Recap of last night:
19. Matt Barnes, rhp, Connecticut
26. Blake Swihart, c, Cleveland HS (N.M.)
36. Henry Owens, lhp, Edison HS (Calif.)
40. Jackie Bradley Jr., of, South Carolina
Boston Red Sox
The picks: Matt Barnes (19), Blake Swihart (26), Henry Owens (36),Jackie Bradley (40)
Summary: I hinted at this on Twitter, but some of the credit for Boston's draft is just that the right guys fell to the team. However, the Red Sox do deserve the rest of the credit for actually taking them (and, presumably, paying them). They got Blake Swihart, who I think will be an impact hitter and has a chance to do it as a catcher, with their second pick after preseason top-10 guy Matt Barnes -- whose velocity was fine but didn't show great command this year -- fell to them at No. 19. Henry Owens was spot on in the sandwich round as a projectable lefty who already hits 93 mph and has great deception, and they took a flier on Jackie Bradley's recovery from injury much as they did last year with Anthony Ranaudo.
The Sox will select at 81, 111, 142 and every 30 picks after that.
BPA, per BA:
15. Josh Bell, of, HS
16. Daniel Norris, lhp, HS
28. Austin Hedges, c HS
30. Andrew Susac, c, Oregon St.
31. Dillon Howard, rhp, HS
32. Matt Purke, lhp, TCU
39. Jorge Lopez, rhp, P.R.
41. Josh Osich, lhp, Oregon St.
42. Alex Dickerson, of, Indiana
46. Dillon Maples, rhp, HS
50. Tony Zych, rhp, Louisville