Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011 BC Football....It's Run by a Spaz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
577 replies to this topic

#51 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Shakim Phillips and Clyde Lee gone.

Doesn't apply to Shakim I know but is there any doubt that Jags was a disaster.

#52 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

No doubt at all.

Lee was a twit who tweeted his way out of town, so good riddance. Basically was burried 3rd or 4th string at WR. Of course last year there were so many injuries they by the end of the year there were basically 2 healthy bodies in the bowl game.

Phillips hurt. In theory he was a guy who could have become a pretty special player. On the other hand he basically hasn't been healthy in 2 years, and I think he would have had a bit of a fight on his hands to get on the field this year. Hurts the future more than this year

Still leaves some talent at WR for this year, but if injuries hit like last year it could be a problem quickl;y

Colin Larmond - All reports have been he is healthy and in great shape. Easily the most talented receiver they have
Bobby Swigert - Quality slot receiver, should get better and better in Rogers system
Johnathan Coleman - Very talented and was very raw last year, can he make a big step forward
Alex Amidon - Might be the fastest player on the roster, flashed talent last year
Ifeanyi Momah - Completely focused on WR this year, and has dropped weight. Looked like he might finally be getting it late last year

That is a group of 5 that is likely above average by BC standards, but it's thin
Curt "Spiffy" Evans - freshman WR from Florida. Kid looked good in film, will he be ready to contribute?
Donte Elliot. Junior hasn't shown much at DB, maybe a conversion to WR will be his role
Hampton Hughes - Walk on who had been listed as safety now listed as WR/DB

Oh, and to top off a bad day, Rumors are Mark Herzlich is going to the Ravens. Love the kid, but could never root for anyone wearing that uniform

#53 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:41 AM

What was Lee's problem, tweeting about no support for BC sports and his own marijuana use?

#54 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7189 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:48 AM

Wait, what?

#55 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Wait, what?

BC received commitments from 48 football players with Jags as head coach. Three have graduated (Gause, Castanzo, Boek). 25 remain with the program today. 20 players have left prior to their 3rd season. Many left in UGLY fashion. This doesn't count the future All American Tackle recruit that O'Briens staff had committed and Jags threw away because he wanted nothing to do with him (kenny Plue)

4th and 5th year players are the foundation for a program like BC. They are the reason the Eagles won the first couple years with Jags (strong 4th and 5th year guys)

This happens at other programs, but they use JUCO's to replenish the losses. BC won't/can't do that

#56 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

BC received commitments from 48 football players with Jags as head coach. Three have graduated (Gause, Castanzo, Boek). 25 remain with the program today. 20 players have left prior to their 3rd season. Many left in UGLY fashion. This doesn't count the future All American Tackle recruit that O'Briens staff had committed and Jags threw away because he wanted nothing to do with him (kenny Plue)

4th and 5th year players are the foundation for a program like BC. They are the reason the Eagles won the first couple years with Jags (strong 4th and 5th year guys)

This happens at other programs, but they use JUCO's to replenish the losses. BC won't/can't do that

This ... While certainly there are some players that left because they didn't fit the system, it seems like Jags really had no clue how to recruit at BC. Yes, there are holdovers from that staff still on staff (including the head coach) but most of the problems have been on the offensive side of the ball and the word has been that Jags was the one who pushed recruiting until he got bored with it.

I also think this mess will continue to haunt BC in recruiting as other schools will use it for negative recruiting by subtly pointing out how difficult the school is academically.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 26 July 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#57 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

On the offensive side QB was the only real problem and that's partly Jags lack of recruiting a good QB as well as the spread and partly TOB not recruiting a QB.

I guess I just have a problem saying two ACCCGs were a failure considering the team's expectations of mediocrity going forward.

#58 mikcou

• 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

Im sorry, this whole thing is absurd. Every coaching change brings transition to the program. But the Plue thing is really just idiotic. First of all the guy doesnt even play tackle anymore. Secondly, he didnt fit zone blocking system because he was massively overweight at the time and the guy that Jags brought in instead of him, was you know, pretty good himself (in fact way better than Plue). Its nice that Plue has turned himself into a potential NFL guard but hating on Jags for not bringing Plue given what happened makes absolutely no sense.

#59 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

On the offensive side QB was the only real problem and that's partly Jags lack of recruiting a good QB as well as the spread and partly TOB not recruiting a QB.

I guess I just have a problem saying two ACCCGs were a failure considering the team's expectations of mediocrity going forward.

