Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Arsenal 2011-2012: HAPPY ST. TOTTERINGHAM'S DAY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
609 replies to this topic

#51 twhan1978

• 43 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

For a team that doesnt spend a lot, why waste the 12 million and instead spend it where it is better needed?

Thing is, no rational Arsenal supporter (1) thinks this is a waste of money or, more importantly, (2) thinks that NOT spending the money here would increase, in any way at all, the likelihood that it gets spent elsewhere "where it is better needed". At this point, that's just not Arsene's MO.

Every transfer period fans hear that Arsenal/Arsene have money to spend and that money is almost never spent, meaning either (1) the club lies to the fans every transfer period about having money to spend or (2) Arsene won't spend money unless he thinks that he's getting a good deal. I believe it's (2) and that Arsene only assesses whether he's getting a good deal in isolation (i.e. he will only buy a player if he internally values the player, as an individual player, more highly than the selling club does, without regard for whether buying that player will make a material difference for the team equal to or greater than the amount the selling club wants for the player).

#52 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

Pete Wood of Le Grove had this to say:

"It's just amazing that we've spent the whole summer trying to buy Gary Cahill or Chris Samba but have been told that we won't pay over the odds."But we will pay top dollar for a young talent who has been playing in League One?

"I'm sure Oxlade-Chamberlain is going to be a good player, but it leaves you wondering: 'Where are Arsenal's priorities?'

"They've got a lot of talented young, fast players already - and they need a centre-back. Fan expectation has never been so low.

"Finishing fourth will seem like winning a trophy. It leaves you thinking this will be Wenger's last season."

The biggest thing is that the club hasn't clearly stated to fans the financial situation. I don't mind the conservative fiscal policies of the club especially with the debt situation, but I think the board sends a lot of smoke signals that don't always pan out. As twhan said, there's always talk about how much money we have to spend, but Wenger then disappoints us with his lack of activity.

From the way the media portrays it, it seems like there are players he's after, but he never follows through with. Many of them have been defenders. I think Pete Wood makes a good point in that we've heard rumors about AOC for a while for as low as £7 million and now it's up to £12 with possible bonuses to add to that. He budged £5 million to get a midfielder, but he won't budge to get a defender? In the past year, he's missed out on Smailing and Jones (beaten both times by Sir Alex) and he hasn't met the valuations for Cahill, Samba, and Jagielka. Furthermore, he couldn't get Mertesacker or Sakho.

Everyone knows we have a weak center. It's no secret. Rather than get some of these top guys, he's bringing in values from France who don't have the speed or strength to compete in England. I just have no idea what he's doing here. It's the position that we have needed addressed the most the last few years and he hasn't delivered. It's not like we haven't been talking about bringing in a centerback for the last few years. Bringing in a proven commodity over multiple value players probably would have saved Arsenal money and perhaps helped us win some trophy. And now, e
ven before this AOC deal, we've been hearing we're strapped for cash on a defender deal or the Mata deal until we sell Nasri or Cesc. All of a sudden, we have this money to spend on AOC?

It's the lack of clarity that's really bothering me. That coupled with the fact that we really need a defender. It's boiling over a bit. Our preseason was incredibly disappointing. We conceded leads in 4 of the 6 games that we played. I don't care if substitutes were on when the goals were scored, it shows a lack of focus and commitment from the squad that that was the case. You think you can do that in the Premier League? Absolutely not.

I like the AOC move though. I think he'll be a good player for us and he brings the additional benefit of being English and actually wanting to play for this club. AOC is proud to be a Gunner. We really lack that fighting spirit and determination outside of Wilshere and may be Vermaelen if he can stay on the pitch.

Insta-Edit: He's also dragged this on until the start of the season. Whoever we bring in won't have preseason to mesh with our other centerbacks. Meanwhile, SAF acted early to get Phil Jones who has been playing the entire preseason in the role he might play (CB and RB).

Edited by sachmoney, 09 August 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#53 No. 19

• 285 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

A bit of good Arsenal news -- Ryo Miyaichi has been granted his work permit

#54 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

Thing is, no rational Arsenal supporter (1) thinks this is a waste of money or, more importantly, (2) thinks that NOT spending the money here would increase, in any way at all, the likelihood that it gets spent elsewhere "where it is better needed". At this point, that's just not Arsene's MO.

