Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jim Tressel has resigned

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#51 BelgianSoxFan

• 478 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

It is funny that these relatively small violations are causing such huge stir, while the blatant academic cheating which goes on in probably all big programs is ignored. I have heard about folks taking a TV class at a Big 10 school with the only requirement being to watch TV for a few hours a week with no reports required and the football team taking separate exams at an SEC school (because of scheduling) and then asking the proctor for the answers (and when they did not get it, just take their books out and look them up - this was not an open book exam) - only time my friend had to proctor for them - I guess he was replaced by someone more helpful. I doubt that these 2 schools were the only ones doing this stuff.

#52 LeftyTG

• 739 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

I think this has to play into the penalty as well. While USC players were taking money for years they only have evidence to my knowledge on the Reggie Bush class and forward, this has been habitual. However if Claretts class is found to have done any wrong doing I wouldn't be shocked to see that national title taken away. The one part that is disturbing is the raffles, from my understanding from the article it seemed like he used them to entice kids to head to OSU. This is a major violation, I think the tattoos are only the surface of what really went on over there. I would be shocked if Pryor played another down for OSU, I think he's probably either going to sit out a year or head to the CFL?

Switzer lucked out, they weren't going to pop SMU and his program around the same time period. We still don't know all of the details on OSU, more seems to be coming out as time goes on. That's the scary thing, at least we knew what USC did (for the most part)...this seems worse, especially with the raffle story breaking last night.

You seem hung up on this raffle thing. The allegations are that the raffle stuff happened in the mid 80's when Tressel was an assistant. I'm not expert on the NCAA, but I'd be shocked if the allegations around fixing raffles from the 80's has much, if any, impact on anything. In my reading of the SI article, the stuff about the raffle fixing was put in there to add weight to the idea that Tressel isn't oblivious to all that was going on around him.

#53 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

I think he was joking with the raffle stuff. At least I hope he was.

#54 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9947 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I think he was joking with the raffle stuff. At least I hope he was.

What about the story would lead you to believe that any aspect of the raffle story was a joke?

#55 JMDurron

• 4254 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

What about the story would lead you to believe that any aspect of the raffle story was a joke?

SBN can speak for himself, but I don't think he meant that the raffle story was a joke, but that Tyrone Biggums' main concern being the raffle might be a joke. I don't think TB was joking, though.

#56 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

SBN can speak for himself, but I don't think he meant that the raffle story was a joke, but that Tyrone Biggums' main concern being the raffle might be a joke. I don't think TB was joking, though.

This exactly what I meant. Take from it what you will, but if a 30 year old story from an anonymous source about rigging a raffle at a summer camp is the smoking gun then there is no reason to worry in Columbus.

That is literally the least of their concerns.

#57 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9947 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks - that makes sense.

Edit: Just saw your reply SBN, and I agree. Frankly, the whole discussion about the raffle confused me, because it's so completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Edited by Average Reds, 31 May 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#58 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

I can safely report that all of us Penn State alumni are immensely enjoying Ohio State's problems. And we're happy Pryor never set foot in our program. I suspect Michigan alums feel the same way.

#59 someoneanywhere

• 3127 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

You seem hung up on this raffle thing. The allegations are that the raffle stuff happened in the mid 80's when Tressel was an assistant. I'm not expert on the NCAA, but I'd be shocked if the allegations around fixing raffles from the 80's has much, if any, impact on anything. In my reading of the SI article, the stuff about the raffle fixing was put in there to add weight to the idea that Tressel isn't oblivious to all that was going on around him.

Read the quote. The raffle thing was included in the story not because it's a violation, and not because it shows how much Tressel knew about this or that, but because it is meant as an illustration -- apparently one well known and long known in the coaching ranks -- of the kind of hypocrisy Tressel represents. He cared not a whit for the kids without talent -- the "least of these," according to the same Bible that Tressel was "reading in the morning," the same kids who were saving up their summer money to come his camp. He cared not for the last but for the first, not for the have nots but for the haves, not for humble and the meek but for the best ones, the great ones. We are meant to learn something about Tressel through it, not anything about what Tressel was or was not doing.

Whether the story is an accurate depiction of what was happening at summer camps -- I happen to think it is, as this kind of stuff goes on in the most subtle of ways -- it is, in effect, a parable. We are left to judge for ourselves whether it is true about him.

