 51-75: .696
Pitch 76-100: .695
Pitch 101+: .666

Looks like Bedard is at his best after he shuts it down.

Really, though, that sounds to me like the kind of thing an athlete would say to pull a writer's chain.

#26 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2540 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Really, though, that sounds to me like the kind of thing an athlete would say to pull a writer's chain.

It wasn't from Bedard, it was from an exec or a scout. I recall reading it in the print version of a national mag (SN, maybe ESPNtheMag, whatever my 9 y/o was reading in the loo).

It was quite damning in context. Made me think of Derrick Coleman, who had a similar quote about having a good game so long as he got 20 and 10, whether his team won or lost.

#27 Bdanahy14

• 1800 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

But for a low risk, short rental - isn't it worth trying to get a healthy 3 months from a Jed Lowrie of pitchers? To me, that is exactly the kind of move you want to make at this point.

I'm trying to look at Seattle's system and see where they have holes... just not sure what we need to give up.

#28 Trlicek's Whip

• 2814 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Bedard's injury report is Mr. Glass on paper, but he's no Rich Harden:
1) this year's DL stint was for a knee sprain,
2) based on his 2011 numbers he seems to have recovered from 2009 torn labrum/enflamed bursa and shoulder surgery in August 2010
3) his rate stats pre-labrum to post-labrum(K/9 BB/9) are consistently elite when he does pitch.

He's also a lefty. I'd rather his return to the AL East is in a Sox uniform and not pinstripes, which would be a win + win.

Given the MFY's Faustian free agent signings this year I'm paranoid that if they swoop in and get Bedard that Colon HGH and Garcia pixie dust would rub off onto his left arm and he'd be their 2nd best starter immediately.

#29 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10990 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

I love it, risk and all.

Theo learns his lessons. Jeff Suppan cost them Freddy Sanchez and proved to be a downgrade to the in-house option, Bronson Arroyo. Bedard when healthy is probably the best available pitcher, period, and is the one potential rental who if healthy is guaranteed to be better than Kyle Weiland.

There is a significant chance that they give away two solid major leaguers for nothing. But there is also a real chance that Bedard -- whether as Buchholz's replacement as #3, or Lackey's as #4 -- means the difference between winning the WS and not. (Another lesson hopefully learned -- it's almost impossible for a setup reliever to make that difference, cough, Eric Gagne.)

Edited by Eric Van, 28 July 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#30 Buzzkill Pauley

• 4944 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

I had read a number of quotes from scouts and execs a few years back that Bedard is an absolute head case. One quote had him considering a start to be successful and COMPLETED if he got thru either five innings or 100 pitches: if he hit either mark, he considered himself done for the night and would just shut it down. That alone soured me on him for good. I don't see how he could survive from the neck up in Boston.

BTW, this is not one of the quotes I'm referring to: http://www.camdencha...going-only-five

In context, that means over his career he's averaged 2 ER per 5 IP (lifetime 3.64 ERA).

Backed by the Sox offense, I would gladly take that kind of performance in any playoff game against any opponent.

#31 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 3958 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses on Bedard's quotes. Glad I wasn't dreaming. If the price is right, I still hope they grab him.

#32 Trlicek's Whip

• 2814 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

One quote had him considering a start to be successful and COMPLETED if he got thru either five innings or 100 pitches: if he hit either mark, he considered himself done for the night and would just shut it down. That alone soured me on him for good. I don't see how he could survive from the neck up in Boston.

As for 5-inning outings, Bedard's got 6 out of 15 starts in 2011 of 5.0 IP or less. Four of those starts came in April - his first four starts of the season - after returning from 20 months of surgery and rehab.

To compare, Jon Lester has 1 start out of 19 that's 5.0 IP or less. But he has 4 other starts where he only went 5.1 or 5.2 IP.

For the purposes of this discussion, and with all due respect to Bill Bavasi or whomever is on record as saying the above, 5IP is as arbitrary a stat as RBI or Wins. Anecdotal musings on "makeup" and "intangibles" in Bedard's case is pure horseshit that's fitting a predetermined narrative.

I think that we as a fanbase should be well familiar with this narrative:

He's not a great interview. He gives that little smile when asked a question he doesn't like. There is a belief that he doesn't care. Of course, his inability to stay on the field has added to that. When he does pitch, you see so much potential. There's a solid pitcher in there and it drives us nuts when starts are pushed back, an entire season is lost and he goes under the knife. Again.

If Bedard's being made out by the media and/or revisionist history to be the pitcher's version of J.D. Drew, it's still worth the low-risk, high reward shot to have him not care on the mound every 5th day, even for 5 innings at a time.

Bedard isn't chopped liver. He's not a JD Drew/Dice-K/Kazmir amalgam. When healthy, he's another Jon Lester in the rotation. Especially this year: Lester and Bedard have almost identical HR/9 rates and K-rates in 2011. And Bedard's walking far less batters.