Every transfer period fans hear that Arsenal/Arsene have money to spend and that money is almost never spent, meaning either (1) the club lies to the fans every transfer period about having money to spend or (2) Arsene won't spend money unless he thinks that he's getting a good deal. I believe it's (2) and that Arsene only assesses whether he's getting a good deal in isolation (i.e. he will only buy a player if he internally values the player, as an individual player, more highly than the selling club does, without regard for whether buying that player will make a material difference for the team equal to or greater than the amount the selling club wants for the player).

Sounds frustrating

#55 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

To those of you who doubted my claim that Denilson was the worst player in England I submit this:

YoungGunsBlog Jamie Sanderson
Denílson sent off again for São Paulo tonight. That's two red cards in three matches since his return to Brazil. Unreal.

#56 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Lmao. They don't have automatic bans after red cards in Brasil? Keep that memace off the field

#57 Terras

• Says he wants a Revolution

• 1,493 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Barcelona are certain they have finally succeeded in their long pursuit of Cesc Fabregas with a package worth around £31million. Arsenal were still waiting to receive any such bid but the clamour from reliable Catalan sources suggested a verbal agreement was very close.

And to make matters worse for Arsene Wenger, he also looks set to lose Samir Nasri to Manchester City after a change of heart at the Emirates.

Arsenal have also decided to accept bids of £22m for Nasri, which could leave them bereft ahead of their opener at Newcastle on Saturday.

Juan Mata is expected to join from Valencia and Wenger is chasing at least one centre half.

Cesc to Barca for 35 million pounds, along with Nasri set to join Man City for 22 mil. It was only a matter time, but still... just... *sigh.*

Edited by Terras, 11 August 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#58 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,662 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Juan Manuel Mata is better than Nasri. Is Arsenal getting a couple of new Barca hostages along with the 35M? That would be fun.

#59 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

Juan Manuel Mata is better than Nasri. Is Arsenal getting a couple of new Barca hostages along with the 35M? That would be fun.

Well they're already pissed off about us "stealing" Miquel and that kid we just signed last season Jon Toral.

Still wishing Alcantara would be included though.

#60 MarkInLondon

• Texas resident

• 5,139 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

So that's £50m plus that Arsene has got to spend.

You can get five nineteen year old attacking midfield prodigies for that.

#61 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Is take Mata and Samba and they can still turn a profit off that 50 which we all know is the true intent

#62 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,662 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

So that's £50m plus that Arsene has got to spend.

You can get five nineteen year old attacking midfield prodigies for that.

Five, if they're foreign. Two if they're English (or fit the home grown rules).

#63 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

It's also like 10 terrible centre backs from France who are old and already too slow for the English game. Arsene loves those guys.

#64 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

"We will not do (a deal for) Juan Mata. I don't have to give a reason," said Wenger

So cheap ass Arsenal rolls on

#65 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,662 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

He's daring Stan to fire him. And Stan should. That's just retarded.

#66 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5,608 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Unless he's following Stan's orders.

#67 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Okay, so it's easy to be unhappy with the result, but you can't say it was unexpected. Obviously, the overhanging issue right now is Nasri and Fabregas leaving while there are no foreseeable incoming players. However, one of the biggest absences today might have been Wilshere, who undoubtedly will be our best midfielder after the departures of those two players. I expected a draw going in, so I'm not that disappointed. It would have been nice to score a goal, but I was more so pleased with the clean sheet. I'm thrilled that Vermaelen is back and Koscielny looked decent as well. Additionally, Woj looked reassuring in goal for the most part. I think you have to take the positives out of the game. That's all.

We have Udinese on Wednesday Tuesday, and it's a fixture that I am very worried about. We desperately need to win in order to get a high profile transfer, in my opinion, as no one is going to want to come to a club without top flight European football this season and possibly in the seasons to come. I'm not convinced that we have the tools to do it as of right now. We'll see.

Edited by sachmoney, 13 August 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#68 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Verminator is a boss. He needs a dance partner and I feel like we can win a lot of games 1-0 like the Arsenal of old. We still DOMINATED the ball all day today.

#69 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

I thought it was a good defensive performance all around. For me, Song was probably the player of the game and he stomped on Barton for that stupid haircut (the barber should have gotten the red). But the inability of the midfield to get RVP the f'n ball or to come up with anything. Jeez. Ramsey was a ghost as was Arshavin (sell this guy, please).

