Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Spurs 2011-12: *&#*)#&@*%)@#)(%@

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
299 replies to this topic

#101 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1930 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'd take Richards

#102 Was (Not Wasdin)

• 520 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Soooooooooo.......... who is the next manager once Harry takes the England job?

#103 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Soooooooooo.......... who is the next manager once Harry takes the England job?

Didn't really want to start thinking about this until after the season...

I know that (a) he has little international experience and (b) Glen Johnson played good today out of position, but I really think Walker should be starting at right back for England this summer. When Lennon doesn't start Tottenham just gives the entire right flank over to him: van der Vaart takes up central positions instead of staying wide, and today Kranjcar did the same. And Walker covers the entire flank! It's not disimilar to Dani Alves at Barcelona, really. Great two-way player.

Thought Walker had his best defensive game against Liverpool and his defense has made a lot of strides with regular play this year. Offensively, I think his crosses still leave something to be desired and he needs to improve on beating defenders down the touchlines when he decides to take someone on. A friend of mine thinks he needs to try and emulate Bale's tactic of flicking the ball beyond him and his man and then simply beating him to the ball, sometimes he seems to get caught up trying to out think his defender instead of turning to his excellent pace.

I love him though and he's going to be a great player for them.

#104 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16450 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Seen him play about 5-6 times this year and in my mind, he's a better, more complete player than Johnson right now. They're both touchline-to-touchline players down the right, but I feel Walker's pace is better as is his defense, while Johnson is slightly more creative on the attack.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 09 February 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#105 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 5586 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Seen him play about 5-6 times this year and in my mind, he's a better, more complete player than Johnson right now. They're both touchline-to-touchline players down the right, but I feel Walker's pace is better as is his defense, while Johnson is slightly more creative on the attack.

It really depends on the opponent as to who I would choose. Against a disciplined, attacking team, you would probably want Walker for his defense. Against a team that puts 10 behind the ball, Johnson's attacking ability would be useful.

#106 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 11972 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

It really depends on the opponent as to who I would choose. Against a disciplined, attacking team, you would probably want Walker for his defense. Against a team that puts 10 behind the ball, Johnson's attacking ability would be useful.

This. I think it's matchup dependent but the question of whether these are the two RB on the roster OR if Richards beats out both of them will be one of the more interesting sub-plots in 2012 & 2013.

If Ashley Cole can't maintain form, Johnson might end up being the best option at LB, solving the problem in an unappealing manner.

#107 ethangl

• 2105 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

If Ashley Cole can't maintain form, Johnson might end up being the best option at LB, solving the problem in an unappealing manner.

Johnson is not a better option than Leighton Baines.

Jose Enrique would actually be eligible but he's not having it.

#108 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1930 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Johnson is not a better option than Leighton Baines.

Or ACole, even as he begins declining

#109 Tangled Up In Red

• 927 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

5-0 and no bump?!
Adebayor was a magnet, the whole team was on the front foot and the match was over in 15 minutes (I only watched the first 45).
Walker-Dawson-King-BAE is a great backline, esp with the well coiffed one in front of them.
Love seeing the goals without VdV

#110 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Great to see Saha score a couple, goes to show that the fact he had only scored once this year with Everton was probably down more to playing for Everton than his own personal finishing abilities. Hopefully that gives him a big confidence boost the rest of the way. He's probably worth keeping around for next year too figuring Spurs will almost assuredly be in the Champions League and they won't have Adebayor around either, he could provide good striking depth with Defoe and whoever they get(hopefully someone) to replace Ade.

Still find the FA Cup funny, with some Premiere League teams having faced fellow top level clubs once or twice in two rounds and the best team Tottenham will have faced through three rounds is Watford, a mid table Championship side. It's probably Spurs only chance at silverware this season, they need to take advantage of the three round cake walk.

#111 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think Adebayor will definitely be there next season.

Saha is a tremendous finisher, he just can't stay healthy.

#112 teddykgb

• 2965 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Adebayor will only be there if Spurs open up the checkbook. In some ways, the loan move will have backfired on them if they seek to buy, as Adebayor has done wonders to improve his value, especially to that team, when they probably could have bought him outright for much less before this season.

I mean, it's hard to really call it a backfire given that they assumed less risk and have gotten a great season out of him, but if they try to make the move permanent, things are going to get expensive on them, I think. City will hold the cards here and I'm sure at this point other teams will be interested.

#113 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

True but Spurs could argue that his form is a product of 'arry's "system".

I'm sure teams will be intrested in Adebayor but lets be honest, his reputation (which is probably unfair seeing as he's been a model citizen his last two loan spells) is one of a lazy and moody player. Spurs have gotten the best out of him and are probably willing to pay the most, but at the same time I'm sure they know they are dealing from a position of relative strength in compared to other teams.

If Adebayor is not on Spurs next season, its because they've found someone better.

