Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jim Tressel has resigned

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

Just heard on Mike and Mike.

Edited by RedOctober3829, 30 May 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#2 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has resigned, university sources told The Dispatch today.

Less than three months after President E. Gordon Gee and Athletic Director Gene Smith said they fully supported their embattled coach, mounting pressure, a pending NCAA disciplinary hearing and new revelations about the culture of the program forced the university to act on their once-revered coach, sources said.

Neither Gee, Smith nor Tressel could be reached immediately for comment.

Sources said assistant coach Luke Fickell, who had been named to coach the first five games of the season while Tressel served his suspension for withholding information from the university compliance office and the NCAA, will serve as interim coach of the Buckeyes all of next season.

The Dispatch has obtained a memo Gee sent to OSU trustees this morning:

"I write to let you know that later this morning we will be announcing the resignation of Jim Tressel as head coach of the University's football program. As you all know, I appointed a special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program. In consultation with the senior leadership of the University and the senior leadership of the Board, I have been actively reviewing the matter and have accepted Coach Tressel's resignation.

"My public statement will include our common understanding that throughout all we do, we are One University with one set of standards and one overarching mission. The University's enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions," Gee wrote.

Columbus Dispatch

#3 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Urban Meyer, come on down.

#4 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'd be a little surprised to see Meyer "come on down" now... this season will be a bit of a train wreck for tOSU.

They're still facing some serious charges/allegations with the NCAA.

SI is supposedly running a story this week... will be interesting to see if it is delayed to now include the resignation.

I don't know if some of the thinking here by Smith and Gee is the equivalent of sacrificing Tressel and seeking leniency from the NCAA by attempting to compartmentalize the shenanigans to Tressel.

Their previous statements of support for Tressel make this somewhat dubious and embarrasssingly cynical as a strategy, but given the mounting charges/allegations and legal costs, I guess ya-gotta-do-what-ya-gotta-do.

I think Meyer, if he's interested, will wait and see what the results of the investigation will yield prior to throwing his hat in the ring.

#5 spy5007

• 22 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Expect the SI article which comes out tonight or tomorrow to provide damning evidence and will make the timing of this resignation more sensible. Love seeing OSU suffer like this, WE ARE

#6 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

Here is a tweet from George Dohrmann who is writing the supposed big story on Tressel and the OSU situation.

I'm told it is likely my SI mag story will be posted at SI.com later today/tonight. Timing of Tress dec. will make sense after you read it

#7 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Even after 60 years, SI remains a gold standard.

Nonetheless, there will be much crying and teeth gnashing in Columbus. He beat Michigan like a drum, and many believe deep down inside that this is all that matters.

#8 Yazdog8

• 3,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

Seriously, this or his firing should have happened 3 months ago.

#9 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'd be a little surprised to see Meyer "come on down" now... this season will be a bit of a train wreck for tOSU.

They're still facing some serious charges/allegations with the NCAA.

SI is supposedly running a story this week... will be interesting to see if it is delayed to now include the resignation.

I don't know if some of the thinking here by Smith and Gee is the equivalent of sacrificing Tressel and seeking leniency from the NCAA by attempting to compartmentalize the shenanigans to Tressel.

Their previous statements of support for Tressel make this somewhat dubious and embarrasssingly cynical as a strategy, but given the mounting charges/allegations and legal costs, I guess ya-gotta-do-what-ya-gotta-do.

I think Meyer, if he's interested, will wait and see what the results of the investigation will yield prior to throwing his hat in the ring.

After a year. They will take their beating with an interim for one season.

The early short list is Meyer and Gary Patterson as the home run hires, D'Antonio as the Tressel guy, and maybe a Gary Pinkel from Mizzou as a guy with Ohio roots (Toledo) who has built a nice program at Mizzou.

#10 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5,349 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Really looking forward to the SI story. Is there going to be a separate thread for that, too?

Edited by WayBackVazquez, 30 May 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#11 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Paterno outlives another coach who beat him like a drum. :)

#12 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

This is starting to sound like a job for Forrest Gregg.

