Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Manchester City, 2011-12: Sitting on Top of the World (Shout-Outs to the Mississippi Sheiks)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
247 replies to this topic

#1 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

On Saturday night, I went to the Shannon Door in Jackson, N.H., with my brother-in-law. Sitting at the bar, I overheard some particularly loud chatter from a gentleman wearing a Chelsea away jersey with Lampard's name and number. He was going on about winning the Double a year ago, and how firm and protracted this made his erections. On my way to the terlit, I stopped and put an arm around this gentleman, and announced to him and his friends, "This season, this club will take the Double" while pointing to the badge on my City jersey. One of the Chelsea supporter's friends asked, "Yeah, the double what?" At which point I told him, "Champions of Europe and relegation."

Nobody laughed.

Later, I learned the Chelsea supporter's name was Danny. He was a middle-aged Englishman from Cambridge -- not here; over there -- and a former season-ticket holder at Stamford Bridge. He told me that he was in Moscow in '08 and when Chelsea lost, he kept drinking and missed his flight home and really made his wife mad. When we began discussing the ongoing Carlos Tevez saga, I said something about Tevez's wife being dismissive of Manchester and questioned the validity of her complaints and then followed it up with a, "True or not, who can blame her? Manchester is soggy with lots of puddles and ever dreary and has like 90 minutes of daylight during the winter months." But then Danny told me that Manchester only gets 20 more inches of rain a year than London, which I'm not really sure is true, but it didn't matter. It was all part of Danny getting me to believe that Tevez is staying put.

So he is. This is this season's Manchester City thread. FA Cup Champions, bound with the best for Europe, neighbors that are noisier than ever, part of the Big Four -- if anyone even cares about such a label anymore.

Eat my goal.

#2 Sille Skrub

• 3,957 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

City signs an amazing stadium naming rights deal.

Holy shit.

#3 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Posted Image

Man City's new home shirt is bigger than the Beatles.

Edited by mascho, 15 July 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#4 bosox4283

• 2,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Tevez on his way out?

http://www.independe...ls-2315928.html

Aguero to be his replacement?

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle772520.html

#5 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

I waited very patiently for this thread, then missed that it had been started, thanks LTF

City 2-0 on the US Tour and looking much better than they looked last season in pre season, which is probably helped by having actual first team squad members on the tour this time.

Tevez turmoil has been raging strong, seems like anything involving Kia is going to be complicated and dramatic, I have no idea if Corinthians will get done, but I think it's madness if there's no sell on clause in the contract (which is the rumor). Just don't trust that guy to not sell him back to somewhere that will bite us in the ass.

Yaya went down last night and it looked ugly, but Mancini after the game apparently thought it was just an ankle sprain. Dzeko missed a sitter but has looked much more comfortable in his two preseason appearances, meanwhile SWP and Vladimir Weiss have been spark plugs, both looking to figure into the squad this year. Based on play to this point, Adam Johnson is looking at being squeezed out, although it's pre season and against mediocre to bad competition, so maybe these speed guys stand out a bit more. Guidetti resigned and looked much better last night against Vancouver than he did against Copa America, displaying some of the hold up/link up play that was absent last weekend. Nice headed goal, probably figures to own the Jo role. The difference between Clichy and Kolarov has been stark, I think Clichy will be our regular LB in all the games that matter, wouldn't be surprised to see Kolarov resold by mid season.

But the story is and will continue to be Tevez and the impact to City. There's no denying he bagged a lot of goals. At time his play is selfish, but especially when we have Yaya, Barry, and NDJ on the field we really struggle to support a striker, so the work rate and tenacity of Tevez paid dividends. We're probably going to have to be much more balanced this season in order to support Balotelli, Dzeko, or Aguero if he comes in. Some rumors of Wes Sneijder emerging in the last few days as well, but the transfer rumor mill is just like that sometimes.

#6 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,026 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

At least he has a good head on his shoulders.

