Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011 BC Football....It's Run by a Spaz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
577 replies to this topic

#1 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

Since today was the McGillis Spring game, I figured the new thread should fire itself up. Anybody go to this game?? If so, what are the takeways, both good and bad?

#2 doldmoose34

• impregnated Melissa Theuriau

• 2876 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

Since today was the McGillis Spring game, I figured the new thread should fire itself up. Anybody go to this game?? If so, what are the takeways, both good and bad?

I didn't go yesterday, trying to make up in the yard for a couple weeks on the DL and get it up to its usual Augusta National, ok Widows Walk standards

from what I read on Outsider, sounds like Chase the Chosen had a good day, and Drunken Uncle Dave was the best of the rest

#3 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5258 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Also sounds like the secondary and DL could catch up to the LBs this year as part of a formidable defense this year. Can't underestimate how important the recruiting of ALJ was to this team.

If Larmond stays healthy they again contend for the Atlantic.

#4 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Good story about Herzy in Boston.com

http://www.boston.co...ll_Sports_links

The NFL has invited him to NYC for the draft so that tells me that there are a few teams out there that at least have put him on their draft board. It looks like he is still not where he was prior to his illness but my God, the kid came back, played a 13 game college schedule, beat cancer, played in the Senior Bowl and is probably the most inspirational player ever to come out of college football since maybe Ernie Davis at Syracuse 50 years ago......He will make some team that much better just by having him on it. I hope its the Pats or the Niners, but don't be surprised in the 5th round if the Ravens don't draft him. They need LB's and another Harbough is there, plus it is close to Philly where Herzy's doctors are located.

#5 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7197 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

From what his dad posted on EO, he's going to go there for when they bring everyone up on stage, do a few interviews, head to the audience for a bit (not the green room) and then head out after being there for less than an hour.

#6 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

Very disappointed that Herzy didn't get picked by somebody, especially in the 6th or 7th round. SF had 12 picks. I thoought they might use one on him. But the NFL first and foremost is a business as this labor thing clearly shows. They are not going to chance a draft pick on a guy in Herzy's situation.

You might see him signed to a free agent deal but only if the labor situation resolves soon. A team can't talk to him at this point so they can't get him in, start working him out, monitor him, etc. The longer the labor talks go on, the less of a chance we all might see him in an NFL uniform any time soon. The whole scenario just shows all of us, no matter what we do and where we are in life, there is no such thing as a sure thing. Herzy in 2008 was a "sure thing". Today, do to absolutely no fault of his own, he is a former college football player who may, may get a flyer look by an NFL team this summer. In most ways his story is something out of the movies. Unfortunately it looks like, on the football side, it won't have a Hollywood ending.

#7 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

I saw this article in the Globe online today:

http://www.boston.co..._of_its_league/

I am a football guy not a BC basketball or BC baseball guy at all. But the one thing I takeaway from this article is that there is a bit of a spin out there by GDF. As to football only (I will leave the critique of the article as to hoops and baseball to the more knowledgeable of you out there) the numbers put up are a bit deceiving. If you look at BC's record against BCS program schools under Spaz, it is very poor. Blaudshun acknowledges that they haven't beat a ranked team since 2004 and last season they had only 1 win against a BCS team with a winning record. The overall win total has been inflated as it includes the likes of Northeastern, UMass, Maine, URI, wekass MAC teams and generally poor, second division ACC foes. They have lost to SBCC the last couple of years and the days or ripping 6-7 consecutive wins against ND are probably history at this point. Not that they can't win now and again, but I don't think you wll see that kind of dominance anymore.

Spaz acknowledges Miami and FSU are improving and the fact that UMass will now be in D1 will make that game tougher. GDF set up a schedule so that BC will win 6 games a year. They play to go 2-4 against good teams so that they can be 8-4 at the end of the year and play the likes of Southern Miss or Fresno State in the Eaglebank Bowl or the SF Bowl. In a town where winning championships has now become the litmus test, playing deadass football schedules so you can be mediocre is not the recipe to garner a fan base. If UMass plays a national nonconference schedule at Gillette in the next few years, I can easily see them taking the small group of college football fans in Boston away from BC.