Edited by Trlicek's Whip, 28 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#33 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3221 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Despite the injury history, I LOVE, LOVE LOVE this idea. The shoulder is fixed. I can over look a sprained knee. This guy is an excellent pitcher and he has been so in the AL EAST, which matters. I have some concern about the NL guys we're talking about possibly picking up, including Jimenez, coming in here and doing well in this division. And as for his reported (but not really verified) attitude issues, the poor guy has only played in Baltimore and Seattle. I mean, if I played for those two teams, I might be thinking more about my own stats than about winning and losing, too. The teams, and frankly the entire organizations that he's had around him have stunk.

#34 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3496 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'm a fan of this idea, based alone on the question of, "Who would you rather have TODAY - Lackey or Bedard?"

Year Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2011 32 SEA AL 4 6 .400 3.00 15 15 0 0 0 0 90.0 74 36 30 11 26 0 85 1 0 5 362 123 1.111 7.4 1.1 2.6 8.5 3.27
2011 32 BOS AL 9 8 .529 6.20 17 17 0 0 0 0 97.1 123 69 67 13 30 1 66 12 0 6 451 66 1.572 11.4 1.2 2.8 6.1 2.20

As long as we are not giving up a lions share, this is a no brainer.

Wow. Didn't realize Lackey had already hit 12 guys. Pretty impressive. He's got an outside shot at besting the "modern" record of 21, by Tom Murhpy, in 1969 (everything above that is 1922 or earlier, when they apparently just drilled each other at will). Also of note, both Carlos and Victor Zambrano have hit 20 batters in a season.

#35 Yaz4Ever

• sucking on the government teat

• 7784 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Wow. Didn't realize Lackey had already hit 12 guys. Pretty impressive. He's got an outside shot at besting the "modern" record of 21, by Tom Murhpy, in 1969 (everything above that is 1922 or earlier, when they apparently just drilled each other at will). Also of note, both Carlos and Victor Zambrano have hit 20 batters in a season.

Lackey has a .529 winning percentage to Bedard's .400. Obviously, we'd prefer Lackey.

kidding. I'd really like to see Bedard brought over if we can't work something out for Jiminez.

#36 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Can you imagine the havoc that Lackey and Bedard could rack up against Baltimore. They could shatter some records.

#37 allaboutthesox

• 2558 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Rob Dibble said he was a quitter, lazy, "Doesn't get it" etc.

While it is has to be somewhat of a concern for the Sox there are a few things in their favor. He is in the last year of a contract and the Sox have a solid club house. Pitching is at a premium and if Bedard comes here and performs well without being a problem he will just set himself up for a bigger payday. Also, I just can't see Theo & Co. nor some of the Sox players allowing Bedard to become a cancer and cause this team to lose focus or break stride.

I just wonder what the price would be for the Sox to get Bedard? If this trade goes down, it will be interesting to see the return Seattle would get back.

Edited by allaboutthesox, 28 July 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#38 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6283 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Going off memory, Bedard isn't a cancer - he's just Canadian (that one was for you Sprowl).

What I mean is that he's different - he's very quiet and doesn't really deal with the media at all.

That being said, I have no problem if he's limited to five innings a start until the playoffs. The issue is not whether he can stay healthy for three years or even three months but the short time between the start of the playoffs until the end. And if Beckett, Lester, and Bedard are pitching in the post-season, my money says the Sox win it all.

Again.

Seems to me that the Sox have enough good prospects that aren't going anywhere to make it happen. Lars, Bowden, etc.

#39 Flynn4ever

• 514 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

While it is has to be somewhat of a concern for the Sox there are a few things in their favor. He is in the last year of a contract and the Sox have a solid club house. Pitching is at a premium and if Bedard comes here and performs well without being a problem he will just set himself up for a bigger payday. Also, I just can't see Theo & Co. nor some of the Sox players allowing Bedard to become a cancer and cause this team to lose focus or break stride.

This is a good point, the guy has had ace stuff (when healthy) for years now and never had a team that knew what an ace was. He goes to Seattle to be overshadowed by a bigger ace with a .500 winning pct. (I know, means little statistically but psychologically, come on!) and then his "Robin" status is supplanted by Pinero. Who wouldn't bitch from time to time in those circumstances? Make him the number 3 or 4 on a winner and I bet that attitude will sharpen up nicely!

#40 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21720 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

I might be a bit of a prick too if I spent my entire pro career on teams like the O's and M's teams he has played on.

Winning breeds good chemistry.

#41 roundegotrip

• 1940 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I really want them to land Bedard. His AL East background definitely puts him on top in my book as the best available option.

He and Harden are the best potential values, despite the risks associated with both of them. But Bedard seems likely to be the lesser injury risk, and the more likely to be able to produce in the division, since he's been here and done that. I'd be happy with either of those additions, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Bedard

Edited by roundegotrip, 29 July 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#42 joe dokes

• 2471 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

We have no idea what he's like in a clubhouse. But I'm pretty confident that *this* clubhouse can absorb even the biggest shithead for three months. Just among the pitching staff, does anyone really think that Beckett, Lester, Lackey ("Hey, you're working my side of the street") & Varitek will some attitude-head get out of control?

