Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

RMPS Adopt-A-Prospect: Dougie Hamilton

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16478 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Enter Dougie Hamilton:

Posted Image

Born: June 17, 1993
Toronto, Ontario

6'5, 193 lbs, shoots Right

Drafted in the 1st round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, #9 overall by Boston from the Niagara IceDogs.

Spent two years in the OHL:

'09-'10: 64 GP, 3 G, 13 A, 16 P, 36 PIM, -8 (regular season); 5 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, 4 PIM (postseason)
'10-'11: 67 GP, 12 G, 46 A, 58 P, 77 PIM, +35 (regular season); 14 GP, 4 G, 12 A, 16 P, 16 PIM (postseason)

Kirk's case for Dougie Hamilton:

Strengths: Sizeable frame with long limbs; grew about two inches and added about 10 pounds of muscle last summer-- developing on an impressive physical curve, with another expected jump when he turns 18 in June. Very good skater with strong, power-generating stride and the ability to cover a lot of ground. Good footwork and directional change ability despite his size and high center of gravity. A right-shooting defenseman who generates very good power and torque on his shot.
Makes a pretty strong, crisp first pass and can help with the transition game. Good physical presence: will use his size to staple opponents to the boards. Not a huge open-ice hitter, but initiates contact and embraces the tighter-checking situations. Bright, intelligent kid who carries himself well and is a good teammate.

Weaknesses: Defense is a work in progress: switched from forward to defense at about 13-14 years of age, so is still figuring out the nuances. Prone to trying to do too much in his own end, can get to running around-- needs to keep things simple.

Style Compares to: Jay Bouwmeester. Although not as outstanding a skater as the Calgary Flames standout, Hamilton moves very well for someone with his size.

Hamilton compared himself to Bouwmeester as well - Chiarelli compared him to Rob Blake, I've also heard some Brent Burns and Tyler Myers comparisons.

"Hamilton...I love that kid. He's a two-way beast. He'll nail you, play physically in the defensive end, he can take the puck and go end-to-end with it. He can quarterback the power play. I think he's actually better as the triggerman on the power play-- he's got a big shot. He's approaching Larsson's level. Larsson's been there a couple of years, whereas Hamilton's development curve is heading straight up. So, Hamilton, I'd be shocked if he made it out of the top-eight picks this year."- Kyle Woodlief, Chief Scout and Publisher, Red Line Report; December 2010

Bust factor: Low to medium; Hamilton will play in the NHL; he's too big and mobile not to at least reach that level. But, the team who drafts him does so thinking they are getting a solid No. 2 maybe even a No. 1 someday. So, if he fails to live up to those expectations, depending on where he gets picked, Hamilton could be a bit of a disappointment someday. However, given his intelligence and work ethic, it's tough to bet against him.

Hamilton was ranked #5 on the ISS top 10 and #2 (behind Gabriel Landeskog) among HF's draft-eligble OHL players - here's HF's write-up:

2. Doug Hamilton, D
6'4, 195 pounds, Niagara IceDogs
(ISS rank 6; CSS final rank 4; CSS mid-term rank 7; 2nd amongst OHLers)

Hamilton has the size and skating ability that makes scouts -- and general managers -- drool. Blessed with an above-average offensive touch, Hamilton could have coasted into this draft. However, determined to make an impact, he put in extra time with assistant coach and former NHL blueliner Mike Van Ryn to take his defensive game to the next level.

He finished the season with 12 goals and 46 assists during the regular season, bumping up his production in the post-season to a better-than-point-per-game pace. Most impressively, he improved from a minus-eight in his rookie season to a stellar plus-35 this year.

Hamilton has the advantage of size and he's shown a willingness to throw it around. He also still has plenty of room on his frame to fill out and become an even-more imposing presence on the blue line.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 27 June 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#2 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 8589 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

He looks like a Lannister.

#3 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4554 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Honestly i really wish they traded him for Robyn Regehr

#4 Manzivino

• 2001 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hamilton had 4 PP assists tonight in an 8-6 loss, pushing his early season totals to 2-9-11 through 6 games.

#5 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

He has been dominant on the PP. Including his goal tonight, 9 out of 12 points have come a man up. He looks poised to put together a monster offensive season.

edit: Adds an ES assist, make that 9 of 13.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 13 October 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#6 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

With a goal and an assist tonight, Hamilton has 6-14-20 in 11 games to lead all OHL defensemen. The 2nd highest has 16 points in 14 games. Dougie is killing it this year.

