Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

2011-12 Syracuse Basketball

402 replies to this topic

#101 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Not pretty but definitely one of their best wins of the year.

It's never pretty when you play Louisville. They make you play ragged. But hey, a win is a win is a win, and they're pretty rare for Boeheim vs. Pitino, so I'm happy.

#102 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yep. Louisville is a dangerous team. I may be more surprised that they won than if they had lost. I sort of told myself a loss here would be ok. Glad to be wrong.

#103 Doooweeeey!

• 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I sort of told myself a loss here would be ok. Glad to be wrong.

Me too. 3-0 in a really tough stretch. And to complete that on the road with only one three pointer is damn good. Let's hope they shoot it better in the Dome.

Edited by Doooweeeey!, 13 February 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#104 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

Me too. 3-0 in a really tough stretch. And to complete that on the road with only one three pointer is damn good. Let's hope they shoot it better in the Dome.

The writeup after the game on espn.com said that the Louisville game exposed some of SU's weaknesses. While true, I think what it really showed was it's core strength: this team doesn't quit, doesn't give in. It is deep and resourceful and can find ways to win even when it is shooting poorly. I didn't take last night's game as something to be concerned about; I took it as a hugely encouraging sign.

#105 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The writeup after the game on espn.com said that the Louisville game exposed some of SU's weaknesses. While true, I think what it really showed was it's core strength: this team doesn't quit, doesn't give in. It is deep and resourceful and can find ways to win even when it is shooting poorly. I didn't take last night's game as something to be concerned about; I took it as a hugely encouraging sign.

I agree with this. I think games like this will help Syracuse come tournament time. It is pretty much impossible to win 6 games in the tournament while having your A game for each one. Getting experience in how to gut through an away game where very little is going right will be helpful when, inevitably, a similar situation will arise come March. Syracuse just beat a tournament quality team on the road, playing their 3rd game in 5 days (including 1 overtime game), all against talented rivals, while hitting exactly 1 shot outside the paint. It was, at best, their C game. If they played like this all the time I'd be extremely discouraged. But since we know this team can be, and is often, quite good offensively I walk away encouraged that they can find a way to win such a game.

#106 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Survived an ugly one at the RAC, a very tough place to play. Fair, Jardine looking offesively gifted, and nice rebounding and shot blocking by Melo. But damn, they have looked putrid at points lately. I guess the good thing is that they follow those ugly 2 minute periods up with 2 or 3 minutes of good shooting and great passing (the Jardine to Fair reverse ali-oop was lovely). If they win out in the regular season, it will be interesting to see how they respond in the Big East Tourney (best Tourney in College basketball!) after what will be almost a full week off, and probably looking past the little tourney to the real tourney.

Edited by luckysox, 19 February 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#107 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

I'm coming around to the idea that a loss or two heading into the tournament. This team has had a tendency to play down to their opponent a bit, and the consistent weakness in rebounding is concerning. Playing the 2-3 will ensure they will never be a great rebounding team, but they are capable of much more than they've shown the last 10-15 games. This team has a very high ceiling when they play with consistent energy and a commitment to rebounding, creating turn overs by being active in the passing lanes, and getting out in transition. My fear is that the belief will creep in that they will always find a way to win in the end and compensate for the rebounding issues. That wouldn't bode well for March.

oh, and that CJ Fair reverse lob dunk was amazing.

#108 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8488 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

If they win out in the regular season, it will be interesting to see how they respond in the Big East Tourney (best Tourney in College basketball!) after what will be almost a full week off, and probably looking past the little tourney to the real tourney.

I wouldn't expect Boeheim to have them play all out to win out down the stretch or even in the BET. This is obviously small sample size, correlation is not necessarily causation and all that, but going deep in the BET hasn't served them well heading into the NCAA Tournament this past decade:

2005 (27-7) - BET Champions, NCAA 4 seed, lost in the first round to 13 seed Vermont
2006 (23-11) - BET Champions,NCAA 5 seed, lost in the first round to 12 seed Texas A&M
2009 (26-9) - BET Runner-up, NCAA 3 seed, lost in the round of 16 to 2 seed Oklahoma (understandable)

In 2003 they lost in the semifinals of the BET and we all know what happened next.