#60 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3376 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

If he was doing this at Youngstown, what makes you think he didn't do it at OSU? If the coaching staff is rigging contests for student athletes it is an infraction, minor but still one. The whole program is a mess. You have a QB that has been seen around campus with multiple cars and boosters around every corner. I'm using it as an example that Tressel isn't a moron and in some cases partook in some of these things. In reality, everyone does it however Tressel got caught. Not because of a pissed off booster or a former player, he got caught because of an email he neglected to forward and tat-gate.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 01 June 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#61 LeftyTG

• 739 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Read the quote. The raffle thing was included in the story not because it's a violation, and not because it shows how much Tressel knew about this or that, but because it is meant as an illustration -- apparently one well known and long known in the coaching ranks -- of the kind of hypocrisy Tressel represents. He cared not a whit for the kids without talent -- the "least of these," according to the same Bible that Tressel was "reading in the morning," the same kids who were saving up their summer money to come his camp. He cared not for the last but for the first, not for the have nots but for the haves, not for humble and the meek but for the best ones, the great ones. We are meant to learn something about Tressel through it, not anything about what Tressel was or was not doing.

Whether the story is an accurate depiction of what was happening at summer camps -- I happen to think it is, as this kind of stuff goes on in the most subtle of ways -- it is, in effect, a parable. We are left to judge for ourselves whether it is true about him.

I did read the quote and I guess I didn't do a great job explaining myself, as I agree completely with what you are saying. In my defense, I wasn't trying in my post to expound on the meaning of the raffle story so much as point out to TB the ridiculousness of harping on the raffle story as grounds for how the NCAA is going to bring the hammer on OSU.

If he was doing this at Youngstown, what makes you think he didn't do it at OSU? If the coaching staff is rigging contests for student athletes it is an infraction, minor but still one. The whole program is a mess. You have a QB that has been seen around campus with multiple cars and boosters around every corner. I'm using it as an example that Tressel isn't a moron and in some cases partook in some of these things. In reality, everyone does it however Tressel got caught. Not because of a pissed off booster or a former player, he got caught because of an email he neglected to forward and tat-gate.

I'm starting to think I'm just getting messed with by TB here...but the raffle stuff didn't happen to Youngstown, it happened when Tressel was an assistant at OSU in the 80's.

#62 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

If he was doing this at Youngstown, what makes you think he didn't do it at OSU?

The raffle stuff in the article refers when he was an OSU assistant in 80s. 99.9% likely the source is Bill Conley.

You can draw from it what you like, but I'm pretty sure every coach in college football would laugh if you took that to the NCAA. They don't even run camps like that anymore and if you've been around the current incarnations you realize there are far more egregious violations happening that no one cares about.

#63 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3376 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

The raffle stuff in the article refers when he was an OSU assistant in 80s. 99.9% likely the source is Bill Conley.

You can draw from it what you like, but I'm pretty sure every coach in college football would laugh if you took that to the NCAA. They don't even run camps like that anymore and if you've been around the current incarnations you realize there are far more egregious violations happening that no one cares about.

Someone here mentioned Youngstown...I thought it was OSU back in the 80s. The raffle is a minor thing but its an example of all the small stuff that never gets noticed or flies under the radar. Ive said my peace on the matter, I never said the raffle stuff was the biggest infraction and I also mentioned it was minor but troubling. The biggest is obviously the perks these guys are getting whether we can prove them (selling rings/Jerseys) or safely assume (car dealerships).

Auburn should be watching this closely, they're most likely next.

#64 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5455 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

I think the whole raffle thing speaks to some lack of character by the vest more than anything else.

As an MSU alum this whole thing pisses me off. If that cheater doesn't lie and withhold last year MSU ends up in a 2 way tie with Wisconsin and goes to the Rose Bowl. Instead, OSU, the Big Ten nor the NCAA bothers to suspend the 5 tattoo's for the Sugar Bowl. If they did MSU at least ends up in that bowl game. Instead, we end up in the shithole that is the Citrus Bowl Stadium and get waxed by Bama, which showed up and played for the only time all year.

The thing that sucks to me is that the vest won't really get any NCAA punishment at all now. Yes, he had to resign and that is punishment. However, he can lay in the weeds for 2-3 years and be Kirk Herbstriet's new ESPN sidekick and then get a new gig somewhere else most likely without NCAA reprimand.

Yes, I'm ranting at 1am.
I hope the NCAA throws the hammer at OSU. Sadly, I think Akron is about to get its ass kicked by the NCAA instead.