We can agree to disagree. He also lost his running backs (nice pick-up of Montel for sure) and now another receiver. His recruitment of OLinemen was mixed given the zone focus. He was a decent gameday coach but he was lost recruiting.

#60 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Apropos of nothing, the RB stable was pretty bare when he got there. There was, what, Callender, Whitworth AJ Brooks and nothing else?

#61 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Rumors are that Clyde Lee failed a druge test (shocking, I know) and Shakim was academically ineligible.

#62 mikcou

• 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

Rumors are that Clyde Lee failed a druge test (shocking, I know)

That was the assumption I was working on.

#63 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Rumors are that Clyde Lee failed a druge test (shocking, I know) and Shakim was academically ineligible.

Officially Lee is off the team for academic reasons.

Shakim made the decision to transfer. He may have been facing eligibility issues, but he did leave on his own accord

#64 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

I don't think those numbers are really atypical when you have a coaching change, particularly a contentious coaching change. I'm totally down on the football program right now, but this is a lame criticism of Jags. Spaz owns this program and all its success or failure at this point.

#65 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

I don't think those numbers are really atypical when you have a coaching change, particularly a contentious coaching change. I'm totally down on the football program right now, but this is a lame criticism of Jags. Spaz owns this program and all its success or failure at this point.

Come on the coaching change is such a BS excuse. Many left while Jags was still the coach (at least 8 I think), and of the ones who have left since at least 4 have been thrown out for academic reasons, and I think the number is higher. Maybe kids like Haden and Tuggle left for coaching change issues, but very few have.

#66 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

Come on the coaching change is such a BS excuse. Many left while Jags was still the coach (at least 8 I think), and of the ones who have left since at least 4 have been thrown out for academic reasons, and I think the number is higher. Maybe kids like Haden and Tuggle left for coaching change issues, but very few have.

So 4 kids per year left while Jags was coach...out of a roster of 80-100 kids. 4-5% turnover seems pretty reasonable to me.

#67 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

So 4 kids per year left while Jags was coach...out of a roster of 80-100 kids. 4-5% turnover seems pretty reasonable to me.

Not for BC.

#68 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Not for BC.

Look at some of TOBy's final years.

#69 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

I respect all the BC fans on this board. Really, I do.

BC has played in two conference championship games in its history. Who was the coach for those games?

BC's highest ranking in school history was #2. Who was the head coach when that happened?

If you want to argue that Steve Logan was the mastermind behind things and Jags wasn't doing much, then thats fine. Then screw Gene DeFillipo for not hiring Steve Logan as HC and instead hiring Grandpa Milk and Cookies and Dumbo as OC. But end of the day, the football program accomplished more under Jeff Jagodzinski than any other coach in recent history. I'd hear Tom Coughlin arguments, and if David Green hadn't fumbled against WVU, it would be Coughlin, but it's Jags.

The rest of this is revisionist nonsense. BC has had winning rosters every season of Spaz's tenure.

#70 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

I respect all the BC fans on this board. Really, I do.

BC has played in two conference championship games in its history. Who was the coach for those games?

BC's highest ranking in school history was #2. Who was the head coach when that happened?

If you want to argue that Steve Logan was the mastermind behind things and Jags wasn't doing much, then thats fine. Then screw Gene DeFillipo for not hiring Steve Logan as HC and instead hiring Grandpa Milk and Cookies and Dumbo as OC. But end of the day, the football program accomplished more under Jeff Jagodzinski than any other coach in recent history. I'd hear Tom Coughlin arguments, and if David Green hadn't fumbled against WVU, it would be Coughlin, but it's Jags.

The rest of this is revisionist nonsense. BC has had winning rosters every season of Spaz's tenure.

Unfortunately, in college 2 seasons worth of results with someone else's players don't tell the whole story. Additionally, we have the benefit of hindsight and he has totally flamed out and "looked bad doing it" (see what I did there?). I've given him credit for bringing in Logan who seemed to know how best to utilize Matty. The second year was almost 100% due to Spaz's defense. How many points did the Defense score that year? A lot.

Spaz absolutely is not without criticism. He was overly conservative in his hire of GT because he thought the program was in bad shape and in my opinion wanted to tread water. The things I am hearing about Rodgers make me very optimistic about this year's unit.

I'll say it again ... this year settles the arguments.

#71 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

As much as I don't necessarily agree with your evaluation of Jags, loving what you did with the quotation, yes.

#72 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

BC's offense was middle of the pack in 2008. Passing was awful but running was outstanding.