Once again it might not mean anything, but I think there might be something to having them fairly well rested and not necessarily overly confident heading into the NCAA Tournament.

Edit: And just to contradict myself a bit; 2010 (28-4) - Lost in quarterfinals of BET, NCAA 1 seed, lost in round of 16 to 5 seed Butler. But Butler went on the Championship game, so who knows ...

Edited by Bucknahs Bum Ankle, 22 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#109 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I wouldn't expect Boeheim to have them play all out to win out down the stretch or even in the BET. This is obviously small sample size, correlation is not necessarily causation and all that, but going deep in the BET hasn't served them well heading into the NCAA Tournament this past decade:

2005 (27-7) - BET Champions, NCAA 4 seed, lost in the first round to 13 seed Vermont
2006 (23-11) - BET Champions,NCAA 5 seed, lost in the first round to 12 seed Texas A&M
2009 (26-9) - BET Runner-up, NCAA 3 seed, lost in the round of 16 to 2 seed Oklahoma (understandable)

In 2003 they lost in the semifinals of the BET and we all know what happened next.

Once again it might not mean anything, but I think there might be something to having them fairly well rested and not necessarily overly confident heading into the NCAA Tournament.

Edit: And just to contradict myself a bit; 2010 (28-4) - Lost in quarterfinals of BET, NCAA 1 seed, lost in round of 16 to 5 seed Butler. But Butler went on the Championship game, so who knows ...

I really don't think any of this means anything. Obviously, last year there's the UConn example. But even among the Syracuse teams you listed, there are other factors at play. The 2010 team lost Onuaku in the BE Tournament loss to G'town. That was a huge loss, as AO gave the team a consistent post threat and shot a very high percentage. Had Syracuse gone the whole season without AO, they wouldn't have been a 1 seed, and if Syracuse had AO there is no doubt in my mind they beat Butler that year. I don't think the fact that team lost in the quarters of the BET, and their subsequent NCAA's result, tells us anything about the future.

Similarly, that 2006 team really wasn't all that good. They were squarely on the bubble heading into the tournament and were 7-9 in conference play that year. Gerry McNamara had that amazing run and Syracuse ended up winning the tournament, and were promptly overseeded as a 5. To further complicate things, McNamara hurt his groin in the BET and was less than 100% against A&M. So, again, on the list of things we can take away from this example, where Syracuse finished in the BET and what that tells us about their subsequent performance in the NCAA Tournament is pretty far down the list, in my opinion.

#110 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8488 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I agree there's probably not much to it, which is why I put all the caveats up front. But having players like AO and GMac get hurt in the BET kind of goes along with what I'm talking about. If they took a more "relaxed" approach (I recall the 2006 squad in particular having a grueling schedule to get through the BET), would they have been more healthy heading into the NCAAs? The injury avoidance aspect of toning it down for the BET is one thing, but on the other hand there's the possibility they could get complacent with being coached to play that way and not able to ramp it back up for the NCAAs? Hard to say.

#111 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I agree there's probably not much to it, which is why I put all the caveats up front. But having players like AO and GMac get hurt in the BET kind of goes along with what I'm talking about. If they took a more "relaxed" approach (I recall the 2006 squad in particular having a grueling schedule to get through the BET), would they have been more healthy heading into the NCAAs? The injury avoidance aspect of toning it down for the BET is one thing, but on the other hand there's the possibility they could get complacent with being coached to play that way and not able to ramp it back up for the NCAAs? Hard to say.

I hear what you are saying and understand it as a reasonable point of view. I just don't share it. AO was hurt in the very first game of the BET when he landed funny. It was a freak injury and not the result of the wear and tear of playing 3 or 4 games in 3 or 4 days. GMac was different, as his was the type of injury that is more likely to happen playing a bunch of games in a row like that. However, as I wrote in my previous post, that Syracuse team was deeply flawed and not even remotely a final four contender. Personally, I'd take that thrilling BET run and a first round NCAA flameout than gracefully ducking out after winning two BET games and reaching the sweet sixteen.