#13 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Well certainly bad timing by me in the other thread. In all honesty, I've been out of town for 3 days and hadn't heard anything. I know the SI article is supposedly pretty damning covering his time at YSU as well. Waiting until I hear more.

#14 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,551 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Well certainly bad timing by me in the other thread. In all honesty, I've been out of town for 3 days and hadn't heard anything. I know the SI article is supposedly pretty damning covering his time at YSU as well. Waiting until I hear more.

I'm sorry, but given the nonsense you've been posting about Tressel, this doesn't cut it.

You've spent a lot of time questioning the motives of anyone who would speak against Tressel and have stated as recently as last night that this was nothing more than "bad press and back to business as usual." You've made snarky comments at posters who weren't buying the whole "I would say more but I really shouldn't, but you should trust me anyway because I'm closer to this than you" BS that you've been shoveling. In short, literally every single post you've made on this subject has been wrong. And yet even after you've been exposed, you're still pushing the whole 'implied insider' angle, saying that you're "waiting until I hear more" as if you might hear something that we don't already know.

The SI article may be damning, but whatever they come up with isn't what pushed Tressel out. Like Bruce Pearl, he was dead the minute the NCAA branded him as dishonest. And by not understanding this and instead implying that we've all been duped by a media campaign pushed by disaffected players, you've demonstrated an extreme case of willful blindness.

#15 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Would he try to run the Spread offense in the Big Ten? That didn't work for Rich Rodriguez at Michigan.

#16 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,964 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Urban Meyer isn't touching this job, if he returns to coaching at all.

#17 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Urban Meyer isn't touching this job, if he returns to coaching at all.

Wanna bet? I can see him taking over in January after the NCAA whacks Ohio State. One last challenge for Meyer.

#18 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Would he try to run the Spread offense in the Big Ten? That didn't work for Rich Rodriguez at Michigan.

I think his version of the spread is vastly different. Rodriguez didn't understand how to win games in the Big Ten. He didn't understand that defense is important in a major conference. I wouldn't place much relevance on his experiences. Good coaches win lots of games wherever they coach.

This makes me sad. The story has to be about what Tressel knew and how deep this extra compensation for players problem is going to get. Worst case - there are quotes from recruits from other schools. This may mean forfeiting wins down the road.

Until Tressel came to OSU, Michigan was owning the rivalry - 10-2-1 over the previous 13 years. Since then, there's not much question Michigan was second-best in the Big Ten (more like 9th-best the last three years). If that's because OSU cheated to get recruits, that would suck.

#19 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

After a year. They will take their beating with an interim for one season.

The early short list is Meyer and Gary Patterson as the home run hires, D'Antonio as the Tressel guy, and maybe a Gary Pinkel from Mizzou as a guy with Ohio roots (Toledo) who has built a nice program at Mizzou.

**WARNING: U of M grad hyperbole**: D'Antonio makes Tressel look like Mother Theresa. Good grief, the recent string of unsavory activity and "glossing over" of some pretty bad player behavior at Moo U is embarrassing. tOSU would be nuts (pun intended!) to invite that kind of scrutiny at this point.

I still believe that the "name" guys would be smart to see what the sanctions look like prior to throwing their hats in the ring. With some reports saying the NCAA may further delay the OSU hearing, Fickell will have his opportunity to try and ride out the storm this year. But if tOSU is facing penalties similar to USC in terms of scholarship loss and bowl sanctions, I'd be hard-pressed to understand why a Meyer and Patterson would opt for that scenario given that other attractive spots are sure to open up over the next 2-3 years. D'Antonio, Pinkel, even Gruden (see Speculated replacements) would be B-level roll-of-the-dice candidates.

#20 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

I think his version of the spread is vastly different. Rodriguez didn't understand how to win games in the Big Ten. He didn't understand that defense is important in a major conference. I wouldn't place much relevance on his experiences. Good coaches win lots of games wherever they coach.