#73 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

BC's offense was middle of the pack in 2008. Passing was awful but running was outstanding.

the offense in 2008 and 2009 were almost identical in final numbers. The 2009 offense had fractionally better raw numbers, but the 2008 offense was ranked a bit higher. Neither were acceptable.

#74 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

Wasn't Crane pretty good at running the read-option (or whatever it was called) by the end of the year, at least considerably improved from the beginning of the year? Once he got hurt and Dom Davis handing off balls to the defense to run into the end-zone it was pretty much over.

#75 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

the offense in 2008 and 2009 were almost identical in final numbers. The 2009 offense had fractionally better raw numbers, but the 2008 offense was ranked a bit higher. Neither were acceptable.

Ratings in the ACC:

The 2008 Offense was 5th in PPG, 8th in YPG
The 2009 Offense was 8th in PPG, 9th in YPG
The 2010 Offense was 12th in PPG and 12th in YPG

#76 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Well, in 37 days the evaluation process begins as to whether the program is rebounding or if it is sinking into the abyss. I found out today that my daughter needs some help moving into her off campus apartment in beautiful, majestic Durham, NH so I will be flying back East from Seattle to help her with that over Labor Day weekend, which just happens to be Game 1 v. Northwestern. So I guess I will actually see the Eagles live this fall after all. My company's annual sales meeting in Andover is in October and the Eagles of course are road warriors for the entire month.

Any way, anyone else planning on speding part of the long weekend in Chestnut Hill?

As for Jags, Spaz, Toby, Coughlin, etc., the program today, 2011 is Spaz's puppy. Year 3 as HC, year 16 as a coach on the staff...this team is Spaz. Can he be an effective HC? Who knows? I personally think he is a career assistant and never should have been given the HC job. But we have discussed this till we are blue in the face. Bottom line is that this is Year 3 of his regime and HIS recruits, both offense and defense, are or should be the starters on this team. Usually year 3 is the one where you see where a program is going. Sometimes teams jell in year 2 but usually by the midpoint of year 3, you know if the HC is putting together a competitive program or not. I agree with Stape...2011 will tell us whether Spaz is HC quality or not. Up to this point, Spaz as HC ( excluding the Navy game after Toby left) is:

2009 - 8-5 with a bowl loss, take away the wins against Northeastern and Kent State and the team goes 6-5;

2010- 7-6 including only 1 win versus a BCS team with a winning record and a bowl loss. Take away the wins against Weber and Kent State and and the team goes 5-6;

Spaz is winless in bowl games, winless against SBCC and is exaclty .500 against legit D1 programs...it doesn't get any more middle of the road than that!!

.....and with all of that and with 463's stats above....GDF gives Spaz an extension in the offseason, when he had 3 years to go on his current deal at the time. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Edited by berniecarbo1, 27 July 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#77 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Ratings in the ACC:

The 2008 Offense was 5th in PPG, 8th in YPG
The 2009 Offense was 8th in PPG, 9th in YPG
The 2010 Offense was 12th in PPG and 12th in YPG

2008 Offense 319.4 YPG 24.7 PPG
2009 Offense 323.9 YPG 24.8 PPG

the YPG was basically steady in the 3 games Davis started (319 YPD), but the PPG did drop there (18)

the game that was part Crane (234), Part Davis hurt the YPG, but not the PPG (24)

And the numbers were worse in 2008 if you throw out the fact that defense (Safety, int ret, fumb ret)/special teams (punt returns), was responsible for 51 of the 348 points BC scored that year. The offense allowed 44 points (on int and fumb returns, not including ST here).

In 2009 the defense only scored 18 of the 322 points BC scored (one less game of course). ANd the Offense only handed the opponts 28 points.

(Note I am including the Extra point after a defensive TD as a defensive point)

So in 2008 the net points per game for the offense was 18.1. In 2009 the net points per game for the offense was 21.2

Obviously 2010 was a disaster, and I won't wast my time gathering those numbers

#78 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Obviously 2010 was a disaster, and I won't wast my time gathering those numbers

2010 BC Offensive Stats:

2010 Offense Avg PPG-18.5
2010 Offense Avg Total Yds per game-299
2010 Offense Avg Rush yds per game-128
2010 Offense Avg pass yds per game-186

2010 Offensive Rank-100 out of 120 D1 programs. They were just behind the likes of Washington State and Oregon State and just ahead of the likes of Western Kentucky and Iowa State. yup they offensive all right!! And for that the guy gets an extrension. If you take out the Kent State game anmd the Weber game, their average point total per game is 16...what a juggernaut!

