Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Manchester United 11/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
371 replies to this topic

#201 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

I honestly think Young could displace Nani on the left before Valencia. With us being out of the Champions League the squad rotation won't be as important as it was in years past. While Nani is a better one on one threat than both of them, Young and Valencia are a lot more direct and I think with Rooney working closer and closer to midfield he wants direct wingers to spread the field.

Was very impressed with Welbeck as well. He's always been physically imposing but his touch has improved a lot this year.

#202 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Valencia is a spectacular player. I really did not see him coming on like this when they got him from Wigan.

Is it just me, or does Nani seem to get rotated out of the squad more often than most? I know he's been hurt a lot, but I get the feeling that Ferguson sees him as a flash player who's sometimes more trouble than he's worth.

I was going to give you shit about naming Welbeck in an England XI in the Capello thread, but going through England's strikers, it's hard to see how he's out until they play Rooney up top. You get into the Crouch/Carroll crowd pretty quickly going down the list. I still don't think Welbeck is ready to walk into the lineup of a title team, because he's sloppy on the ball the way Carroll is (though not to Carroll's degree), but maybe he gets bonus points for the Nino Brown hairdo.

#203 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah Snake said the same thing about Cleverley and Wilshire but I don't see the downside of starting fresh with those 3 as I don't think they'll win it anyway. Welbeck's speed isn't noticeable because he's a big kid with long legs (his strides are huge) but I think his movement up top gives United (and England) a better option with Rooney playing behind.

I think Ferguson rotates Nani because of exactly the reason you state. He's immensely talented but his decision making is one of the poorest I've seen for a professional player. The sad part is he's actually improved drastically in that respect but still loses his head in bad moments. I honestly wouldn't mind him leaving, so long as either Young or Giggs can play on the left and drift in.

#204 EP Sox Fan

• 1,278 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Good news: Solid 2-0 (Young, Hernandez) win over Ajax in Amsterdam.

Really bad news: Valencia is out a month after straining a hamstring during the buildup on Chicharito's goal in the 85th minute.

#205 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,454 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Rumor has it that a certain ex-Ajax striker is in the house to support his old team tonight.

#206 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I haven't seen that on twitter yet. Who are you following?

Phil Jones captains a young United team. Back 4 of Raphael, Jones, Smalling, and Fabio. Cleverley and Park in the middle. Young and Nani on the flanks. Berba and Chicharito up front.

SAF also said Antonio Valencia could make it back for Spurs. That would be HUGE.

#207 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Nevermind, Park is the Captain.

Those tears flooding your screen? Those are Goyan's.

#208 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Never saw anything official about it, but a few "sightings" were re-tweeted by Liverpool bloggers. No idea if he is actually there. Plenty of "There's only one Luis Suarez" from the away fans, though.

I said this when Liverpool were in the Europa League last season, but nothing is a better reminder that you're in the second tier competition than listening to Ray Hudson's "commentary".

#209 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5,640 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I said this when Liverpool were in the Europa League last season, but nothing is a better reminder that you're in the second tier competition than listening to Ray Hudson's "commentary".

But you're still watching GLADIATORS!

#210 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

So United stutter into the next round of the Europa league, losing 2-1 to Ajax but advancing 3-2. Bilbao is next.

I believe I'm correct in saying that because they advanced, for some reason or another with scheduling, they do not play another Saturday kick off ALL SEASON. Its kind of strange, but I can only see it as an advantage, no?

#211 brienc

• 697 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

http://www.guardian....ed-glazers-debt

Cost of Glazers' takeover at Manchester United reaches £500m

For most normal souls outrage can only last so long, and at Manchester United, supporters' fury at the Glazer family's pillage of their club has been tempered by titles won, the glories of Wayne Rooney, Nani and the rest in full flow, as well as the passage of nearly seven years. The Glazers have sat across the Atlantic, not communicating with the club's fans, and ridden it out until battle weariness has consigned green and gold to the fringes. The release of impassive accounts for "MU Finance plc" has become a quarterly ritual, with the world pointed to the growth in the club's income, from TV deals which would have increased anyway, and commercial operations the Glazers have required to be sweated until the brand squeaks.