And finally, I find it bizarre that GDF would take credit for the hockey program. He didn't hire Jerry York. Jerry was in the job and was in the process of turning the program around in 1997 after the shitstorm that was Lenny Ceglraski, Mike Millbury and Steve Cedarchuk. 2 years after GDF came on the job Jerry had hockey in the Frozen Four. they had a national title 2years after that. What did GDF have to do with any of that??? Oh, he didn't fire Jerry when he came on board? Also, he made no hires of any men's revenue sports until Jags in football and Donahue last year in hoops. What a fraud!

Edited by berniecarbo1, 19 June 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#8 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Bernie you're right the best thing is that the godawfulfatha has left Jerry the fuck alone... interesting that a posative BC in ACC article would come from Blaupunk, with a reasonable quote from Trainedgeese

GDF is going on the 60 day DL with a torn rotator cuff, from patting himself on the back

#9 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7868 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:15 AM

Phil Steele rates BC schedule as 6th toughest in the nation

#10 Infield Infidel

• 7868 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Football Study Hall with a season preview for BC. Here's the nut graph

B.C. needed quite a bit of fumbles luck to produce a good turnover margin, and ... really, this just wasn't a very good team last year. In terms of Def. F/+, the Boston College defense has improved, at least slightly, in each of the last three years. Unfortunately, the offense has regressed at a steeper rate than the defense has progressed. It is easy to see the steady fall as a sign that Frank Spaziani fits into the "A great assistant coach who, when promoted to head coach, proved himself to be a great assistant coach" model, and who knows, you might not be wrong. We'll begin to find out this year, with a new hand leading the offense. If Kevin Rogers can breathe some life into a dying offense, then things could rather quickly turn around. The offense doesn't have to be good; it just has to be average for B.C. to succeed.

#11 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8528 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Nice find II. Thanks for the link.

As the dad of a BC student I'll now be catching a few games from time to time.

#12 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

Other than some promising OL recruits, is there ANY reason to get excited about the guys signed to-date in the 2012 class? Looks like a ton of reaches already.

Ever to be Mediocre.

#13 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Football Study Hall with a season preview for BC. Here's the nut graph

Infield....this article just confrims what I have been preaching on this thread for 3 years now....boring, mediocre offensive football.....and solid, not dominating, defense. Translation....you play not to lose. That is GDF's mantra. He wants nice, conservative play, no chances, heaven help us if they try something exciting and it worked....that would mean we would have to have imaginative coaches. Those kind of guys think too much and get full of themselves and dare we say, move on to bigger and better situations! How dare someone try to improve their position in life. GDF didn't bounce around and leave a low end BE AD job at Villanova for a biger and better job at BC...wait a minute, he did...hmmm.

Seriously, the football program is in trouble fellas. Unless this new OC can be more imaginative it will be more of the same old, same old. Hope I am wrong, but I see another 8-4 record and a trip to DC and the Eagle Bank Bowl against Tulane this December...yawn.

#14 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

I got very, very worried about the program when Gene did the interview in which he washed his hands of things and said he didn't even interview Kevin Rogers (when sources close to things said the delay in the hire was due to Gene being out of the country I believe).

This led me to believe he knew the ship was sinking.

I have never known of anyone close to the situation who said anything other than Gene is very passionate about the BC football program - that said, the same sources say Gene is horrified by the ticket situation.

This is the same thing that led Skinner to the door.

Eagleoutsider suggests there is a bit of a mutiny amongst the coaches pointing fingers at each other as they feel the ship sinking; I don't know anything about the truthfulness of that.

What I think is remarkable is that there is a coach available right now who would likely work within BC's admission standards and would immediately make BC relevant again, and I believe would take the job at a salary the school would pay and would even be willing to stay at the school for a long period of time.

However, he would become the face of the franchise; I doubt Gene is willing to give that up again to someone who might walk away.

(I am talking of course about the Pirate formerly of Lubbock, Craig James' favorite HC)

#15 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

I got very, very worried about the program when Gene did the interview in which he washed his hands of things and said he didn't even interview Kevin Rogers (when sources close to things said the delay in the hire was due to Gene being out of the country I believe).

This led me to believe he knew the ship was sinking.