Edited by berniecarbo1, 27 July 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#79 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

2010 BC Offensive Stats:

2010 Offense Avg PPG-18.5
2010 Offense Avg Total Yds per game-299
2010 Offense Avg Rush yds per game-128
2010 Offense Avg pass yds per game-186

2010 Offensive Rank-100 out of 120 D1 programs. They were just behind the likes of Washington State and Oregon State and just ahead of the likes of Western Kentucky and Iowa State. yup they offensive all right!! And for that the guy gets an extrension. If you take out the Kent State game anmd the Weber game, their average point total per game is 16...what a juggernaut!

Somewhat surprised to find out the offense allowed fewer points last year against, then the previous 2 years, only handing the opponent 21 points on the year. the defense only scored 14 points last year. So the net offensive PPG last year was 15.8. funny when you look at net points per game it was closer to 2008, than 2008 was to 2009

Funny you list Oregon St in there, because Oregon state has been a pretty high octane offense in recent years. They were top 30 nationally the previous 2 years (dead even with Oregon in 2009), and completely devastated largely by the injury to James Rogers.

#80 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11367 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'll be going to the game against Northwestern to join the 15 other BC fans who will be at the game.

#81 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8528 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'll be going to the game against Northwestern to join the 15 other BC fans who will be at the game.

I will also be at that game. Posted Image

#82 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

http://boston.sbnati...-media-day-2011

But, absent from the bulk of the weekend festivities was Boston College head coach Frank Spaziani. The man affectionately known as Spaz arrived casually late and left curiously early, seemingly uninterested in putting his face out there to promote the program the way so many of his colleagues have done in the past.

There's more, but I won't quote the whole thing. It's a perfect summary of what we have.

#83 doldmoose34

• impregnated Melissa Theuriau

• 2876 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

i'm sure you've been wondering where that asshole Moose was going to comedown on the Jags debate...and unlike our OC over the past 2 years, I'm going to PASS

couple things though, I don't know if anyone heard the 'face of the program' pumping up ticket sales on the radio with Joe and O'Brien during the Sox/KC game..Spaz was believe it or not, even MORE BORING THEN TRANQ'S OFENCE

no life, no selling, no talking up the schedule, it showed that the last place he wanted to be was at the game and on the radio

word over on EO is that DBS seats can be picked up without the donation..GDF has killed the goose, I cant wait to see the amout of cars on Shea for the NW game 2 or 3 rows?

#84 doldmoose34

• impregnated Melissa Theuriau

• 2876 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

as the ticket sales keep sinking into the res... I get this email (and I still havent renewed

Dear Football Season Ticket Holder,

Thank you for renewing your season tickets for the 2011 football season. With first-team All-American Luke Kuechly leading our defensive unit, and first-team All-ACC running back Montel Harris looking to run wild we are all extremely excited about the upcoming season. We know you are passionate about BC and will be with us at Alumni Stadium to support our team, but we want everyone to experience a Boston College football game day. We ask you to reach out to the people within your community and put together a group outing at a BC football game. Whether you are putting together an office outing or rounding up your youth football team we can provide you tickets to a Boston College Football game at the affordable price of $15 per ticket, for a group of 20 or more people and your group will have endzone seating.

As a thank you for putting together a group, or for referring us to a group leader we will provide you with a special edition autographed Boston College football mini helmet. In order to receive your Boston College mini football helmet please inform the group leader that he needs to reference your name at the time of booking the event. In addition, to the discounted tickets your group will be welcomed on the video boards, of Alumni Stadium, throughout the game and we will take a group photo and send it to you as a memento of the day you created.

Our team has been working hard all year and the student-athletes are ready for the season-opener against Northwestern on September 3, a game that will be featured on ESPNU. With your help we can make sure that Alumni Stadium is full of BC fans for the first home game of the season, the final home game against NC State, on November 12, and all the games in-between.

If you have any questions or to register your group please call the Outbound ticket office at 617-552-0145 or send an email to [email protected]

GO BC!

2011 Boston College Group Ticket Days

September 3 Northwestern, Scout Day

September 17 Duke, Military Appreciation Day

September 24 UMASS, Spirit Day (Band and Cheerleaders)

October 1 Wake Forest, Parents Weekend

November 12 NC State, Youth Day

Sincerely,

Justin Williams

#85 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Is this 2011 or 1979? That is sad. It hasn't been that bad at The Heights since BC went 0-11 32 years ago. That program is dead on arrival and it looks like they have thrown in the towel before there has even been a game played.