#7 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

The Balotelli thing is only a problem because there's just always SOMETHING with him. I applaud Mancini for yanking him even though it is quite harsh because he just has to learn that he needs to find a way to be playing the right way 100% of the time. Taken in isolation, it's a gimmick trick in a meaningless friendly and there's probably a better than average chance he thought he was offside or heard a whistle...but in the aggregate, he's just run out of time where the "he's young and hasn't learned how to give 100% all the time" excuse really holds water. the guy's a prodigious talent, and if you watched that game he and Silva were doing some amazing pass and moves that were giving the LA team fits, but he's got to find a way to be serious, keep his head on straight, and apply that talent for 90 minutes regularly before things like a silly gimmick move can be easily forgiven.

But in much better news, it seems like Kun Aguero is signing today. Really excited at the prospect of Aguero replacing Tevez (assuming he's going to need to be replaced) and linking up with the aforementioned Silva. Words can't properly express how much of a difference Silva makes in our squad, watching all the pre season games without him and then seeing his introduction absolutely made the team far more dynamic and useful. Throw in Aguero and there really should be some strong punch out of City this year, especially if he can link up with Dzeko, who clearly isn't a lone striker type.

#8 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

The latest is that Balotelli doesn't like the city of Manchester. Which really isn't news, since countless others before him -- footballers, Friedrich Engels, or otherwise -- have expressed a similar sentiment.

Here's a quick rundown of the notable players on the way out:

Patrick Viera (retired)
Felipe Caicedo (to Levante)
Jerome Boateng (to Bayern Munich)
Shay Given (to Aston Villa)
Jo (to Internacional)
Michael Johnson (to Leicester City)

Meanwhile, Chelsea is rumored to be after Adam Johnson, Bellamy is likely heading to Celtic, and it's the same old same old in regards to Emmanuel Adebayor and Carlos Tevez.

#9 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,597 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just want to note that Mario Balotelli is one of the five most compelling athletes on the planet right now. Sure, he probably pisses off Man City fans but I greatly enjoy his antics. The spinning backheel was a thing of genius. Sure, he's squandering his talent but every bizarre incident only adds to his legend.

The mix of money & youth in major soccer produces really entertaining ding-dongs like Mario. Is there even a comparable American athlete right now? He's like a mix of Rodman, Ochocinco & Jay Johnstone.

#10 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

City looked like it was playing in its first "real" match of the year. What a half-assed performance. I guess the silver lining is that it wasn't City's first "real" match of the year.

We'll hold off on bitching about the Yayas and the Dzekos and the Milners until next week. Actually, the hope is we won't have to since City has quite a cushy first match: at home against newly promoted Swansea.

#11 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16,455 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

I love the music of Oasis, but is there ever a moment in either of the Gallagher Brothers' lives where they don't think "Man do I really feel like being/looking like a total twat?"

#12 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

It was just Swansea City...It was just Swansea City....It was just Swansea City....

I need to tattoo that on the back of my hand after that wankfest of a game to open the season. Aguero with two on his debut, and that goddamned shot for the 2nd was pure magic. Silva was everywehre, Dzeko was phenomenal and looked even better when Aguero was introduced, he's great at the hold up play but maybe is best as a passing 2nd striker, which is awfully funny considering his size. I mean, I could go on forever, what an impressive win over an admittedly new to the PL side, but the score even at 4-0 flattered them, their goalie played out of his mind. Maybe United should have bought him instead of DeGea

#13 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Has any City singing ever had a debut like that?* I have Aguero-induced priapism. And more than those two goals and one assist is what he did for the rest of the squad. I thought the same thing, Teddy: That Dzeko, he of the leaden touches and wayward passes, looked so much better when Aguero was on the pitch. Everyone on attack did.

I'm curious to see how successful Swansea will be with its possession-oriented, passing-heavy approach. For the first 20 minutes or so, City hardly touched the ball. Of course, it didn't translate into anything for Swansea. They had some good movement on the wings, but really never threatened. It was a hoot to hear McManaman griping about City's performance (and Mancini's tactics) in the first half, when they were a few terrific saves and a struck crossbar away from being up 3-0. This one was never in doubt.

Is Aguero fully fit yet? I want an Aguero-Dzeko pairing for Sunday vs. Bolton.