This makes me sad. The story has to be about what Tressel knew and how deep this extra compensation for players problem is going to get. Worst case - there are quotes from recruits from other schools. This may mean forfeiting wins down the road.

Until Tressel came to OSU, Michigan was owning the rivalry - 10-2-1 over the previous 13 years. Since then, there's not much question Michigan was second-best in the Big Ten (more like 9th-best the last three years). If that's because OSU cheated to get recruits, that would suck.

Recruiting violations, and cozy deals with student athletes are to college football what steroids was to MLB. It gives some schools a huge advantage over the ones that try to play by the rules. Ohio State and USC have always taken advantage of their natural resources to attract stud athletes. Back in my day, it was common knowledge that Ohio State football players got summer jobs at the Darby Dan horse farm just outside Columbus. Their job was to paint the fences white. It was a no-show job, just a way of getting the players some money.

Even then, players wanted to be paid for their pain, beyond just the price of a college scholarship. I am glad the Big Ten is contemplating a method of paying athletes in revenue-producing sports. Maybe that would eliminate some of the cheating and give Michigan and Penn State and others a chance to compete on a level playing field with the Buckeyes for players like Terrell Pryor.

Edited by terrynever, 30 May 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#21 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm sorry, but given the nonsense you've been posting about Tressel, this doesn't cut it.

You've spent a lot of time questioning the motives of anyone who would speak against Tressel and have stated as recently as last night that this was nothing more than "bad press and back to business as usual." You've made snarky comments at posters who weren't buying the whole "I would say more but I really shouldn't, but you should trust me anyway because I'm closer to this than you" BS that you've been shoveling. In short, literally every single post you've made on this subject has been wrong. And yet even after you've been exposed, you're still pushing the whole 'implied insider' angle, saying that you're "waiting until I hear more" as if you might hear something that we don't already know.

The SI article may be damning, but whatever they come up with isn't what pushed Tressel out. Like Bruce Pearl, he was dead the minute the NCAA branded him as dishonest. And by not understanding this and instead implying that we've all been duped by a media campaign pushed by disaffected players, you've demonstrated an extreme case of willful blindness.

I don't what you're so angry about. Waiting until I hear more means I'm waiting until we get more news before I formulate my own opinion and emotions on it. It is a sad story to me and I will give it more thought than I likely should, but I'm still going to drink beer today and wake up for work in the morning. Life goes on. Anything I've posted is my own opinion or public knowledge in Columbus, because as you might guess they cover the team with a little more detail then the national media.

He is done because OSU wants this to be a Jim Tressel problem and not an OSU problem. As far as the media, there is a contingent of OSU fans for whatever reason think it's a biased witch hunt or ESPN is out to get them. I've never been in that group . You open the door to that trouble, and they'll come flooding in. OSU opened the door to them and that's how it works. Do I think Robert Smith is a shitty commentator? Yeah, but I would have certainly said that 5 years ago too. Do I think Ray Small is dumb? Yes, but I'm guessing everyone is clued into this now if you heard his attempted retraction despite being taped. There are a lot of mistakes Tressel made, and you can frame it more bad than good if you want. I don't.

A lot of great men have been fired: Nixon, Patton, Earl Bruce... a lot of great men.

#22 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I agree with the first part about Meyer's spread and Rich Rod's inattention to defense. However, Michigan sunk to 9th on its own merits, mostly by changing the philosophy of a long-time successful program.
But when you're running neck-and-neck for a recruit and lose the battle because the other school is offering illegal opportunities, that's frustrating.

#23 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

There hasn't been a football coach to leave OSU under his own terms since the 1940s.

The Big Ten is going to be an absolute joke this coming year.

#24 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

A couple other things, hopefully I don't get my head bit off for here.

It appears OSU probably got a chance to look at the SI facts over the weekend and the money (ie: Les Wexner, who is basically running the university) turned against him.

I'm torn on the SI piece to the point where you almost want their to be a smoking gun so you can figure out what just happened. I have a feeling it's going to be way more about the "loose ship" that Tressel ran and A LOT of minor indiscretions. Things known for years but glossed over or no one was concerned with.