This year, Syracuse would have to win 3 games in 3 days to win the BET. They would then have either 5 or 6 days of rest before starting the NCAA tourament. While, of late, the depth of the team has been dwindling as Boeheim has more or less stopped playing Southerland, MCW, and Christmas, for the majority of the season 10 guys were playing consistently and the cumulative effect of minutes on the team is below most other teams. I think this team would be unique well positioned to be fresh (relatively speaking) going into the NCAA tournament, regardless of how many BET games they play. I don't think it is a good idea to tell your players to back off because of fear of injury. I think Syracuse is best served by playing in the BET the way they've been playing all year long and let the chips fall where they may.

That being said, a loss early in the BET wouldn't break my heart. Not so much for the reasons of rest and avoiding injuries. I just think that this team has been skirting a fine line with the inattention to rebounding. I think Boeheim can rant and rave all he wants about how rebounding will cost this team, but sometimes you need to be burned before you realize you are vulnerable. If a loss could get through to the players the absolute necessity of being close to even in rebounding margin, then sign me up.

#112 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

That being said, a loss early in the BET wouldn't break my heart. Not so much for the reasons of rest and avoiding injuries. I just think that this team has been skirting a fine line with the inattention to rebounding. I think Boeheim can rant and rave all he wants about how rebounding will cost this team, but sometimes you need to be burned before you realize you are vulnerable. If a loss could get through to the players the absolute necessity of being close to even in rebounding margin, then sign me up.

My concern is that if they lose early in the BET, they will lose confidence for the Tourney and potentially play skittishly (is that a word?) in the 1st round. I think that if they win out the regular season and then win even one game in the BET they are a one seed...so they probably won't flame out in game #1, BUT, we have mentioned how they play down to their competition to some extent. So I want to see them run the table in the BET. I want their confidence rolling as they hit tourney time. I also want Boeheim to play more guys again - it has GOT to be helping their legs down the stretch here, and they may well need a Christmas or a Southerland if there is a freak injury or foul trouble in the tourney.

#113 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8488 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Excellent points Lefty. I don't disagree at all.

#114 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think it's clear that SU is the best team in the Big East. I also think they could easily lose to Louisville, Georgetown, UConn (yes, I believe that), or Marquette in the BET. I do think if they play ND again they will crush them.

SU is a great team. You don't get to 28-1 with their schedule unless you're tremendous. But they do have holes. Their shooting sometimes disappears for big chunks of time. They are a terrible defensive rebounding team (got outrebounded by 9 to USF last night). They can be beaten by a team that shoots well and rebounds well.

That said, I think they should just play like they've been playing and don't worry about injuries. I think he's really settling on an 8-man rotation: Scoop, Triche, Joseph, Fair, Melo, Waiters, Southerland, Keita. Christmas and MCW will hardly see the floor from here on out. But that's ok....that's a really good and versatile 8-man group.

I know JB only went, really, with 6 guys last night, but Southerland got 18 min against Louisville a couple of games ago and Keita got 17 against UConn. So he's willing to put those guys in if needed.

I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with SU being a heavy favorite come NCAA tournament time, but I'll say this: they're going to be a very, very tough out for anybody, and I'm sure not too many teams will be eager to play them.

#115 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

in all fairness, though, Southerland got 18 minutes against Louisville because Joseph was in foul trouble, and the same for Keita in the UConn game, as Melo was fighting foul trouble.

I agree with what you wrote here. I absolutely believe this team will be a tough out for anyone. They are at their best in an up tempo game, but have shown they can grind out wins when teams slow things down and try to limit possessions. I like this team's flexibility. That being said, I find their inability to play 40 minutes maddening. Last night was a perfect example. They get down 20-7 to USF before going on an epic 26-0 run to get up 13...where they promptly start mailing it in and allow USF to close to a couple of points. They step on the gas again to go up 12, and then allow USF to score the next 11 points. Part of me believes that this team knows it is good and knows it can skate by and still win against lesser teams, and when they truly respect their opponent they can turn it on. But part of me believes that you are who you are, and if Syracuse ingrains this habit of inconsistent efforts - which especially shows in rebounding - that when push comes to shove they'll be who they've been most of the season. I guess time will tell.

On a different note - where has this Kris Joseph post game come from? He hasn't shown any of this in his previous 3 3/4 years at Syracuse, but now he's tossing in a few back to the basket post moves. His up and under move is very Warrick-like. If he can effectively post up a smaller defender a few times per game, just the threat of that will greatly help the offense.

