Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Peter Abraham: Makes zero effort

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
392 replies to this topic

#1 Curll

• 4,471 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Posted ImagePeteAbe Pete Abraham New blog post: Daniel Bard: The Stopper - Daniel Bard has a key, if undefined role, role in the Red Sox bullpen. http://ow.ly/1chF4w

He's apparently never read any baseball blogs or Bill James books. Here's a HBT article that just makes Abraham's crap look that much worse: www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-closer-and-the-damage-done/

Rarely do I see so, so little effort.

Edited by Curll, 20 April 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#2 NW Sox Fan

• 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Posted ImagePeteAbe Pete Abraham New blog post: Daniel Bard: The Stopper - Daniel Bard has a key, if undefined role, role in the Red Sox bullpen. http://ow.ly/1chF4w

He's apparently never read any baseball blogs or Bill James books. Here's a HBT article that just makes Abraham's crap look that much worse: http://www.hardballt...he-damage-done/

Why the snark? I enjoy Pete's work and see nothing wrong with his tweet or article. By the way, the link to HBT doesn't work for me. More effort needed from you? From me?

#3 kelpapa

• 792 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

He's apparently never read any baseball blogs or Bill James books. Here's a HBT article that just makes Abraham's crap look that much worse: http://www.hardballt...he-damage-done/

This link isn't working for me, so I don't understand what you're getting at.

#4 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,114 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

You realize that his target audience isn't SABR familiar Soshers, right? It's refreshing to see a mainstream article like that essentially call closers and saves bullshit.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 20 April 2011 - 10:54 PM.

#5 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9,609 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm not a fan of Pete. The problem is that he is the most boring person in the world.. And when he gets facts wrong he removes the offending blog post and pretends he didn't say it.

He's the corsibot of the Boston Globe.

#6 Curll

• 4,471 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Fixed the HBT link. Bard's role is Relief Ace. It isn't a new term or new idea.

#7 curly2

• 2,707 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

Like Foukley alluded to, it's probably a new idea for a lot of readers in the Globe audience.

I like Abraham. He isn't Posnanski as a writer, but it seems like he enjoys what he's doing and busts his ass at it. On days he's off, the blog really suffers, as Cafardo, Vega and Co. seem to put much less into it.

Edited by curly2, 20 April 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#8 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,134 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

I don't mean to pile on but I think Pete does a great job covering the Sox. Shit, like Curly points out above, if you compare him to the other Boston beat alternatives, it's hard not to appreciate his work. And fwiw, if you follow his tweets, every once in a while he brings up Buchholz' lucky BABIP last season and it sets off the Pink Hats. That alone makes him enjoyable.

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 20 April 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#9 keyalyn

• 549 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Neither is the notion that saves and wins are completely useless, but you still see more people who value them as vital stats than people who recognize them as pointless numbers.

#10 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,454 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

He blocked me from following him on twitter (why, I do not know) so nuts to him.

#11 kelpapa

• 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

How many sports journalists blocked you?

Edited by kelpapa, 21 April 2011 - 12:39 AM.

#12 Gambler7

• 3,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

When I think of Peter Abraham the last thing I think of is zero effort. The guy constantly blogs, tweets, etc and does love his job. He can be a little snarky at times, but I like that even thought I don't always agree with it.

#13 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,598 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

When I think of Peter Abraham the last thing I think of is zero effort. The guy constantly blogs, tweets, etc and does love his job. He can be a little snarky at times, but I like that even thought I don't always agree with it.

Exactly. He works his ass off.

#14 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,854 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

I'm not a fan of Pete. The problem is that he is the most boring person in the world.. And when he gets facts wrong he removes the offending blog post and pretends he didn't say it.

He's the corsibot of the Boston Globe.

You're thinking of Drocca.

#15 ctsoxfan5

• 759 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Huh? Abraham is one of the few mainstream writers who even mentions things like BABIP, sample size, etc.

Just one example: Abraham on Buchholz's 2010 BABIP

#16 Danny_Darwin

• 459 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

I like Pete. The biggest knock against him is that he occasionally falls into vendetta-ism on the blog and his Twitter. He's hardly the first beat writer to do so, though.

