Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Manchester City, 2011-12: Sitting on Top of the World (Shout-Outs to the Mississippi Sheiks)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
247 replies to this topic

#201 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25407 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

FWIW...apparently Joey Barton has been arrested for assaulting a Man City staff member following the game.

What an idiot.

He's lucky he didn't get arrested for kneeing the guy on the field.

Nice guy.

#202 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15427 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

He's lucky he didn't get arrested for kneeing the guy on the field.

Nice guy.

he really is a punk. I can live with the elbow...it got a deserved red card, but I can live with it. But the kneeing was a disgrace. And this from a QPR fan.

Edited by bsj, 13 May 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#203 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10029 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Are you a QPR fan? I hadn't seen anything indicating as such.

#204 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15427 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Barton just tweeted that the knee was an attempt to get one of the City guys to retaliate and get sent off as well.

Well...okaaay...I guess that's sort of noble. Stupid, insane, and long suspension worthy too...

#205 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25407 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Or he's lying. Given the expression on his face when he kneed the guy, I'm going with "liar."

#206 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15427 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Or he's lying. Given the expression on his face when he kneed the guy, I'm going with "liar."

Quite possible.

#207 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6194 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

This will no doubt be taken down soon, but here's Martin Tyler's call of the winner.

#208 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10029 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Man, I could listen to Martin Tyler call an invasive surgery.

#209 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Watched the final 25 minutes or so at my sister's. Already had way too much to drink, which is probably a bad thing seeing how the wife is working and I got kids to tend to. I've watched Aguero's goal at least 30 times already. Funny how old friend Joey Barton indirectly contributed to the win. His typical bullshit (Tevez isn't exactly innocent either, however) leads to more stoppage time at the end of the second half.

This club has balls the size of fucking Saturn.

Fuck me ... I may spend the rest of the day in this thread.

#210 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Is Teddy alive?

#211 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Very much alive. Very much not ready to talk about it. Watching player interviews from the mcfc site in disbelief.

#212 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

I finally have a late-at-night-and-drunk-and-on-YouTube highlight to replace Dickov's goal. Though "Can you believe it?!" will certainly never get old.

#213 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I taped FSC's re-broadcast of the United-Sunderland match, just so I could see the fans', the players', and Ferguson's reaction when they learned City scored a second goal in stoppage time. I was reminded of that "Simpsons" scene where Lisa rejects Ralph on live television.

"Watch this. You can actually pinpoint the second when Baconface's heart rips in half."

#214 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11884 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Sir Alex "On behalf of Manchester United I'd like to say congratulations to our neighbours. It's a fantastic achievement to win this league"

Despite what SFIC thinks...as classy as they come.

"it will take them a century to get to our level of history."

#215 Apisith

• 1194 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Epic win.

#216 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Ok, seriously...DID THAT REALLY FUCKING HAPPEN?!?!?!?!

I spent more time on youtube yesterday than I probably have in my whole life. Watching Aguero's goal in every language possible (check out the South American version with an ad libbed song). Watching the tunnel cam. Watching United fans find out about the result, including one complete moron who had himself filmed watching it and put it on youtube. Thanks for that one, buddy, because that was special. All the player reaction videos - Dzeko in a funny hat, Clichy whom I never would have guessed is a complete firecracker. Fucking SWP!

For all of those who are suggesting that maybe it was better that way -- i disagree, i nearly died yesterday. Lescott's stupid header back to Hart was designed to kill me. So many ridiculously clutch last minute performances...Dzeko pulling through, Balotelli coming on with his head on straight and being an absolute personal force (I think he read he had 14 attempts on goal in like 20 minutes). Then Balotelli falling and accidentally tipping it into Aguero's path....and Aguero actually fucking finishes like that. You just can't make that stuff up, it's truly surreal. Big ups to Joey Barton for the extra time and also to the Sunderland fans for the Poznan after they found out we won.

