Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Vancouver's Just Desserts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
182 replies to this topic

#1 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14,704 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

They are rioting.

Post all other schadenfreude here, including quotes, press conferences, etc...

Why? Fuck them, that's why.

#2 amlothi

• 388 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

The loss didn't go over well with hundreds of mostly young Canuck fans, who took to the streets and set several overturned vehicles afire a few blocks from Rogers Arena where the game was played.
Some fans stopped to pose in front of the flames. Others danced on top of another overturned vehicle. A dull cloud of gray smoke choked some areas of downtown.
Aerial footage showed Vancouver police wading into the unruly crowd that continually taunted and threw things at the officers. Members of the crowd leaped over one street fire, and officers wrestled several fans to the ground.
"We're unable to release anything formal at the moment but officers are busy dealing with a few core groups of people bent on committing criminal acts like mischief, vandalism, and fights," Vancouver Police Media Relations Officer Lindsey Houghton said in a statement.

Even their fans are rectal openings of the highest order.

Was their rioting in Boston after the 2003 ALCS?

#3 drleather2001

• 14,704 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Note: I realize it's poor class to wallow in the misery of the losing team, but I think this series represents an exception. The Canucks literally tried every dirty trick in the book.

#4 Boston Brawler

• 4,743 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Not good news here, and certainly not happy to post this, WDAE 620 Tampa is reporting three fatalities in Vancouver due to the riots.

http://twitter.com/#!/620wdae

#5 Boston Brawler

• 4,743 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

Just found this as well...Bruins fan not looking good.

http://yfrog.com/khb4ajj

#6 JimD

• 4,701 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Vigneault: "This one game, they were the better team. It's that simple." I know he's supposed to stand up for his team, but this is just silly. The Bruins were in every game in this series, something his team cannot say, and he knows it.

And then there's this:

SI.com

In the hours leading up Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo tapped a reporter on the shoulder and asked, "You still believe in me, right?

As my teenager would say - Oh. My. God.

#7 drleather2001

• 14,704 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Christ. If that's true someone change the thread title to "Vancouver: Tragically Awful."

That's really sad.

#8 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,764 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

Those people suck. They aren't hockey fans they're fucking low life pond scum punks who are just looking for an excuse to riot.

The hockey fans were inside the arena showing an incredible amount of class by giving their team a standing ovation off the ice and cheering for Thomas when he got the Conn Smythe and skated with the puck and booing the shit out of Bettman. Major props to them. Major pbbbts to the fuckwads doing the rioting.

Also, kudos to the arena people for playing dirty water and tessie (and probably others that I didn't hear) while they B's were celebrating. That was all class.

#9 drleather2001

• 14,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

Riot police fired rubber bullets and flash bombs in downtown Vancouver Wednesday night to try to disperse angry hockey fans who set cars on fire and taunted police officers after the Canucks' 4-0 Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins.

Police declared the downtown fan zone area near the CBC building and the central post office a riot zone. Anyone not leaving the West Georgia Street area immediately would be arrested, they warned.

Police were using batons and also turned police dogs on protesters, slowly pushing the crowd back along Georgia Street from Hamilton Street to Cambie Street.

Officers in riot gear were also trying to disperse a smaller crowd on Granville Street, about six blocks from the original riot scene.

Two police cars were set on fire in a parking lot on Cambie Street near one of the areas where police were being confronted by rioters who were throwing debris at officers.

#10 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,995 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

Montreal, eat your heart out.

How the fuck do you kill three people in one riot?

#11 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6,350 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

Nap is right, they folks in the arena appeared to be very respectful and classy about the whole thing.

But man, those bad punks in the streets sure know how to spoil it for everyone.

#12 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,253 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

They should send Thomas into the streets, he'll stop anything.

#13 reej

• 142 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

It's not confirmed by a media source, but twitter is blowing up saying a Bruins fan was pushed off a overpass to his death.

http://www.google.ca..._gc.r_pw.&cad=b

EDIT - Seems to be false

Edited by reej, 16 June 2011 - 02:46 AM.