#65 JMDurron

• 4254 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Ohio State Vacates 2010 Season, Imposes 2-Year Probation

Ohio State vacates wins from 2010 football season, places program on probation

An "embarrassed" Ohio State University is wiping its stellar 2010 football season from the record books as self-imposed punishment for major NCAA violations.

But it is not suggesting that the team lose scholarships or be banned from postseason play.

In a response submitted today to the NCAA, Ohio State admits allegations that then-coach Jim Tressel lied and allowed ineligible players to compete by failing to report that they had sold OSU-issued memorabilia to a tattoo-parlor owner.

Ohio State concedes major violations of NCAA regulations but says it should not face harsher punishment, because no OSU official other than Tressel was aware of player violations, according to the response that was obtained by The Dispatch.

I'm not aware of a team self-imposing a vacated season upon themselves before, but my NCAA football history is admittedly somewhat weak.

The university concedes it is a "repeat violator" of NCAA regulations but contends that its "corrective and punitive actions are appropriate" and asks that the football program be spared additional punishment.

OSU also reported that it sought the resignation of Tressel, who departed on May 30. Until athletic director Gene Smith acknowledged that fact yesterday, Ohio State officials had repeatedly said that Tressel was not forced out.

In addition to vacating the wins from its 12-1 season along with its Big Ten and Sugar Bowl championships, the university has placed its football program on probation for two years effective today, Ohio State reported to the NCAA.

No word on what the two years of probation involves, specifically.

There was also another player involved in the tattoo scandal, according to Ohio State's findings.

Today's report also reveals that the university has identified one additional football player who received discounts on tattoos and has declared him ineligible. The university has requested that the NCAA reinstate the unnamed player.

The Dispatch reported today that Ohio State is increasing compliance efforts and staffing. The report to the NCAA includes new restrictions on how and when players receive awards, in an attempt to ensure they do not sell them.

Players must prove they still have their championship rings and watches and will not receive other items, such as gold-pants charms for Michigan wins and game-worn helmets, until they leave the program.

If I'm reading that last line correctly, further memorabilia sales/trades will effectively be impossible going forward. I suppose players could still trade their autographs on non-personal goods for improper benefits, but it seems like a pretty reasonable action to take.

Now the issue becomes whether or not the NCAA is satisfied by these pretty significant (IMO) self-imposed sanctions, or if the scope of the self-imposed sanctions is merely a sign of how royally screwed the program is about to be.

#66 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5107 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Non-story. Back to business as usual on Monday. /seaBassNeely

#67 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7466 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Nope. Doesn't erase the memory of the 2010 ass-kicking. I don't really see the point of vacating wins.

#68 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

old friend Mike Vrabel, efficient touchdown scorer, has allegedly been hired as Buckeyes LB coach.

#69 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Non-story. Back to business as usual on Monday. /seaBassNeely

10-2 and another Big Ten title on the way.

#70 WayBackVazquez

• 5107 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

10-2 and another Big Ten title on the way.

A) LULZ.
B) Herron and Posey out for another game. Lineman Hall joins the fun.

#71 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

A) LULZ.
B) Herron and Posey out for another game. Lineman Hall joins the fun.

The expectation is still to win every game they play. That will not change. But I'll trade them all for one at the end of November.

#72 WayBackVazquez

• 5107 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

I understand the hatred for megathreads, but I really wish we could have an all-purpose OSU cheating thread. While such a thread would certainly not lack for material, it's difficult to know whether to put the latest news in the Jim Tressel thread, the Terelle Pryor thread, etc.

For good reason this has been overshadowed by PSU, but in case anyone missed it, OSU is now facing a failure to monitor charge. As has now become its M.O., Ohio has self-imposed a tiny penalty (5 lost schollies over 3 years, and vacating some wins) in no way commensurate with its crimes in the hopes of avoiding major penalties. I continue to believe that the NCAA is going to drop a major smackdown when it finally acts, and I don't expect that team to be playing in any bowl games this year.

Edited by WayBackVazquez, 11 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#73 WayBackVazquez

• 5107 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hammer dropped.

#74 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hammer dropped.

Those are some some heavy duty penalties, particularly for Tressel. He is basically out of coaching for five years. This all has to be a surprise, right?

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 20 December 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#75 WayBackVazquez

• 5107 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Those are some some heavy duty penalties, particularly for Tressel. He is basically out of coaching for five years. This all has to be a surprise, right?

