Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Barcelona 2011-2012: Needs a clever title

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#51 BRS BC

• 88 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

The classico doesn't bring out the best behavior in any of the players, but even so Pepe manages to stand below the crowd. The hand stamp was clearly deliberate.

Ronaldo looked dangerous early, exploiting the space Alves left open and beating Pique with his speed. I don't understand why they switched him to the other side, where Abidal had no trouble taking him out of the game.

I'm hardly neutral, but Barca looks so much better than Real in their head to head matchups. It must be making Mourinho crazy.

#52 bosox4283

• 2374 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't know why Mourinho doesn't play football against them.

What I mean is that, even with a potent attack and dynamic team, he reverts back to a defensive-styled game. I would rather prefer to see Madrid come out and try to match Barca. I think they have the talent to play this game.

#53 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Mourinho doesn't play football against Barça because he's still traumatized by the 5-0 from fall 2010. Madrid is better now than they were then, but Mou's pride won't let him try. He'd rather lose by a goal than play a seriously attacking game and risk getting humiliated again.

Pepe is just a joke at this point. A good defender, but an almost comedically evil villain act. You can see him looking straight down at Messi's hand before stomping on it. When Wayne Rooney is calling you an idiot on Twitter and he's 100% correct, it may be time to reevaluate your lifestyle.

Finishing up a thread from before the Clasico, Jonathan Soriano is off to Salzburg. Best wishes to him.

#54 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

Pepe also had the one where he launched himself into the air screaming and grabbing his face, he was never touched, that was my favorite. He, Busquets, Pedro and Alves deserve each other. That said what should be the most celebrated club matchup in the world, is almost unwatchable at this point.

#55 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

. That said what should be the most celebrated club matchup in the world, is almost unwatchable at this point.

And until La Liga or UEFA or whoeever start handing out retroactive punishments for simulation based on video evidence, it's only going to get worse. If diving isn't penalized, it will happen. A lot of these players probably feel like they have to dive, just to maintain competitive balance. Sure, handing out retroactive cards and fines for diving is going to end up penalizing some innocent players, but at this point, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

#56 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Of course nobody in the world really cares about diving as much as Americans do, so I doubt anyone else really shares our sense of urgency about it. Maybe English people, I guess.

#57 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Eh, I dunno. On twitter it seems like every journalist, player, and fan (rightly) slams the way both teams act.

#58 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 12005 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Pepe also had the one where he launched himself into the air screaming and grabbing his face, he was never touched, that was my favorite. He, Busquets, Pedro and Alves deserve each other. That said what should be the most celebrated club matchup in the world, is almost unwatchable at this point.

Great rivalries often get to this stage; they know each other so well, and there's so much contempt, history, fan insanity and media hyperventilating that the quality of play cannot possibly keep pace. Red Sox - Yankees, post-2004 is an excellent example; even though most of the players have changed, the games are still "almost unwatchable", certainly when compared to games against other teams (where the vitriol and hyperventilation is absent).

That said, the point about Mourinho being afraid of a blowout is spot-on. Real can attack just about any other side in the world into the fetal position; Ronaldo-Ozil-di Maria-Benzema-Higuain are elite talents and I'd take their roster over every one else - save Barca. Barca is the one team with more attacking talent than Real - 8 highly skilled midfielders, Pique and Puyol/Mascherano is just incredible. Real can attack, and beat, everyone else because everyone else cannot play precision keep-away against them. Barca is so adept at pressing when not in possession and maintaining possession with concise passing that to "attack" them is nearly impossible. They deny the opponent an opportunity to attack by simply dominating possession. My grasp of football history is shallow, but has anyone else ever been so effective at not letting the opponent have the ball AND attacking better than any other club side in the world? In American football, that would the Pats 2011 (or 2007) offense and the 1986 Bears or the 2000 Ravens on D - total dominance in the two most important areas of the game.