Not a bad effort considering the exits of the two best players hanging over the club. The inability of playmaker going forward does scare the shit outta me though.

#70 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Cesc Fabregas is dead to me.

Edited by sachmoney, 14 August 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#71 twhan1978

• 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Positives from yesterday's game:
  • As noted above, Song looked impressive
  • Gervinho looked eager to take people on and like he has the ability to beat them one-on-one regularly
  • Ramsey actually looked decent as a distributing midfielder - I look forward to him partnering with Wilshere
  • Verm looked awesome - so much so that I thought even Kosc looked like he had a decent game
Negatives from yesterday's game:
  • Aside from Gervinho, there isn't anyone on the team who looks like he has the ability to beat defenders one-on-one
  • RvP doesn't look like a top-notch striker if he doesn't have great service - meaning that it seems like he always needs to be put through or at least set up on his left foot if he's going to score; he should have gotten a good effort on goal from the right side of the box at one point, but his need to use his left foot preventing him (Ithink) from even getting a shot on goal
  • Walcott isn't a winger - he has two main attributes: speed and an ability to shoot - but not dribbling; I think he needs to play up top in a 4-4-2, preferably with a striker who can take advantage of his speed (RvP could be excellent in this role, I think)

As Sach said, had to be too disappointed with the result. Arsenal was the more dangerous team all game, even if they never looked THAT dangerous. They need more direct, attacking players to replace Cesc and Nasri. I don't know if Mata fits that bill but if he does, then I'm all in favor of that move, And, of course, I would love it if the Nasri+-for-Tevez rumor is true. Tevez's refuse-to-lose mentality could do a lot for this team's psyche.

#72 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,576 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Surprising kiss off from Wenger in his statement. It's basically the same statement he would give if Bendtner or Eboue went. I can't actually find anything but Wenger seemed incredibly effusive when Henry left. I think it's a testament to how much this whole fucking saga has destabilized the club.

#73 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 734 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

• Walcott isn't a winger - he has two main attributes: speed and an ability to shoot - but not dribbling; I think he needs to play up top in a 4-4-2, preferably with a striker who can take advantage of his speed (RvP could be excellent in this role, I think)

I think you're underselling Walcott's skills quite a bit here- his positional awareness and defensive workrate have improved significantly over the past two seasons, to the point where I would consider them strengths. Also, while he's not a great crosser, he sends in low, hard passes to the striker that cut through the defense and get the job done. Walcott's a top winger, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlTpJKfztA4&feature=channel_video_title

#74 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Positives from yesterday's game:

• As noted above, Song looked impressive
  • Gervinho looked eager to take people on and like he has the ability to beat them one-on-one regularly
  • Ramsey actually looked decent as a distributing midfielder - I look forward to him partnering with Wilshere
  • Verm looked awesome - so much so that I thought even Kosc looked like he had a decent game
Negatives from yesterday's game:
  • Aside from Gervinho, there isn't anyone on the team who looks like he has the ability to beat defenders one-on-one
  • RvP doesn't look like a top-notch striker if he doesn't have great service - meaning that it seems like he always needs to be put through or at least set up on his left foot if he's going to score; he should have gotten a good effort on goal from the right side of the box at one point, but his need to use his left foot preventing him (Ithink) from even getting a shot on goal
As Sach said, had to be too disappointed with the result. Arsenal was the more dangerous team all game, even if they never looked THAT dangerous. They need more direct, attacking players to replace Cesc and Nasri. I don't know if Mata fits that bill but if he does, then I'm all in favor of that move, And, of course, I would love it if the Nasri+-for-Tevez rumor is true. Tevez's refuse-to-lose mentality could do a lot for this team's psyche.

Cesc is the best distributer of the ball in the world. When Van Persie, Walcott, and the other strikers made their runs, Cesc made sure the ball was where it had to be. We're going to miss that. In the meantime, we're going to have some growing pains with Ramsey and Wilshere developing a better connection with Van Persie. The one thing I really had a problem with was the lack of near post runs. Every time Gervinho or Arshavin had the ball on the wing attacking the box, it seemed Van Persie would go towards the back post. You have to attack the front post and you have to do it aggressively.

I think Ramsey had to play further back a bit because of the absence of Wilshere. Rosicky isn't as good a defensive player as Wilshere or Ramsey, so there was more responsibility the welshman had to take on. Hopefully, Jack gets healthy, which should allow Ramsey to get up more. Ramsey's a very capable player:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4iNyR_ZsaQ
Wales didn't name him captain for nothing.