#116 The Filthy One

• 693 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

in all fairness, though, Southerland got 18 minutes against Louisville because Joseph was in foul trouble, and the same for Keita in the UConn game, as Melo was fighting foul trouble.

But those are the kind of minutes you want Keita and Southerland to get, at this point. I really don't want Southerland taking any minutes from Kris Joseph unless he has to. If Southerland were shooting the ball well, it might be a different story. You want your best players to play most of the game. I'm happy that Keita and Southerland have gotten minutes and can be called on if needed, but for the most part, the team is better with Joseph and Melo out there. I know North Carolina has won some titles playing 9 and 10 guys, but for the most part, you want a good core, and then a bench you can go to as needed.

#117 LeftyTG

• 719 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

But those are the kind of minutes you want Keita and Southerland to get, at this point. I really don't want Southerland taking any minutes from Kris Joseph unless he has to. If Southerland were shooting the ball well, it might be a different story. You want your best players to play most of the game. I'm happy that Keita and Southerland have gotten minutes and can be called on if needed, but for the most part, the team is better with Joseph and Melo out there. I know North Carolina has won some titles playing 9 and 10 guys, but for the most part, you want a good core, and then a bench you can go to as needed.

I agree with this.

#118 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

A little known secret: This team is not nearly as deep as everyone thinks they are. Offensively they're only 6 deep, which is still plenty good enough to win in college hoops. But let's not pretend this is a 8-10 man rotation.

If this clip doesn't give you goosebumps then you're in the wrong thread.

http://tinyurl.com/6pmg92z

#119 The Filthy One

• 693 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

A little known secret: This team is not nearly as deep as everyone thinks they are. Offensively they're only 6 deep, which is still plenty good enough to win in college hoops. But let's not pretend this is a 8-10 man rotation.

Damn. That's awesome.

#120 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Damn. That's awesome.

That is awesome. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

They have 8 guys that have scored 13+ points in a game this year: Joseph, Waiters, Fair, Triche, Jardine, Melo, Southerland, and MCW. They have 6 guys that have scored 19+ points in a game this year: same list minus Melo and MCW. I don't know too many teams that have that many guys that are capable of putting up big points. So that makes them deeper than most teams.

And, while JB is going to shrink his bench for the tournament (which I'm fine with), the playing time that guys like MCW, Christmas, and Southerland have gotten this year means that if they are needed, they have already proven they can play and hold their own. So no, they don't have 10 great players. They have a team of 6-7 top-notch players with three more guys that they certainly can use.

That's a heck of a lot more than pretty much most every other team in college basketball can say, which is one reason why they're 28-1.

Big game tonight, right in my back yard. Go Orange!!

PS - I saw Jay Bilas in the Starbuck's at UConn yesterday. I wanted to yell out to him, "Duke sucks!" but I didn't have the courage.

#121 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

BTW, with ND losing today, did that clinch the Big East regular season title for SU, even before tonight's UConn game? Current standings (as of 8:17pm, EST):

Syracuse - 15-1 (at UConn, vs Louisville)
Marquette - 13-3 (at Cin, vs Georgetown)
Notre Dame - 12-4 (at Georgetown, vs Providence)

So at worst, SU ends up 15-3 and in a tie with Marquette, but SU beat Marquette and thus has the head-to-head tiebreaker over them. ND, of course, cannot catch up to either of them.

#122 Dan Murfman

• 2291 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

BTW, with ND losing today, did that clinch the Big East regular season title for SU, even before tonight's UConn game? Current standings (as of 8:17pm, EST):

Syracuse - 15-1 (at UConn, vs Louisville)
Marquette - 13-3 (at Cin, vs Georgetown)
Notre Dame - 12-4 (at Georgetown, vs Providence)

So at worst, SU ends up 15-3 and in a tie with Marquette, but SU beat Marquette and thus has the head-to-head tiebreaker over them. ND, of course, cannot catch up to either of them.

No. They did clinch the 1 seed in the BET. But if they do wind up tied the Big East says both are co-champions. Of course it's a moot point

Edited by Dan Murfman, 25 February 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#123 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

No. They did clinch the 1 seed in the BET. But if they do wind up tied the Big East says both are co-champions. Of course it's a moot point

Yep. Nothing like clinching the Big East championship by winning at UConn. Extremely sweet game tonight. Give UConn credit for fighting back, but a great win for SU.