#114 teddykgb

• 2965 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, I don't agree with that last statement at all. If City have proven anything with this Tevez thing, it's that they're going to stick to their valuations of a player. I think there's a very good chance that Spurs will want him but be unwilling to pay the price for him (plus Ade has a very large per week wage bill he'd have to renegotiate). I could absolutely see Adebayor back out on loan somewhere else next season or bought outright by someone else who is willing to pay a price Tottenham may be unwilling to pay. Agree to disagree on this one, I suppose, either could clearly happen and the good news is we'll find out in the summer.

As a City fan, I am absolutely amazed by how good Adebayor has been, and yet somehow not completely surprised. He was on a serious run of form right up until he celebrated at the Emirates and got that ban. He then went to the ACoN and never came back the same player. Mancini clearly didn't favor him and he started to pout, plus I don't think he fit the role we were trying to play him in, as he's absolutely terrible at winning a ball from the GK in midfield. I've never seen a player misjudge so many of those long balls. But he was still great in front of goal, really just couldn't strike up much of a partnership with Tevez, which is probably not Ade's fault, as Tevez is just an unorthodox (and productive) striker.

#115 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Wouldn't City also be more reluctant to sell to Spurs, if they feel that Spurs will continue to be a top four, title contending side? I don't think all this matters much anyway, his wages are way above what Spurs seem willing to pay and Ade was quoted earlier in the year about a reluctance to take a pay cut, something about giving a lot of money back to his home country, if I remember correctly.

But, at the least, Adebayor has been tremendous this year, a year in which they really needed to get back into the Champions League. Be interesting to see what Levy tries to do to solve this problem again next season. Maybe somebody else will have a quality striker on big money they don't want to deal with for a year?

#116 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 11972 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Be interesting to see what Levy tries to do to solve this problem again next season. Maybe somebody else will have a quality striker on big money they don't want to deal with for a year?

Paging Carlos Tevez, Carlos Tevez to the white courtesy phone. Tevez, white courtesy phone.

#117 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9180 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I would be shocked if Tevez was anywhere near Spurs next year. I can see Jaws actually strangling him to death on the sideline

#118 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 1930 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Drogba?

#119 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Does anyone know much of anything about Spurs young strikers? Like Lancaster or Kane or Couliby(spelling)? Any chance one of them would be ready to see more time next year, similar to how either Livermore or Walker has been worked in this year? Beyond Saha and Defoe, there really isn't much besides the kids.

#120 veritas

• 468 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

With all the attacking skill Spurs have in the midfield (even more so if the Hazard rumors are to be believed), Adebayor fits in perfectly in their offense. He's unselfishness and passing ability has really surprised me this year and has been the key factor in their increase in scoring this season. You can throw away his 10 goals and they're still scoring at a higher pace than last season. If they lose him I think they need to replace him with a similar type striker; a scoring threat, but also someone who can win the ball and distribute to the attacking midfielders.

I love Defoe, but he can't do that. He's been far more effective this season playing with Adebayor as opposed to the lone striker in front of Van Der Vaart.

Drogba really could fit that role. He's an aerial force and had 13 assists in 30 games during his last full EPL season. But he'll be 34 in less than a month and he's not someone that can be counted on full time.

Rossi is a guy that has been talked about in the past as a transfer target, but he's more of a 2nd striker, kind of like VDV, or like a poor man's Rooney. He's probably capable of playing the false nine role but that won't work with Bale and Lennon on the wings.

Tevez...do not want.

Keeping Adebayor would be fantastic, not sure it's worth what it might cost. But I'm also not sure there's anyone who can replace what he's brought to the team this season

#121 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Berbatov would fit in nicely.

#122 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

We couldn't afford the smokes.

If keeping ADE isn't an option, I would love Drogba, but he's on the bad side of 30, so I wouldn;t want to break the bank for him. One thing to remember in that vein is that though Walker, Modric, Lennon and Bale are young...BAE, VDV, Paker, King, Dawson etc have age/injury questions coming. Plus you never know when teams are going to start whispering in ears again with tales of superior wage deals.

I'm nervous about next year simply because Spurs need to consistantly make Champions League football because the margin for error is really small.

#123 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

The last thing Spurs really need right now is another Cup match against Stevenage, missed the game due to work, but they couldn't slip one past them a week after putting five in against Newcastle?

#124 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Well, that was fucking dumb.

#125 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

That was just embarrassing. I don't have anything to say other than dropping 3 here fucking sucks wnith the Manchesters (United without our best player), and Chelsea still on the schedule.

Those 7 points in hand now are pretty huge. Getting four points off United, City, and Chelsea would leave me breathing easier after that abortion.

#126 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

They have not had good luck vs. United in 40 years, I swear to God.

No Parker, Bale or VDV and they are a Saha mishit from being up 1-0

#127 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Just like that...

Motherfucker...I think 97% of United goals vs. Spurs come off set pieces

#128 teddykgb

• 2965 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

i have no idea how you guys aren't winning this match, you've been the better team by far.