I have never known of anyone close to the situation who said anything other than Gene is very passionate about the BC football program - that said, the same sources say Gene is horrified by the ticket situation.

This is the same thing that led Skinner to the door.

Eagleoutsider suggests there is a bit of a mutiny amongst the coaches pointing fingers at each other as they feel the ship sinking; I don't know anything about the truthfulness of that.

What I think is remarkable is that there is a coach available right now who would likely work within BC's admission standards and would immediately make BC relevant again, and I believe would take the job at a salary the school would pay and would even be willing to stay at the school for a long period of time.

However, he would become the face of the franchise; I doubt Gene is willing to give that up again to someone who might walk away.

(I am talking of course about the Pirate formerly of Lubbock, Craig James' favorite HC)

Couple of points...

1. GDF knows his products stinks and that interview is him distancing himself from it so he has a fall guy....Uncle Spazzie.
2. There are coaches who would take the job and would stay there 4 years...and only 4 years, try to show they can build a program and get the hell out of there. Problem is, they have to work for GDF.
3. GDF put the program to where it is now. His hiring of, and subsequent firing of, Jags and the BS press conference made the HC job at BC move from a good solid career starter or rebuilder to a dead end oasis for has beens or never will be's. I mean, the list of coaches up till Jags, whether you thought they were any good or not, all ended up in a better place after they left the Heights...either to pros as a coordinator or HC, or another school as an HC. Where will Spaz end up??

The program will never get any better and the UConn's, Syracuses's and I"m sorry to say UMass, will eventually overtake it. The home schedules always suck, they play uninspired football and people are tired of a medicocre product.

#16 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Couple of points...

1. GDF knows his products stinks and that interview is him distancing himself from it so he has a fall guy....Uncle Spazzie.
2. There are coaches who would take the job and would stay there 4 years...and only 4 years, try to show they can build a program and get the hell out of there. Problem is, they have to work for GDF.
3. GDF put the program to where it is now. His hiring of, and subsequent firing of, Jags and the BS press conference made the HC job at BC move from a good solid career starter or rebuilder to a dead end oasis for has beens or never will be's. I mean, the list of coaches up till Jags, whether you thought they were any good or not, all ended up in a better place after they left the Heights...either to pros as a coordinator or HC, or another school as an HC. Where will Spaz end up??

The program will never get any better and the UConn's, Syracuses's and I"m sorry to say UMass, will eventually overtake it. The home schedules always suck, they play uninspired football and people are tired of a medicocre product.

UConn, Syracuse, and UMass will never "overtake" BC. That's just ludicrous. However, it's pretty clear that UConn, Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers will be competing with each other for talent. None of these schools will be rising above their current level.

#17 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I agree that is why GDF is running away from Grandpa Milk and Cookies. I had hoped the internal view was positive, I now know that is not the case.

I have no idea which coaches would or wouldn't stay at BC for a long time. The only coach we've had in the last 25 years who wasn't shitcanned was Tom Coughlin (O'Brien obviously didnt get fired but Gene called the car service and asked the plane to Raleigh not to stop and refuel). And Tom Coughlin won a Super Bowl. There isn't any other history on the subject one way or the other. Jerry York has been at BC 15 years. Al Skinner was there over 10 and got fired. Jim O'Brien resigned after many years on the job.

The case that BC is a stepping stone is based on Tom Coughlin, Dr. Tom Davis, and Gary Williams.

The idea that UConn and Umass are better jobs than BC's leads me to believe that they are made by someone who would very much like to see that happen. Syracuse - tough to say, you have some history going for you there, so I won't argue Syracuse has fertile recruiting potential and a great history but UConn or UMass needs both a decent conference and the right coach to go in there.

#18 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

UConn, Syracuse, and UMass will never "overtake" BC. That's just ludicrous. However, it's pretty clear that UConn, Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers will be competing with each other for talent. None of these schools will be rising above their current level.

Never say "never". In fact, before Syracuse hired that abomination that was GRob, the Orange were just as good as BC and I would venture to say that overall, under Mac, they were better, much better. They will be playing each other every year starting I beleive in 2013 so the mettle of the two (2) programs will be played out on the field, where it belongs, and we will see which program is better at the end of the day.

