Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

5/11 - Win Or Go Home

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1254 replies to this topic

#1251 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 6648 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Someone explain to me what Stern's infatuation with Miami is - it's not like the organization has any tradition outside of another title he and the officials handed them in 2006. Their fan base blows (the damn arena had all kinds of seats open tonight), the market is not big, and the arena is in a dumpy location. It's not like the Panthers are the golden children of the NHL or the Dolphins of the NFL, but the Heat get in the playoffs and it's like pre-ordained unless they are just simply overmatched like last year.

The Heat are the new Lakers, the new "showtime" the new super-team to be marketed, to propel the NBA's ratings globally.
And while I do not subscribe to the conspiracy theories that abound about the NBA, and the C's got whipped by a better younger and healthier team, I'm reasonably certain Stern was happy to see a pasing of the eastern torch from the Cs to the Heat. He's got a bigger problem in the west, where the Lakers have generally been a protected species for years. Stern can't be too thrilled with the coming OKC-Dallas Dustbowl match-up.

#1252 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5643 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

The Heat are the new Lakers, the new "showtime" the new super-team to be marketed, to propel the NBA's ratings globally.
And while I do not subscribe to the conspiracy theories that abound about the NBA, and the C's got whipped by a better younger and healthier team, I'm reasonably certain Stern was happy to see a pasing of the eastern torch from the Cs to the Heat. He's got a bigger problem in the west, where the Lakers have generally been a protected species for years. Stern can't be too thrilled with the coming OKC-Dallas Dustbowl match-up.

OKC has marketability with Durant and Westbrook. And the Perkins trade was high profile. Dallas is getting career performances from a bunch of players. Probably won't happen again.

#1253 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6256 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

We'd be looking forward to Game 6, possibly with a 3-2 series lead if these guys hadn't pissed away games down the stretch to the likes of the Clippers, Wizards and Bobcats. :angry:

That's the real shame of the matter.

#1254 NatetheGreat

• 511 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...t-a-passing-fad

Both Henry Abbott and John Hollinger have written about Westbrook’s shoot-first mentality, but there's an interesting statistical story brewing that they didn’t capture. Oklahoma City led the NBA in total points scored per assist, with 5.23 points per assist. (It was 8.31 in Game 4.) This measure isn’t talked about much, but it is a reflection of teams that get their points off the dribble and at the foul line, not off a lot of kick-outs to shooters or dishes to big men around the basket.

The Thunder’s high value reflects a more individual and athletic game, something that is fair to say about how the Thunder play over good amounts of time. Not surprisingly, the star-driven system of the Miami Heat came in second in this metric during the regular season. Both teams use their athleticism off the dribble to drive to the middle and get foul calls.

Can you guess who is at the bottom of the list? The Celtics and Dallas Mavericks, two of the oldest teams in the league.

Is there a superstar/home team effect? Sure, there always is, and certainly not just in the NBA (home bias in international ball, and even in a lot of college games, can be absolutely ridiculous). In any series you'll be able to point to bad calls. But Boston, as a team, are NOT good at getting to the line, whereas getting the line is the thing Miami does better than virtually anyone else. Simply saying, "but in this series we attacked a lot TOO" doesn't counteract that--if a team has relied on ball movement and hitting shots all year, they are not suddenly going to become good at the "give it one superathletic dude, have him beat his defender off the dribble and then jump into the help while throwing up a shot and selling the foul" style of play.

Its not a conspiracy. It has nothing to do with Miami specifically, or even LBJ and Wade specifically. If Miami were the storied veterans who play good team ball and try to manufacture good looks, and Boston was the team with a lot of hyperathletic wings who do nothing but run isos and pick and rolls and fling themselves into the defense while looking like they got shot, Boston would have the free throw disparity in their favor instead.

#1255 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 3882 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Oh, great... now the thread I started will be at the top for an extra season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users