Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox draft Jackie Bradley, South Carolina OF (second supp. pick)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,428 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Not Bell, who many were clamoring for, but Bradley was the 2010 College World Series Most Outstanding Player:
http://www.perfectga...px?article=5813

5'11, 180 speedy LHH OF. "had become a no-brainer first-round talent by his junior year at South Carolina before a nagging wrist injury led to a subpar 2011 season. He finally had surgery in late April to repair a damaged ligament, but was lost for the balance of the season."

"Despite his modest 5-foot-11, 180-pound frame, Bradley has legitimate five-tool talent. He generates good bat speed from the left side, and projects to be an above-average hitter with average power. He generally takes a big, aggressive hack and most of his home-run pop is to the pull side, but Bradley is also capable of shortening his swing, enabling him to drive balls to all fields. Its on defense that Bradley truly excels, and he has become an elite-level center field with a strong, accurate arm. Bradley's speed grades out as slightly above-average, but he maximizes it with his superior base-running instincts and by getting excellent jumps on balls in the outfield."

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Bradley, the center fielder for the University of South Carolina, seemed destined to be a no-doubt first-round pick before this season started. But struggles with the bat -- he hit just. 259 over 37 games -- and a wrist injury that required surgery have thrown his status into question.

He swings a better bat than what he showed this season, having hit well in the tough SEC in the past as well as for Team USA this past summer. Though he's only 5-foot-10, he packs surprising power into his frame. He's a rare combination of an outfielder who has the chance to be an above-average defensive center fielder while having below-average speed. He's got an above-average arm and plus instincts which should allow him to stay there, like a Jim Edmonds.

A team that thinks the pre-2011 Bradley is the real one will likely still take a chance pretty early on.

#3 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,268 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Perfect Game's Scouting Report
http://www.perfectga...px?article=5813

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

So after doing draft reseach, I think I'm in love with Bradley and he might be my favorite pick.

He has had some freak injuries. Injured his hammate bone one year, had it broken the next, was back in 19 days. Had a blood clot so he had an extra rib removed. Hurt his wrist diving for a ball, but projects to be 100% healthy.

Every tool is there. It is weird, each scouting report has a different take on his speed. From below-average, to plus 70 speed. From what I can tell is he is excellent in CF and excellent on the bases and can steal. I don't think speed is an issue whatsoever.

Last July Law had him as an "excellent chance to be a Top 10 pick and shouldn't go any worse than Top 20."

His coach:

I hope that Jackie Bradley gets treated fairly, based on his value as a baseball player and as a young man and as what he can bring to an organization, South Carolina coach Ray Tanner said Monday afternoon. As much as I'd like to have him back, I think he's one of the top players in the draft. I think he went into the season ranked in the top 10 or 15. I hope that somebody recognizes his value, still, in that area. I think that's where he should be.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110606/WIRE/110609797/1001/sports02?Title=USC-s-Bradley-Jr-selected-40th-by-Red-Sox

He is an extreme extrovert and all his interviews remind me of Torii Hunter. As a player he seems like he will do something every game that will help you win.

#5 Don Buddin

• 238 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

Bradley's press conference.

http://gamecocksonli...-body-main.html

#6 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,783 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

SportsCenter just did a CWS preview and said he has been cleared to play.

#7 chester

• 1,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

I didn't see a page for Bradley Jr. in adopt a prospect (maybe Ill start one) but this is a great interview showing what a great intellect this kid has. Maybe he is just saying the right things, but he really sounds like he has a great approach to the game.

per Frangraphs JBJ interview