As to UConn and UMass, I am not wishing that they outperform BC at all, quite the contrary, especially UConn. But, both schools are state schools with now a committemnt to D1 football.

UConn, has in 10 years roughly, come from a middle of the road FCS program to a team that is now starting to go to bowl games on a regular basis. Since the teams don't play each other, we really can't compare them heads up, but we can look at the strength of schedule, non conference opponents, and the like to gauge them. For some reason, most BC folks don't look at this realistically. UConn is now playing in the next 5 years the following BCS non conference schools (Michigan, Wake, Vandy, Maryland, Tennessee, NC State and Iowa State). They also have UCF and UMass in there. Many of those schools are on BC's schedule ( in fact BC plays as its BCS non conference foes over the next 5 years SBCC, Northwestern and USC...they also play UMass and UCF as D1 non conference opponents). Throw in Army as well as the ACC round robin and that's BC football for the next 5 years. BC and UConn play a lot of common opponents and many of their non conference foes are simliar ( i.e. ND-Mich, Iowa State-Northwestern). Over the next 5 years I think you will be able to truly compare the two (2) programs to see where they rank against one another.

Finally, as to UMass...obviously as a MAC school they will not be on the same level as BC. But does anyone really think they will be a MAC school for more than a couple of years?? The UMass football team will be the entire UMass system's football team and although they will practice in Amherst and go to class there, they will play out of Foxboro. They will have the entire state university system behind it as well as the Krafts and their marketing and business expertise. It is an ingenious plan, right out of the Nike-Oregon playbook. UMass will eventually move into the Big East and join the 9 other football schools in a 10 team football/basketball league. A lot of ifs, I know, but IF all that happens...yup, UMass will surpass BC in about 7 years.

Edited by berniecarbo1, 05 July 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#19 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

My point isn't that BC is head and shoulders above these schools. In fact, I'm a bit bummed out because we should be better than them but aren't since the program has gone stagnant since 2007. UConn has had some nice players come out recently but they still haven't had a team that has been any good, or better than some of the BC teams we've seen in the past decade. Their BCS bowl appearance was only the product of being the least shitty option in the Big East. Of course, I would have loved for BC to be the least shitty option in the ACC so I'll give UConn credit for taking care of business, which is something that BC NEVER does. Both BC and UConn are better than Syracuse and Rutgers. Syracuse could be on its way up but there's a ceiling on their ascension. And Rutgers is even more pathetic since they play in a recruiting hotbed, get a lot of this talent, yet suck year after year after year. For some reason, Schiano has been able to con NJ residents into thinking that 1 "dream" season where his team beat nobody special and then later got exposed has been worth a decade of futility. As for UMass, who knows what will happen with that program but kids aren't all of a sudden going to be opting for Amherst over Chestnut Hill. It'll be at least a decade before we see them even approach the Syracuse, UConn's of the world.

The bottom line is that whether fans of these schools like it or not, we're all pretty much created equal (sans UMass for now). BC, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. are all mid-tier D1 teams that will only be able to make a BCS bowl game if their conference is weak. BC had a great window with FSU, Miami, etc. being mediocre but I'm afraid we've blown it. And now I see Spaz taking no-star flyers on half his recruiting class. Sure, take a couple of them if you really like them but this program has churned out some major talent the past decade, has been pretty successful, and, yet, we've completely regressed on the recruiting front. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. began to pull in better classes year after year until BC gets a coaching staff with a pulse.

#20 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

let em throw some shit on the wall based upon recents posts

1) there is nothing in that SBN link that is off base either on the state of the team/fan base or prospects for the season

2) its no seceret where I work and my company's intimate relationship with Fenway Sports, I buy ONE season ticket every other year, cash money in the corner endzone (sit with my friends on 35 anyway) just so that I don't have to worry about having a ticket for the SBCC game. with in the past few weeks i've recieved several calls on my cell from the BCAA about my ticket plans for this year..while it is nice to see them being pro-active i have ONE $175 ticket in a corner if they are that far down the non renew list we're looking at desperate times this fall

3) word on EO is that they are selling tickets in the DBS sections without paying the donation..GDF so overplayed this years ago its retarded