*Trevor Francis came over from Forest for $1.2 million in 1981. In his debut, he scored two goals against Stoke.

#14 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:28 AM

Milner was absolutely immense, particularly with his passing. Dzeko just seems like a completely different player from the second half of last season, especially with how he's moving with the ball. Aguero missed an easy one and then had another disallowed on a chintzy foul call on Richards; he was pretty underwhelming in the second half and was substituted. Maybe he isn't 100 percent match fit. De Jong out with a bruised foot, so Yaya stepped into his defensive midfielder role. They looked a little shaky at the back, but not enough for Bolton to steal a point. Tevez and Johnson made appearances late in the second half, leaving (a presumably seething) Balotelli on the bench.

At Spurs on Sunday, but before that there's Thursday's Champions League group draw. Never followed this live; now I will have to. Also, the Nasri deal is expected to be done in the next day or so. A start in the second leg of Arsenal's playoff this Wednesday would leave him cup-tied.

#15 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Nasri deal finally completed.

#16 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

If Mancini will ever shed playing with 2 defensive midfielders, you'd have a hell of a team.

-------------Toure--------------
-------Nasri------Silva---------
Winger------Dzeko-----------Aguero

#17 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

If Mancini will ever shed playing with 2 defensive midfielders, you'd have a hell of a team.

I doubt we'll ever see it from Roberto, but it's OK. At least he's playing 4-4-2 now. Will likely be something more like

Richards --- Kompany --- Lescott --- Clichy/Kolarov
------------------- Barry/De Jong
----Nasri --- Milner/Toure --- Silva
-------Aguero/Tevez --- Dzeko/Balotelli

With Milner and Barry filling between Nasri/De Jong/Toure in rotation. Adam Johnson has to be the biggest loser of the Nasri signing, as he's likely a sub most of the season with an occasional start out wide. I think this will be the preferred formation in "big" games, with De Jong protecting the back 4 and Yaya free to move forward. Alhtough with that said, against your squad and maybe Chelsea, I don't know if Mancini won't opt for Barry over Nasri for the extra defensive pressure, but I can't imagine buying a player like Nasri only to sit him against the biggest clubs. Silva playing outside but realistically coming inside toward more of a trequarista role in front of the strikers, and Nasri likely doing the same. Both fullbacks are clearly ordered to charge forward to provide width, which is at least theoretically made up for by De Jong staying back, effectively trying to turn it into a 3-5-2 in attack, likely leaving City a bit exposed on the wings.

Of course, Mancini may opt for the 4-5-1 against the bigger squads, leaving Nasri on but bringing on probably Barry for the 2nd striker. Actually that's probably what he does in the biggest games, and will sub on the 2nd striker if a goal is needed.

Edited by teddykgb, 23 August 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#18 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

I wouldnt expect any manager to play that team and get torn up, to me the strongest team is putting Silva at your "winger spot" and playing Nasri with yaya and De Jong

#19 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

I actually think Silva does the most damage centrally, as would Nasri.

Interesting article on Tevez and third party ownership.

#20 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

I actually think Silva does the most damage centrally, as would Nasri.

Interesting article on Tevez and third party ownership.

Probably right, but can you have two attacking mids who play little defense both playing centrally? Certainly one of them needs to play wide, especially given how Yaya isn't even an anchor midfielder, you'd be taking away his strengths.

#21 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you.

#22 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Gotta say I thought City beating a mostly first choice Spurs side on the road was more impressive, either way, Chelsea is clearly watching this two horse race from the outside for now

Edited by Snakebauer007, 28 August 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#23 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well played. But at least the best striker out of Manchester was a Blue yesterday. Baby steps...

#24 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Owen fucking Hargeaves. My heart is broken.

#25 bosox4283

• 2,567 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'm an Atletico fan, and I miss Kun Aguero. What a talent. With high-caliber players around him to finally take advantage of his talent, it is not surprising that he is scoring so many goals. This is why he left Atleti -- he was heads and shoulders above his teammates.

