Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Newcastle United 2011-12: AllÚz les Lads!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
371 replies to this topic

#1 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

So, while we're all patiently waiting for Michael Owen to score his Big Goal, we're rumored to be in for Yohan Cabaye (all but signed), Gervinho and Kevin Gaimero.

And the new kit is wretched. I won't even link to it.

Edited by ethangl, 20 June 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

There's no way the new kit is worse than those yellow away abominations 2 years ago in the championship. Those canary things have to be the worst jerseys of all time.

In other news, fuck Michael Owen. 1.3 million pounds for every goal scored.

#3 MarkInLondon

• Texas resident

• 5,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

There's no way the new kit is worse than those yellow away abominations 2 years ago in the championship. Those canary things have to be the worst jerseys of all time.

In other news, fuck Michael Owen. 1.3 million pounds for every goal scored.

The Coventry City cack brown shirt from the late 70's will take some beating.

#4 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hush, those shirts were brilliant, certainly better than this:

Posted Image

Edited by ethangl, 03 June 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#5 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,398 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

I think this video explains the logic behind the new kit:

Edited by SoxFanInCali, 03 June 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#6 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,294 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:52 AM

Already having Ryan and Steven, NUFC is trying to corner the market on Taylors.

http://soccernet.esp...-taylor?cc=4716

Premier League new boys Swansea have confirmed Newcastle United have made an undisclosed bid for Wales left back Neil Taylor.

Neil Taylor: Made 30 league appearances for Swansea last season
GettyImagesNeil Taylor: Made 30 league appearances for Swansea last season

Taylor, 22, made 30 league appearances last season as Swansea won promotion to the top flight via the League Championship play-offs.

"We have received a proposal from Newcastle regarding Neil,'' Swans chairman Huw Jenkins told the club's website. "But the proposal has not been accepted or rejected at this stage.

Are they bracing for 'pool to bid on Jose Enrique?

#7 cjdmadcow

• 1,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Good to see the GBP35 million received for Carroll is being put to good use.

Wonder how much of the cash stash in Ashley's pocket will actually see the light of day?

#8 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

I rather like the Third Kit they just unveiled. Unless I like the away kit more, this will be the shirt I pick up this season. Although I may refrain from getting a name/number on the back. Right around the time my Ben Arfa jersey arrived de Jong snapped his leg in two.

Posted Image

#9 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

I rather like the Third Kit they just unveiled. Unless I like the away kit more, this will be the shirt I pick up this season. Although I may refrain from getting a name/number on the back. Right around the time my Ben Arfa jersey arrived de Jong snapped his leg in two.

Posted Image

actually, in three!

#10 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

You bought a ben arfa shirt before he was signed permanently? That sir, is cajones.

I would buy a Barton shirt in a hot minute if I thought he would be around longer than next year.

#11 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

The third kit is fantastic.

But why get a plain old name/number on the back when you could do do this?

#12 Blundatola

• 161 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yohan Cabaye signing is official.

#13 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

You bought a ben arfa shirt before he was signed permanently? That sir, is cajones.

I would buy a Barton shirt in a hot minute if I thought he would be around longer than next year.

Yeah, bought it the day of the Everton match when he scored on that rocket. got it pretty cheap from eBay, so it wasn't that gutsy of a move. Now, if they sign Barton to a long term deal, I'll put that on the back of a jersey in a second.

And I'm a huge fan of the Cabaye signing. Midfield shaping up to be talented and very solid.

#14 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Reports are that Demba Ba has agreed to terms on a free transfer. He's an injury risk but scored 7 goals in 12 appearances for West Ham last season. I like it.

#15 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Nolan headed to West Ham. Barton fumes.

Never dull on Tyneside.

#16 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

this is going to be one hell of a summer

#17 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

I'm ok with it -- it's the definition of selling high, as high as you can sell a guy like him. Nolan is so positionally limited (a poor, poor man's Frank Lampard) only able to play just behind a central striker, that you have to play a guy like Ben Arfa somewhere else to accommodate him. Not having the Nolans and Alan Smiths of the world as automatic starters gives us soooooo much more flexibility.

#18 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

What a crazy time to sell a guy like him.

If the regime had a good track record in replacing players then I would be fine with selling Nolan but their history with Milner, Carroll, N'Zogbia and Routledge leaves me quite nervous.

#19 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm more concerned about replacing Enrique.