Gene Smith is a dead man walking. Very few players are around due to the holiday and it is trickling out slowly.

The scrutiny will be worse than ever now. I love Fickell but he has a really tough task. The Meyer stuff is going to be out of control and if he isn't serious would be best to put it to rest sooner than later. It's a small class and with the nature of recruiting that's not really a problem now. They definitely need someone to call plays on offense this season cause that stuff all ran though Tressel and Hazel who would be next in line left for Kent State. Also concerned for those 5 players, the one clearly isn't emotionally mature, and they're going to have a really tough go of things. You give them the benefit of the doubt and chance to correct their mistakes because they are kids, but time is running out.

Mostly sad it ended on such a negative. He invites it on himself with the persona, if you buy into it, but still thought he deserved the chance to end it on his terms as a positive. I was hoping that meant a year or two. He's half Father Flanagan/half Woody and Bobby Knight.

#25 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,551 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

A couple other things, hopefully I don't get my head bit off for here.

It appears OSU probably got a chance to look at the SI facts over the weekend and the money (ie: Les Wexner, who is basically running the university) turned against him.

I'm torn on the SI piece to the point where you almost want their to be a smoking gun so you can figure out what just happened. I have a feeling it's going to be way more about the "loose ship" that Tressel ran and A LOT of minor indiscretions. Things known for years but glossed over or no one was concerned with.

Gene Smith is a dead man walking. Very few players are around due to the holiday and it is trickling out slowly.

The scrutiny will be worse than ever now. I love Fickell but he has a really tough task. The Meyer stuff is going to be out of control and if he isn't serious would be best to put it to rest sooner than later. It's a small class and with the nature of recruiting that's not really a problem now. They definitely need someone to call plays on offense this season cause that stuff all ran though Tressel and Hazel who would be next in line left for Kent State. Also concerned for those 5 players, the one clearly isn't emotionally mature, and they're going to have a really tough go of things. You give them the benefit of the doubt and chance to correct their mistakes because they are kids, but time is running out.

Mostly sad it ended on such a negative. He invites it on himself with the persona, if you buy into it, but still thought he deserved the chance to end it on his terms as a positive. I was hoping that meant a year or two. He's half Father Flanagan/half Woody and Bobby Knight.

SBN, as a Michigan alum I have empathy for you here. Specifically, I remember the way I felt when all the dirt started to come out about the basketball program in the late 90s, and it was very painful for a lot of reasons. So I'm not trying to kill you because of any hatred for OSU

However, I have to say that I just don't get the denial. Tressel left for one reason, and one reason only. He knew that his players had committed NCAA violations and he lied about it - both to the NCAA and to the school. And that's not something a coach can survive.

At the end of the day, this isn't a good person who made a terrible mistake. He is exactly who Maurice Clarett said he was back in 2004 - he's a corrupt coach running a corrupt program. The only shock here is that it took 7 years for people to realize that Clarett was telling the truth.

Edited by Average Reds, 30 May 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#26 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

At the end of the day, this isn't a good person who made a terrible mistake. He is exactly who Maurice Clarett said he was back in 2004 - he's a corrupt coach running a corrupt program. The only shock here is that it took 7 years for people to realize that Clarett was telling the truth.

I just disagree, not trying to be adversarial here, but just my opinion of the man and I am clearly biased. He is a stone cold killer and knows how to play the game, don't be confused by the Mr. Rodgers stuff, but he does a lot more good than bad.

Barry Switzer he is not. Does he know there are some shenanigans going on and try to handle them internally? Yeah, and whether he uses that approach because it to their advantage or because that is the older school style of doing so, I don't know. But yeah it happens, probably more so in Columbus because this is a big city and they are the stars here, and if you leave blood in the water you'll have to deal with the sharks.

The half Father Flanagan stuff i said earlier is true though and it gets him in some trouble. Regardless, he'll pay the price as he should, but people taking joy with it or being so bombastic doesn't sit well with me. It's sports, it happens, there are far worse things that could affect my life. I'll probably always have a favorable opinion of the guy and the stuff I got from his class at OSU i'll continue to use in my life.