Yet the latest figures, covering the Glazers' financial machinations with United for the final three months of 2011, document a landmark. From October to December 2011, the cost of the Glazers' "leveraged buyout" of United, when they loaded their own £525m borrowings on to the club itself to repay, was £17.5m. The club paid £12.2m in interest and other financing charges, and £5.3m paying off some actual debt, which nevertheless remains over £400m. As documented with forensic anger by Andy Green in his "Love United, Hate Glazer" Andersred blog, the total drained out of United in interest, bank charges and other payments before these latest figures was £480m. So the total cash taken out of United, to pay for a takeover the fans and then board did not want, was £497.5m by 31 December. In round figures, and anyway now, with two months further interest from December, the Glazer family have been responsible for £500m going out of United.

#212 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,760 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Up against Norwich this weekend. Last time these two played at Carrow Road, back in 2005, Norwich came away with a shocking 2-0 victory.

I have no real hopes that Norwich will beat United again, just hoping for a close match and a chance to win.

#213 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Right now Rooney is doubtful and Valencia is out.

#214 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,760 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sweet! And Zak Whitbread is in!

#215 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ryan Giggs, making his 900th appearance, saves our season and asses.

Whew.

#216 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,239 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

What a shocker, Rooney and Cleverley are out of an England friendly.

If you're looking for reasons why England suck, Man U's attitude toward international duty isn't inconsequential. Ryan Giggs averaged less than four Wales caps per year when he was their best player, a period in which he never appeared for Man U less than 37 times per season.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 26 February 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#217 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Rooney hasn't dressed in the past two games...you think SAF would sit him out of a Premier League match just to not play in a friendly?

#218 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,766 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Ryan Giggs is the Mariano Rivera of the EPL. Whenever you think you signs of the end for him he always pulls something out.

#219 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,239 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Rooney hasn't dressed in the past two games...you think SAF would sit him out of a Premier League match just to not play in a friendly?

I can play this game, too...You think Ferguson wouldn't plan squad rotation so he could hold players out of friendlies? You think there isn't a pattern of Man U holding players out of internationals, especially friendlies, with the slimmest of excuses?

They played this game for 15 years with Giggs. Good for them, I guess.

#220 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm not trying to play a game. Rooney missed the Ajax and Norwich fixture. The Ajax fixture he probably wouldn't have played in anyway but the Norwich fixture was a very important one. A top half of the table team away is a tough game and being 2 points behind City made it probably a must win. I just don't think he'd risk losing because he wanted nothing to happen to Rooney for Tottenham.

They absolutely do it though, I think most teams do. Probably not as well us we do it :) . Maybe its a reason why Giggs has been able to play on for so long?

#221 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

And to think you were reeling from the pain inflicted by GRANT HOLT!

Grumble grumble grumble.

#222 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

HUGE win. HUGE.

2 points behind City, with them to play at the Emirates but other than that we play nobody in the top 7 while City has to play us, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle.

#223 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Entering February, the two clubs were level with City looking at Fulham, Villa, Blackburn, and Bolton over the next four, and United having Chelsea, Liverpool, Norwich, Spurs. City picked up just two points; was hoping for a bit more.

Fucking Rags don't have a tough away match the rest of the way, other than the trip to Eastlands. It's all coming down to April 30. But then again, we've known that all season long, so ...

(And that match will be won on a late goal from Tevez. And all the pontificating and menstruating will be joyous. Because I don't fucking care if Myra Hindley is scoring goals for City, just as long as they beat United.)

#224 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,198 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

HUGE win. HUGE.

2 points behind City, with them to play at the Emirates but other than that we play nobody in the top 7 while City has to play us, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle.

Now that I've calmed down a bit...I'm going to murder you.

#225 Apisith

• 1,255 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Daylight robbery.

#226 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,772 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

So...that happened, huh?

#227 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I didn't watch the game but Ferguson said they were soundly beaten, and De Gea is getting praise for keeping United in it.

Rafael and Phil Jones are getting stick for being terrible tonight.

#228 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,766 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Missed the match. So did Llorente have a monster game or something? I've always coveted that guy in a LFC shirt. Knowing Utd, they'll probably win in Italy though.

#229 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

#230 Apisith

• 1,255 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

lol. If that's a joke then it's a very clever one.

I've always liked Bielsa. He's a crazy fucker but his teams play with so much energy and are always gung-ho. Him with us is a dream.

Check out the Sid Lowe article in the guardian last weekend; it's excellent.