I think you're underselling Walcott's skills quite a bit here- his positional awareness and defensive workrate have improved significantly over the past two seasons, to the point where I would consider them strengths. Also, while he's not a great crosser, he sends in low, hard passes to the striker that cut through the defense and get the job done. Walcott's a top winger, imo.

That's the game I think Arsenal really first played with a strong tactical understanding defensively. I think one of the knocks on Theo is that he doesn't help out as much defensively as he could and should, but that's an example of how he's improved. Really, Arsenal need to defend from the front. The wings need to tuck back to help/protect the fullbacks. I think Theo still has to improve, but he's gotten more responsible over the last year. His speed is not only a weapon defensively, but it should help him get back and cover ground defensively. He needs to understand that.

I'm anxious to see how Ryodinho plays for Arsenal. He has a good understanding of his responsibilities, which is awesome for a young player, and he's quick and tricky. I think his one problem will be dealing with the physicality of the English game, but he's still young. I think he can be a dynamic player for Arsenal.

We do need a more assertive midfielder/striker. I'm more compelled to say we need a striker at this point because I'm happy with a midfield of Ramsey/Wilshere/Song or Frimpong. Van Persie is great if you can get it to his feet, but something different might help. I was impressed with what I saw from Benzema today in the Super Copa.

#75 twhan1978

• 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

I agree with large parts of your analysis - Walcott is positionally aware and willing to track back to cover for Sagna when Sagna needs it. Those are both really positive parts of his game. He has improved at crossing dangerous balls into the box. But he's not a top winger, ESPECIALLY not in a 4-3-3.

That said, your description might work better as a winger in a 4-4-2, or even as a right back in a 4-4-2 (note: not saying they should make Walcott a right back). As a winger in a 4-3-3, though, and particularly in one with RvP as the center forward, low, hard crosses across the mouth of the goal aren't particularly effective. No one on Arsenal as presently constituted likes to make that run.

Walcott's willingness to work defensively and his positional awareness are actually two of the main reasons I think he would work up top as a striker in a 4-4-2. In one of the games last year against Chelsea, it was his work rate and his defending from the front that caused a Chelsea turnover that resulted directly in a goal.

#76 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Ramsey to Walcott for the first goal of the campaign

#77 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Really think we're going to need to get one more to put pressure on Udinese in the second leg, but Alex Song has been an absolute monster, covering ground, this half. I'm liking what I'm seeing from Ramsey to both with and without the balls (good contain). Defense could look better, but there have been some counterattacks that they've stood strong against. With the personnel we have on the bench, I'm not sure I make a change. May be Arshavin. Rosicky would be the player to take out, but I think we could benefit from more cover in the form of Frimpong.

Next 45 should be interesting.

#78 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Boring boring Arsenal wins 1-0.

Shocker of the century: it only took 3 halves of football before Kieran Gibbs got injured this season. I told Sach before the season I gave it 3 games, guess I was too generous.

Djourou being hurt after wards was the shit-icing on the shit-cake. At least they won and will have reinforcements for the 2nd leg in RVP and Wilshere. Chamakh was dreadful today. This team could really use another striker who isn't Bendtner or Chamakh.

Time to spend some of that Fabregas money, Arsene. This team needs help badly to stay in the top 4.

#79 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Ramsey & Wilshere is one heck of a pairing, long term, in the middle of the pitch. Is Lansbury still around somewhere?

#80 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Lansbury is on the Reserves team right now but there was talk of another loan spell at Norwich back at the beginning of August.

If we dont bring in anyone to replace Cesc I think it'd be foolish to loan him out again.

#81 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

If it were me, I send Lansbury out to get first team experience and bring in a veteran DM/M type to spell the kids (Ramsey/Wilshere) and backup Song. I know Viera retired but if he hasn't fossilized, that'd be perfect. That kind of player - someone to anchor the D.

Another striker is absolutely necessary as RVP will get dinged, again, at least twice.

#82 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

So now that Cesc sold his soul and went with the devil, I will need a new favorite player on this team. I'm doing well with the coping process, although it's been tough. You all know I loved Cesc very much. His passing has really moved me, but it's time to move on. Inevitably, this is tied with my getting a new jersey. It's the 125th anniversary kit, so I gotta get one. So I wanted to go through the options:

Jack Wilshere
Posted Image

Wilshere would appear to be the clear front runner. He is the future of England. He was the youngest ever Arsenal debutante. His is fearless with his playing style, challenging players who are much larger and older than him. He plays with passion. He grew up with Arsenal.