And that said, Barca can be beat by parking the bus and beating them on set pieces - at least those are 50/50 games. Any other approach is a 30-70, loser. Barca is bad at set pieces and I think on the right night, a mediocre but TALL nPower team could beat them using defense and a few set pieces/well timed counters.

#59 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

The problem with this matchup is the gulf of talent in midfield. Alonso is Madrids best CM and he isn't in the same league as Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, or prob Busquets too. You can't play their game when you have at best the 5th best centermid in the game

#60 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

I really don't think one could construct a midfield out of every other player on earth that would be better than Barca's.

Edited by filthywater49, 20 January 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#61 Apisith

• 976 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

Alonso is in the same league as Fabregas, but he's just slightly below Xavi and Iniesta. Busquets is a level down from all of them, but he's a different type of midfielder.

Real just don't keep the ball well enough. They smash other teams by being deadly on the counter-attack, but Barca have very good defenders which means that they are able to nullify most of Real's counters - except the odd ones like Ronaldo's goal. Then of course Barca's attacking style is very hard to defend for 90 minutes because it requires extreme concentration and stamina. Teams eventually break down; one player makes a mistake and that's that.

I've been of the opinion that this Barca team are the greatest ever team for quite a while and their dominance continues to support this. They haven't looked as fluid this season away from home - partly due to burnout, in my opinion, but also a real lack of concentration, which I think can be attributed to a lessened hunger, given that this set of players has won everything imaginable already.

New, young players like Fabregas and Sanchez will have to propel them onwards because it's obvious from watching this season that Puyol, Abidal and Villa have slipped.

#62 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

AlOnso is not on Fabregas' level

#63 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

I really don't think one could construct a midfield out of every other player on earth that would be better than Barca's. Spain's.

Fixed.

AlOnso is not on Fabregas' level

I agree with this although I think they play slightly different roles. I feel like Xabi is expected to do more defensive work whereas Cesc is more of a true CMF in the Xavi mold. That being said, I'd certainly prefer Cesc over Xabi in the CMF role.

On a different tack, Iniesta is slightly different from Xavi because he has better dribbling in space and has more pace, but he can clearly handle CMF duties as well. All this is a long-winded way of saying that Xabi's analog on Barca is Busquets, who IMHO is still better than Xabi. It seems a bit redundant that Real plays Pepe and Xabi at the same time. I guess you could look at it as a 4-1-3-2 with Xabi playing slightly in front of Pepe, but his tendencies drop him further defensively than he should be playing in the middle of the 3 and I don't think he has quite the attacking acumen needed for that position (paging Kaka, Kaka please report to the Bernabeu). Don't get me wrong, I think Xabi was an excellent player at one point and he's still very good, but I'd take the Barca 4 over him right now.

#64 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Pepe mostly only plays midfield against Barça. The first-choice lineup these days has him as a CB with Ramos.

All 5 of those Spanish midfielders are different from each other. Cesc is the most attacking (these days), sometimes exchanges roles with Messi, likes to make driving runs into the box and has scored a remarkable number of goals with his head this year. Iniesta is the next most attacking, with outstanding footwork and ball control; lately Pep has been playing him almost as a left winger, with Alves providing the width on the other side. Then Xavi, whose vision is second to none and who routinely is the guy who provided the through pass to the guy who gets the assist. Xabi is deeper still; he was known for his long diagonal through balls, though you rarely see those against Barcelona, where he's played as more of a destroyer. (It was interesting to read a thread on RAWK, the Liverpool fan site, about Wednesday's game and see all the LFC fans talking about how dirty Xabi is now playing under Mourinho.) And Busquets is the deepest, receiving the ball from the defenders and distributing it up the field, and often dropping back to become an effective extra back or sweeper when Alves rushes up the wing or Pep switches to a 3-4-3. For talent, I'd say Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets/Cesc-Alonso, but I'm not exactly neutral.

