Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Ray Allen to exercise $10M player option for 2011-12?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 34371 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

From Nick Borges via ESPN Insider:

Ray Allen has a $10 million player option for next season and after the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs, the veteran shooting guard said he will be a Celtic next season.

"This has been my team," Allen told ESPNBoston.com. "I have been full steam ahead with this team. I don't have any plans to go anywhere else."

Hardly unexpected and despite the price tag he's the one I'd want back if I were forced to choose only one of the "Big 3" to return.

#2 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed in 2012-2013 for short money if he continues to perform at this year's level - assuming that there was a realistic change to get another ring. The man is amazing.

#3 Solder

• 144 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

I can also see Ray playing another 4-5 years of very solid ball if he wants to chase rings. I can't see him staying in Boston past next season after it gets blown up, but his game will last as long as he wants.

#4 The Social Chair

• 757 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

How many more seasons does everybody believe Ray would need to play for the Celtics to get his number considered for retirement?

#5 amlothi

• 317 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

How many more seasons does everybody believe Ray would need to play for the Celtics to get his number considered for retirement?

According to this list, the shortest I see so far is 6 years (Ed Macauley, and Reggie Lewis - and Reggie would have been longer if not for his untimely death).
http://en.wikipedia...._jersey_numbers

Considering Ray spent more time with both Milwaukee and Seattle than with Boston, I think it's unlikely he sticks around long enough. He's also not at his peak anymore, so his numbers and contribution to Boston teams will likely never reach his contribution to the others.

IMO, I think "Seattle" retiring his number is appropriate.

#6 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22296 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

Ray seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't show up to OKC.

#7 TripleOT

• 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Ray seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't show up to OKC.

Ironically, OKC might be an appropriate landing spot for Ray Allen in a couple of seasons if he's ring chasing. `16 MPG shooting open threes off Durant and Westbrook passes is a nice gig for a shooter in his final years.

#8 sleepyjose03

• 2318 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

As much as I would love to see Ray be a part of another Celtics title (or two, or three..), if Boston doesn't have a realistic shot at winning for a while, I'd hope that Ray was able to find a role on another contender. His ability to spread the floor, his cool under pressure, and his veteran experience would be an asset to a team looking for some role players to help it over the top. He's been a favorite of mine since his UConn days, and I'd rather see him go out that way rather than toiling away on a Boston team that just doesn't have enough to get past the new juggernauts in the East.

Provided that he winds up anywhere but Miami or the Lakers, I would welcome seeing him get a chance for a another ring. Seeing him help put Chicago, OKC, or Dallas over the top would be enjoyable IMO.

#9 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 3960 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Considering Ray spent more time with both Milwaukee and Seattle than with Boston, I think it's unlikely he sticks around long enough. He's also not at his peak anymore, so his numbers and contribution to Boston teams will likely never reach his contribution to the others.

IMO, I think "Seattle" retiring his number is appropriate.

While he played 4 1/2 seasons for Seattle (to 4 in Boston), he has actually already played more regular season games for Boston (312/296).

Edited by EddieYost, 13 May 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#10 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3943 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

While he played 4 1/2 seasons for Seattle (to 4 in Boston), he has actually already played more regular season games for Boston (312/296).

Yes but what team's cap will he wearing on his HOF plaque? :c070:

#11 worm0082

• Penbis

• 2837 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:07 AM

Well, 34 is going up. I bet if we win another title both 20 and 5 go up. 9 is on its way so far. And regardless of what happens, if he finishes out his contract Doc Rivers would have been here at least 12 seasons, second only to Red in every category. I bet we see something similar to Luscutoff with "DOC" being retired or something. Also wouldnt surprize me to see Ainge's 44 go up at some point.

Edited by worm0082, 15 May 2011 - 04:13 AM.

#12 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11472 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well, 34 is going up. I bet if we win another title both 20 and 5 go up. 9 is on its way so far. And regardless of what happens, if he finishes out his contract Doc Rivers would have been here at least 12 seasons, second only to Red in every category. I bet we see something similar to Luscutoff with "DOC" being retired or something. Also wouldnt surprize me to see Ainge's 44 go up at some point.

The C's haven't applied the most rigorous standards to retired numbers over the years. I don't think they're going to start now.

Pierce, of course, is a no-brainer.

Unless he goes to the Lakers or something, KG's #5 will be retired too. KG is probably one of the 25 best players ever to play the game, and he was the best player on a championship team here. That's enough to get your number retired in most cities.

Ray is a close call. I think it would be unprecedented for a Hall of Famer to win a ring and make an All-Star appearance during his time here, but not have his number retired. (I threw in the All-Star requirement to distinguish Ray from Bill Walton.) Dennis Johnson is a good parallel -- DJ won two rings here, but Ray was a better player, both overall and during their respective stints in Boston. And while most clubs wouldn't have retired DJ's #3, he's definitely not the least deserving player the C's have honored.

Edited by maufman, 15 May 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#13 amlothi

• 317 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

Ray is a close call. I think it would be unprecedented for a Hall of Famer to win a ring and make an All-Star appearance during his time here, but not have his number retired.

I agree it's a close call, but I think you need to factor in service time with the team in addition to those requirements. If Ray didn't come back last offseason, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Similarly, if the C's won it this year, nobody would be clamoring for Shaq's number to be retired in Boston.

The Celtics have retired a lot of numbers. I'm not sure how "lax" they can continue to be with deciding which ones to retire. I'm not saying Ray isn't more deserving than some of the numbers already up there (I'd probably say he is more deserving than some). The question is whether those standards will change over time as more and more numbers are honored.

#14 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8461 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

And, if you factor in playoff games (73 of Ray 110 playoff games were with Boston), it is even more balanced. Counting playoffs, Ray has played 32% of his NBA games as a Celtic, compared to 43% of his NBA games as a Buck. He would have to play 2 more healthy years in Boston to pass Milwaukee, which probably wn't happen, so he's a borderline but not impossible case.

#15 Mueller's Twin Grannies

• 222 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

He won his only title in a Boston uniform and was a part of the "Big Three" angle when KG was acquired and helped turn the team from virtual laughingstock to champions in a single season. I would think that alone probably puts him in the Hall as a Celtic. Isn't that how most Hall of Fames determine which cap a player wears, by the years during/team with they had the most success? I know time spent matters too but, as has already been pointed out, he's played more games with Boston than Seattle, and if he re-ups and plays out the season, will exceed the years total too. My guess is he goes in with a C's cap on.

#16 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21622 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Yes

Ray Allen yesterday exercised the player option on the two-year, $20 million contract he signed last summer, returning to the Celtics for a fifth season.

#17 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12237 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Three or more All-Star appearences with the Cs, at least one championship, absurd three point shooting plus Connecticut ties plus lax retirement standards = there is no way Ray's number doesn't go up.

#18 dbn

• 2600 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Good, albeit unsurprising, news. He showed that he had a lot left in the tank this past season. Now the roster is the starting-5 from 2010/11's season end, and Avery Bradley!

#19 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3943 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

Good, albeit unsurprising, news. He showed that he had a lot left in the tank this past season. Now the roster is the starting-5 from 2010/11's season end, and Avery Bradley!

and the inevitable stiff white dude or athletic tweener they select in the late 1st round of the draft.

#20 LesterFan

• 3149 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Time flies, huh? Already entering his 5th season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users