Edit: SI stuff is supposedly 9 players sold stuff for tattoos. 4 players sold stuff for drugs.

Edited by Sea Bass Neely, 30 May 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#27 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5,349 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

I don't know why you would be upset or surprised that people are "taking joy" from his crash and burn. As you note, it's not the end of the world; he's not going to jail, and nobody died. But he's the Ohio State coach, he's won a lot of games, and he got busted for breaking the rules. It's like being upset that Republicans derived joy from Clinton getting busted with Lewinsky.

#28 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

I don't know why you would be upset or surprised that people are "taking joy" from his crash and burn. As you note, it's not the end of the world; he's not going to jail, and nobody died. But he's the Ohio State coach, he's won a lot of games, and he got busted for breaking the rules. It's like being upset that Republicans derived joy from Clinton getting busted with Lewinsky.

Definitely not surprised. And I probably do it myself with rivals, but I try to catch myself when dealing with colllege sports. But there is an insane amount of good too off the field and it never gets mentioned even in passing.

#29 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,174 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

So any chance the Big Ten institute it's own punishment outside of the NCAA? As a conference they are pretty up there in trying to maintain credibility.

I'd be shocked if Pryor ever steps foot on a college football field again, and would probably be surprised I'd OSU receives anything less than a 3 year postseason bam and 10 or more list scholarships for several years.

As a Texas alumnus, this makes me giddy. As a Prnn State fan by proxy, thus makes me giddy. As a college football fan, this makes me depressed.

#30 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Rumors percolating of a separate Pryor investigation now... speculation that he is done as a college football player.

Core meltdown in effect.

#31 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Rumors percolating of a separate Pryor investigation now... speculation that he is done as a college football player.

Core meltdown in effect.

That's what the fucker gets for shunning JoePa.

#32 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

That's what the fucker gets for shunning JoePa.

Pryor said State College was too small for his tastes. He liked the bright lights of Columbus, O.

He would have made a nice linebacker at Penn State.

#33 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

There has to be more coming. That SI article isn't nearly bad enough.

#34 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,174 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Here's the SI story: http://sportsillustr...ssel/index.html

Nothing new really at all, except the tattoo parlor stuff went beyond what's been reported. Nothing out of this that'd make Tressel resign out-of-nowhere though, IMO.

#35 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,399 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

The SI article really did not add much, other than affirmation the guy is a chronic cheater and liar.

#36 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,409 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

SI investigation reveals eight-year pattern of violations under Tressel

Story Highlights
* Since 2002 at least 28 OSU players are alleged to have traded or sold memorabilia
* Ex-Buckeye tells SI he and 'at least 20 others' swapped memorabilia for tattoos
* Source tells SI that four players traded memorabilia for marijuana

SeaBass, I hear what you're saying vis a vis the above infractions. It all sounds pretty innocuous. But the big issue has been Tressel's conduct during all of this -- first denying then stonewalling and avoiding the issues. I hate the NCAA and all its bullshit, exploitive rules with a passion, but that doesn't absolve coaches and administrators of their responsibilities to uphold and enforce them. Tressel has been a fucking moron in this regard, and the pattern has repeated itself for nearly a decade.

Edited by mabrowndog, 30 May 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#37 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,423 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hopefully the NCAA gives Ohio State the gauntlet. They deserve a major reduction in scholarships along with potentially a bowl ban.

#38 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

This looks a hell of a lot more like Wisconsin's ShoeGate than SMU. There has to be more.

Half of that stuff was well known before. Half of those players have been suspended or didn't finish their career at OSU and some of the names have to be confused. And a lot of this stuff is tough to prove, if even possible.

There was rule breaking and a punishment should be had, but this doesn't make any sense at the moment.

Edit: Biggest thing in that article is that for every good Glenville story there are 4 that end poorly.

Edited by Sea Bass Neely, 30 May 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#39 berstch

• 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

This looks a hell of a lot more like Wisconsin's ShoeGate than SMU. There has to be more.

