Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

I never thought I'd be rooting for a team from Texas...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 amlothi

• 386 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

What do people predict for this series?

I still don't trust the Mavs. I don't trust they will continue to shoot as they have been, I don't trust their defense, and I don't trust them to not collapse at the wrong time. I hope they prove me wrong. I've always hated the comparisons of Dirk to Larry Legend, but for once I hope he can channel some Larry and carry his team to 4 more W's.

Beat the Heat.

#2 LesterFan

• 3,662 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Should be an interesting series. Mavericks will be facing the best defense of their playoffs, and Miami is facing arguably the deepest team they've played. Should be fun watching Bosh trying to stop Dirk.

Edited by LesterFan, 26 May 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#3 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3,633 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

I haven't watched as much of these two teams lately as I'd like, in a way (except that watching Miami makes my sould itch), but I think the key would be ball control.

I mean, how profound, I know.

Miami's defense is really good, but if Dallas can avoid stupid turnovers, and can win the offensive rebounds battle, they can make a run at it. They can avoid the transition game by Miami somewhat, and just try to beat up Bosh and progress through Miami's big men, foule-wise. (I'm not saying this is easily done, I'm just saying I think it's possible).

And as always: if The Untouchable Three are going to go to the line anyway, make it count on the drives to the basket. Give em some bruises.

#4 dhellers

• 530 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

Miami won several games by shutting down teams in the final several minutes.

Dallas won several games by executing in the final several minutes.

It should be interesting which tendency prevails (here's hoping that Dallas can prevail).

#5 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7,451 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Win it for the handful of Mavs fans on this site. To the best of my knowledge that consists of me, Bosoxen, his brother and boogerpressley. I don't know if AusTexSoxFan also resembles that remark.

Win it for Mavs fans who rooted for them during the '90s even though they had the NBA's worst record for that decade. The year Jimmy Jackson held out, the Mavs challenged the '72-'73 76ers' all-time worst record of 9-73 for a season but went 11-71. Ironically their first road win that year was against the 76ers (IIRC, the game was in February) when Jeff Hornacek missed a FT that could have tied the game with seconds left. They celebrated that game like they won a game 7 late in the playoffs.

The next year they drafted Jamal Mashburn and had Mavs fans wondering whether he'd do the same thing Jackson did. Mashburn said when he got drafted that he was glad the Mavs drafted him. The interviewer asked him why and he said because he'd get a lot of playing time. They challenged the all-time worst season record yet again that year, but went 13-69.

Win it for Mark Cuban, who has been smart enough to stay silent during this playoff run. I'd bet Stern is listening loudly and clearly to this silence.

Win it for the '06 Mavs, who had to watch Dwyane Wade go to the foul line on plays like this and set a record for most FT attempts in a playoff series even though the series didn't go 7 games.

Win it for all the current Mavs who have made their share of playoff runs, in some cases with other teams, but never won a championship.

And for people here and the rest of the country, win it so LeBron doesn't get rewarded after handling The Decision the way he did.

Edited by sfip, 29 May 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#6 triniSox

• 1,125 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Win it for the handful of Mavs fans on this site. To the best of my knowledge that consists of me, Bosoxen, his brother and boogerpressley. I don't know if AusTexSoxFan also resembles that remark.

Win it for Mavs fans who rooted for them during the '90s even though they had the NBA's worst record for that decade. The year Jimmy Jackson held out, the Mavs challenged the '72-'73 76ers' all-time worst record of 9-73 for a season but went 11-71. Ironically their first road win that year was against the 76ers (IIRC, the game was in February) when Jeff Hornacek missed a FT that could have tied the game with seconds left. They celebrated that game like they won a game 7 late in the playoffs.

The next year they drafted Jamal Mashburn and had Mavs fans wondering whether he'd do the same thing Jackson did. Mashburn said when he got drafted that he was glad the Mavs drafted him. The interviewer asked him why and he said because he'd get a lot of playing time. They challenged the all-time worst season record yet again that year, but went 13-69.