And Routledge was out of his depth, man, there was nothing to replace. :)

Edited by ethangl, 15 June 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#20 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Yeah there's no doubt that Routledge wasn't good enough, but he was a servicable squad player and one we could have used in many matches in the second half of the season to stretch teams. I have no idea how we won some of the matches that we did at the end of the season with the lack of pace in our team.

Ba and Neil Taylor seems sorted. That's a great start to the transfer window so far.

If we get Matuidi, Barnetta and Erdinc then this will be the best transfer window we've had for a good 8 years (when we got lucky that Jeffers and Zenden turned us down, leaving us with Robert and Bellamy).

#21 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

Not to mention Yohan Cabaye. Our midfielders will have much more positional versatility next year.

Selling high on 28yr old midfielders who can really only play one positions is smart dealing.

Oh, and we are definitely going to have to replace Jose Enrique. Seems he has UCL dreams

#22 Blundatola

• 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

The Demba Ba signing is official.

#23 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

And Marveaux has signed as well.

Wow. This is turning into quite the transfer window. Our best since '03 if we can get in a winger and striker.

#24 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

The Marveaux signing is somewhat of a stunner. The midfield is really shaping up nicely. If they could just get a consistent finisher to play up front, it would be a fantastic transfer window.

#25 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

Damn, half the team is going to speak surrender French.

Just piling on what you all have said, things are shaping up nicely. They do need another finisher very badly. Ba can't be the only striking signing.

Hopefully they also finish this Neil Taylor signing. We need a 3rd Taylor on the team.

#26 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

I love transfers that go completely under the radar. Hope we are still going for N'Zogbia.

#27 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

It looks like we're still after a striker, a winger and a central midfielder.

The winger is probably N'Zogbia or Barnetta, whoever we can tie up first. I would really like N'Zogbia because he's Premiership-proven, but I've liked the look of Barnetta for a few years so he would be a good fit as well. And both players would fit in the Francophone nature of our front six too.

The CM we've been linked with is Matuidi. I think it's unlikely that we sign him because he's expensive and wanted by many other clubs, but one can hope.

Erdinc is the striker that we've been linked with and he's probably a goer.

If we play 4-2-3-1 and line up like this:

Tiote Cabaye
N'Zogbia HBA Marveaux
Ba

I would not be able to stop jizzing.

Similarly, a 4-3-3 with Matuidi in it would look like this:

Tiote
Matuidi Cabaye
HBA N'Zogbia
Ba

Or a 4-3-1-2, like this:
Tiote
Matuidi Cabaye
HBA
Erdinc Ba

Holy hell we'd be fucking fun to watch with any of these line-ups.

#28 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Away Kit - Orange?

Posted Image

If this is indeed the case, I'll be getting the third, all black, kit this season.

#29 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:05 AM

Un autre Franšais peut-ŕtre ?

http://soccernet.esp...d-inter?cc=4716

#30 Joe D Reid

• 2,623 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Neither Ranger nor Barton will be allowed into the US for NUFC's preseason tour, Ranger because of a juvenile armed robbery conviction, and Barton (I assume) because of the years 2004-2008, inclusive.

#31 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Amused at Barton's visa being denied in the wake of his recent Vegas/LA vacation. He should have just come over on holiday.

#32 Blundatola

• 161 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

So the lads just finished the first friendly of the season against Darlington winning 2-0 (Barton, Sammy Ameobi). Apparently in the second half Newcastle supporters starting chanting they were taking to the pitch if Sammy scored. They were true to their word and from the sound of it 500 supporters or so rushed the pitch. As you'd expect some Darlington supporters were upset and a bit of fighting broke out. The match was nearly abandoned, but they ended up finishing without further incident.

From what I could gather Barton, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, and Sammy were the standouts. Both Guthrie and Ferguson picked up knocks.

On a separate note, is anybody attending any of the US tour matches? I'll be going to the Sporting KC match and like a big old superfan dork will be at the Tuesday training session as well.

#33 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

Oh yay Newcastle lost to a US tier 3 team in Orlando.

1. Why is Newcastle playing a US tier 3 team? couldn't find a decent U-15 side to play?

2. Why in Orlando, on artificial turf? I know they ripped up the temp-grass-field prior, but they had to have known the Citrus Bowl has the crappiest field in all of sport, so why not play someone else? Do we want more players hanging out with Ben Arfa in the ankle ward?

