Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Chelsea 2011-12: Mourinho 2: Villas-Boas Boogaloo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

#1 TheJodyReedExperience

• 139 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Big news out of the Bridge today with Chelsea paying the $15mil Euros to release Villas-Boas from Porto to take Carlo's chair.

http://www.guardian....s-resigns-porto

This might be the guy to bring attractive and successful football to Chelsea. Personally, I don't really care how attractive it is, I just want to see Abramovich give a guy a few years to create a culture because here we are 4 or 5 years later and this still feels like a Mourinho team.

On the heels of this news are rumors of either Hulk or Falcao coming along with Villas-Boas, but that could just be the broadsheets making the easy connections. I know Drogba's 33 and getting up there, but I don't want to see him go and especially somewhere else in the Prem. I have nightmares of him terrorizing Chelsea in another jersey.

It'll be interesting to see if bringing in Villas-Boas changes the transfer targets going forward. Spurs sure don't seem like they're going to give Modric up willingly and I don't blame them. He is exactly what Chelsea needs going forward, an engine tobring play upfield. During the extended slump last season the lack of link play between the mid and forwards was killing them.

Edited by TheJodyReedExperience, 21 June 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

Big news out of the Bridge today with Chelsea paying the $15mil Euros to release Villas-Boas from Porto to take Carlo's chair.

http://www.guardian....s-resigns-porto

This might be the guy to bring attractive and successful football to Chelsea. Personally, I don't really care how attractive it is, I just want to see Abramovich give a guy a few years to create a culture because here we are 4 or 5 years later and this still feels like a Mourinho team.

On the heels of this news are rumors of either Hulk or Falcao coming along with Villas-Boas, but that could just be the broadsheets making the easy connections. I know Drogba's 33 and getting up there, but I don't want to see him go and especially somewhere else in the Prem. I have nightmares of him terrorizing Chelsea in another jersey.

It'll be interesting to see if bringing in Villas-Boas changes the transfer targets going forward. Spurs sure don't seem like they're going to give Modric up willingly and I don't blame them. He is exactly what Chelsea needs going forward, an engine tobring play upfield. During the extended slump last season the lack of link play between the mid and forwards was killing them.

He's a Mourinho assistant, so it won't have a drastic change in culture. Hi steams are more fluid in attack, but still very rigid and organized in defense, and his planning is just as meticulous.

Hulk is exactly what we need, we haven't had a great right sided player since we were swapping Duff and Robben between the two wings. Falcao is exactly what we don't need, playing a 4-3-3, he and Torres are too similar.

AVB favors 3 skilled+fluid mids in the trio(as opposed to an out and out anchor defense mid), so getting somone like Modric, Sneijder, Moutinho, would be key. Though to be fair the poor play from midfield to forward was due to lampard's injury and subsequent poor form on return, and to ancelotti's unwillingness to play mcEachran over anyone(including Zhirkov out of position), or benching out of form bigger names for guys actually performing.

I honestly do not see Drogba sticking around, but I doubt he ends up in the Prem. Torres, Lukaku, Sturridge, Kalou and 2 signings for the front 6 would be my best guess, we'll see

I can see Bosingwa staying now as well, and I dont really see a need to mess with the defense as is.

The club was talking about 3-4 signings, for me 2 attackers, 1 mid, and a rightback if the Boz decides to leave

#3 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11055 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Here's a fun story on him from 2004. Did anyone know he managed the British Virgin Islands when he was 21? http://www.independe...ars-552798.html

#4 TheJodyReedExperience

• 139 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

Villas-Boas announced that he's bringing in Roberto Di Matteo as his assistant yesterday. This one caught be off guard as Di Matteo had a few offers from other teams to become their head manager, nice to see him coming home to Chelsea. I hadn't heard him mentioned as a possibility, but I'm also a fool. Presumably, Emenalo will be moved up within the organization now that he's been ousted as the assistant manager, I'm not really sure how he got there anyways. The general consensus seems to be that he's Roman's guy at ground level to keep him informed.

What's even better is that it seems to herald that Villas-Boas will be bringing his comprehensive attacking style from Porto to Chelsea. I was of the opinion that he was going to play a little more conservative because that's what the current roster dictates on a talent level. This makes sense because Roman's bugaboo aside from not winning the Champions League has always been Chelsea not playing the most attractive football out there. We won't really know if this is the case until they bring in some true wingers, especially so if they're going to play the forward minded Porto 4-3-3, but I'm really excited about the prospect of an electric Chelsea squad.

#5 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

Villas-Boas announced that he's bringing in Roberto Di Matteo as his assistant yesterday. This one caught be off guard as Di Matteo had a few offers from other teams to become their head manager, nice to see him coming home to Chelsea. I hadn't heard him mentioned as a possibility, but I'm also a fool. Presumably, Emenalo will be moved up within the organization now that he's been ousted as the assistant manager, I'm not really sure how he got there anyways. The general consensus seems to be that he's Roman's guy at ground level to keep him informed.