Win it for Mark Cuban, who has been smart enough to stay silent during this playoff run. I'd bet Stern is listening loudly and clearly to this silence.

Win it for the '06 Mavs, who had to watch Dwyane Wade go to the foul line on plays like this and set a record for most FT attempts in a playoff series even though the series didn't go 7 games.

Win it for all the current Mavs who have made their share of playoff runs, in some cases with other teams, but never won a championship.

And for people here and the rest of the country, win it so LeBron doesn't get rewarded after handling The Decision the way he did.

I'm a MFFL - well at least since I got big time into basketball in 2001 (before I just marveled at Jordan and the Bulls as a kid). I don't have memories through the 90s like you guys but I've been through it all with them in the 2000s. After the GS series, I joined a FB group called The Dallas Mavericks Broke My Heart But I Still Love Them!

Win it for the fans.

But for me, most of all win it for Dirk.

#7 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,697 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Win it for...Toni Braxton.

#8 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Win it for all of us who hate the Heat. So...win it for everyone.

#9 stp130

• 644 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

It's 9:02. Have they called a foul on Dallas yet?

#10 Darnell's Son

• 4,561 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

So, are we not doing a game thread for the finals? Should one be started? Or is no one watching?

#11 CTSOX

• 78 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Mavs lineup music is "F**k You" by Cee lo Green?

#12 triniSox

• 1,125 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

The always classy Miami Heat,

#13 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,283 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

This Mavericks team has absolutely no chance of beating Miami 4 times. Too much jumpshooting against a tenacious defense.

#14 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7,451 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

How's this for a response?

Posted Image

#15 triniSox

• 1,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

What a great win. Winning this one was special. After years of close but no cigar and unwarranted criticism for Dirk and Cuban, this was a great opportunity to make everything right and they seized it. Everyone in the rotation was big at some point in the playoffs and Dirk was tremendous. Carlisle really showed he's the 2nd best coach in the league (behind Pop).

#16 amlothi

• 386 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:33 AM

Posted Image

I'm not sure what this guy is talking about, but I'm pretty sure "We" didn't .

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 amlothi

• 386 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

Posted Image

#18 amlothi

• 386 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,613 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

This is probably my favorite non- Boston sports victory in a looooooong time. I mean Arizona beating the Yanks was awesome but the difference is I've always liked the Mavs

#20 LoweTek

• 776 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

LBJ looked so passive late in games it was like he was throwing the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out he was hurt somehow. Give Dallas credit. They made the shots. They controlled the pace and rebounded. They owned the last two fourth quarters. Miami had the deer in headlights look and did not look like a championship caliber team, while Dallas did. Congrats to the Mavs and their fans. As Nip said, very reminiscent of the D-Back's win.

I'll add I thought the network coverage was very Miami biased. LBJ this, Wade/Bosh that. How many times did they show the pre-season intro video where the three of them were in uniform dancing and hand-slapping fans? They seemed disappointed Dallas won. If Miami had an MVP, it was Haslem. That guy was everywhere. The big three were Q4 no-shows, not exactly what champions are made of.

#21 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,022 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

A fun memory:

#22 tbrown_01923

• 179 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

This is probably my favorite non- Boston sports victory in a looooooong time. I mean Arizona beating the Yanks was awesome but the difference is I've always liked the Mavs

My thoughts completely. I remember pulling for the dodgers hard in '88 - but I can't stand the heat, what they represent, and how they play. Plus Dallas is such a fun team to pull for - a handfull of very good players and Dirk.

#23 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,365 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

A fun memory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT-I8jQDQ7c

Hahahaha

I never watched any of that back then. What an ass.

#24 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,162 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

For non- Boston sports victories, Green Bay beating Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl for me was great also because of Aaron Rodgers' Cal background. This one might be better though because my hate for Pittsburgh was nowhere near that for LeWhatever and the rest of that "team".