I don't agree that Puyol and Abidal have slipped. Puyol has battled injury but has been very effective still when healthy; he absolutely shut down Ronaldo playing out right in the previous clasico, and Barça haven't lost with him starting in something like three years. Abidal had a career year last year before the cancer showed up, but he has continued to play at a high level. Villa is another story, but it was illuminating to discover that he was dealing with a stress fracture in his leg the whole season before it finally snapped. Pedro has also been very inconsistent this year, and now he is hurt as well (though much shorter-term). It is remarkable that Barcelona have lost two of their first-choice forwards to suck and then to injury, lost their back-up forward (Afellay) to injury, and have been able to plug in Alexis, Cesc and Isaac Cuenca (and even Thiago) and keep on going.

#65 Apisith

• 976 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Abidal has certainly slipped. He's slower than he was, even though he's still a good defender. I see it every now and then. Puyol has been effective, yes, but not the same Puyol from two years ago. The slip is slight, but quite noticeable when the ball gets played in behind him.

I still don't agree with your rationale on Alonso. There's a reason that Liverpool have not looked remotely like the team that they were when he was there. Ask any Real fan and they'll say that he's their most important player. His passing range and accuracy is as good as Xavi's, but he doesn't have the same options so his passing statistics don't look as good. He can certainly play a good cross field ball as any player in football right now, Xavi included. His passing is certainly better than Iniesta's, with Busquet's not even near their levels.

All four - five if you include Fabregas - are different players, but in terms of their absolute quality, I'd rank them as Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso/Fabregas, then Busquets.

Pepe is the destroyer, yes. The comparison should be between Busquets and Pepe. They hassle and harry, and their job is to win the ball back.

Alonso should be compared with Xavi because they are the players that set the pace of the team. It's them that the ball comes to before every attack, and it is them who directs it. Watch Real play against every other team and this is obvious. Watch them against Barca and Alonso doesn't look good because he spends half his time chasing Messi who drops back, and ends up committing needless fouls after his team's spent two minutes chasing shadows.

#66 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

"Ask any Real fan....."

Seriously do you just make up this nonsense as you go?

#67 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Down 2-0 vs Osasuna. If Barca lose or draw is the league conceded to Madrid? Could be.

#68 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Seven points down entering today, the league was already looking like Madrid's. If Osasuna hold on for the victory, and Real playing so consistently, it's hard to imagine a comeback. Pep will say he's never giving up, but realistically the team would likely focus on the Champions League, as well as the CDR final when that comes along.

Bizarre midfield today: no Xavi, no Iniesta, no Busquets, no Cesc. Busi hurt, but the rest all on the bench. Pep possibly trying to steal a rest for them, but it's looking like a bad decision.

Alexis grabs one back, 2-1.

Edit: and immediately 3-1 Osasuna.

Edited by TapeAndPosts, 11 February 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#69 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

And thinking about it more, with the CL returning this week, resting the entire midfield for this game probably means Pep already conceded the league.

#70 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Down 2-0 vs Osasuna. If Barca lose or draw is the league conceded to Madrid? Could be.

well, that was a disaster. only watched the 2nd half, but what an odd lineup for a non-Copa del Rey game, lots of young offensive players out there with only Messi as a regular (Cesc is still new to the squad and it shows). this is also where the absence of Villa is felt most.

Regarding the league, I would not say it's out of reach yet, not with the home game against real remaining, but leaving any points on the table at this point is likely fatal, if this isn't over already.

#71 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yeah if you assume Madrid wins tomorrow thats a 10 point gap...which is probably the largest gap since 2008-2009 season? I know the gap finished off 9 points but did it ever get bigger than that? Not sure.

Barca's away form has been pretty ordinary this year. Something to look at if they draw a tough Champions league opponent.

Zoso you say Cesc hasn't fit in well enough yet, can you explain that a little more? I don't watch much of La Liga but in the games that I've seen (mainly vs other top teams) he hasn't looked bad.

#72 bosox4283

• 2374 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Agreed that the Villa injury has left Barca scrambling. Even the injured to Afellay has left the team short another experienced player.

#73 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Zoso you say Cesc hasn't fit in well enough yet, can you explain that a little more? I don't watch much of La Liga but in the games that I've seen (mainly vs other top teams) he hasn't looked bad.