I actually thought they'd get a two-year postseason ban, but other than that, not surprised at all.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:59 AM by WayBackVazquez

This whole thing is like a giant advent calendar, but you don't know when Christmas (the NCAA hammer drop) is finally going to come.

As it turned out, almost on...Christmas.

#76 JMDurron

• 4254 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

The Tressel bit can't really be much of a surprise, since he easily came out looking like the worst actor in the entire charade in the "Non-Drug Dealing Division."

Missing one bowl game, particularly after getting a free pass for last year's Sugar Bowl with the initial suspensions, doesn't seem like too much of a severe penalty. 3 scholarships out of 85 for each of the next 3 years isn't exactly crippling, either. It's between a slap on the wrist and a punch in the face, which seems somewhat reasonable given the combination of multiple small (relatively speaking) violations with the tattoos, money from a booster, and "not really" part time work with the same booster, plus a "failure to monitor" charge. Also, apparently it could have been worse, according to Yahoo's Charles Robinson.

I certainly wouldn't expect this to have any major impact on Urban Meyer's recruiting efforts, and he'll find 3 guys from the roster each year easily enough, assuming that normal attrition doesn't do the job for him anyway. This strikes me as more of a talking point for rival fans to try to use to bludgeon each other than a major disruption to the football program.

#77 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9947 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

I actually thought they'd get a two-year postseason ban, but other than that, not surprised at all.

As it turned out, almost on...Christmas.

Can't figure out how to quote the entire post because the thread is locked, but I said this on April 25th:

My guess is that the NCAA may eventually issue a "show cause" letter for Tressel, which will mean that he ends up in career purgatory with Bruce Pearl.

So yeah, no surprises.

However, the Christmas allusion in your original post combined with the timing of the ruling give you the clear win here.

#78 Zososoxfan

• 1454 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

I was a bit surprised about the news, only because the initial stages of the investigation pointed to no systemic or intentional rule-breaking (i.e. I was surprised they even got a year). As a [clearly at least somewhat biased] UM fan, I was hoping for 2 years because the more-than-just-questionable events going back to at least '01 do show systemic rule-breaking; to me, that alone is cause for a more severe penalty. The shenanigans Gee and Sweater Vest pulled over the NCAA were pretty transparently all about mitigating damage to the school and taken in conjunction with the nature and frequency of the violations, merited a 2-year bowl ban.

Moving forward, I was hoping OSU hired someone who wasn't that strong recruiting OH because Hoke has brought back some balance to that battle, but I still think both teams will be very strong going forward - these penalties wont deter many commits from picking OSU or not. The reality is that the rivalry is best when both teams are strong and today's announcement may delay OSU's return to competing for titles, but it wont significantly deter it.

#79 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7856 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

The thing I don't get is, with a 6-6 team this year, why they just didn't decline a bowl invitation this year as part of self-imposed punishment. They have a chance to contend next year. just get it out of the way now.

Also, I don't think the stigma of show cause hurts as much in football as in basketball. There are fewer assistant coaching spots available in basketball. I figure Tressel will be an assistant in the NFL for 4 years, then go back to a mid-level program, like Pitt or Illinois

Edited by Infield Infidel, 20 December 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#80 Sea Bass Neely

• 2348 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

The thing I don't get is, with a 6-6 team this year, why they just didn't decline a bowl invitation this year as part of self-imposed punishment. They have a chance to contend next year. just get it out of the way now.

Also, I don't think the stigma of show cause hurts as much in football as in basketball. There are fewer assistant coaching spots available in basketball. I figure Tressel will be an assistant in the NFL for 4 years, then go back to a mid-level program, like Pitt or Illinois

A lot of people just consider it a gross miscalculation which is possible, but I really think it was two things:

1) Horrible timing. Six games into the big ten season, it's tough to say "yeah, we're out." And without the Bobby Digeronmio stuff they probably felt pretty good going off of precedent and what not.
2) I don't think the NCAA was going to let them get the last laugh. The 6-6 year might be enough, but the Meyer thing and way the things have gone over the past couple of weeks, it probably was a bit of a slap in the face.

Time to move forward. No rewards or punishments; only consequence. We've unleashed a bull in a china shop and it's going to be exciting if nothing else.

I don't see Tress coaching at the BCS level again, but I definitely see him coaching sooner than later.

#81 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15757 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Jim Tressel has accepted a job with Akron as the VP of Strategic Engagement. His main duties will be fundraising.

#82 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8155 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Lateral move.