4) the schedule fucking sucks the only good game is FSU on a THURSDAY NIGHT, pissa where do i send that 5k check to park Gene?

and I'M the EXCEPTION to the way the SBN article described the rankings of the local interest mine has always been Sox/BC 1 & 1a

Bernie, I doubt that Cow College Amherst will ever surpass BC football, I don't see any loyalty from someone at the old SMU/U Mass Dartmouth to Mass Aggie.. if they bring in some big'uns to play at Gillette there will be a good crowd, other then that its gonna be UMass vs Ball State infront of a crowd smaller then the Rev's get

#21 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

let em throw some shit on the wall based upon recents posts

Bernie, I doubt that Cow College Amherst will ever surpass BC football, I don't see any loyalty from someone at the old SMU/U Mass Dartmouth to Mass Aggie.. if they bring in some big'uns to play at Gillette there will be a good crowd, other then that its gonna be UMass vs Ball State infront of a crowd smaller then the Rev's get

You may be right Moose as to UMass, but my point is the landscape in football in New England is changing dramatically and it just seems that BC is not in step. It doesn't have the market cornered as it once did. These other programs are starting to play national schedules and the small college football market in New England now has choices. If BC doesn't put a more exciting product on the field and have home games that people actually want to attend, then the ship will most definitely sink....faster than GDF ever thought possible.

#22 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

You may be right Moose as to UMass, but my point is the landscape in football in New England is changing dramatically and it just seems that BC is not in step. It doesn't have the market cornered as it once did. These other programs are starting to play national schedules and the small college football market in New England now has choices. If BC doesn't put a more exciting product on the field and have home games that people actually want to attend, then the ship will most definitely sink....faster than GDF ever thought possible.

The ship won't "sink" but it'll certainly take on some water. Gene is already feeling the effects of dumbing down the schedule, as BC is having problems selling the donor-based seats. That's one area where he completely over-estimated demand. I mean, just look at the home games this year:

Northwestern
Duke
UMass
Wake Forest
FSU (Thursday night)
NC State

Who in their right mind is going to pay a king's ransom for the donor seats/parking when the best Saturday home game in 2011 is NC State?

#23 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Spaz lands yet another no-name Mass recruit who was recruited by nobody.

WE ARE.......going to suck for a while.

#24 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

The EO crowd is irate about the recruiting class...

Truth is, no one involved with the program cares about recruiting here, so it doesn't affect Gene.

I dont know enough about these kids to comment - if they blow up their senior year, and we don't get them, the commentary is how Spaz had these guys in camp and can't evaluate talent properly. So I don't have an issue with the camp offers.

I have an issue with the fact that this staff is behaving weird about recruiting, setting number targets as opposed to just getting the best talent....Gene is washing his hands of things...the situation is screwed up.

#25 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

The ship won't "sink" but it'll certainly take on some water. Gene is already feeling the effects of dumbing down the schedule, as BC is having problems selling the donor-based seats. That's one area where he completely over-estimated demand. I mean, just look at the home games this year:

Northwestern
Duke
UMass
Wake Forest
FSU (Thursday night)
NC State

Who in their right mind is going to pay a king's ransom for the donor seats/parking when the best Saturday home game in 2011 is NC State?

As bad as the home schedule is this year, the 2012 home slate is pretty damn good:

Notre Dame
Miami
Clemson
Va Tech
Army
Maryland
Maine

Having said that, if the team sucks, it won't be much fun watching them get pasted on their home field. As for GDF washing his hands on the recruiting, doesn't surprise me. He has to be totally clean of the program when he axes Spaz at the end of the year (most likely kicking him upstairs in a consultant role for the next couple of years till he hits 65, his contract expires and he can go out on a university pension). A nice thank you for being The Godfather's butt boy over the last 15 odd years. Start looking for a 30 something FCS HC who is moving a program in the right direction and is willing to commit 4 years to a program....or a 50 something retread who has run the race and is looking for a nice landing...those are your potential HC's for 2012.

#26 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5258 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Spaz is going to the beat of his own drum but he is not settling. He may prove to be wrong but he is neither lazy nor dumb.

He and McGovern have been recruiting the D for years and that's worked out pretty good no?