#124 Doooweeeey!

• 672 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Cool!
Alright, how many of the moments in that trailer did you guys see in person?
Showing my age here, but I was in the upper deck of the Dome for the Pearl Washington half court winner against BC.

#125 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

That WAS goosebumpy! I love this time of year.

#126 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Cool!
Alright, how many of the moments in that trailer did you guys see in person?
Showing my age here, but I was in the upper deck of the Dome for the Pearl Washington half court winner against BC.

Ha, I was in the upper deck for that one as well. Granted I was with my CYO group, but I was there. You would have really been showing your age if you said you were at the Rautins game winner against Nova in '81.

#127 Doooweeeey!

• 672 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Nope. But I was on campus for his last season in uniform, '82 - '83.
Rautins, Erich Santifer, Tony Bruin, Wendell Alexis, Sean Kerins and Rafael Addison. http://orangehoops.org/1982-1983.htm

Back to Pearl's basket: I loved how he never broke stride heading straight for the locker room after it went in.

Wonder if the "Ewing Can't Read!" chants will make it into the doc. Man, was that a guilty pleasure in the day!

#128 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Good stuff, Dooweeey. That was right around when I got into Syracuse hoops, mostly because of Rafael Addison and of course Pearl. Addison, like many players of his era, would have scored a crapload of more points if the 3 pointer was in existence. He graduated the year before it came to college hoops. I was at his (and Pearl's) last game - the stunner against Navy in the '86 Tournament. Holy crap was David Robinson unbelievable that afternooon. He was a man among little boys on the court that day. I was only a kid, but I remember being devastated leaving the Dome thinking we would never have a better season than that '86 team. I obviously had no idea we had this kid named Derrick Coleman coming to town, not to mention the frosh PG called Sherm who barely played in '86.

Anyway, back to my boy Addison - he was the prototypcal Boeheim player before, I guess, there was a protypical Boeheim player -- long, athletic G/F type of player. He would fit in perfectly with this year's team.

Is it March yet?

#129 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Good stuff, Dooweeey. That was right around when I got into Syracuse hoops, mostly because of Rafael Addison and of course Pearl. Addison, like many players of his era, would have scored a crapload of more points if the 3 pointer was in existence. He graduated the year before it came to college hoops. I was at his (and Pearl's) last game - the stunner against Navy in the '86 Tournament. Holy crap was David Robinson unbelievable that afternooon. He was a man among little boys on the court that day. I was only a kid, but I remember being devastated leaving the Dome thinking we would never have a better season than that '86 team. I obviously had no idea we had this kid named Derrick Coleman coming to town, not to mention the frosh PG called Sherm who barely played in '86.

Anyway, back to my boy Addison - he was the prototypcal Boeheim player before, I guess, there was a protypical Boeheim player -- long, athletic G/F type of player. He would fit in perfectly with this year's team.

Is it March yet?

I was 10 years old when I got a Rafael Addison autograph after my first 'Cuse game. He quickly became my favorite player as a kid.

#130 Doooweeeey!

• 672 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was 10 years old when I got a Rafael Addison autograph after my first 'Cuse game. He quickly became my favorite player as a kid.

Raf was definitely one of my favorites, too. Big body for a shooting guard, excellent shooter for a small forward. Good ball handler too.
I think of Wendell Alexis as a prototype too. Put Hakim Warrick, John Wallace and Kris Joseph in with him. Long lean forwards.
Then if you will, you have the Stevie Thompson model; athletic, get-to-the-rim kind of guys. I'd put Paul Harris, Kueth Duany (maybe a stretch) and CJ Fair in that bucket.

edits: better writin'

Edited by Doooweeeey!, 28 February 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#131 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Solid win today against Louisville. From the 10 minute mark in the first half on, the Orange had pretty much complete control of this one.

30-1 regular season, 17-1 in the Big East, undefeated at home. Easily the best regular season I've ever seen out of a Syracuse team.

#132 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

You can say that again. Only the 2nd BE team to finish 17-1 and the first with just one overall loss. Now the real fun begins. We hope.

#133 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

You can say that again. Only the 2nd BE team to finish 17-1 and the first with just one overall loss. Now the real fun begins. We hope.