#217 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11884 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm not calling you out teddy (it's all over the papers today), but I don't understand the Barton stoppage time thing. If he doesn't waste three minutes getting off the pitch, they play the same amount of time, they just play it in normal time instead of stoppage time. It's not like City was fated to score a third goal only after 93:31 showed up on the clock.

44 shots to 2 (maybe 3)
81% possession

And they score on shots 43 and 44. Holy crap.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 14 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#218 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Question: Was the rash challenge on Aguero right before his shot rashy enough that under different circumstances (the title not on the line) he goes to the ground, hoping to draw a penalty? Just curious. And something I began wondering last night after the approximately 115th time I had watched a replay of the goal.

#219 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yeah it's true enough and 5 minutes may have shortchanged us time wise since it took that buffoon forever to finish assaulting 3 people on his way off. I guess it just feels right to have had that extra time versus 10 men, plus the mentality of it being over the 90 leading Qpr to just hoof it when they got the ball. At the end of the game the possession was given easier. Nonetheless, you are correct

#220 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25407 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I dunno if it was rash. Desperate? Sure, but the studs didn't exactly wallop him. I think that's more credit to Aguero's mad skills than anything else.

#221 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Question: Was the rash challenge on Aguero right before his shot rashy enough that under different circumstances (the title not on the line) he goes to the ground, hoping to draw a penalty? Just curious. And something I began wondering last night after the approximately 115th time I had watched a replay of the goal.

Even under those circumstances it probably would have been the right move. Balotelli from the spot there would have been a sight to behold. It's insane that Aguero was able to finish there, it was really tight and he had to go with power. The finish is obviously praised, but you can't say enough about how tough a finish it was

#222 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

LTF I'm not sure if you're watching the live stream of the parade festivities but it's hilariously bad so far. Right now there are opera singers doing the Mancini song/chant in operatic style. It's pure kitsch and it's awesome in its own way.

edit: seriously if you can find a replay of this it's worth it. City instituted this "FanZone" commentary group last season I think, and it includes this asshat named Hugh Ferris who is almost always cringeworthy. And he's the emcee of this event, being more cringeworthy than ever. The players are literally hiding to avoid getting asked dumb questions, like when he asked Milner and AJ if it was tough to only be able to watch the game yesterday. It's borderline Andy Kaufman stuff. Sergio Aguero is wearing sky blue pants. I can't get enough of this.

Edited by teddykgb, 14 May 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#223 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11884 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think the contact was slight enough that Aguero couldn't afford to chance going down. If Kenny covers his post, though, Aguero has a lot smaller target. There are about four QPR defenders walling off the left half of the goal, and no one on the near post.

#224 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2176 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

Tevez enjoying the parade

#225 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Did Tevez play in enough game to get a medal?

#226 SoxFanInCali

• 6194 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

You only need 10 appearances to get a medal, so I'd guess he managed that many.

#227 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11884 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Did Tevez play in enough game to get a medal?

You couldn't see him on the podium with your head in the oven?

#228 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

You only need 10 appearances to get a medal, so I'd guess he managed that many.

It was a jab in response to the poster, but I got curious and looked it up. Wikipedia shows 9 appearances in the league.

#229 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6451 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

That's why Lescott was biting his medal on Sunday. There was a mix up i think .Tevez was meant to get one of those medals made out of chocolate but someone fucked up. I think it was Franny Lee, he's a fuckin card.

Just found out that Mancini's post match ritual includes him making love to a spinach and ham calzone. Whilst listening to his favourite Luna Pop records. Platt gets the afters. Viera gets to watch.

#230 SoxFanInCali

• 6194 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

It was a jab in response to the poster, but I got curious and looked it up. Wikipedia shows 9 appearances in the league.

And that's why Wikipedia is not a valid source. He appeared in each of Man City's last 10 league games, and 3 more before his "vacation".

#231 Apisith

• 1194 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

I'm sure City would have asked for special dispensation, anyway. It isn't unprecedented, I think.

For the City fans: you think Tevez will stay?

#232 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

And that's why Wikipedia is not a valid source. He appeared in each of Man City's last 10 league games, and 3 more before his "vacation".