#25 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,181 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

LBJ looked so passive late in games it was like he was throwing the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out he was hurt somehow. Give Dallas credit. They made the shots. They controlled the pace and rebounded. They owned the last two fourth quarters. Miami had the deer in headlights look and did not look like a championship caliber team, while Dallas did. Congrats to the Mavs and their fans. As Nip said, very reminiscent of the D-Back's win.

I'll add I thought the network coverage was very Miami biased. LBJ this, Wade/Bosh that. How many times did they show the pre-season intro video where the three of them were in uniform dancing and hand-slapping fans? They seemed disappointed Dallas won. If Miami had an MVP, it was Haslem. That guy was everywhere. The big three were Q4 no-shows, not exactly what champions are made of.

ESPN will never let go of the golden calf. JA Adande wrote an inspired article today about how no one should hate the Heat and hating the Heat is like hating the purity of the game that the Heat display. Like flopping around like a bag freshly caught fish.

The writers are getting increasingly frustrated that they can't tell people what to think. And lets face it, the Heat are such an easy story. "Oh shit deadline, hmm let me knock off three best friends article."

If you can't figure out why people hate the Heat, you don't deserve a sports column. You are too out of touch.

#26 loshjott

• 3,790 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Better than Peyton Manning throwing a 4th quarter pick six against the Saints? This was close, but that was an all-timer.

#27 Gravistar

• 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

ESPN will never let go of the golden calf. JA Adande wrote an inspired article today about how no one should hate the Heat and hating the Heat is like hating the purity of the game that the Heat display. Like flopping around like a bag freshly caught fish.

The writers are getting increasingly frustrated that they can't tell people what to think. And lets face it, the Heat are such an easy story. "Oh shit deadline, hmm let me knock off three best friends article."

If you can't figure out why people hate the Heat, you don't deserve a sports column. You are too out of touch.

I'm more cynical - I don't think journalists (except the stupid ones and the ones who have a hometown rooting interest) care about who wins. All they care about is what will get attention for themselves and their network, even if that attention is negative. ESPN isn't a frontrunner because of the Heat. They're just frontrunners period, and they'll milk their golden calf until it runs dry...and then move on to the next one. So add that to the list of reasons why this victory was satisfying: it's not just that the Heat lost, but the forces of evil that support the Heat lost too. Hell, I even kind of like Mark Cuban and Jason Kidd now.

#28 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,296 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

Violent agreement.

Anyone who watched LeBron look down his nose when he sneered about the fans who take pleasure from his loss having to go back to their lives and problems while he went back to his life of luxury (OK the last part was more subtext than text, but it was clearly there) need look no further in the quest to find out why people hate the Heat.

Not that there aren't MANY other excellent reasons to hate the Heat.

Watching LeBron last night in the 4th quarter was beyond delicious. Who didn't know that LeBron would almost exclusively pass the ball without even thinking about shooting or creating as that game wound down? We saw it in the other games in this series and we saw it last year when he shit the bed against the Cs. And we saw it before that, too.

As to where this non-Boston loss fits, I'm too much of a Yankee Hater to elevate anything to MFY level. But last night was only one notch down.

#29 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

This series got me thinking back to five years ago. Does anyone else remember how big a star Dirk was back then? It's funny how he faded into the background since then. I mean, he's still one of the best players in the league, but he doesn't get nearly the attention other stars like Kobe, LeBron, Durant, etc. get. I guess the playoff disappointments including the first round loss to the eighth-seeded "We Believe" Warriors was part of that.

Wonder is Nash will look at that and bolt to a contender next season. I don't think anyone would blame him if he did.

#30 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,130 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

#31 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,613 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Better than Peyton Manning throwing a 4th quarter pick six against the Saints? This was close, but that was an all-timer.

I absolutely fucking hate the Colts, but I hate them because they are rivals. Had the Patriots never played them, in some made-up-world, I would probably be slightly annoyed by Manning, but I wouldn't intensely root for cancer to absolutely decimate him, but only after it took out his loved ones first.