Half of that stuff was well known before. Half of those players have been suspended or didn't finish their career at OSU and some of the names have to be confused. And a lot of this stuff is tough to prove, if even possible.

There was rule breaking and a punishment should be had, but this doesn't make any sense at the moment.

Edit: Biggest thing in that article is that for every good Glenville story there are 4 that end poorly.

The missing link from the SI story that could lead to the huge sanctions is confirmation that Tressel and his staff were arranging for players to get paid, as Clarett told ESPN.

#40 Butch Hobsons elbo chips

• 3,701 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Sounds familiar. Too bad the NCAA never took care of that other Coach who was doing many of the same things at Youngstown State during the 1990's in arranging 3rd party payments to 1-AA star players. They might have set an example for the state of OHIO about dishonest College coaches who make a mockery of the rules.

What was the name of that Youngstown cheating coach again? :unsure:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1920867

Edited by Butch Hobsons elbo chips, 30 May 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#41 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,435 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Count me in with the crowd who's thinking there's got to more to it than what was mentioned in the SI story. It's not a court a law that's making the judgments about Tressel, but there's a lot of reasonable doubt in these allegations. That said, beyond a reasonable doubt is not the burden of evidence necessary to punish Tressel here, and the ongoing and consistent "ignorance" on his part is dubious.

#42 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,174 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

A banker friend of mine who lives in Columbus and has historic family toes to OSU said a good friend of the family told her Urban Meyer has contacted a Realtor in C-bus.

Not saying this is true, but I do trust my friend, and doubt she'd pass along info she didn't deem credible.

#43 Sea Bass Neely

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

A banker friend of mine who lives in Columbus and has historic family toes to OSU said a good friend of the family told her Urban Meyer has contacted a Realtor in C-bus.

Not saying this is true, but I do trust my friend, and doubt she'd pass along info she didn't deem credible.

That's been the rumor here since April. That he bought a house in Upper Arlington. It has been shot down by various sources, but has grown to urban legend in these parts.

FWIW, I do think he would take the job if open next year. But it's going to be very difficult for that to happen.

#44 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,558 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Sounds familiar. Too bad the NCAA never took care of that other Coach who was doing many of the same things at Youngstown State during the 1990's in arranging 3rd party payments to 1-AA star players. They might have set an example for the state of OHIO about dishonest College coaches who make a mockery of the rules.

What was the name of that Youngstown cheating coach again? :unsure:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1920867

I think this has to play into the penalty as well. While USC players were taking money for years they only have evidence to my knowledge on the Reggie Bush class and forward, this has been habitual. However if Claretts class is found to have done any wrong doing I wouldn't be shocked to see that national title taken away. The one part that is disturbing is the raffles, from my understanding from the article it seemed like he used them to entice kids to head to OSU. This is a major violation, I think the tattoos are only the surface of what really went on over there. I would be shocked if Pryor played another down for OSU, I think he's probably either going to sit out a year or head to the CFL?

#45 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,021 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

I think this has to play into the penalty as well. While USC players were taking money for years they only have evidence to my knowledge on the Reggie Bush class and forward, this has been habitual. However if Claretts class is found to have done any wrong doing I wouldn't be shocked to see that national title taken away. The one part that is disturbing is the raffles, from my understanding from the article it seemed like he used them to entice kids to head to OSU. This is a major violation, I think the tattoos are only the surface of what really went on over there. I would be shocked if Pryor played another down for OSU, I think he's probably either going to sit out a year or head to the CFL?

They mentioned on M & M this morning that the supplemental draft will still happen and he would be eligible for that.