Thanks, Derek Rae.

#233 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

Hey Zomp, do you remember this post? I think it was a good one.

#234 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I do, unfortunately.

Its been written in a few articles I've seen, but I don't think it can be overstated enough how much winning the way they did will help City. Obviously as a fan you want a relaxing and comfortable win, but to win the way they did should give a lot of that squad belief that they can win any game no matter how desperate they get. I've seen United do it countless amount of times and now I fear I'm going to see City do it.

#235 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure City would have asked for special dispensation, anyway. It isn't unprecedented, I think.

For the City fans: you think Tevez will stay?

Probably not, but it's impossible to know with him. I'd say it's 90% he's gone, but it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed, he played well when he came back, and as a team player. He mostly sat in the hole and orchestrated as opposed to leading the line and going for goals. He was very useful, to say the least. He can obviously still play, and it seems like Italy would be his next destination, and like I said when he finally came back, he had (and took) an opportunity to re-establish his value and make a transfer worthwhile for all parties. It doesn't shock me at all if Inter or AC are more realistic scenarios now, and I imagine City will be doing a bit of business with Italy this summer anyway on a number of their players, so the lines of communication should be very open.

By the way, the rumors of Hazard to City being a done deal are picking up serious momentum. I'm sure every team has a similar rumor, but the prospect of adding Hazard to the team that just won the PL is pants tent inducing. Some strange rumors about Ibra popping up as well, but Ibra sort of always pops up around this time of year.

#236 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I was reading about an Ibra-for-Mario swap. Today the MEN reported that Mancini said Balotelli will be back next season. The story also featued this awesome quote:

"He just needs to make his brain work. That is his only problem."

#237 EP Sox Fan

• 1268 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Just coming in to offer the obligatory congrats to teddykgb and LTF. Congrats on the well deserved win. I agree with Zomp that the manner in which you won will seriously help City in the future. A collapse against QPR in the final game of the season would have been an epic nut punch that would further pile on the persistent feeling of doubt when you get to the squeeky bum time. Instead, you completed a decisive comeback to dethrone your crosstown rivals in probably the most demoralizing fashion possible.

I have to admit, I was expecting to lose the title. The seed of doubt caused by the loss to Wigan was full grown after blowing a two goal lead against offensively challenged Everton....at home no less. I had no confidence that we were going to go into Eastlands and come out with 3 points, much less one point. That went to near zero when I saw the line-up SAF put on the field. In all objectivity, City were by far the more dynamic side throughout the season. The fact that United lost the title on goal difference on the last game of the season (really it was the 6-1 humiliation at Old Trafford) is to me pretty impressive given the amount of injuries and subsequent reliance on younger, less experience players and a far more gritty and less dynamic style of football than I'm used to seeing from them. While I think this experience will certainly help the younger players in United's side, you know City is going to re-load in the offseason. Adding someone like Hazard to that line-up (which really didn't have much in the way of really dynamic talent on the wings) coupled with the confidence instilled in humbling their cross-town rivals will make them the prohibitive favorites for the title for the foreseeable future.

#238 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I can't see Zlatan moving. He is such a brilliant player, but that brilliance is magnified by 100 when he plays in Serie A.

Though he did shit on Arsenal.

#239 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8032 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

and this may sound silly, but I actually think City need Hazard more than United do.

We're fine on the wings. Valencia, Nani, and Ashley Young are a good setup to have.

City really could do with a natural wide player who has legs to burn in Europe. Hazard suits that perfectly.