#26 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

It's funny reading the online reactions from fans, folks complaining about stuff like how a front three of Ageuro, Tevez, and Silva really City at a deficiency height-wise. True, of course, but who fucking cares. They could have scored seven today -- which is particularly amazing when you consider that City left the Premier League's top scorer (heading into the weekend) on the bench. I think the only weak link on attack was Johnson, who was either trying to do too much or not on the same page with his teammates.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, particularly when you consider starts like Chelsea's last season, but does City lose in the Premiership between now and Oct. 23, the date of the Mother of All Battles with United? They've got Fulham, Everton, Blackburn, and Villa.

In off-the-pitch news, club CEO Garry Cook stepped down following a particularly bizarre email scandal involving Nedum Onuoha. Cook was one of the last links to the Shinawatra regime.

#27 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

A breakdown of every European match the club has ever participated in.

#28 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

So a terrific free kick from Kolarov earns City a 1-1 draw in its Champion League debut. Napoli was absolutely superb at the back and got their goal on the counter. No real surprises there, I suppose. I thought Toure had his best game of the season. He cleaned up any short clearances from the back, won possession time and again, and looked particularly menacing the few times he was going forward.

#29 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

does City lose in the Premiership between now and Oct. 23, the date of the Mother of All Battles with United? They've got Fulham, Everton, Blackburn, and Villa.

Uh ...

#30 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,396 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

Well, they didn't lose.

#31 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Just one of those games. City had control until about the hour mark and just completely lost it. I'm not as disheartened by it as many fans are, these things happen and they absolutely dominated most of the match. I hate seeing tiredness used as an excuse, but when you see essentially the same team as midweek just fade at 60 minutes you can't help but wonder if it had an affect.

The only real concern I have right now is the wastefulness on some amazing chances. You're always going to miss some good and even great chances, but if there's any red flag with City right now to me it is that they need to bury some of the great opportunities they're creating. As a squad, they've been all over every team they've played this year, but they're still struggling to unlock a set defense. In a lot of ways, a team probably has to learn to do this, and city was much more of a countering team in the past seasons, so the growing pains are probably expected, but that final step of becoming a great team like Barca or even (blech) United is being able to turn all that possession and pressure into Goals when the other team is getting 10 men back and trying to keep everything in front of them. A goal or two forces them out of the shell and opens up for more goals, so we've just got to learn how to accomplish this consistently in order to really complete "the leap" this team seems to be making.

A draw at Fulham isn't a great result, but is nothing to be ashamed about either. Looks like Hargreaves will get his first burn in the mid week and hopefully we'll see a lot of changes.

On a personal note, I'm buying tickets today to see City against Villa at CoMS, then going to try to find my way into the Champions league game against villareal at midweek. Words can't express how pumped I am for this trip, although it looks like i'm going to be sitting at the top of the stadium even for the PL match.

#32 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I hate seeing tiredness used as an excuse, but when you see essentially the same team as midweek just fade at 60 minutes you can't help but wonder if it had an affect.

Same here. Meanwhile, Fulham had a Europa League match on Thursday, which meant players had less time to recover than City's squad, and yet the Cottagers looked stronger in the second half.

Well, they didn't lose.

But it sure felt like they did. Expectations, the bar has been raised, etc., etc.

#33 SoxFanInCali

• 6,396 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

I didn't see the match, but there are reports that Tevez refused to enter the game today.

EDIT: Now seeing tweets that Mancini has stated in postgame interviews that Tevez will never play for City again.

Edited by SoxFanInCali, 27 September 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#34 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, apparently Tevez refused and Dzeko threw a tantrum as he came off as well, which has been too frequent under this manager in just a few seasons (Milner, Silva, Johnson, Dzeko have all done this now, just from my recollection).

The scoreline today doesn't really reflect the match, or the 1st half at least. City had 2 good penalty appeals rejected by the ref, plus a phantom foul that led to Munich's 2nd goal. The ref is hardly at fault, the defending was atrocious, but there was a bit of bad luck piled onto a bad day. Easily could have gone the other way earlier in the match, but it did worringly get away from City for pretty much the entire 2nd half.