#46 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

In the '90s, Gene Stallings lost his job at Alabama because one of his players (Antonio Langham) hired an agent, regretted it immediately, and rather than reporting him (as NCAA rules require), Stallings helped cover it up. Stallings was fired -- and rightly so -- but I can't muster any moral indignation about it. Bama would have come through the scandal just fine, except they hired a dolt (DuBose) to succeed Stallings, and DuBose drove the program into the ground.

tOSU erred by not jettisoning Tressel in March -- rightly or not, when a coach fails to report NCAA violations, he must be fired. They are now, belatedly, spinning into damage-control mode. Waiting until after next season to hire a new coach is a good idea. They'll lose out on a recruiting class, but it's worth it not to hire a dud -- which is what they'd get with the current uncertainty surrounding the program.

I don't love tOSU, but I don't understand the moral outrage over what happened there. The analogy to steroids in baseball is a good one -- some college football programs may be clean, but cheating is so pervasive that no one should be considered above suspicion. (I especially enjoy the arrogant assumption that Joe Paterno still knows every little thing that goes on around the Penn State program -- seriously, have you seen the man in the past decade?? PSU might be clean, but they're no more likely to be so than anyone else.)

I don't follow these things closely enough to predict what sanctions the NCAA will hand down. It will be interesting to see if tOSU pays a price for not turning on Tressel two months ago.

Edited by maufman, 31 May 2011 - 07:52 AM.

#47 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,021 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Barry Switzer ran a zoo in Norman in the '80s.....(Jamiele Holieway car scandal, cocaine, Uzi's off the balcony) and is somehow still revered as a great college coach. I know his gift Super Bowl win helped, but he somehow escaped long term scrutiny when he ran a far dirtier program than OSU (he was more or less the UNLV/Tarkanian of college football).

#48 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,697 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

In the '90s, Gene Stallings lost his job at Alabama because one of his players (Antonio Langham) hired an agent, regretted it immediately, and rather than reporting him (as NCAA rules require), Stallings helped cover it up. Stallings was fired -- and rightly so -- but I can't muster any moral indignation about it. Bama would have come through the scandal just fine, except they hired a dolt (DuBose) to succeed Stallings, and DuBose drove the program into the ground.

tOSU erred by not jettisoning Tressel in March -- rightly or not, when a coach fails to report NCAA violations, he must be fired. They are now, belatedly, spinning into damage-control mode. Waiting until after next season to hire a new coach is a good idea. They'll lose out on a recruiting class, but it's worth it not to hire a dud -- which is what they'd get with the current uncertainty surrounding the program.

I don't love tOSU, but I don't understand the moral outrage over what happened there. The analogy to steroids in baseball is a good one -- some college football programs may be clean, but cheating is so pervasive that no one should be considered above suspicion. (I especially enjoy the arrogant assumption that Joe Paterno still knows every little thing that goes on around the Penn State program -- seriously, have you seen the man in the past decade?? PSU might be clean, but they're no more likely to be so than anyone else.)

I don't follow these things closely enough to predict what sanctions the NCAA will hand down. It will be interesting to see if tOSU pays a price for not turning on Tressel two months ago.

I swore that I heard this morning that he got canned yesterday when he returned from vacation. Regardless how anyone feels about Tressel or his turning a blind eye to payoffs, that sucks! And I don't mean that the AD did anything wrong by dumping him now, just that it would suck to come back from a nice family vacation and get fired.

#49 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Barry Switzer ran a zoo in Norman in the '80s.....(Jamiele Holieway car scandal, cocaine, Uzi's off the balcony) and is somehow still revered as a great college coach. I know his gift Super Bowl win helped, but he somehow escaped long term scrutiny when he ran a far dirtier program than OSU (he was more or less the UNLV/Tarkanian of college football).

I don't think Switzer is revered. Paterno once said he couldn't retire and leave the "Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers running the sport." The names have changed but devious coaches will always be around. Lane Kiffin, where are you?

#50 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,558 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

I don't think Switzer is revered. Paterno once said he couldn't retire and leave the "Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers running the sport." The names have changed but devious coaches will always be around. Lane Kiffin, where are you?

Switzer lucked out, they weren't going to pop SMU and his program around the same time period. We still don't know all of the details on OSU, more seems to be coming out as time goes on. That's the scary thing, at least we knew what USC did (for the most part)...this seems worse, especially with the raffle story breaking last night.