#14 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

live, mother of god. http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome

McKenzie this afternoon

Edited by SoxScout, 16 June 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#15 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

Looks like a pickup, a Prius, and a couple cop cars burned/burning

EDIT and a Hummer. Plus several flipped but not (yet) on fire.

Edited by Beomoose, 16 June 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#16 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2,780 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

This is just depressing. The game ended 3 hours ago.

#17 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 6,138 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

@SusanLazaruk Susan Lazaruk
VGH spokesman said 3 major injuries tonight, including man who fell at Georgia Viaduct and is in critical condition, stabbing, hd injury.

http://twitter.com/#!/SusanLazaruk

#18 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

They're just now getting the real riot squad (armor and gas masks instead of day-glo vests) into position. That's pretty terrible as far as response times go.

#19 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2,780 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

Jesus, Vancouver PD has AR-15s out.

#20 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

Anyone who had a problem with Menino not opening the Garden tonight is stupid.

#21 Manzivino

• 2,217 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

They're just now getting the real riot squad (armor and gas masks instead of day-glo vests) into position. That's pretty terrible as far as response times go.

Especially considering how Vancouver's last Cup run ended. "Sure, we rioted last time, but this time it'll be different!"

#22 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

There was a limited amount of riot-control cops with shields assembled right after the game, but yeah these new troops (either RCMPs or cops brought in from other areas) are more heavily armed and have dogs as well. Not doing much yet, but they should be breaking legs and tossing them onto buses at this point.

Edited by Harry Hooper, 16 June 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#23 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

Vancouver Sun:

The eruption of violence forced health authorities in Vancouver to call a major “code orange” alert at both St. Paul’s Hospital and Vancouver General, where preparations were made to receive up to 200 casualties.

“I can tell you we are seeing casualties coming in to both places,” said Alyssa Polinsky, spokeswoman for Vancouver Coastal Health.

As of 10:20 p.m., hospitals had recorded two trauma cases, three stabbings and one head injury.

Polinsky said St. Paul’s emergency had been swamped by 28 patients, with nine waiting to be seen. In the courtyard, hospital staff were treating an estimated 50 people for tear gas inhalation.

After word spread that a man had been killed after falling from the Georgia Viaduct, Polinsky said no deaths had been reported so far.

According to reports, the man was taken to hospital via ambulance with serious injuries.

#24 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

Kid just walked up to within 12 feet of the police line. Oh, how I wish the K-9 officer had left the dog off the leash.

#25 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:41 AM

There was a limited amount of riot-control cops with shields assembled right after the game, but yeah these new troops (either RCMPs or cops brought in from other areas) are more heavily armed and have dogs as well. Not doing much yet, but they should be breaking legs and tossing them onto buses at this point.

They're being overly cautious with the busting of heads. I can certainly understand the reasons for not wanting to go in busting heads if it can at all be avoided, but at this point its been hours and the damage is piling up. Not to mention the injuries already reported. They're well past the sternly-worded warning phase.

#26 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:43 AM

“I can tell you we are seeing casualties coming in to both places,” said Alyssa Polinsky, spokeswoman for Vancouver Coastal Health.

The video had me kind of freaking out as they used "casualties" to describe people that got sprayed by tear gas, so injuries, not deaths.

#27 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6,112 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

#28 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

There are police units coming in from Kitsilano and Abbottsford -- but nobody seems to know why it took so long. The police have been 30 minutes slow in reacting, and while they try to deal with the chaos at one intersection, mayhem breaks out 4 blocks away. It's a terrible scene.

#29 Sprowl

• 21,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

The police have been doing some knee-capping with rubber truncheons to subdue individuals, but not nearly enough direct application of force -- they seem to have been outnumbered in way too many situations.

#30 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:51 AM

The police have been doing some knee-capping with rubber truncheons to subdue individuals, but not nearly enough direct application of force -- they seem to have been outnumbered in way too many situations.

Yeah, and they could have used an assist with water hoses from the fire dept.

Glad to see you're OK, Sprowl.

#31 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:59 AM

Glad to see you're OK!