What's even better is that it seems to herald that Villas-Boas will be bringing his comprehensive attacking style from Porto to Chelsea. I was of the opinion that he was going to play a little more conservative because that's what the current roster dictates on a talent level. This makes sense because Roman's bugaboo aside from not winning the Champions League has always been Chelsea not playing the most attractive football out there. We won't really know if this is the case until they bring in some true wingers, especially so if they're going to play the forward minded Porto 4-3-3, but I'm really excited about the prospect of an electric Chelsea squad.

Not really worried about positive football,Chelsea have scored 172 goals the last two season, just win.

#6 TheJodyReedExperience

• 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

Not really worried about positive football,Chelsea have scored 172 goals the last two season, just win.

That's a really misleading stat you're relying on. In 09/10 Chelsea scored 103 goals, a Premier League record, but in 10/11 that dropped to 69 goals. Dropping over a third of your scoring production is worrisome at best and not something to ignore if you're looking to win. In the 10/11 season they also failed to score at all in 9 matches which is a huge jump from only 1 scoreless match the year before. Chelsea in 09/10 was amazing in the way they could stack up goals, but that squad while intact is old (Drogba/Lampard/Anelka) or a full season removed from playing at their top level (Essien). The lack of winning seems to be somewhat attributable to the lack of scoring or formation innovation.

What it basically boiled down to was the play was extremely narrow and service from the midfield going forward was stagnant in that cold stretch mid-season where all of the scoring dried up. Teams would load up the center of the pitch and Chelsea would end up stranding their forwards, though the entire inconsistency from week to week with Torres/Drogba didn't help at all. Despite that terrible sputter mid-season they still tied for least goals conceded in the Prem, the defense is clearly not where the improvements need to come from.

If AVB brings in some true wingers and a midfield engine in the Moutinho/Modric mold it will at the very least force the fullbacks to play wider and open up some lanes for passes. We need this even more now because Torres, while fantastic when on, is absolutely a player that needs constant service to be at that level unlike Drogba who can get himself going. I'm not saying we need the beautiful football of Barca, but we do need a lot more fluidity and a nice side effect is easiness on the eyes.

Edited by TheJodyReedExperience, 30 June 2011 - 03:48 AM.

#7 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Disappointing 0-0 start, but playing against the most negative team in the League and Halsey having a shocking performance, still should have won. Torres and Alex by far the best players on the pitch, Cech, Ramires, and Mikel were solid. Kalouda was absolutely woeful, how those to start(and Kalou lasts 75 mins) is fairly baffling. Our problems out wide are not magically going away, neither is the lack of creativity from the center.

1 game, hopefully AVB learned a lot about the players

#8 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

A lot of reports flying around that Mata is a done deal and he's getting shirt10, meaning Benayoun is off to Spurs, and Modric is on his way, interesting.

#9 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 5595 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Not saying you are wrong, but there seems to be a couple of leaps in that logic that I'm not following.

#10 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Not saying you are wrong, but there seems to be a couple of leaps in that logic that I'm not following.

Not really my logic, just more reports being read, Spurs accepting a Modric bid was widely reported too, we had offered cash plus Yossi, only seemed logical if he's leaving, not sure who else would be interested . Again, it's the silly season I dont believe anything until the player actually shows up at The Bridge, but I am hopeful

#11 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

drooling

#12 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Interesting to see who comes by the deadline.

Don't get this ransom fee we are paying for Modric, rather move on to someone for less money(and by someone I definitely do not mean Meireles). After getting fleeced on that Torres deal, you would think TPTB learned their lesson but I guess not. The Manchester teams starting off in dominant fashion probably is adding to the desperation.

Really don't get the Perreira interest unless he is being deployed on the wing or taking Bosingwa's spot.

I would take this money and invest it instead for someone like Moutinho or Pjanic(sp?) and another attacker like Hazard or Jovcetic. Gonna be a long day tomorrow for sure

#13 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

A positive way to see this window: (ages)

Courtois (19), Lukaku (18), Mata (23), Romeu (20), Davila(20) and a quality midfielder who AVB is somewhat familiar with(Meireles) for depth.

Benayoun (31) leaves while McEachran (18) stays. Kakuta (20) and PVA (20) go on loan to Premier League clubs. Bertrand (21) stays in the senior squad.

#14 OilCanCoulter

• 660 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

A positive way to see this window: (ages)

Courtois (19), Lukaku (18), Mata (23), Romeu (20), Davila(20) and a quality midfielder who AVB is somewhat familiar with(Meireles) for depth.