#17 Toe Nash

• 3,086 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I like Pete. The biggest knock against him is that he occasionally falls into vendetta-ism on the blog and his Twitter. He's hardly the first beat writer to do so, though.

It's a little more than occasionally. He takes shots at Ellsbury, A-Rod and Dice-K all the time. Beyond that he does a solid job, but it's very unprofessional, though you're right that he's far from the first beat writer to do such things.

#18 LMontro

• 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

It's a little more than occasionally. He takes shots at Ellsbury, A-Rod and Dice-K all the time. Beyond that he does a solid job, but it's very unprofessional, though you're right that he's far from the first beat writer to do such things.

I think Twitter has really exposed (or magnified) some of the negatives of the media folks. I have unfollowed most of them just because I cant stand the blatant jock-sniffing that goes on. everyone is a "good guy" which means they talked to said reporter and acted like a human being. Breer and Heyman used to be the worst offenders. Re-tweeting anything an athlete posts regardless of how unfunny/unimportant it is. "OMG, we are both on Twitter!!Can u believe it? Lets be best friends!!!!" I also have a problem with anyone such as Pete "calling out" or taking shots at players they cover without saying it to their face 5 minutes ago when they were in the same clubhouse. Quick access to info has come at a (very annoying) price. Reading their online snark via Twitter is going to color how I read their "news" and I don't think that's a good thing. There are exceptions but I just find the negatives to outweigh the positives.

#19 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

At least he faces those guys though. Night and day from a guy like CHB who takes the same shots and never sets foot in a club house.

#20 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,490 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

He came off really annoying and whiny about Oakland yesterday on Twitter.

I mean, hey, it's not the best city and it's not the best stadium. But fuck man, it's not Oakland's fault you love to sit in your hotel room and bitch about stuff in the most bitchy, spineless way possible. Does anybody have a shred of doubt he's not the type of guy to man up and be an asshole when he doesn't get his way?

There are plenty of nice things about Oakland...go out and fucking find them.

#21 Toe Nash

• 3,086 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

He came off really annoying and whiny about Oakland yesterday on Twitter.

I mean, hey, it's not the best city and it's not the best stadium. But fuck man, it's not Oakland's fault you love to sit in your hotel room and bitch about stuff in the most bitchy, spineless way possible. Does anybody have a shred of doubt he's not the type of guy to man up and be an asshole when he doesn't get his way?

There are plenty of nice things about Oakland...go out and fucking find them.

This is the same guy who has tweeted that he loves doing games in Cleveland because the hotel is close to the stadium and there's a good place to get a haircut nearby. Make of that what you will.

#22 JuanPena's Wrist

• 80 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

I like Peter Abraham and I think he works hard to find interesting things to write about which is not always an easy task on a daily basis. Try reading some of the beat writers in columnists in N.Y. like George King or Bill Madden.
As far as him disliking or complaining about Oakland or liking Cleveland I think you need to remember that this is his job and everyone bitches at least a little about their job.

#23 PeteAbe

• 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

I happened across this thread and I just wanted to say this is the first time anybody has ever called me out for not liking Oakland. That gave me a good chuckle. Yes, I'll readily cop to not liking Oakland. Sorry of you live there. I'm from New Bedford and I know plenty of people feel that is a dump, too. You know what? It is.

As for the rest of it, there's no way to please everybody. But I try and do the best I can and it has gotten me this far. If you have any suggestions, feel free to e-mail me.

#24 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,490 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

I happened across this thread and I just wanted to say this is the first time anybody has ever called me out for not liking Oakland. That gave me a good chuckle. Yes, I'll readily cop to not liking Oakland. Sorry of you live there. I'm from New Bedford and I know plenty of people feel that is a dump, too. You know what? It is.

As for the rest of it, there's no way to please everybody. But I try and do the best I can and it has gotten me this far. If you have any suggestions, feel free to e-mail me.