My hate of the Heat transcends that sort of shit. They are legitimately bad people.

#32 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,114 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

Supposedly Birdman lost a $2M bet on the Heat and he's STILL there.

#33 The Social Chair

• 895 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

My hate of the Heat transcends that sort of shit. They are legitimately bad people.

Arrogant? yes.

Entitled? yes.

But they aren't bad people. Jason Kidd is a bad person.

#34 JBill

• 1,944 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

I absolutely fucking hate the Colts, but I hate them because they are rivals. Had the Patriots never played them, in some made-up-world, I would probably be slightly annoyed by Manning, but I wouldn't intensely root for cancer to absolutely decimate him, but only after it took out his loved ones first.

You'll want to read this

Everyone is piling on LeBron right now, and it's easy to see why Craggs and the like might get a little starchy when they read editorial after editorial about teamwork winning out over selfishness and character winning over talent and all those horrible magic unicorns that white sportswriters just love to toss out to the easily scandalized. But you know what? Sometimes, those fusty old columnists choose their targets CORRECTLY. Sometimes, they get it right, if only by sheer luck.

Because there's nothing wrong with rooting for LeBron James to fail. It says nothing bad about you as a person to wish ill upon someone who is monstrously talented yet at the same time is also a world-class dipshit. LeBron James has never been arrested or caught with naughty drugs or done anything explicitly "immoral," I suppose. But that doesn't matter, because he's still a piece of shit anyway. His reaction in the wake of losing last night was even more predictable than his on-court meltdown.

#35 GlenMorangie

• 779 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

For the longest time I couldn't stand him, but The Cubes is really winning me over.

Apparently the city of Dallas, due to budgetary issues, said they might have trouble paying for a Championship parade. Cuban has said he will pay for it out of his own pocket.

It is the first NBA championship title for Dallas and the city is planning a parade, with details to be announced later. Mayor Dwaine Caraway said the city is in a budget crunch but still plans a parade, though Cuban repeated Monday that he will personally pay for the celebration."We'll do it," Cuban said early Monday morning. "All I told them was -- Terdema Ussery, our president -- you plan the parade. I'll pay for it because I don't think it's right for the city to have to pay for it. And let's just have some fun."

Between moves like this, arranging for the trophy to be handed to original owner Donald Carter, and keeping his mouth shut during the finals, I've got to believe that Cuban is making more than a few new fans.

edit: link

Edited by GlenMorangie, 13 June 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#36 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,114 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Others have said it, but he's trying to clean up his image because he desperately wants to buy a baseball team.

#37 Izzy Alcantara

• 302 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Arrogant? yes.

Entitled? yes.

But they aren't bad people. Jason Kidd is a bad person.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how anyone can be "happy" that Jason Kidd won a title. Who cares about that guy.

#38 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,720 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:49 AM

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how anyone can be "happy" that Jason Kidd won a title. Who cares about that guy.

Yeah, the guy also took an Eastern Conference title from us in 2002. I don't hate him, but Nowitzki and Terry are much better stories and people I'm happy to see succeed.

#39 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,181 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

Others have said it, but he's trying to clean up his image because he desperately wants to buy a baseball team.

Cuban paying for the parade is not uncharacteristic of him.

Cuban not taking the trophy and giving Stern a big kiss is.

#40 loshjott

• 3,790 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

This is a pretty smart quote from Cuban. Link here:

“It doesn’t happen overnight. There’s no quick solutions. There’s not a single template for winning the championship. If there was, everybody would do it,” Cuban said after maintaining a self-imposed muzzle throughout the playoffs. “So you just have to hope you get a little bit lucky, hope things break your way and you go out there and do it.”

Sounds like a man who's gotten older and wiser in his years as owner.

#41 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,951 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

This is a pretty smart quote from Cuban. Link here:

Sounds like a man who's gotten older and wiser in his years as owner.