Benayoun (31) leaves while McEachran (18) stays. Kakuta (20) and PVA (20) go on loan to Premier League clubs. Bertrand (21) stays in the senior squad.

How is AVB familiar w/ Meireles???

AVB got to Porto on 29JUL2010 and Raul signed w/ Liverpool on 29AUG2010. He did not appear in a fixture under Villas-Boas.

#15 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7271 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

What does the starting 11 look like now?

Suprised a team like Spurs or Roma didn't go after Anelka.

#16 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

What does the starting 11 look like now?

Suprised a team like Spurs or Roma didn't go after Anelka.

Don't think it looks much different.

Same midfield trio for now:Mikel, Ramires, Lampard
I think Sturridge Torres and Mata get the start in attack, the real question is when Luiz comes back, what happens. Does Ivan shift to Rightback or does Bosingwa keep his spot?

And at what point do we see Terry and Lampard become less than automatic starters? I dont think Meireles is good enough to unseat even declining Lampard, but Ivan and Luiz are nipping at JT's heels

#17 SoxFanInCali

• 5595 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

And at what point do we see Terry and Lampard become less than automatic starters? I dont think Meireles is good enough to unseat even declining Lampard, but Ivan and Luiz are nipping at JT's heels

Even if Lampard continues to start every game, I could definitely see him being subbed at around 70 minutes, with Meireles a good candidate to come in. He had a pretty quick impact as a sub for us in the Arsenal game, setting up both goals.

#18 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

Even if Lampard continues to start every game, I could definitely see him being subbed at around 70 minutes, with Meireles a good candidate to come in. He had a pretty quick impact as a sub for us in the Arsenal game, setting up both goals.

Yeah I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to see him out play Lamps or Ramires, and he provides something different from those guys anyways. I definitely prefer getting him as a 3ish year stop gap at that price than Modric for silly money

#19 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 11987 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Absolutely dominant performance for the first 80 minutes at Sunderland today. Mata had a particularly nice game but it really looked like a low-round Cup game, with Sunderland playing the role of outmatched Npower2 squad.

#20 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

Absolutely dominant performance for the first 80 minutes at Sunderland today. Mata had a particularly nice game but it really looked like a low-round Cup game, with Sunderland playing the role of outmatched Npower2 squad.

Yeah and I wasn't impressed with the lack of chances created despite the possession.

#21 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 10263 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Fernando Torres - a lengthy run of really bad luck or a total waste of resources at this point?

#22 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Fernando Torres - a lengthy run of really bad luck or a total waste of resources at this point?

Not much of an alternative to turn to

#23 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Torres playing well, too bad he's gonna be on a suspension.

Ramires with 2 today, could have had 4, really like the lineup today besides Anelka and Bos. Pretty interesting that Lampard no only didn't start , but McEachran was tue midfielder who came on.
Drew Everton for the CC tough test for the youngsters and backups and a tough matchup with Valencia coming up

#24 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

We stink

#25 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

We're still shitty

#26 SoxFanInCali

• 5595 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

Even in the modern world of football where coaches are expected to win immediately or be fired, I'm still amazed at all the talk that AVB could be fired soon. When you pay 15 million to release him from his former team and hand him a 3 year contract, you've got to give him more than a few months, don't you?

I know the high defensive line has caused problems, but it still seems to me like the squad itself needs overhauling. Terry and Lampard aren't getting any younger, Sideshow David Luiz seems to be a man without a position, Torres looks broken, and Drogba and Anelka already have mentally checked out. Could any coach win a title with this squad?

#27 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Even in the modern world of football where coaches are expected to win immediately or be fired, I'm still amazed at all the talk that AVB could be fired soon. When you pay 15 million to release him from his former team and hand him a 3 year contract, you've got to give him more than a few months, don't you?

I know the high defensive line has caused problems, but it still seems to me like the squad itself needs overhauling. Terry and Lampard aren't getting any younger, Sideshow David Luiz seems to be a man without a position, Torres looks broken, and Drogba and Anelka already have mentally checked out. Could any coach win a title with this squad?

Yeah I actually really like AVB, and hope he can turn this into something. He is very stubborn in using his 433 with pressing and a highline, the problem is a lot of our players refuse to press and the majority of our defenders are too old, slow, or not good enough. The strikers are underproducing, and the only one who isn't, Sturridge is being deployed improperly.

Sturridge
Mata
Ramires
Meireles
Romeu
Ivan
Luiz
Mceachran
Bertrand
Cech

Keep these guys, figure the rest out.

I feel bad for Torres, a bit, I also feel like AVB feels saddled with him and has no real interest in building the attack around him like ROman wanted.