I didn't mean to extrapolate too much from his play today, but he didn't play the same motor role that Xavi typically does and he didn't have the effectiveness on the flanks that Iniesta usually brings. The movement off the ball wasn't there today and as a result, there wasn't enough patience. The few times I can remember Barca being down the past 2-3 years, they have remained patient in their approach to the attack. The zone of possession might be drawn higher to exert more pressure, but the general approach remains the same. What I saw today was the play focused on the flanks, but unable or unwilling to make the crucial pass-against-the-grain-at-the-top-of-the-box-followed-by-an-incisive-diagonal-run-topped-off-with-an-insane-pass-and-finish we've all come to know well and love more. I think having Xavi or Iniesta ables Barca to move sideline to sideline much quicker, which sets up the mismatches on the outside. If you had a chance to watch today, you may have noticed more "generic" crosses. I think that is also a byproduct of having younger players on the wings in Sergio Roberto and Cuenca. You also can't overlook the games that Abidal and Alves DIDN'T have. I think Cesc has played very well in his first year here, which has obviously proven problematic for others in the past. But, I imagine that he was brought in here to carry the torch forward post-Xavi and right now he can't handle that exact role and the team and its strategy are not tailored properely to the role he played at Arse.

All this really means is we need to smoke Leverkusen next week and take down UCL.

Edited by Zososoxfan, 12 February 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#74 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

But has he not played a lot of his gmes at that false center forward for you guys? Not exactly playing him in his stronest position by a good bit. I have only seen a handful(6-7) games but I have been continuously puzzled at the amount of midfielders who see the field at a given time

#75 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Not sure why Cesc is being singled out, he only played the last 20 minutes of the game and assisted on Tello's goal within three minutes of coming on.

There are a lot of culprits here, but the overriding factor is a few people got hurt and everyone else is exhausted. A lot of these guys have barely had a break in four years.

And no one is more tired than Messi, who hasn't missed a game since something like 1899, and it's begun to show. Pep needs to find his testicles and make the guy sit a little. Not against Leverkusen, though.

#76 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Not sure why Cesc is being singled out, he only played the last 20 minutes of the game and assisted on Tello's goal within three minutes of coming on.

There are a lot of culprits here, but the overriding factor is a few people got hurt and everyone else is exhausted. A lot of these guys have barely had a break in four years.

And no one is more tired than Messi, who hasn't missed a game since something like 1899, and it's begun to show. Pep needs to find his testicles and make the guy sit a little. Not against Leverkusen, though.

You're absolutely right T+P. This one is on Pep for starting a MF of Masch, Thiago, and Roberto.

#77 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Pretty big win yesterday. A 3-1 win away from Camp Nou means Pep can choose to rest some players in the home leg. At the risk of the almighty jinx gods, I ask, do they re-draw after this round?

#78 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yes, the first round is the only round with restrictions on who you can face.

#79 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

March 16 they draw the bracket structure for the rest of the tournament. As Zomp says, totally random draw. So Zoso, you can start looking forward to the inevitable quarterfinals Clasicos now.

Alexis Sanchez makes me all tingly. That pass from Cesc for his second was pretty sweet, too. Now rest Messi in the league against Valencia (he said, knowing it will never, ever happen).

#80 JohnnyWongs

• 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

News came out of Barcelona yesterday that Eric Abidal will be undergoing a liver transplant in the next few weeks.

Team statement.

He's played in six of Barça's eight UCL matches and twenty of twenty six League matches, playing the full game in the majority of those matches. A solid defender that gives me more confidence in Barça's backline when he's on the pitch. Replacing him could be tricky, but I believe we'll see more of Mascherano playing back as he has in the past.

In Pep we trust.

#81 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

The team has announced Marc Muniesa will stay with the first team with Abidal out. Expect to see more Adriano, more Mascherano, more three-in-the-back. Wonder if they're regretting letting Maxwell go now.