He also watches gossip girl and he also impregnated his ex-girlfriend (child support is the negative here). Oh, and he's been in several altercations outside bars, which make me question his character.

It's his footballing talent that puts him at the top though.

Theo Walcott
Posted Image

Theo is another Englishman playing for Arsenal. He's fast. He's fast. Did I mention he's fast? He also scores some goals. And he's fast. What else?
Posted Image

Dragon tattoo! He also makes decisions with the ball which make me question whether he understands the game.

He also wrote a book. He talks shit about Capello. I like that.

Robin van Persie
Posted Image

Van Persie is the new captain. He's by far the most talented player on this team. He's the most senior first team member. His goal scoring record is solid and has been great as of late. He can do it all.

The concern is, with the recent departures, that Van Persie won't be with the club that long. A player of Van Persie's talents deserves to be on a team that's winning silverware every year. While I'm optimistic about the players that we have, it seems unlikely that we're going to challenge for silverware this season. This makes it very likely that Van Persie will seek a transfer in the near future.

Alex Song
Posted Image

He has the best hair in the Premiership. He's got a tireless work rate and is the unsung hero of the squad. When he first took up the holding role, he would dive in a lot and get called for a lot of unnecessary fouls. As he has matured in the role, he has become one of the best holding midfielders in England. The team's performances are lacking when he's not in the line up because his efforts are always strong.

He does get a lot of cards and misses games as a result. Additionally, he has had trouble with the law and might have to do some jail time. I'm a little wary of that.

Thomas Vermaelen
Posted Image

The only negative I can say about Verm is that he missed almost all of last season and has had some injury woes.

He's the leader on the pitch and far in away the best defender on this Arsenal team. The difference in the back four with him in the line up is unbelievable. He scores goals too. If I had the choice to give out the arm band, I would give it to Verm. He's current the first vice captain. Plus, he's the Verminator:
Posted Image

Aaron Ramsey
Posted Image

It would be natural for me to pick the player who is going to play my former favorite player's position. Aaron Ramsey is that guy. Plus he's Welsh, which is actually a plus for once. He's also the captain of his national team already. On the pitch, "Rambo" shows signs that he can naturally fit as an Arsenal attacking midfielder, but he's also shown he has the work rate to be a box to box work horse. The only concern with Ramsey is that he had that horrific injury. Regardless, he has shown no ill effects from the injury from a mental stand point.

Wojiech Szczesny
Posted Image

Woj appears to be the new #1 for Arsenal as he has had two strong performances to start the season. He's funny, but a bit of a loon, so there's not a lot to dislike about him. I'm not sure how I feel about the two goalkeeping kits though:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Gervinho
Posted Image

Gervinho made an impression on me as soon as he stepped on the pitch for the first team. I mean, who can miss that forehead? But seriously, he has shown an ability to take defenders one on one. He seems like a guy genuinely happy to be at Arsenal and a player who can help energize the squad.

I think he might be kind of dumb though, since he allowed Joey Barton to get under his skin. You don't let punks like that get under your skin.

Honorable Consideration: Emmanuel Frimpong
Posted Image
Okay, he's played only a handful of first team games. However, I will contest that prior to his knee injury, he was our best player in preseason. I was really looking forward to seeing him break into the side and deputizing for Song and more importantly, keeping Denilson off the pitch. The injury was unfortunate, but he's back and he looks strong. He's from Ghana, but he moved to London at a young age and has been with Arsenal since he was 9.

Dark horses: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and anyone else Wenger buys. I haven't seen any of them play in an Arsenal uniform, so I'm not going to write something up for them. We'll see won't we?

EDIT:

I forgot Ryo Miyaichi aka Ryodinho

Posted Image

He's awesome and he's going to be a big player for us in the future. May be the best up and coming Japanese player. Getting his jersey will impress all my Japanese friends and piss off all my Korean friends.

Edited by sachmoney, 16 August 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#83 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,416 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

As a guy who owns Michael Owen and Fernando Torres Liverpool jerseys, I'll just say that it doesn't matter who you get, there's a pretty good shot you'll regret it later.

#84 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

We have a guy who scores goals but we loaned his ass out...