Nowhere is a dump to everyone, but I'm from San Francisco and anybody who completely writes off Oakland is being lazy. Either bring it up with whoever books your hotel rooms to put you in a more interesting part of Oakland or do some exploring. I'll give you that you were in town for about 36 hours but you've been in this business long enough that it wasn't your first time.

There are plenty of places in North Oakland, downtown and towards the hills that are interesting. You have great proximity to Berkeley and San Francisco. The area around the stadium sucks, and if you stick around there then it won't be too much fun. It's unfortunate there isn't an excellent public transit option that drops you right behind Mt. Davis that goes all over Oakland and the Bay Area.

#25 BobVealeFan

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I enjoy Peter's blog. However, am I the only one who thinks he needs to do a little more checking for typos?

#26 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2,159 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

I think Pete has been a great addition to the Boston sports writer scene and I'm glad he's here. I don't agree with everything he writes, but that's fine too.

I'd also give my left nut if he'd take the Sunday Notes column away from Lazy Nick.

#27 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,598 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

I think Pete has been a great addition to the Boston sports writer scene and I'm glad he's here. I don't agree with everything he writes, but that's fine too.

I'd also give my left nut if he'd take the Sunday Notes column away from Lazy Nick.

I'd give your left nut too.

Make it happen.

#28 backpeddling

• 158 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

It's pretty embarrassing to see a grown man get into twitter "beefs".

#29 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Here's the thing, though: Oakland fucking sucks.

#30 Titoschew

• 2,891 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

So, Sassaquin was a bad decision to relocate to? :buddy:

Edited by Titoschew, 22 April 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#31 Buffalo Head

• 4,452 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

You know what's great about Oakland? The airport, because it means you're leaving.

#32 deborafitz

• 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

I have been reading Peter Abraham's blogs since his he covered the Yankees at the LoHud. I was a little nervous he was going to be like an "embedded Yankee" when he came to the Globe, but I have enjoyed his blogs now as much as I enjoyed "spying" on the Yankees back then. I think he does a good job and don't really understand the "zero effort" comment.

#33 Zincman

• 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have known Pete since he started in New Bedford and then Connecticut with the Norwich Bulletin. I havent known many writers who put in more effort than he did and the results earned him an early rep for thouroughness and insight. HIs versatility (best UConn hoops reporter ever) is evident and the work he did for LoHud was outstanding and gained him a national audience and rep. Give him the notes column and it will be the best since Gammons. Nitpick all you want. This guy is a find for Boston sports.

#34 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14,301 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

I don't know the guy at all, but I do like his writing. He (to my eyes) works pretty hard to come up with interesting stuff, understands and uses sabermetric stats, and seems to 'get it' rather than trying to be the story.

I hope he gets the notes column and also that he sticks around.

#35 Tartan

• 339 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

New Bedford has good scallops.

#36 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

...Give him the notes column and it will be the best since Gammons....

I can go a long with this.

#37 pbredsox

• 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Emailing Pete Abe with criticism is not only going to earn you derision from him,
but your name will be blacklisted among all Boston Globe sportwriters ...
past and present.
Its not worth it.
"Never miss a chance to shut up"- Will Rogers

#38 pbredsox

• 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

He's apparently never read any baseball blogs or Bill James books. Here's a HBT article that just makes Abraham's crap look that much worse: www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-closer-and-the-damage-done/

I've discovered its an open secret that Pete Abe is living off his reputation as "the father of sports blogging".
His writing is abysmal, he frequently makes mistakes, will snap at you if you correct him, and change the incorrect post
on his blog rather than recant what he wrote ...
He reminds me of Buck Showalter: initial success is based on his bullying, but that effect is bound to wear off.
But when it comes to Globe sportswriters, his colleagues will have his back to the bitter end.
No use letting it get to you.

#39 kelpapa

• 792 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

No use letting it get to you.

Clearly, you haven't.

#40 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,039 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

He reminds me of Buck Showalter: initial success is based on his bullying, but that effect is bound to wear off.

Does that mean we win the World Series the year after he goes?