#240 teddykgb

• 3515 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

As did Nasri in some of his comments, which I really found funny. I don't see Ibra as realistic, he just always seems to come up. I guess you can sort of imagine an Ibra for Tevez swap but i'm not sure why AC Milan really wants to do that, unless Ibra has decided he wants to leave. Same story with Balotelli, but I don't think Balotelli is done in Manchester, yet. Mancini pretty much said as much, as LTF noted, and he probably needs another season or two before he's ready to be an everyday striker for a team like AC or Inter, anyway. I guess if there's any truth to the RvP rumors, maybe Balotelli would have to move on, but I really don't see City needing an RvP like striker this offseason. Adding a playmaker like Hazard, selling Tevez, and bringing back Guidetti who absolutely ripped shit up at Feyenoord would probably leave City with a more sensible grouping of strikers (Aguero, Balotelli, Dzeko, Guidetti) who can all get games in various competitions and remain happy. Although Guidetti has been a bit of a bitch and may want more commitment to playing time than City can afford him. Also wouldn't be shocked if Dzeko sought out a move.

edit: on Hazard, I agree with you 100% Zomp. He's probably going to be a fantastic player, but it's just not an area of need for United. IMO your focus has to be on finding someone to matchup better with Yaya/Barry/Silva than supplementing an already strong stable of wingers. I suppose if you could sell Nani and roll Valencia and Hazard regularly you might be better off, but short of some large upheaval United's needs are probably to find someone to partner and provide cover for Scholes

Edited by teddykgb, 15 May 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#241 BelgianSoxFan

• 479 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

By the way, the rumors of Hazard to City being a done deal are picking up serious momentum. I'm sure every team has a similar rumor, but the prospect of adding Hazard to the team that just won the PL is pants tent inducing. Some strange rumors about Ibra popping up as well, but Ibra sort of always pops up around this time of year.

Hazard has said he is coming to Manchester, he has not said to which one as far as I know.

#242 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2176 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

With Hazard possibly coming, can we take your cast offs, hopefully Adam Johnson?

#243 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm approaching my 200th viewing of the stoppage time goals and the subsequent celebrating. I shit you not. Observations that may only interest me:

*Steven McManaman's raspy "Oh ... my .. GOD" is very Alan Partridge-esque.

*I love the shot of the family celebrating, particularly the daughter with the hipster glasses, who fans herself with her hand in an effort to ward off tears before she hugs (presumably) her little brother. Reminds me of the shot of the celebrating family following Dickov's goal.

*Any time I'm watching footage of the team that isn't game action my eyes are inevitably drawn to Balotelli. Last year, during the FA Cup celebrations, I noticed how much he was acting like a hyperactive puppy around Joe Hart. This year, it looked like he was bugging everyone to hoist the trophy. After Kompany, you can clearly see him jonesing to get it next, to the point where Aguero says something while giving him a total stink eye. I bet the key to being his buddy is taking him only in small doses.

#244 SoxFanInCali

• 6194 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

My favorite part of the celebration is Cisse running over and grabbing Nasri, with Cisse jumping around and looking to be the more excited of the 2 of them.

#245 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have yet to find anything detailing Mark E. Smith's reaction to the win. This will have to suffice:

http://www.wsc.co.uk...t/view/3751/29/

Harry Dowd, the goalkeeper in the championship team in 1968, was the best. He still worked as a plumber part-time and my dad was a plumber too. We used to go behind the goal and Harry would wander over and talk about washers and copper joints. I remember being at a cup tie once and Harry was saying “Do you know if this goes to extra time today, only I’ve got a job on at half five?” then suddenly people are shouting “Harry Harry!” and the team we were playing are charging down the pitch and Harry rushes out, dives at someone’s feet, throws the ball up the pitch then comes back and starts again, “So, is this extra time today...?”

I found this article awhile back -- it's fantastic. Not to sound like a douchey Sox fan circa 2004 bitching about Ben Affleck becoming the face of Sox fandom, but I can guarantee you Liam Gallagher wouldn't be able to give a football-related interview like this. His story of getting arrested at a non-League match is terrific.

#246 SoxFanInPdx

• 1677 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Speaking of Liam, I'm waiting for the crazy celebration stories. So far I'm disappointed.

#247 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11884 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Rumor has it that Tevez's wages doubled to 500K/week with City winning the league. So I don't think he's going anywhere.

#248 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 152 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

We'll end with this ...

Posted Image