Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Yankees Scouting Ubaldo Jimenez

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,879 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Along with several other teams......

Ubaldo is having a decent year, not a great one, after an incredible first half last season and similarly mediocre second half.

Personally, the thought of the Yankees landing a 27 year old pitcher with as much talent as Ubaldo Jimenez is terrifying. Even if he just pitches the way he has been this season (he has had some nagging injuries) with an ERA in the low 4's - high 3's he is going to make that rotation a lot better. If recovering from those injuries (thumb and hip flexor) means he comes anywhere near his 15-1 are-you-kidding-me 2010 first half I will have a serious, serious problem with this.

I hate when the Yankees get in the mix for a guy like Jimenez because I want to root for him. His first half last year was some of the best pitching I've ever seen. I want to watch the guy throw like that again, but not if it's in pinstripes.

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

It would be a big upgrade, but I wouldn't be crying over it. They were going to get a pitcher eventually. I much prefer this situation than them signing Lee outright. They would have to trade 2-3-4 of their top prospects.

I think I'd rather face Jimenez twice in a series than Liriano. I'd also rather them trade 3x the amount for Jimenez than get someone like Nolasco.

#3 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,089 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Parallel post:

The Yankees are interested? Well, oh no.

Them and every other big market contender.

The Rockies have him at $4.2M next season, then hold club options at $5.75M and $8M in '13 and '14, respectively. They probably aren't gonna jettison him.

#4 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,915 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

It would be a big upgrade, but I wouldn't be crying over it. They were going to get a pitcher eventually. I much prefer this situation than them signing Lee outright. They would have to trade 2-3-4 of their top prospects.

I think I'd rather face Jimenez twice in a series than Liriano. I'd also rather them trade 3x the amount for Jimenez than get someone like Nolasco.

I'd be very weary of trading for a pitcher who has had all of his success in the NL West.

#5 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

rockies name price for ubaldo: montero, banuelos, betances & nova. nyy will do montero plus other pitchers (not those guys)

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/92701385228947456

Lulz.

#6 EvilEmpire

• 4,777 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

http://twitter.com/#...701385228947456

Lulz.

Yeah, I don't see that happening.

#7 dylanmarsh

• 4,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'd be very weary of trading for a pitcher who has had all of his success in the NL West.

Like Curt Schilling?

#8 Bigpupp

• 814 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

You mean they want Hughes, Kennedy AND Joba for him? JUST SAY NO CASH!!!

wait, what?

#9 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,028 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Jimenez' numbers outside of Coors are awesome. Scout is right, they are going to get somebody...it's a matter of time. I could live with this if the package hurts their system.

#10 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,593 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/92701385228947456

Lulz.

that's comical. it does, though, remind me of the packages that the red sox reportedly discussed with the jays and mariners for halladay and felix. jimenez isn't in that category

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

Like Curt Schilling?

Yeah, those 101 wins in Philadelphia were nothing.

#12 Brianish

• 4,335 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

True, but also playing half his games in Colorado.

Career ERA+ of 131 per BR.

http://www.baseball-...campaign=Linker

#13 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,272 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

LOL

#14 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,923 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

wait, what?

Yankee and Red Sox fans use Ian Kennedy as some kind of a punchline but they really shouldn't at all.

#15 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Yankee and Red Sox fans use Ian Kennedy as some kind of a punchline but they really shouldn't at all.

He was nothing but a punchline in his time in the AL East.

I mean, I get your point, dude's good now with Arizona. But he was a bust as a Yankee and never came near all the promise that the morons over at NYYFans always said would be there on day one. At least, not in New York.

#16 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,923 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

He was nothing but a punchline in his time in the AL East.

Kennedy pitched a grand total of 59.2 MLB innings with the Yankees. I find it really difficult call a guy like that a bust or some kind of a big joke with such a small sample size.

Ian Kennedy is good. And I think Yankee fans that make cracks about him, and plenty still do at NYYF, just do it as some kind of a coping mechanism.

#17 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,470 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:25 AM

Ian Kennedy certainly shouldn't be mocked, he just made the All-Star game.

But that also doesn't mean he would have been competent in the AL, this year he's started 16 games against NL teams with a 2.92 ERA and 4 games against AL teams with a 5.27 ERA.

#18 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ian Kennedy certainly shouldn't be mocked, he just made the All-Star game.

Rolen and Jeter. Rolen and Jeter.

#19 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

IF this will be another world famous "Take our guy, please" where the Yankees send off another cast of bums/#4 starters at best, I will go nuts. With that said, take Montero if you can and don't be greedy. Why do teams REFUSE to take a prodigy bat when he's available? God, you now the Yankees will keep him and their best prospects while getting better. It's almost MLB law.

#20 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

IF this will be another world famous "Take our guy, please" where the Yankees send off another cast of bums/#4 starters at best, I will go nuts. With that said, take Montero if you can and don't be greedy. Why do teams REFUSE to take a prodigy bat when he's available? God, you now the Yankees will keep him and their best prospects while getting better. It's almost MLB law.

Because his defense is suspect and there's a good chance he won't stick at C, which for a National League team is bad, bad news. And I'm sure all the reports about his immaturity aren't helping either.

#21 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Because his defense is suspect and there's a good chance he won't stick at C, which for a National League team is bad, bad news. And I'm sure all the reports about his immaturity aren't helping either.

Yeah but the NY Post report says the Rockies love Montero even though they see him at 1B, they may actually trade for the bat and stick a glove on his hand and hope. If they are willing to trade for him as a 1B even though he has never played the position makes you think they have a real hard on for him. It makes some sense that the Yankees have not stuck a 1b glove on him, because if he cant play there then he really is a DH. At least leaving him at catcher allows teams to dream of him being a capable 1B (and who knows he may be).