Even though they're obviously the favorite heading into the BET, I could totally see them losing a game here. And then, come NCAA time, it's still a very tall order for any team to make the Final Four.

So despite the incredible regular season, they will need to be playing their best basketball this month if they want to get to New Orleans.

#134 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Uh, oh. Seriously, this has to come out now?

http://rivals.yahoo....iolation_030512

#135 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yeesh. Not great timing.

#136 JimD

• 4413 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

This cannot be sitting well with Nancy Cantor, even though the Syracuse.com story indicates that it appears most of the violations took place from 2001 to 2004 (prior to her tenure as chancellor). You have to figure that after the Fine mess, she would have wanted to know from Boeheim and others if there were any other hidden bombs that could go off and embarrass the university. I would not be shocked if he just steps down after the tournament.

EDIT: The Yahoo story notes "The NCAA also released a statement Monday night confirming Syracuse “appropriately” self-reported the violations “several months ago." ". I fully expect that Cantor was behind that sudden desire to come clean.

Edited by JimD, 05 March 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#137 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15332 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Not the place for griping... but damn, what the hell? I thought the sports media was 50% Orangemen? Why are they repeatedly going after us? What, the Bernie thing didnt kill us...so now they try again? And they release this NOW? They couldnt sit on it for a month???? or release it 6 months ago?

These kids have fought through so much, and now this. This stunning report that as many as 10 players over the past 11 years actually smoked weed! Newsflash, so did 2/3 of Sadler 3 my freshman year.

1/2 of me things Tranghese is pulling the strings on all of this ****.

#138 Williams Head Case

• 1653 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

It's not the smoking of the weed that is at issue, it's the potential for a cover up that's stinking the most.

#139 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3706 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Not the place for griping... but damn, what the hell? I thought the sports media was 50% Orangemen? Why are they repeatedly going after us? What, the Bernie thing didnt kill us...so now they try again? And they release this NOW? They couldnt sit on it for a month???? or release it 6 months ago?

These kids have fought through so much, and now this. This stunning report that as many as 10 players over the past 11 years actually smoked weed! Newsflash, so did 2/3 of Sadler 3 my freshman year.

LOL. I lived in Flint my freshman year....you could practically smell it as you reached the top steps to the Mount.

But the point is that if this is true (and it probably is, since SU self-reported), then Boeheim has a lot of explaining to do, at an absolute minimum, and possibly a lot worse at a maximum. I don't care about the years 2003/04 to 2010/11, but I don't want them to take away the '03 championship and I don't want this current team to be penalized for things done 7 years ago.

#140 StuckOnYouk

• 1780 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

As a UConn fan, I'd like to welcome you to Yahoo! Sports. When do you think the Nate Miles stuff broke? that's right. March 2009.

This is how they operate. Work on the story and then unload it at just the right time.

#141 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Who DOESN'T smoke weed in CNY? C'mon, how else are you supposed to survive those freakin winters? This story and subsequent investigation will hopefully be something that we will be laughing about in a year.

#142 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I just don't give a crap if these guys smoke weed. I. don't. care. I don't even care that it was covered up because I think it's a stupid thing to have to cover up. I hope this crew of kids can ignore it like they have everything else this season and keep pluggin away.

#143 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8488 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Can UConn withstand another round against the two-headed Kris Joseph monster?

Posted Image

I think not!

#144 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Um, C.J., WTF are you doing?

#145 sonsoftrotnixon

• 586 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Is this thing streaming somewhere?

#146 BigRed07

• 115 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

It's on espn3 if you have access.

#147 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3222 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Damn it with Waiters picking up a cheap second foul and having to sit his very hot shooting hand on the bench!

#148 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Our 2nd unit is outplaying our starters so far. Scoop, C.J & Kris Jo all playing a little fast right now. Lots of bad looks.

Edited by Rossox, 08 March 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#149 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Gottlieb's anti-Syracuse agenda is growing tiresome. It's like listening to Mazz continually go after the Sox for not signing Teixiera and Jason Bay. Enough already.

#150 BigRed07

• 115 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Doug Gottlieb is going to hate Syracuse until he dies. Jay Williams, clearly annoyed, having to say "They're 30-1, Doug," says it all.

Edited by BigRed07, 08 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users