#35 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

I don't have a problem with players being upset that they were subbed. You are supposed to want to play. But its hard to see how Tevez will play for City again.

The club stuck by Mancini when he missed the Champions League in his first year, so I don't think they'll undermine him now.

As a fan, do you want him to play again?

#36 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

No, not at all. I didn't really want him back in the 1st team at all, to be honest. Not that I necessarily begrudge him the transfer request, it's quite silly but it's his desire, but it just seems like what we're seeing was inevitable, really. You take a player who doesn't want to be here and you combine him with a manager who seems to be kind of a dick...just seems like this was bound to explode so I would have preferred they just kept him away. Now, after this, you just have to back the manager or sack him, there really is no middle ground.

In my heart of hearts, I don't think Mancini is the manager to put this team over the top. As I said in my last post, there's just been too much griping from the players about him. Now I have no doubt that any single pampered, overpaid, overinflated ego posing superstar might bristle at a new sherriff in charge. Even a few. But at this point you can build quite a long list of players who haven't gotten on with Mancini, and with new arrivals like Dzeko and even Silva to an extent also showing signs of discord, I start to have concerns.

That said, this isn't the incident you choose to make that move, and in fact it may delay it. It would send all the wrong messages to the team about both the manager and your executive staff. In reality, if Tevez really just had a problem with the manager, he's backed them into a corner that can't possibly result in the outcome he'd desire. Nonetheless, I don't think this is really about Mancini, anyway, not this incident, and the manager is absolutely right to be furious with him for refusing to come on and play. Just have to hope and pray all this nonsense doesn't infect players like Silva, Aguero, etc. With Aguero a particular problem to me as he's a countryman of Tevez and might even be friendly with him as a result, and certainly could get tapped up by any number of squads after just one year in Manchester if he finds himself not feeling his new environment.

#37 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

After scoring last week, Balotelli made a beeline for Mancini and gave him a nice, big, groin-on-groin hug -- the latest in what has been 1,000 on-field moments involving Balotelli that I have dissected and obsessed over in an attempt to figure out what it means regarding future performances. I guess what I'm saying is, he looked very happy after that goal and a happy Balotelli is good for everybody.

He scored again today in a 4-0 win over Blackburn. City are still tied with United for points, but have closed the goal-differential gap.

Meanwhile, Tevez was suspended for two weeks by the club. There's been talk of a loan deal or a return to the team, where he would train with the reserves and not make any appearances with the senior club. (I love this this story. A second-tier Northern Irish club contacted City and offered to take the striker on loan. Awesome.) Mancini isn't talking about the incident; at his usual press conference on Friday journalists were reportedly told beforehand not to ask any question with the word "Tevez" in it.

#38 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

http://l.yimg.com/a/...llboard_war.jpg

#39 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

The latest on Tevez:

The club have already contacted the players' union, the Professional Footballers Association, to give it advance notice they want to invoke a punishment of a scale that, under guidelines introduced in 2005, will need the organisation's approval. This is likely to take the form of an additional four-week suspension to add to the fortnight Tevez has already served, plus a fine of six weeks' wages. Tevez's weekly salary of 250,000 would make it the largest a footballer in Britain has ever received. The striker intends to lodge an immediate appeal, to be held internally, and, if the case against him is upheld, he will take the matter to a second appeal via a specially convened panel organised by the Premier League. The potential delays, with legal representatives on both sides, mean it may not be until the end of the year before the process is finished.

Carlos Tevez faces record fine after Manchester City find him guilty

City host Villa this weekend and then it's two massive matches in the span of six days: at home to Villarreal in the Champions League and then the Manchester Derby. With City mustering just one point through two group-stage matches, Villarreal is a must-win. I'd be happy with a point at Old Trafford.

#40 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm leaving tonight to fly to Manchester for both the Villa game and the Villareal game. Agreed on Villareal, a loss or even a draw and the CL is essentially over, at the very least will make us require some help. A win keeps us in the hunt, an absolutely must have game. Will be interesting to see how Mancini juggles the lineup, the strikers in particular, with Balotelli and Aguero both apparently less than 100%. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 4-5-1 with Dzeko alone up top against Villa. Will be fun to see the reception Given gets from City fans, will surely be positive, but I wonder how extensive.