After reading what cesc had to say, i wish him the best. can't hate the dude. Seemed sincere and he's going home.

#85 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,253 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

You should get a Song jersey and change your hairstyle whenever he does.

#86 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

As a guy who owns Michael Owen and Fernando Torres Liverpool jerseys, I'll just say that it doesn't matter who you get, there's a pretty good shot you'll regret it later.

I own two Cesc jerseys that are going to waste. I should have diversified and gotten a Samir Nasri...Posted Image

We have a guy who scores goals but we loaned his ass out...

After reading what cesc had to say, i wish him the best. can't hate the dude. Seemed sincere and he's going home.

Are you talking about Vela?

You should get a Song jersey and change your hairstyle whenever he does.

For some reason, this doesn't sound like a good idea. Not at this point in my life.

In truth, I'm between Vermaelen and Ramsey. I thought about Miyaichi for a second, but I remember the last Japanese player whose jersey got started sucking dog balls (Daisuke) and I didn't want Miyaichi to suffer the same fate. I want him to score tons of goals for both club and country, especially against Korea.

I'm leaning towards Ramsey right now.

#87 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

You have to attack the front post and you have to do it aggressively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzikaIlr4iI

"Attack the front post!"
/Tommy Heinson voice

#88 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Song handed a 3 match ban from the FA today.

#89 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5,608 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Gervinho
Posted Image

Gervinho made an impression on me as soon as he stepped on the pitch for the first team. I mean, who can miss that forehead?

I've started listening to the Guardian's "Football Weekly" podcast (Thanks DLew!) and Raphael Honigstein referred to him as having a "street version of a combover," to which James Richardson replied with "it's the combover rebooted, if you will."

#90 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

In our earlier discussion about Lansbury, I kinda forgot we signed that Chamberlain kid. I suppose he fills what would be Henri's role.

#91 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

In our earlier discussion about Lansbury, I kinda forgot we signed that Chamberlain kid. I suppose he fills what would be Henri's role.

I don't know if I agree with this. Chamberlain is more of a winger/second striker whereas Lansbury can play on the wing or be a box to box midfielder. Lansbury has more size and more of a physical presence than Chamberlain too. They bring different things to the table. With our current lack of depth, I would hold onto Lansbury regardless of what happens. An injury to Song or Frimpong would leave us very thin.

#92 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

We signed a striker!
He's 19! And from Costa Rica!

Wait what? http://www.dailymail...ll-signing.html

#93 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

Here's some inspiration

Beat dem liverpool boys.

#94 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

GK: WOJ
D: Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Jenkinson
M: Frimpong, Ramsey, Nasri
F: Walcott, Van Persie, Arshavin

Frimpong and Jenkinson are making their Premier League debuts. Nasri playing despite an impending transfer to Man City. It is most certainly his last hurrah. No Eboue. No Eboue. No Eboue.

#95 ElUno20

• 1,446 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Pretty unwatchable today and going forward this team looks really weak. Top 8, Top 10 look like more reasonable goals.

The exception being vermaelen of course. He was outstanding. Really shut down Carroll

Edited by ElUno20, 20 August 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#96 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,970 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Total lack of offensive creativity except Nasri, who is out the door.

This team is in a lot of trouble.

#97 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

So I was irate when I heard Roberto Mancini say that we should not play Nasri in the Champions League Wednesday:

"If Nasri plays against Udinese, it could be possible [to pursue other targets[, yes." Mancini said. "I think we can close [the deal] in the next two days, but if he plays in the Champions League, it will be a big a problem. A big problem.

Obviously, I understand that Arsenal had a similar situation with Squillaci not playing for Sevilla last year. The circumstances are different in that Wenger did not ask Sevilla to not play Squillaci, but rather Squillaci refused to play. Obviously, Nasri could do the same thing for Arsenal on Wednesday, but we haven't heard of anything that suggests that he would do that as of yet.

I'm still incensed that another manager would publicly declare his desire that a player from another club that his club is linked with does not play in a potential cup tying game. Yeah, I understand his desire to get Nasri, but it's off-putting and seems unnecessary. Surely, if Arsenal really wanted the transfer to go through, they would not play him. Honestly, part of me wants to play Nasri just to spite Mancini.

But is it really worth it?