#7 Manzivino

• 2001 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

And of special interest to the Bruins, he's also second overall in the AHL in PP points with 4-9-13 (leader has 4-10-14). He's looking like the top-flight PP QB this organization desperately needs.

I only wish he didn't play on the same team as his brother, the Niagara scoring summaries are confusing as hell.

#8 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Ho-hum, goal and two assists tonight, 7-16-23 in 12 games. Now 5th in the OHL in scoring. At this pace he would surpass last season's point total at about the halfway mark of the season. Crazy.

#9 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image

#10 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

Amazing to recall how much anxiety there was over this pick. First it was over Toronto winning too much and dropping too low, leaving us at 9 in an 8 player draft. Then there were the rumors of preferring Beaulieu to Murphy. Then the Ryan Ellis trade that wasn't. Even after landing Hamilton, I probably had like 2% anxiety wondering if Murphy would have been better because he's a true puck mover. This offensive explosion combined with his defensive potential has completely erased all of the anxiety I might ever have had about that draft pick.

edit: Of course, that anxiety has been transferred to tracking Colborne. At least there's that whole Cup thing to kind of show for it.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 26 October 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#11 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

OHL Defenseman of the Month

#12 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Good, now trade him for Shea Weber.

#13 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8460 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Good, now trade him for Shea Weber.

I'm not sure if we could do this for cap reasons. But, if the numbers can work AND a long term extension for Weber is agreed to before the deal, then I'd be fine with it. (Although the price would certainly be higher than just Hamilton, it would still be a good deal). However, I think I'd rather keep Hamilton than deal him for one partial season of Weber.

#14 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Dougie has been named one of the captains for Team OHL in the Subway Super Series against the Russian Juniors. They play two games, one tomorrow and again on Monday. Spooner has an A for both games, and Khokhlachev will be playing for Team Russia tomorrow night only.

#15 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Sweet end-to-end goal against Brampton, starts at 0:31

#16 Franklin Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thru 24 games, 11 goals and 26 assists. Phil Kessel, the gift that keeps on giving!

#17 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

He's one goal away from last year's total (12 in 67 games) and is on pace for about 30 goals and 100 points.

Clearly he isn't simming through Be-A-Pro mode.

#18 Scoops Bolling

• 2771 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Has there been any news regarding whether or not Hamilton has put on any weight this year? With his frame, you'd think he should get up to the 220-225 lb range to be most effective at the NHL level.

#19 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8049 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

He's one goal away from last year's total (12 in 67 games) and is on pace for about 30 goals and 100 points.

I loled.

#20 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Also, the OHL website has finally started putting his and his brother's first initials on the scoresheet so we can tell them apart.

#21 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

11-30-41 through 26 games after three assists last night. Of the top 8 scorers in the OHL, only Dougie(5th) and Nail(3rd) are '93 birthdays, and the rest are '92s or '91s. Yakupov is about a month younger than Khokhlachev so he just missed out on being draft-eligible.

#22 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

Voted OHL Defenseman of the Month...again.

#23 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

Standing above my kitchen sink at 3 am, using it as a plate for the way-too-big piece of cold pizza, a question came to my mind: is Dougie Hamilton, along with Adam Larsson, the best defensive prospect in hockey?

#24 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

If you limit the criteria to defensive prospects not currently playing in the NHL it makes Hamilton sound even more ridiculously awesomer.

#25 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Per the Bruins twitter feed, Hamilton has been signed to a 3-year ELC.

#26 Carmine Hose

• 3448 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Can he still play the 8-10 games and get sent back to the OHL?

#27 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Next year he can, yeah. He can't come up to play this year.

#28 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5814 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Next year he can, yeah. He can't come up to play this year.

Then can, however, put him in Providence once his season is over, correct?

#29 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5579 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Then can, however, put him in Providence once his season is over, correct?

No, he's still too young.

#30 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

No, he's still too young.

Knight and Spooner both played three games for Providence on an ATO (amateur try-out) after their teams were done last season. Hamilton will be able to do the same.

#31 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5579 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

It's quite possible I'm wrong (probable) that I'm wrong, but I really thought there was an age limit.

#32 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

There is an age limit. He can't play in Providence. You can circumvent the rules a bit with the ATO's, but I believe there is a game limit to the ATO's.

I would think that since he signed his pro contract, he cannot sign an ATO. Both Spooner and Knight had not signed their ELC's yet.