All this is sort of beside the point for me, though. Eric Abidal's recovery from cancer to play ninety minutes and lift the CL trophy last year was one of the best stories I've witnessed in sports. But cancer is cancer and now things seem to be bad enough again that they have to replace the liver. It's a given he is strong, the doctors say he wants to return, but there is no guarantee he will ever play again. Steve Jobs had a liver transplant and died two years later; one case doesn't predict the other but it's hard not to think about. I have tremendous respect for Eric as an athlete and a human being, and I'm rooting so hard for him here.

#82 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 623 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Messi set Barca's goal-scoring record today.

#83 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11068 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

...at the age of 24. Twenty-four. TWENTY-FOUR!

#84 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Michael Jordan is the Lionel Messi of Basketball.

#85 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

For a little more context, Messi's 234 goals would already have set the record for City (176, Eric Brook), Chelsea (202, Bobby Tambling), Newcastle (206, Shearer) or Arsenal (229, Henry). He has a shot to pass Bobby Charlton's 249 with United this season, and barring injury should overtake Jimmy Greaves's 266 with Spurs next season. He is still a ways back from marks like Raul's 323 with Madrid or Ian Rush's 346 with Liverpool; but frighteningly enough, at his current rate he would pass Rush in about two years, at age twenty-six.

#86 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Alright Blaugrana, this thread has been suffering from a massive championship hangover, but now is the time to step up our collective games. With Real's draw with Valencia yesterday, Barca are now only 4 behind with 7 to play, including a superclasico at Camp Nou. To restate the obvious, if Barca wins the superclasico and doesn't drop any other points, Real would have to not win just 1 match and Barca takes the liga title. FWIW, the powers that be have also moved the superclasico from Sunday April 22 to Saturday April 21 in order to give Barca more rest for the return leg of the UCL matchup against Chelsea. Chelsea's similar appeal to the FA was denied (http://soccernet.esp...sea-tie?cc=5901).

Barca has games remaining against Getafe (10), @Levante (5), Vallecano (12), Malaga (3), Espanol (9), and @Betis (13).

Real has games remaining against @Atletico Madrid (7), Gijon (20), Sevilla (8), @Bilbao (11), Granada (16), and Mallorca (14).

Barca has 3 tough tests in Levante (scares the crap outta me), Malaga, and Espanol, but I think Real has a tougher stretch with Atletico (Falcao is 3rd in Liga goals), Sevilla, and Bilbao (cmon Llorente). The 2 away games at Atletico and Bilbao are always fierce and Sevilla is usually much higher in the table and has talent closer to Real/Barca than the teams at the bottom of the table. Sevilla and Atletico are also 3rd and 4th respectively behind Barca/Real in goals allowed. Lastly, Bilbao has the 3rd most draws in the league with 11.

Perhaps most importantly however, Real seems to be reeling a bit in the league recently. Yesterday, both teams should've had multiple goals, but I felt that Valencia produced more quality (read: point blank) chances than Real.

Lastly, I leave you all with this delighting image:

Posted Image

Visca Barca!

#87 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I was shocked to hear Messi say some of Barca's players hated Chelsea more than Real.

#88 triniSox

• 1080 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I was shocked to hear Messi say some of Barca's players hated Chelsea more than Real.

Didn't he say that a long time ago after the Del Horno incident? Or did he say it again recently?

#89 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Is that a real quote, or something from the English press?

In relevant news, Ibi Afellay is close to returning from his September injury and could be available for Chelsea. David Villa says he's ahead of schedule too, but no one knows quite what that means.

Neither of them can play defense though. Right now Adriano, Pique and Alves all have knocks, Maxwell plays in Paris, Fontas is out for the year, and Eric Abidal gets a new liver tomorrow. Puyol-Busquets-Mascherano-Montoya in the back line? Eeesh.

#90 bosox4283

• 2374 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Does it matter, though? Can't they just swarm the field with 7-9 strikers and midfielders and control the ball?