Arsenal are in the interesting quandary where they need to qualify for the Champions League Group Stage which is worth an estimated £25 million. The reported transfer fee for Nasri is somewhere between £20-25 million. Nasri could potentially make up the deficit that would incur if Arsenal doesn't advance. When you bring in the fee and get Nasri off the books, you're in the black on this. It's a risky proposition.

Whether you have the Nasri money or not, it is necessary that Arsenal make the group stage. They need to bring someone in, not necessarily for a Champions League run, but to help keep their domestic seasons afloat. The team is completely out of sorts right now, and even without the injuries and suspensions, there seems to be a lack of quality. That would suggest that you should play him.

However, if he plays and Arsenal doesn't advance to the Group Stage, the £25 million budgeted from the Group Stage might have to come from the Fabregas money. That would leave us with only a few million to work with. This would be the primary case for selling Nasri.

What's more is that Nasri isn't really worth what City are willing to pay for him. Yeah, Mata just went to Chelsea for a similar fee, but I'm pretty sure Mata wasn't on the last year of his contract. His interests in moving were motivated primarily out of Champions League football and Valencia's precarious financial situation. Mata's career statistics are much more proven, having scored 46 goals and assisted 45 over the last four seasons versus Nasri's 33 goals and 31 assists. You're getting a great transfer fee for Nasri.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced that having Nasri for a year is really worth it. While I rate him as a very good player, I don't rate him as the type of game changer that Fabregas and Van Persie are, and what a Ramsey or Wilshere might become. Of his 17 goals and 4 assists last season, only 3 goals and 1 assist came after the New Year. He faded big time in the second half. He's just not as influential a player.

It would be stupid to just let him go, but you can probably get someone else that will sign for you for a longer period of time with that money. Arsene has long been linked with Eden Hazard. Hazard would come in with similar statistics as Nasri in regards to his experience in Ligue 1. What's more is that Hazard will have some chemistry with a couple of Arsenal's players since he played with Gervinho at Lille and Vermaelen is his compatriot. For that reason, I feel the transition would be less taxing.

Another option would be Mauro Zarate from Lazio. Zarate is unhappy with the circumstances at Lazio where he has fallen to third choice and Lazio have said Zarate could depart. In Zarate, Arsenal would be getting a productive playmaker and someone who can help support Van Persie. Over the last three seasons at Lazio, Zarate has scored 25 goals and assisted 19. He could be a productive player at the Emirates and has been witnessed thus far, Arsenal could use additional firepower.

There are options out there for Arsene. I mention these two instead of some of the others because I think these two would make a real impact for Arsenal. We do still need that elusive centerback. We could probably use a regular midfielder. Offensively, these are the two players who can probably make the most impact.

Arsene has some choices to make in the next 48 hours.

#98 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,253 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I find Mancini refreshingly honest about his transfers. He says there will be more business to be made, publicly names his targets, updates the press, etc...

I think you are underrating Nasri because he is a bit of a cunt. He can play anywhere in the midfield and is very creative. I don't have a problem with the transfer fee, truthfully I think he is worth more than 25 mil because of his age...but City is rumored to have offered him 200k a week in salary which is nuts.

#99 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7,974 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

I find Mancini refreshingly honest about his transfers. He says there will be more business to be made, publicly names his targets, updates the press, etc...

I think you are underrating Nasri because he is a bit of a cunt. He can play anywhere in the midfield and is very creative. I don't have a problem with the transfer fee, truthfully I think he is worth more than 25 mil because of his age...but City is rumored to have offered him 200k a week in salary which is nuts.

May be because he's not talking about players who are under contract at your club? :)

I don't think I'm underrating Nasri either. I said he is a very good player. I just think his consistency isn't where it should be to be considered with the top talents of the world. My point about the transfer fee was that since he's in the last year of his contract, he has all the leverage. "You can either sell me now for something or you will see me go elsewhere for nothing." If Nasri was signed to a longer deal, I think we could probably get more for him in this market. The one advantage he has over Mata is that he has played in England and done well. Additionally, you generally pay a premium to get players from a fellow domestic side. Comparatively, you can look at the price we would have paid for Chamakh, which was in the £6 million range. That had no domestic premium, but was brought down by Chamakh being in his last year. Bordeaux held onto Chamakh, and we got him for nothing.

The wages City pays its players are ridiculous. Good for them though.

#100 Snakebauer007

• Berezovsky

• 2,190 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

The wages are crazy, the fee not so much, I just don't see why they're so hell bent to get him