#41 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 162 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

Have fun, teddy. I want a picture in front of the Salford Lads Club entrance.

I'm reading that Aguero should be healthy for Villarreal and Balotelli for Villa. But I believe Mario is still suspended for the Champions League clash (sorta weird that Europa League red cards carry over to the CL; I could understand it going the other way). I'd have to double-check. Damn international breaks make me forget all this shit.

#42 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Mario with a beauty and a good win all around. Sole possession of 1st heading into the derby, can't ask for much more than that.

Was up in the third tier and got a great panorama of the stadium, will be in first row against villareal, I may need three changes of underwear sitting in that seat

#43 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

They have a stadium tour you can take?

Loved the Old Trafford one.

#44 teddykgb

• 3,650 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

They did have a stadium tour, which I went on, and it was wonderful. Into the dressing room, on the pitch, sat in Roberto's chair, etc.

What an incredible way to steal a victory in the CL. Was an amazing experience to watch live, one I won't soon forget, and the elation at that improbable last second goal was enormous. I have no idea what Villareal was trying to do, spending the whole game seemingly intent on time wasting. At 1-0, it was a curious strategy, did they really expect to seal a win for 70+ minutes that way? At 1-1, it was simply indefensible, why on earth is a team in last place of the Cl group playing for a draw? Who did that benefit? One of the things that was predicted, quite rightly, going into the game was that both teams needed a win for continued qualification hopes, so they should have been quite offensive. Instead Villareal showed up and poached one, then spent the next 85 minutes time wasting. Absolutely bizarre. Dzeko had a vintage 2010 season performance, a really bad day at the office, hope he can rebound back into his early season form. At this point I'm most concerned about Nasri, who has been absolutely invisible for 3 weeks after such an impressive debut.

The win against Villa was a good job of taking care of business. Villa had been a bit tough thus far, at least to get 3 points from, so good work and moving ahead to a big weekend clash in the league. I'm much more comfortable being 2 up, where even a loss leaves us only 1 point behind, than staring at the possibility of United being able to open up a gap. With 2 wins this week, it's a bit much to hope for City to go to United and take all 3...this just feels like one of those situations where a draw is the best I should hope for.

I have a bunch of pics and what not that I haven't uploaded, if anyone cares, although I apologize LTF as I didn't get to many places that weren't the stadium on such a short stay. I did, however, get a glimpse of Old Trafford when I took the missus down to the shopping mall on the Quays (she was a good sport about going, i had to give the non gamedays up). I'm honestly not sure if it's been said or not but OT looks like a gay spaceship, which I definitely didn't expect.

#45 SoxFanInCali

• 6,396 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Apparently Mario Balotelli set his house on fire when he and his friends were shooting off fireworks in his bathroom.

You know you're got a fun squad when Carlos Tevez is at best your second craziest striker.

#46 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,597 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

Apparently Mario Balotelli set his house on fire when he and his friends were shooting off fireworks in his bathroom.

You know you're got a fun squad when Carlos Tevez is at best your second craziest striker.

Tevez's shenanigans and are surly and greedy; Mario's shenanigans are silly and weird.

I saw the headline and thought "the legend grows". Dirty Tackle @ Yahoo has a neat summary of the Ballotelli experience. Dude is awesome. OF COURSE he set his own house on fire.

Edited by soxfan121, 23 October 2011 - 07:44 AM.

#47 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,164 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

After that goal, Balotelli's torturing Man U to the point that Evra's going to have to pretend he said mean things to him.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 23 October 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#48 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Well done.

I think I may top of the SOSH Fantasy Premier league having Dzeko and Silva on my team...

#49 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

and just to show you I don't take losses as well as the post above:

City finally showed the Premier League how to beat United.

Invest 600 million pounds.

#50 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,164 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

How much did Ferguson pay for players who weren't in the starting XI today?