#41 Goosfraba

• 43 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

Does that mean we win the World Series the year after he goes?

The Yankees won the World Series a month after he stopped covering them.

#42 ToeKneeArmAss

• Paul Byrd's pitching coach

• 2,256 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

I know it's piling on, but my god (from today's Red Sox Notes in the Globe)Link:

"As the Sox were getting ready for batting practice, Tim Wakefield sat in the dugout chatting amicably with ESPN analyst Brett Boone. The two are tied together in baseball history, Boone having won Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS for the Yankees with an 11th-inning walkoff home run against Wakefield ... "

Pete, if you want, you could post your stuff here before you submit it and we could fact-check it for you.

#43 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,598 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

But it is Aaron who works for ESPN now, right? It was Aaron that Wake was talking to, right? So the confusion wasn't which brother hit the HR, it was mixing up the names.

That's a pretty silly error, though.

#44 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,854 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

I know it's piling on, but my god (from today's Red Sox Notes in the Globe)Link:

"As the Sox were getting ready for batting practice, Tim Wakefield sat in the dugout chatting amicably with ESPN analyst Brett Boone. The two are tied together in baseball history, Boone having won Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS for the Yankees with an 11th-inning walkoff home run against Wakefield ... "

Pete, if you want, you could post your stuff here before you submit it and we could fact-check it for you.

FWIW, before the game, I believe he tweeted that Wake was talking to Aaron.

Also, and perhaps it's just me, but when Pete fields readers' twitter comments/questions, he only posts the ones he disagrees with. The self-righteousness is annoying as hell.

#45 joe dokes

• 3,070 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

to his credit, he linked to this story about Papelbon and his wife doing a good deed:
http://www.boston.co.../?p1=News_links

(if anyone has a better place to put this & it hasn't already been, feel free. It really reflects well on the Papelbons.)

#46 Goosfraba

• 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

FWIW, before the game, I believe he tweeted that Wake was talking to Aaron.

Also, and perhaps it's just me, but when Pete fields readers' twitter comments/questions, he only posts the ones he disagrees with. The self-righteousness is annoying as hell.

It's not just you. I've never seen a blogger get off on being an ass more than Pete Abe, he truly derives enjoyment from it. Say what you will about CHB, Cafardo, Mazz, etc but at least they have better things to do than start pissing matches with readers or engage in fan bashing at every opportunity.

#47 richgedman'sghost

• 496 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

But it is Aaron who works for ESPN now, right? It was Aaron that Wake was talking to, right? So the confusion wasn't which brother hit the HR, it was mixing up the names.

That's a pretty silly error, though.

Just to futher confuse matters, Brett was the guest analyst for the Fox broadcast of the 2003 ALCS if I remember correctly. :rolling:

#48 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15,213 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

Meh. Most fans are complete morons, I don't fault Abraham from ripping the stupid ones.

#49 Zombie Osama Bin Laden

• 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

I do not like this infidel Peter Abraham.

Not anymore....

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected] < [email protected]>
Sent: Sat, April 30, 2011 2:53 pm<BR $$hash="5894">Subject: Payment for the WMDs

HA BITCH, I just told the CIA where you were. Eat my nuts and suck my dick. Next time get the money before you give me the suitcase nukes.

-- Sent from my iPhone
On May 1, 2011, at 2:45 AM, [email protected]:

You son of a bitch. You will die for this infidel if it is the last thing ... Oh fuck who just kicked in the door.

#50 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

I do not like this infidel Peter Abraham.

Not anymore....

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected] < [email protected]>
Sent: Sat, April 30, 2011 2:53 pm<BR $$hash="5894">Subject: Payment for the WMDs

HA BITCH, I just told the CIA where you were. Eat my nuts and suck my dick. Next time get the money before you give me the suitcase nukes.

-- Sent from my iPhone
On May 1, 2011, at 2:45 AM, [email protected]:

You son of a bitch. You will die for this infidel if it is the last thing ... Oh fuck who just kicked in the door.

yeah, in the long history of mock accounts, this is about as pathetic as it gets