And that's assuming . . . .

Rob Dibble said he was a quitter, lazy, "Doesn't get it" etc

How would he know? Rob Dibble has proven himself to be one the the stupidest humans in the baseball universe. I'm not going to rely on Rob "My 4 good major league seasons before I got too fat and drunk to pitch anymore but which qualify me to call Strasburg a pussy for complaining about a sore elbow" Dibble for anything other than making sure I get the right amount of fries with my order.

I heard Tony Mazz talk about too. Said his teammates couldn't stand him and was very divisive.

Like Tony has ever spoken to single one of Bedard's teammates. More likely he was just regurgitating what he heard someone else say, who was in turn repeating what Dibble said.

Bedard has been on one crappy team after another. If its true that he keeps to himself, morons like Dibble and Mazz will attribute those teams' suckitude to "lack of fire and leadership" instead of the more obvious things, like they have a roster choked with crap. There are a lot of unhappy folks on crappy teams.

Unlike a lot of the chronicly injured pitchers, Bedard has been pretty effective each time he has been able to crawl back on the mound. Seems like a good move. Ironically, it would be easier for Theo to make a rational deal with a top-flight (i.e., realistic) GM, which Jack Z. has not yet shown himself to be.

#43 Larry Gardner

• 161 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

Going off memory, Bedard isn't a cancer - he's just Canadian (that one was for you Sprowl).

What I mean is that he's different - he's very quiet and doesn't really deal with the media at all.

This article I just found is typical of what I remember about Bedard and his "aloofness"-- more like JD Drew maybe-- seeming to be uncaring, not intense?

MLB.com 2007 Bedard article

#44 joe dokes

• 2471 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

This article I just found is typical of what I remember about Bedard and his "aloofness"-- more like JD Drew maybe-- seeming to be uncaring, not intense?

MLB.com 2007 Bedard article

Good find.

Shorter Dibble: "He's French, so he must have all these things wrong with him that French people have wrong with them."

#45 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21720 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

So I guess a lot of things are probably waiting on Bedard's performance tonight against the Rays. Once the Sox (and others) know what he looks like off the DL, they'll need to either make a firm offer or go in other directions.

I bet things start hopping Saturday.

#46 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4606 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

I really want nothing to do with Harden. I'd rather they not waste a single prospect on him.

Bedard, on the other hand, was a binky of mine coming into this year when he was a free agent, and I think could really help this team. Throw him out there for 5 innings every 5 days, give him a few weeks off on the DL, keep him fresh for the playoffs and see what he can do for you. If it comes down to Bedard vs. Harden, please god get on the Bedard express.

#47 kid splinter

• 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

My thought when this was initially broached earlier in the week was that Theo could throw a bunch of the guys they'd probably lose in the off-season roster crunch at the M's. Since no one will likely really trust Bedard's health, the Sox can use this as a way to get something for a bunch of guys they'd likely lose anyway. The M's will get quantity over quality, but they might like someone better than Theo so it becomes a win for both sides...

Do we know if this is a possibility? I haven't seen anything concrete in terms of a price for Bedard... what are we comfortable giving up?

#48 chrisfont9

• 1263 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Do we know if this is a possibility? I haven't seen anything concrete in terms of a price for Bedard... what are we comfortable giving up?

For what it's worth, the talk radio scuttlebutt out here in Seattle is not to expect much of anything in return for Bedard. For all the reasons already discussed. Whether the Ms share that view is to be seen, but clearly they have no incentive to keep him now. And the Ms need bats, big time; public is unbelievably sick of the lack of offense. So yeah, flip an expendable bat or two.

#49 Saints Rest

• 3553 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Is Lars the right fit here?

#50 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

For what it's worth, the talk radio scuttlebutt out here in Seattle is not to expect much of anything in return for Bedard. For all the reasons already discussed. Whether the Ms share that view is to be seen, but clearly they have no incentive to keep him now. And the Ms need bats, big time; public is unbelievably sick of the lack of offense. So yeah, flip an expendable bat or two.

Saw an article/snippet that said the Ms (Mgr. or GM) wanted to re-sign Bedard and he wanted to stay with the Ms. The speculation was that the team may both trade him now and re-sign him in the off-season.

On a separate note, I am a firm believer that young people deserve a second chance and that many mature late. I am also a believer that many people respond differently based on the culture and performance of their workplace. I am going to hold on to that as I think of Bedard in a Sox uni.

For those who don't follow the Birds, Badard's clubhouse influence, personality and maturity were all held in low regard by players, press and fans back in the day. I believe that those days may have little in common with Bedard today and/or if he were on the Sox, but folks here should not pretend that they never happened.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 29 July 2011 - 02:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users