Ever to Excel!

#86 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Is this 2011 or 1979? That is sad. It hasn't been that bad at The Heights since BC went 0-11 32 years ago. That program is dead on arrival and it looks like they have thrown in the towel before there has even been a game played.

Ever to Excel!

So what is it that makes you think things are the worst they have been since 1979? I am not really sure what makes you believe they have thrown in the towel? The fact that they are still pushing for ticket sales?

#87 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

So what is it that makes you think things are the worst they have been since 1979? I am not really sure what makes you believe they have thrown in the towel? The fact that they are still pushing for ticket sales?

I think this a bit of a leap. Clearly they are having issues selling tix but this is happening all around the country. The program is "Dead on Arrival"? I don't quite get it. They had a decent recruiting class last year and are returning a very good defense which could/should improve. They have the pre-season ACC player of the year and the best defensive player in the conference.

Shouldn't we wait to see what happens this year and with the rest of this recruiting class before we make such a sweeping judgement?

Look, I am frustrated about the gameday situation. I would love to purchase season tickets this year and go to all the games with my family but I just can't justify paying another $3,500 for the space necessary for tailgating and this is a big part of the game day experience for me.

GDF is a mixed bag but [Again] I will say that we really do need to let this year play out before we make any broad statements about the program.

Here's a tidbit about Stanford's attendance from last year when they were on their way to a BCS bowl.

Stanford Univ. has had "excellent" football teams the past two seasons, but its attendance numbers "have stayed flat," according to Tom FitzGerald of the S.F. CHRONICLE. Stanford, ranked No. 4 in the BCS, drew "an average of 40,139 people to fan-friendly, 50,000-seat Stanford Stadium" this season. That is an average of 2,000 "fewer people" than last year.

Things are bad everywhere

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 04 August 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#88 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

The fact that they are pandering like that.... the fact that they used to be so friggin' arrogant about their product that they were doing folks a favor by getting them parking at St. Johhn's but sending BC security around and telling people no tailgates. The fact that they have to do a mass mailing to all ticketholders essentially begging them to put groups together. I asked my brother last night about this and he couldn't remember a time when they would basically be giving tickets away ( the face of the upper endzone seats are $20, they are discounting them 25% or $15 for groups and stub hub is selling them for as low as $10 as of last night) except right after the debacle that was 1978 and the 0-11 season. In 1979, and he reminded me of this, they would have promtions like "Arlington Day" or "High School Band Day" or other such things where they would sell tickets to residents of Arlington or to HS band kids for like $5 for the end zone seats by the plex. They haven't had those kind of promotions, on the scale that they are doing this year in a long, long time. For example, they have this group thing going as well as Military Appreciation Day at the Duke game. That will be a huge discount to active military on that day, along with the endzones being filled up with Revere Pop Warner, Foxboro Youth Cheering and the like.

Nothing wrong with any of that it in and of itself and most places set aside a few thousand seats for those types of things at every game...and they should. But what you usually get as far as notification of that stuff is something to the effect of "ask for group discounts" or " discounted tickets for valid Military ID" or some other type of wording that acknowldges that the programs exist, but they are not screaming at you like the letter Moose got. That tells me they are desperate. Notice the only game the promotions are off is FSU. They realize they have a crappy home schedule with a .500 football team, a running back coming off a major injury, and your only stud is a defensiver player. From a football side of things, we all know D is huge and it usually wins titles. However, O puts people in the seats. And coming into 2011, BC has a lot of questions on the O side of the ball. BC has gone from being a fun team to watch with a charasmatic coach and stud QB, to a mid level program with a dull, conservative game plan, a dull coach and no real superstars on the offense. That's why they have to resort to these really desperate marketing tactics. It's a shame.

#89 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11367 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

Montel Harris is going to break the ACC's all-time rushing record if he stays healthy but he's not a "stud"? Ok. I agree that Spaz was a boring hire and Tranquil was a disastrous OC choice but we'll see what the new guy Rogers can do.

#90 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Regardless of exactly how good or bad this team is, it has been one of the most boring programs in the nation for the past few years.

#91 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 06 August 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#92 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

Ok ... so regardless of our respective opinions about GDF, DBS and other controversial subjects most of us our fans of the program and this year looks to be quite an interesting year. With a few weeks to go before the season begins, how about some discussion about the upcoming season. The schedule, if not sexy, is one of the toughest in years and roster seems to be replenished in a number of areas which have in the past been thin, notably defensive line and defensive backfield.