#33 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

There is an age limit. He can't play in Providence. You can circumvent the rules a bit with the ATO's, but I believe there is a game limit to the ATO's.

I would think that since he signed his pro contract, he cannot sign an ATO. Both Spooner and Knight had not signed their ELC's yet.

That's a good point. Not sure of the rules on that one. Either way, that they decided to do this now tells me that he's a legit contender for a spot in Boston next year.

#34 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8460 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

It's pretty routine for junior eligible players to play in the AHL after their junior season is complete. I would imagine that if Providence is still playing when Dougie finishes up, he'll join.

The Bruins may have a tough decision on Hamilton next year - if he is in a position where another year of junior hockey won't do him a whole lot of good, but he isn't really ready to play on an NHL contender.

#35 Manzivino

• 2001 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

Age eligibility for the AHL is 18; it is a separate agreement between the NHL and CHL that players in junior can't play in the AHL until they've either played 4 seasons in the CHL or turned 20 by December 31st of the season in question. This agreement only applies while the player's junior team is still playing, which is why as EJ states it is routine for a lot of prospects to play in the AHL after their junior teams are eliminated. ATOs don't circumvent these rules at all. Spooner and Knight could have just as easily signed their ELCs instead of ATOs and played the final few games in Providence. I believe they went the ATO route instead of just signing ELCs because the Bruins were up against the organizational 50 contract limit until the 2010-11 league year officially ended; this is just speculation on my part, but they signed their ELCs in July and things like slide years are based on the calendar year/player age at the time of signing not the league year, so that's the logical explanation.

So after their junior teams are out of the playoffs, all of Hamilton, Spooner and Knight will be free to play out the string in Providence, as will Khokhlachev and Camara if they sign ELCs or ATOs. Unfortunately, Providence is terrible so any of the prospects who go deep into the second round of the OHL playoffs will likely miss the end of Providence's season on April 15th.

#36 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Dougie's contract will be a $1.525m AAV - pretty low if you ask me. Based on the bonus structure (tiny bonus in the first year of $212,500), it looks like he was willing to give a bit for a better shot at making the team at age 19 and getting to free agency a year earlier.

#37 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

As Manzivino alluded to in the Spooner thread, here's Hamilton getting the best of Sarnia's Craig Hottot in a 4-2 victory:

Dougie has now posted the following line:

31 GP - 12 G - 34 A - 46 P (58 in 67 GP last year) - 35 PIM

#38 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10727 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I love this guy, even incorporated the PJ Stock wave when heading to the locker room. Fantastic.

#39 Franklin Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'd take Dougie over Corvo in a heartbeat.

#40 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'd take Dougie over Corvo in a heartbeat.

I agree. I hope Boychuk is extended or upgraded and Dougie plays with Seidenberg with Corvo being let go. He's been ok but a disappointment on the whole.

#41 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Also of note - Dougie is still on pace for 100 points and just under 30 goals for a 67 game season.

#42 Manzivino

• 2001 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hamilton has been suspended for 10 games for a check to the head. Video from the OHL website.

#43 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Not a clean hit by any means, but the length seems harsh. I don't think he was targeting the head but he has to be careful as a taller player, especially when the smaller player is skating around with his head down like that.

#44 yeahlunchbox

• 146 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

His arm flying up and out makes it look real bad, I would like another angle because it's tough to tell just how bad the actual contact is, but I doubt that angle exists if they didn't include it.

#45 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

Should have traded the bum for Regehr when we had the chance.

#46 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7570 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Not a clean hit by any means, but the length seems harsh. I don't think he was targeting the head but he has to be careful as a taller player, especially when the smaller player is skating around with his head down like that.

The OHL (rightly) has a much harsher set of penalties for hits to the head. 10-game suspensions aren really like 10 in the NHL.

#47 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Two assists in his first game back from suspension.

#48 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Still the OHL's leading scorer among defensemen by four points despite his ten game break - and that's on top of his WJC absence.

#49 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

Still the OHL's leading scorer among defensemen by four points despite his ten game break - and that's on top of his WJC absence.

This is pretty amazing. Five point lead over #2 Cody Ceci, who has played thirteen more games. Even better is that he has a fifteen point advantage over Ryan Murphy in just one more game. He's two points shy of his career high of 58 points, which came in 67 games last year (he's played 38 this year). Just awesome any way you slice it.

I know there's more to it than points, but he's pretty clearly going to be at the point of "nothing more to learn down there" come training camp.

#50 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:11 AM

RIP M-Bone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users