#91 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Barca and Real both got thru some tough tests recently with our boys beating Getafe and Real taking the Madrid derby.

The battle between the Madrids was highly entertaining and the game was closer than the result might indicate. CR7 hit a 35 yard free kick to open the scoring, which held until early in the second half when Falcao equalized on a solid header, before CR7 crushed a beautiful strike from the corner of the box, before adding a PK. Real scored another one for good measure.

On the free kick goal, I think the goalie made a huge error. When lining up a wall, a keeper basically assigns the wall to one half of the goal and the keeper cheats to the other half. The Atleti keeper got beaten to his side, from 35 yards out, on a shot that wasn't hit all that hard. Now, I realize the ball was a knuckler, but I can forgive a keeper for getting beat when a player goes over the wall and can still get it on net, but to get beat on your own side from that distance seems like a mistake in my book. After watching it several times, the only thing I can think of is that he first thought it WAS a curler over the wall and was late to react to it breaking to the outside, but again, if the guy beats you to the far post he just beat you - don't let him beat you near post.

Anyway, Real has a home game against bottom-dwellers Gijon next and Barca has a huge test @Levante. Both teams are on quick turnarounds by playing Saturday, followed by their UCL first legs midweek, before the superclasico on the 21st. With the NHL playoffs starting and all these insane games coming up, school work will be suffering a great deal.

#92 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

On the free kick goal, I think the goalie made a huge error. When lining up a wall, a keeper basically assigns the wall to one half of the goal and the keeper cheats to the other half. The Atleti keeper got beaten to his side, from 35 yards out, on a shot that wasn't hit all that hard. Now, I realize the ball was a knuckler, but I can forgive a keeper for getting beat when a player goes over the wall and can still get it on net, but to get beat on your own side from that distance seems like a mistake in my book. After watching it several times, the only thing I can think of is that he first thought it WAS a curler over the wall and was late to react to it breaking to the outside, but again, if the guy beats you to the far post he just beat you - don't let him beat you near post.

Thats exactly what happened. The keeper thought it was going to curve over the wall but the ball knuckled and darted the other way. Brilliant free kick.

Messi is the better player, but Ronaldo can score goals that nobody in the world can.

#93 Zososoxfan

• 1289 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thats exactly what happened. The keeper thought it was going to curve over the wall but the ball knuckled and darted the other way. Brilliant free kick.

Messi is the better player, but Ronaldo can score goals that nobody in the world can.

Agreed on the bolded part - CR7 is Lebron and Messi is...I don't even know who Messi is comparable to. Pedroia if he becomes the best 2nd baseman of alltime???

The free kick really was nearly unstoppable. The only thing I can think of is that when Ronaldo has a free kick from that, or a similar position, the keeper should protect his half of the goal almost exclusively and the team should put a defender on the goal line behind the wall. Sure, he's going to keep Madrid onsides, but the keeper doesn't stand a chance if he can't tell the direction of the spin until it's halfway to the goal. Plus, if Ronaldo is playing a pass, the strategy worked.

#94 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1936 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

John Terry's kids are big Messi fans, a cool image post match:

Posted Image

Wonder if hes getting that for the little ones

#95 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

John Terry's kids are big Messi fans, a cool image post match:

Wonder if hes getting that for the little ones

I fucking would. I am still continually surprised on the times that he walks off the pitch without being asked to swap jerseys post-match. If I played against him, I'd shadow his ass from 85' onward so I could be right next to him when the match ended.

#96 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

And let me go on record as saying I'm nervous as fuck about the next 2 games, and will be pissed if Cesc sees significant in either.

#97 bosox4283

• 2374 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Who do you want to play in his place? Pedro? Cuenca? Tello?

#98 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Twitter is blowing up with rumors that Pep is announcing he is leaving tomorrow.

#99 teddykgb

• 2966 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

That would be absolute madness, wouldn't it? Is there a next in line internally at Barca?

#100 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7278 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't think he's doing it for football reasons. From what a few reporters are tweeting it sounds like he's emotionally drained from the past 4 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users