Yeah in overhead shots the PD has looked way under-strength for even a peaceful event. The riot might never have gotten momentum if they're been properly prepared and had enough bodies in uniform from the start.

#32 Sprowl

• 21,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:00 AM

Yeah, and they could have used an assist with water hoses from the fire dept.

Glad to see you're OK, Sprowl.

Thanks, I'm fine. We were ready to go downtown if the Canucks had won, since it would have been history for the city, but we know better than to seek out a drunken angry crowd. Unfortunately, Vancouver is repeating another kind of history.

Apparently the fire department was being pelted with rocks and debris while they were attempting to put out the burning overturned car, and the situation commanders withdrew them. Looting the Bay, torching a police cruiser, stabbings (details sketchy still). There's a Facebook page where pictures of the perpetrators are being posted: everybody has a camera, and the evidence is everywhere.

#33 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Here's a CBC News interview with a VPD spokesperson before the game. She said, "We're certainly prepared for tonight...We have everything in place to insure everyone has a safe time tonight...We have 100's of officers on the street."

"We're not anticipating a lot of problems, just a big, boisterous crowd...We expect to be busy until about 5 AM."

Seems like the VPD put way too much stock in the early closure of the liquor stores.

#34 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6,112 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

#35 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

I gotta say one of the most distressing things about this is how many MFY hats I keep seeing among those Canucks fans.

#36 MarkInLondon

• Texas resident

• 5,139 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

Seems like the VPD put way too much stock in the early closure of the liquor stores.

And in assuming that the Canucks would win.... :lol:

#37 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,384 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

And too little stock in the full moon, eclipsed to boot.

#38 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,443 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Here is the riot photo gallery from the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.vancouver...3699/story.html

#39 page 2 protege

• 125 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

Looks like a pickup, a Prius, and a couple cop cars burned/burning

EDIT and a Hummer. Plus several flipped but not (yet) on fire.

The Civic truly was protected... This is truly awful, but props to the crowd for booing Bettman and showing all class to the Bruins inside the arena.

#40 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15,461 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Shame...Vancouver is a beautiful city...for some reason, 17 years ago, I wasn't really paying attention to the Finals aftermath...but I guess they have a track record for this, which speaks highly neither of the people, nor of the city's administration or police force. Good call, Menino, not having a viewing party for this game.

#41 PedroSpecialK

• 16,995 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

The BPD were above and beyond fantastic last night. No confrontations that I saw, no antagonizing or incitement by them, and they were happy to high five and have a chat. They were organized and fully prepared - looks like they really did learn from the last few celebrations.

Plus, if you're not from Montreal, there are less riots when you win.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 16 June 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#42 LastTripleCrown

• 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

Not all of the riot was bad

Posted Image

#43 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 6,138 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

What the fuck?

#44 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2,780 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

The Civic truly was protected... This is truly awful, but props to the crowd for booing Bettman and showing all class to the Bruins inside the arena.

To quote Lee Corso (I know, I hate myself already), "Not so fast, my friend."

Police say several fans wearing Canucks attire poured seven jerry cans filled with gasoline over a black Honda Civic parked in front of the stadium.

From the Wiki of the 2011 Stanley Cup riot.

#45 PedroSpecialK

• 16,995 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Guys I didn't literally mean "and torch Vancouver's".

OK maybe I did.

#46 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

The video had me kind of freaking out as they used "casualties" to describe people that got sprayed by tear gas, so injuries, not deaths.

"Casualties" generally means those wounded as well as killed, as well as just people who are lost or otherwise out of the action. In military situations, it also includes those sick, captured, MIA, or unable to fight for any other reason.

Webster's:
3a : a military person lost through death, wounds, injury, sickness, internment, or capture or through being missing in action
b : a person or thing injured, lost, or destroyed : victim <the ex-senator was a casualty of the last election>

#47 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

Posted Image

#48 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image - Hmmmm You know where shit wouldn't happen? The Sun Belt. Does Albuquerque have an arena?

#49 Go Big Red Sox

• 615 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Thank you Bruins. I hate the Canucks.

#50 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,764 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:02 AM