Guardiola said earlier this season that he'd never seen a more intense match when they drew 2-2 at San Mames.

If Fergie plays his youngsters in the return leg then they won't survive there. It's one of the last few truly intimidating grounds in football - except the crazies in Latin America.

#231 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just watched the game. Bilbao was as impressive as anyone has been all season.

But WHAT THE HELL was Rafael doing on the third goal? I don't care if the team thought Athletic should have given the ball back after Evra's boot came off...once Bilbao takes the ball and charges down with a shot, you have to switch on. Rafael just stood there expecting De Gea to get it. That third goal probably eliminates them from Europe.

De Gea was incredible though.

#232 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6,599 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm throwing in the jinx now since it's all set up for Man U to win the Title. I think they're gonna win it. In fact I'll be well shocked if they don't. In my view it's their's to lose, they have history, momentum, a keen squad of experienced pros and the greatest manager of all time ever ever. City got no chance.

There that should do it. BTW when it comes to picking winners in heads up battles i am the worst. I'm about 0-20 for the Superbowl. Always picked the Bills, the Broncos...i even picked the Bengals one year.

Edited by fletcherpost, 09 March 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#233 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Great scene at Old Trafford.

United up 2-0 and cruising, just passing the ball around trying to kill the game off when the stadium erupts. 1-0 Swansea.

#234 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

TOP OF THE LEAGUE BITCHES.

#235 mgoblue2

• 588 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

6-1 seems like a long time ago now.

Umm...facepalm.

Edited by mgoblue2, 11 March 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#236 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 3,015 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'm throwing in the jinx now since it's all set up for Man U to win the Title. I think they're gonna win it. In fact I'll be well shocked if they don't. In my view it's their's to lose, they have history, momentum, a keen squad of experienced pros and the greatest manager of all time ever ever. City got no chance.

There that should do it. BTW when it comes to picking winners in heads up battles i am the worst. I'm about 0-20 for the Superbowl. Always picked the Bills, the Broncos...i even picked the Bengals one year.

Your timing sucks Mart.

#237 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 163 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

6-1 seems like a long time ago now.

Umm...facepalm.

Those first four months of the season, when City put up close to 50 goals and went unbeaten over 14 matches, seem like a long time ago. I am remaining calm ... All is well.

#238 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

So, I guess it's the league or nothing for you cunts.

#239 TapeAndPosts

• 286 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Rumor has it there are more than two teams in La Liga.

#240 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

It was always going to be tough to win in Italy.

#241 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'd say it was impossible.

Especially since the game was in Spain.

#242 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Missed the match. So did Llorente have a monster game or something? I've always coveted that guy in a LFC shirt. Knowing Utd, they'll probably win in Italy though.

I'd say it was impossible.

Especially since the game was in Spain.

Sigh.

EDIT: I was joking...I thought people would get that.

Edited by sachmoney, 15 March 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#243 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Expecting me to read more than a couple of posts up in this thread is asking a lot.

#244 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

I got the joke. Expecting a Liverpool fan to comprehend is asking a lot.

Bilbao are really magnificent.

City is knocked out as well, so they'll both be able to only concentrate on the league. Should be a fun few months.

#245 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'll let that go because I am smiling with the realization that Arsenal and at least one of the Manchester clubs will win fewer trophies than Liverpool this season.

#246 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm so jealous
Posted Image

#247 SoxFanInCali

• 6,454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

At least when we made the final, we won it.

#248 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

At least when we won anything, at all.

fyp

#249 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,065 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Touché SFiC. Touché.

As for Man U, I think that losing in the Europa League doesn't really matter if the goal was always to win the league. It would've been a lot of needless travel for a competition that most people don't give two shits about. Furthermore, winning the league would be a result of outlasting your rivals. With City out of the competition as well, it would've been a big disadvantage and a distraction to play in the Europa League, IMO, especially if you're sending the first team to those games. Last thing y'all need is another injury to that backline.

#250 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

MENMedia had a poll, which game would you rather win: Athletic Bilbao or Wolves on Sunday? 95% chose Wolves on Sunday.

No question, the league is priority...but I'm of the mindset if you are in a competition you play to win. I honestly think they did and Bilbao just had their number.

Llorente is a fabulous player. Reminds me of Torres when he was, well, Torres. Munain is also great.