There was never any doubt that the goal was going to be pulled back for United, anything they can do to keep Ferguson happy.

Edited by teddykgb, 04 March 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#129 eddiew112

• 887 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wasteful all day and lack of focus on the defensive end

#130 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

There was never any doubt that the goal was going to be pulled back for United, anything they can do to keep Ferguson happy.

I hope this is your mantra if we take the league.

#131 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm so angry that I might lock this forum down completely

#132 teddykgb

• 2965 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

I hope this is your mantra if we take the league.

"if"? You're going to get kicked out of the United club for showing such deference.

#133 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

The title race was over after last week's disaster but now all of a sudden Arsenal is only four points off Spurs, third place doesn't look nearly as certain as it did two weeks ago. Somewhat concerning, thank God Chelsea lost. First EPL Spurs match I've missed all year, due to work, was hoping for something from this match...

#134 Apisith

• 975 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Re: Adebayor

I think you guys have a 14m option on him.

#135 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

That's a no brainer for me then.

#136 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Woooooooo! Beat Stevenage! First win in the last four matches. Hopefully they can beat Everton on Saturday, watching the match with a dozen to twenty Everton fans. Luckily, there's a third floor to the building we're watching it in to jump off if they lose...

#137 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Beat Stevenage!

yay

#138 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2680 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Woooooooo! Beat Stevenage! First win in the last four matches. Hopefully they can beat Everton on Saturday, watching the match with a dozen to twenty Everton fans. Luckily, there's a third floor to the building we're watching it in to jump off if they lose...

Are you in Liverpool? I know of no other place you could find "a dozen to twenty Everton fans."

And I say that as someone who roots for Everton whenever possible.

#139 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Are you in Liverpool? I know of no other place you could find "a dozen to twenty Everton fans."

And I say that as someone who roots for Everton whenever possible.

This guy who is a huge Revs fan frequents the bar I work at one the weekends and him and several of his buddies have been Everton fans for sometime now and they are having several guys from the Boston Evertonians come up to watch the match together with them in Nashua, NH at the Nashua Garden. Sadly, the only Spurs fans in attendance will be me and my friend, Greg. We don't really know any other Spurs fans in the area and don't ever feel like driving to Boston to watch a match with the Boston Spurs guys.

But yea, Spurs really need a win and I'd like to be able to not listen to a dozen Everton fans enjoy a win against the finest club in London to this point in the season.

#140 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

We need to organize something for sometime this season now that this thread isn't just me and Zomp's trolling ass.

If I can come from Cranston, you can come from Nashua.

#141 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

We need to organize something for sometime this season now that this thread isn't just me and Zomp's trolling ass.

If I can come from Cranston, you can come from Nashua.

I would up for something definitely. Meeting in Mass for a Sunday morning game isn't the best idea, can't drink, and not that drinking is essential but it helps. But yea I would enjoy watching a match with more than one other person who supports Tottenham. We invite guys to the bar who notice the Tottenham banner hanging above the register but no one really every shows up.

#142 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Big game today. Need to start taking maximum points o teams you should beat to lock in that 3rd spot.

#143 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7261 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Surprised Bale is on the right and Modric on the left.

#144 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Well you know Harry....tactics are for the weak and boring.

He needs to tell these fucks that they should at least try and get some points rather than let Everton completely control the tempo,

#145 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I had to watch this shit show with 15 Everton fans. I have lost the will to live.

#146 URI

• 9180 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Just wait until tomorrow when we tell loved ones that for a couple goal, Demba Ba can have his choice of offspring for insertion in any orifice.

#147 Tangled Up In Red

• 927 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

What the suck?!
Didn't see the match, can someone explain where the wheels are coming off.

#148 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I was half in the bag by the time the match was over, but just not a whole lot in the way of attacking thrust. Not the same type of movement of the ball or chance creation like earlier in the year. They had a bunch of shots but not many were on target. Personally, don't like Sandro and Parker starting together in the middle, Modric and Parker together in the middle works much better. I don't how fit or unfit VDV and Lennon are but they were on the bench and VDV came on late.

They had a ton of possession in the match and I don't think the defense was bad, really, just seems like lacking creativity. Bale started on the right as well, hate when they do that.

#149 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

That big fat lead is essentially gone, a whole one point ahead of Arsenal now.

#150 teejay1324

• 482 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Been tough to put any thought about Spurs together since Saturday, just a crazy, horrible, situation. I had no volume where I was watching the game which made things even more confusing. But it seems like Maumba is going to live, at the least, isn't paralyzed and has been talking some too. Great, great news.

But the game against Stoke is on for tomorrow at the Lane and the boys have got to be about as desperate for points as they have been all season, what with Arsenal on their heels and the big one against Chelsea this Saturday. Hopefully they can get the tragedy out of their minds, playing on the same pitch, and focus enough on the game to get a good result. It will be interesting to watch unfold and not really in a good way but Spurs need to buckle down at home tomorrow.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users