Edited by Infield Infidel, 27 July 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#34 Joe D Reid

• 2,623 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Joey Barton appears to betweeting his way out of town. If these tweets had come 6 months ago (or 2 years ago, for that matter), they'd make perfect sense. But I think the club actually had a pretty ambitious offseason and brought in some nice players. They're just dumping all their English players, which strikes me as a pretty good efficiency move.

#35 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Glad I did not pull the trigger on a Barton jersey.

I saw those twitter comments coming for a while away. Barton has been simmering, especially on twitter, since Nolan left Tyneside. It was only a matter of time until he went off.

#36 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

The Frenchest team in the Prem just got Frenchier (and midfieldier)

http://soccernet.esp...wcastle?cc=4716

Newcastle United are poised to clinch the ú3 million capture of Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan, with reports suggesting a deal will be finalised on Monday.

Gabriel Obertan made just four starts for Manchester United last season
Former France Under-21 international Obertan has started just four Premier League games for the Red Devils since joining for ú3m from Bordeaux in July 2009.

He will become Newcastle's fourth French signing of the summer, following Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid

#37 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

The Frenchest team in the Prem just got Frenchier (and midfieldier)

http://soccernet.esp...wcastle?cc=4716

The 2-8-0 formation that Pardew sends out each match will be the wave of the future in the EPL, much like the Bears' 4-6 defense or the spread option in college football.

#38 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,227 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Obertan was bought a few seasons ago as a pet project, and though he never established himself as a solid first teamer I think it had to do more with Park, Nani, Valencia, Giggs, and now Ashley Young ahead of him.

He's fast as fuck...just flies. He will piss you off because there will be many times that he has an opportunity to cross a ball and he'll cut it back and do a few more step overs. He could be a lot more direct but that will hopefully come with maturity. If he puts it all together he could be an excellent signing.

#39 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Anybody not pissing himself at the thought of taking on PL defenders is an upgrade over Routledge.

#40 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

The 2-8-0 formation that Pardew sends out each match will be the wave of the future in the EPL, much like the Bears' 4-6 defense or the spread option in college football.

I like it
------GK-------
----CB--CB-----
-RW1--CDM--LW1-
-RW2-----------
-RW3--CAM-----
-RW4-------LW2-

Everything gets funneled to Tiote in the center of the CDM line, wherein he breaks all yellow card records.

#41 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like Forster might be going back to Celtic on a season long loan, per Lee Ryder of the Newcastle Chronicle.

#42 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Get. The. Fuck. In.

#43 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

I said this in the week 2 game thread, but at the time of this post, Newcastle United is now the only team out of the Prem, Championship and Leagues 1 and 2 to not yet concede a goal this season.

Edited by Seven Costanza, 22 August 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#44 Joe D Reid

• 2,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

The realistic aspirations for this team are to (1) stay up and (2) beat Sunderland twice. Off to a solid start on both fronts.

#45 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Barton is on a train to London currently to speak to QPR.

And now, per his twitter (@Joey7Barton) he's currently undergoing a medical. He's gone.

I'd link to the tweets, but I can't get on twitter here at work- only on my phone.

Edited by Seven Costanza, 24 August 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#46 ethangl

• 2,186 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Conclusive evidence that Sammy Ameobi was adopted.

#47 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

That was a hell of a free kick by Ryan Taylor.

#48 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,548 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well, I hope no one ordered a jersey with "Barton 7" on it. Unless it is a QPR jersey.

#49 Infield Infidel

• 8,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Dempsey got a late goal for Fulham, but Newcastle eek out a 2-1 win off a brace from Leon Best.

The second goal had a great assist from Demba Ba, whom I think should get more playing time. Cabaye also looked very good; he put in a wicked quick shot from outside the box which Best knocked in off the rebound for his first goal. Obertan had a lot of possession but wasn't aggressive enough with crosses/passes, Krul had a couple great saves, but the goal was completely his fault, got caught of his line on a free kick, which Dempsey headed and the ball looped over Krul's outstretched hand

All in all, from the last ten minutes of the first half until Best's second goal, they looked really solid and put a load of pressure on Fulham. A good win.

Edited by Infield Infidel, 28 August 2011 - 09:10 AM.

#50 Apisith

• 1,230 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

ahem. We're not a bad team. Get a new LB and ST and we're rolling, baby.