By all accounts, Rodgers playbook will be a breath of fresh air from what we've seen the last couple of years. It looks like there will be multiple sets, a lot of play-action and more incorporation of the TEs into the passing game. From what I have read Rodgers approach seems more similar to a Coughlin rather than than Logan in his philosophy. Rettig is saying all the right things and I like the quotes coming from Spaz about him. Spaz typically underplays things but if you read his quotes about Chase, you can see that he thinks he has something here.

A few of my X-Factors (we all know about Luke and Montel so here are some other thoughts):

1. Momah -- Call me crazy but I think he is going to have a good year and play a significant role in the offense. He was just named a co-captain and all reports indicate that he has been a workout freak this summer getting himself in true WR shape. You may recall that he came in last year as a possible defensive lineman so he bulked up a bit. I also think he finished last season strong.

2. Swiggert -- He had a nice season but didn't show the burst many of us expected. Last year he was coming off of knee surgery during his senior year of HS(from baseball I think) which typically takes a year or so to fully recover. He also took the Spring off from baseball to focus on getting ready for this year's football season.

3. Noel -- I was really excited about what I saw from him at the end of last year. He made some truly athletic football plays and seemed to be all over the field as safety. This year he shows up on the two deep as a CB. I think this shows us that he is making even more strides.

4. Back-up Running Backs -- Roland Finch is back from knee injury and the buzz is good on him being a real contributor. We all saw what Andre Williams was capable of last year and Tahj Kimball could be a factor on Special Teams before the season is over.

5. Special Teams -- I really expect this to be a strength of this team. The kicker and punter are among the better this team has ever had as a tandem and the depth at LB, TE and DB bodes well for the coverage teams. Players like Kimball, Swiggert and Albert Louis Jean could also prove to be real contributors in the return game.

6. Rodgers -- This one's obvious but my biggest question is what happens when an aggressive play results in a mistake and puts the defense in a bad spot. Will Spaz tighten up or will he let Rodgers run the show? I have to imagine that Rodgers doesn't take the job without full playcalling authority but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

There are many other stories to watch but these are a few of the ones that intrigue me as BC starts practices.

Edit: Clean-up

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 09 August 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#93 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Here are the new uniforms.....WTF with the 49ers helmets??? Discuss among yourselves..

Posted Image

#94 Domer

• 1845 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

I see they've ditched the italics, so they now look less like an Arena League team. Why change the helmets though?

#95 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

I see they've ditched the italics, so they now look less like an Arena League team. Why change the helmets though?

It's an Under Armor thing. They try to build in specific characteristics for their teams. Last year the basketball numbers had a stained glass effect in them and the schools mottos were written into the shirts. The stripe on the helmets have the stained glass effect.

#96 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

This conference re-alignment thing has some real implications for BC. If FSU and Clemson are going to the SEC (which is being rumored), you crush the ACC from a footbal standpoint. Potentially when everything ends up, BC can basically end up back in the Big East again, because I can't see them being attractive to the Big 10.

This may end up being Gene's legacy if things fall as they are being rumored (ESPN had this as a done deal, now is saying likely).

#97 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

Ithink you would see the ACC go and grab Pitt and Syracuse as replacements. IMHO the ACC is much more stable than the BE and if one of those conferences were to crumble, I'm buying short on the BE

#98 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

So it sounds like there were many encouraging signs from the open scrimmage. Rettig looked great, Laramond fast and the offense clicking a bit. It is still early for sure but to see the offense being productive at this stage is a good sign. All of the back-up running backs also made a little noise with Williams breaking a long run and Finch leading RBs in yards.

#99 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11367 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

The best news, according to a friend at the game, was that we actually ran some play action plays. I almost fell off my couch when I heard that.

#100 yeahlunchbox

• 154 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

This conference re-alignment thing has some real implications for BC. If FSU and Clemson are going to the SEC (which is being rumored), you crush the ACC from a footbal standpoint. Potentially when everything ends up, BC can basically end up back in the Big East again, because I can't see them being attractive to the Big 10.

This may end up being Gene's legacy if things fall as they are being rumored (ESPN had this as a done deal, now is saying likely).

I agree with Berniecarbo in that BC is better off now if the conference shake up eventually happens than if they were still in the Big East. The ACC might not be great if FSU and Clemson leave, although what have they done since BC has been in the conference, but they'll still be a stable conference that can more easily poach from the Big East than vice versa. One big winner with this being postponed is potentially UMass. Now they get a couple years in FBS to build some kind of resume to try and prove themselves to the Big East if they need more football teams in the future.