Sounds like a guy who wants to own an mlb franchise and realizes his reputation is getting in the way of that.

I like Cuban and would love to see him buy the Dodgers or the Mets. So I'm happy to see him win a title. I also like Dirk as I think he's generally underrated.

I didn't really have a horse in this race, but the outcome feels like the right one.

Edited by Snodgrass'Muff, 14 June 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#42 Worst Trade Evah

• SoSH Member

• 10,834 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

I hope it works. Cuban would be great for baseball. It's insane they pass over him for people like the McCourts.

#43 EP Sox Fan

• 1,275 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

Cuban has really matured as an owner. For a while there, his constant meddling in personnel decisions was threatening to turn him into the Jerry Jones of basketball. I think he's done a great job of trusting the basketball people running the show and sticking more to writing checks. I also liked that he kept a low profile during the playoffs. He used to enjoy being the story (see e.g. his shitty Apprentice wannabe) and as a result was distracting to the team. This time he was content to sit back and watch and let the team be the story.

I really see the 2006 Finals as a real turning point for Cuban as an owner. If that nut punch doesn't happen, I don't think Cuban ever changes. I've always liked him as an owner and am glad for long suffering Mavs fans who had to endure the shitshow that franchise was for so long and the seemingly endless disappointments caused in part by good in the same conference with the Spurs and the Lakers.

As a personal aside, I grew up a Celtics fan but ditched the NBA after their strike in 2004. I went to college in the Dallas area and adopted the Mavs after Cuban resurrected the franchise. I loved the way Nash and Nowitzki played the game and they were an exciting team to watch. I lived in San Antonio for three years after college and had to endure the constant trash talking by annoying Spurs fans while I rooted for Dallas (I almost got in a fight in a bar with some Suprs fans who were cheering a Nowitzki injury during their championship run in 2003.) When they finally broke through in 2006, I took enormous pleasure in watching San Antonio (more their annoying sanctimonious fan base.) The 2006 Finals were such a gut punch for me as a fan. Wade and his 9874567 free throw attempts undermined my faith in the NBA as a credible sport and I pretty much gave up the NBA until this postseason where I watched pretty much every Mavs game (most of which with a sense of inevitable doom caused by 2006 and their Seeing the reaction from my friends and family who are lifetime Mavs fans reminds me of 2004 and that's pretty cool.

IMO, Cuban won't be a MLB owner for the same reason we still have umpires making all the calls...slavish adherence to tradition.

#44 Kraut

• 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

Dirk-Interview with the magazine 'Der Spiegel':

Nowitzki: I don't think that I played all that exceptionally in the finals. If we hadn't played so well together as a team, it would have been disastrous. When the whistle blew to end the sixth and decisive game, blood rushed to my head. Without even thinking about what I was doing, I ran toward the locker room.

SPIEGEL: The game was still going on when you fled. There were still a couple of seconds on the clock.

Nowitzki: I only know that many of our PR people ran after me. They yelled: "Stay here. You can't do that. The trophy is going to be presented." I said: "I don't want it." I got into the shower, pressed my face into a towel and began to cry. Then I heard them yelling again. "Dirk!" I said: "They should give it to someone else." Not exactly worthy of a champion, is it?

SPIEGEL: After you calmed down, you received the trophy as a team captain should.

Nowitzki: Yes, thank God. It was close.
SPIEGEL: You have long been reserved when it comes to sponsoring gigs. Is that going to change in the future?

Nowitzki: There certainly isn't a shortage of offers. You wouldn't believe how many watch manufacturers have sent me their models. Just like that. I give them all away. I am satisfied with what I have. How crazy do you have to be when you can afford everything but still clutter up your life with all sorts of advertising appointments? No thanks.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,772189,00.html

#45 AMS25

• 941 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Dirk-Interview with the magazine 'Der Spiegel':

http://www.spiegel.d...,772189,00.html

I know Dallas made some changes in the off-season, but they sure don't play like champs right now.... I know. SSS. Only two games....