#28 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Chelsea are 1-5 the last 6 times Dowd was the referee, great coincidence

#29 Vinho Tinto

• 3532 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I actually really like AVB, and hope he can turn this into something. He is very stubborn in using his 433 with pressing and a highline, the problem is a lot of our players refuse to press and the majority of our defenders are too old, slow, or not good enough. The strikers are underproducing, and the only one who isn't, Sturridge is being deployed improperly.

I thought the genius of the hiring was that he was a guy who could guide them from the aging core that Mourinho assembled. Considering that he wasn't immediately given the blank checkbook that Ze received (Which I assume is due to the late period in the summer he was hired), it would be baffling to let him go before giving him a full transfer period and training camp.

#30 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

I thought the genius of the hiring was that he was a guy who could guide them from the aging core that Mourinho assembled. Considering that he wasn't immediately given the blank checkbook that Ze received (Which I assume is due to the late period in the summer he was hired), it would be baffling to let him go before giving him a full transfer period and training camp.

Agreed, and the revolving manager door never helps. My only worry is with Guus available, he is Roman's guy, I was hoping he would have come on with AVB as DOF, now I am more worried he will be the next manager.

#31 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

http://www.weaintgot...shine#storyjump

Outstanding read on how the players as a whole really mucked it up in that game

#32 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7271 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

AVB confirms Anelka and Alex have been transfer listed, meaning they will not train with the first team and go on in January.

They both have something left in their tank, so I'd imagine they'd get quite a few bids for them.

#33 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

AVB confirms Anelka and Alex have been transfer listed, meaning they will not train with the first team and go on in January.

They both have something left in their tank, so I'd imagine they'd get quite a few bids for them.

Dancing a celebratory dance! Kalou next please

#34 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Mata is now 2nd in assists for the League, considering the off form forwards he has been playing with this season, fairly impressive.

#35 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

#36 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 11987 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Good. Time to clean house. Neither of these guys can play in AVB's system. Based on how his buys are working out, Roman should give him a free hand to move Mikel, Bosingwa, Kalou and Malouda as well as Alex and Anelka. I'd add Lampard to the list but I don't think that's more trouble than it's worth right now. Maybe in July or next January after he doesn't play for half a season.

And yeah, Mata's a real joy to watch. Love his game, glad he got out of Spain.

#37 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Good. Time to clean house. Neither of these guys can play in AVB's system. Based on how his buys are working out, Roman should give him a free hand to move Mikel, Bosingwa, Kalou and Malouda as well as Alex and Anelka. I'd add Lampard to the list but I don't think that's more trouble than it's worth right now. Maybe in July or next January after he doesn't play for half a season.

And yeah, Mata's a real joy to watch. Love his game, glad he got out of Spain.

Agreed with all the players listed, would feel bad for Mikel as he is a great player and one I really like, but I dont think he'd stay to be 2nd choice, and Romeu is coming for his position.

Lampard(and Terry) should be gracefully reduced in role like Scholes/Giggs, not sold off.

#38 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Finally a string of good games and a bit of stability.

Great read on our young Def Mid

http://carefreechron...alls-start.html

#39 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Our defense concedes twice as many goals when Luiz is not in the lineup, FACT, miss him today.

Also AVB did not tell players to come over and celebrate with him, that crap is getting ridiculous.

#40 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Very impressed with City's quick ball movement, another class from us in the final 3rd. Like a counterattacking unstoppable rebel force

#41 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7271 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

Must be refreshing to see Sturridge do well. Young, English...the kind of player you can build with.

#42 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Must be refreshing to see Sturridge do well. Young, English...the kind of player you can build with.

I know he wants to play centrally, but we have no one on the right, hes adapted slightly

#43 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Is ManCity being media darlings, compared to us being universally hated when Roman bought us down to their style of play ? And the fact that Mourinho isn't in charge? Just a curiosity wouldn't mind hearing some other teams fans perspective

#44 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7271 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

LAMPARD!

Its a good thing Lescott is an idiot. I was coming in here to SLAM AVB for being a pussy.

#45 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

Surviving the first 30 and changing the defense was the key to the game. Very impressed with our midfield and unimpressed with yaya

#46 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hopefully AVB sees we don't have the personnel yet for the highline/press we look so much better win the defense dropped back and romeu roaming in front of them

#47 mikeford

• mikerolston

• 15871 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

On behalf of the Invincibles, THANKS DUDES!

#48 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

http://www.whoscored...Manchester-City

Go down and click on player positions, City's is mind blowing

#49 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Really hope that this trend on blaming the entire game on a non penalty call doesn't continue. What else did Clattenberg miss? The cleat rake on the back of Ramires leg, the body check by Barry, the kickouts, Kompany's second yellow, etc, and how Yaya never once got booked is miraculous.

#50 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1931 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Let the Torres rumors begin! -eye roll-

Also how did Redknapp escape punishment for remarks about the same ref(Foy) AVB got fined for?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users