#22 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Yeah but the NY Post report says the Rockies love Montero even though they see him at 1B, they may actually trade for the bat and stick a glove on his hand and hope. If they are willing to trade for him as a 1B even though he has never played the position makes you think they have a real hard on for him. It makes some sense that the Yankees have not stuck a 1b glove on him, because if he cant play there then he really is a DH. At least leaving him at catcher allows teams to dream of him being a capable 1B (and who knows he may be).

The Yankees haven't stuck a 1B glove on him because they already have a guy committed longterm to 1B. Guy named Teixeira or something. Besides, he's a thousand times more valuable to them as a catcher, where they have no one longterm at the ML level and a bunch of other question marks at that position in the Minors.

#23 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

The Yankees haven't stuck a 1B glove on him because they already have a guy committed longterm to 1B. Guy named Teixeira or something. Besides, he's a thousand times more valuable to them as a catcher, where they have no one longterm at the ML level and a bunch of other question marks at that position in the Minors.

Yeah but had they gotten him some reps at 1B along with Catcher would make him that much more valuable to the current Yankees he could then play multiple positions as well as DH getting his bat in the game as often as possible. With no ARod they could do a lot worse then letting him come up and see if his bat gets awakened at the the big league level. Maybe even catch lightning in a bottle for a couple weeks.

I understand his value as a catcher, but I also understand if he were to suck as a 1B then essentially only half the league would be interested in him and his trade value would plummet.

#24 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,470 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

With no ARod they could do a lot worse then letting him come up and see if his bat gets awakened at the the big league level.

How would that work exactly, and what does A-Rod's absence have to do with it? Just bench Posada/Jones and let Montero take DH, even though his AAA slash numbers are worse than their numbers in the bigs?

Montero is still one of the youngest few players in AAA, no need to push a square peg into a round hole to force him up.

#25 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

I am saying they could bring him up to do what you suggest and hope his bat replaces ARod's. Just hope he is having a Hanley type season at AAA where he is disinterested playing at the level again. If I recall Hanley, once brought to the bigs with FL, turned it on and realized the potential that most thought he had.

Edited by th@tkid, 18 July 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#26 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

I am saying they could bring him up to do what you suggest and hope his bat replaces ARod's. Just hope he is having a Hanley type season at AAA where he is disinterested playing at the level again. If I recall Hanley, once brought to the bigs with FL, turned it on and realized the potential that most thought he had.

Ramirez never played in Triple-A at any point in his career. He made the Marlins out of ST in 2006 and crushed it right from the start.

#27 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Ramirez never played in Triple-A at any point in his career. He made the Marlins out of ST in 2006 and crushed it right from the start.

So AA he played like shit the point being once he got to where he felt he belonged he raked. I recall him playing like shit in Portland and Gammons saying "he plays to the crowds" but maybe that is just a bad memory.

#28 tmlhttr98

• 61 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

I actually hope MFY keep Montero. He won't stick at C. They have Horseface at first and ARoid as their future DH. He is completely blocked and they have no leverage in a trade involving him. Also color me unimpressed with his bat as well.

#29 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

I actually hope MFY keep Montero. He won't stick at C. They have Horseface at first and ARoid as their future DH. He is completely blocked and they have no leverage in a trade involving him. Also color me unimpressed with his bat as well.

You are unimpressed with his bat this season or just in general? Cause if it's just in general as in you think his bat is overrated or something that could be one of the dumber comments made on this site and I should know I just blurt shit out at times. Pretty sure he flat out dominated AAA last year as what a 19/20 year old.

Edited by th@tkid, 18 July 2011 - 10:36 PM.

#30 Phranchise

• 210 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

All these nicknames are so cute!

So, because A-rod will likely be their DH in 2-3 years, they have no leverage in trades today because he's blocked? You're unimpressed with his bat? This post reads like an ESPN.com comments section post.

#31 ThePrideofShiner

• 2,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

This thread has moved in a wild direction, but I will say, I really hope the Yankees don't trade Montero for Ubaldo.

I think Ubaldo is really good, but I also thought Jeff Weaver was really, really good and I'm wary.

I'd rather see what Jesus has (mainly if he can hit a curveball) before trading him away.

#32 Sampo Gida

• 3,143 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

If he is healthy I can not see why the Rockies would trade Ubaldo who is under contract until 2014 at a very reasonable price and is only 27 (if he gets hurt they can just not pick up his 2013 and 2014 options). He would be crazy expensive in terms of prospects.

I don't see it unless Cashman was worried about making the playoffs, and given that the Rays look cooked, I doubt he is all that worried .

#33 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,470 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

The problem is still what it's been since they lost out on Lee and Pettitte retired: a lack of playoff quality starting pitching behind CC. I don't think Jimenez is quite enough of a sure thing to empty the farm to get, I think they're better off holding out for CJ Wilson in FA, who is also a lefty as opposed to Jimenez being a RHP (LHP is obviously a better fit for Yankee Stadium).

#34 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

The problem is still what it's been since they lost out on Lee and Pettitte retired: a lack of playoff quality starting pitching behind CC. I don't think Jimenez is quite enough of a sure thing to empty the farm to get, I think they're better off holding out for CJ Wilson in FA, who is also a lefty as opposed to Jimenez being a RHP (LHP is obviously a better fit for Yankee Stadium).

Is Pettitte officially done, it seems like it but I sort of wonder if he might begin working out now that the Clemens thing has taken a turn towards him walking and he may not have to be dragged in to testify. You would think a reporter might contact him to see if he is working out at all.