I've decided to let Spaz and Rodgers do their thing and let the results dictate my response. I do understand the concern but am willing to let things play out.

The next couple of years rise or fail on Rettig.

#27 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

DS - I'm not sure if the EO crowd suggests lazy or dumb. I think they suggest that he has been in "Manage Expectations" mode since he arrived.

I don't think it's an unfair criticism. His tenure has been mediocre. Blame it on Jags, blame it on whomever. He hired a retread offensive coordinator who made Dana Bible look like Steve Spurrier and they basically saw all their talent regress all over the field.

I don't know that it's all on Rettig. They have Suntrup behind him as well, hopefully redshirting this year. The last time we saw a QB improve during a season was Chris Crane (who did get better before getting hurt).

I think we'd all agree that the "downgrade" of Jags to Spaz was nothing compared from the downgrade from Steve Logan to Dumbo. The defense has been fine.

I would say Kevin Rogers is more important to the future of BC football right now than Frank Spaziani.

#28 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5258 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

DS - I'm not sure if the EO crowd suggests lazy or dumb. I think they suggest that he has been in "Manage Expectations" mode since he arrived.

I don't think it's an unfair criticism. His tenure has been mediocre. Blame it on Jags, blame it on whomever. He hired a retread offensive coordinator who made Dana Bible look like Steve Spurrier and they basically saw all their talent regress all over the field.

I don't know that it's all on Rettig. They have Suntrup behind him as well, hopefully redshirting this year. The last time we saw a QB improve during a season was Chris Crane (who did get better before getting hurt).

I think we'd all agree that the "downgrade" of Jags to Spaz was nothing compared from the downgrade from Steve Logan to Dumbo. The defense has been fine.

I would say Kevin Rogers is more important to the future of BC football right now than Frank Spaziani.

I've been pretty consistent in my position that I think Spaz was given a weak hand to start with and as such tried to right the ship through a conservative approach to keep the program from bottoming out (while believing that realistically the team had a really low ceiling the last two years). I agree that this approach/perspective/opinion is subject to debate.

I may be living in denial but I am hopeful that the ultra-conservative approach of the last two years was driven by just this. This year we will find out. I think he has built some depth by playing some younger kids with talent. The defense should be strong this year. I think Fletcher is an absolute stud and really like Noel. Additionally, if Ramsey stays healthy he can also be a beast.

I think the hiring of Rodgers shows that Spaz is willing to open up his approach a bit but if we see a reversion to what we saw under Traq I will not be happy. I don't expect a wide open Logan-esque approach but I do expect the offense to take more chances and be more innovative.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 13 July 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#29 kenneycb

• 7197 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

What's this weak hand Spaz was given? Yes, there was a problem at QB but that stems from Tobias' recruiting and the change from spread to a 1930s offense and, aside from that, pretty much the entire offense returned from the year before, including most of the OL, Gunnell and Larmond, Montel, Haden and others.

Edit: The defense has been relatively strong over the past decade so I'm assuming you're not referring to that with regards to the weak hand.

Edited by kenneycb, 13 July 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#30 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5258 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

What's this weak hand Spaz was given? ... there was a problem at QB ....

Yup ... that.

Like I said ... This year should settle the arguments.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 13 July 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#31 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yup ... that.

Like I said ... This year should settle the arguments.

It really will. If you're being nice, you could give Spaz a break for the first 2 years but now the time has come for him to earn his keep. We're in Year #3, have the best RB in the ACC, Larmond is back, Rettig has taken his lumps and has had a full offseason, and we should have another talented defense. All of this should translate into 8+ wins this season. If it doesn't, Gene will need to find us a younger Donahue-type to lead the football program. We simply can't let the downward spiral continue or we'll see more of this shit recruiting classes that we're seeing so far for 2012.

#32 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

It really will. If you're being nice, you could give Spaz a break for the first 2 years but now the time has come for him to earn his keep. We're in Year #3, have the best RB in the ACC, Larmond is back, Rettig has taken his lumps and has had a full offseason, and we should have another talented defense. All of this should translate into 8+ wins this season. If it doesn't, Gene will need to find us a younger Donahue-type to lead the football program. We simply can't let the downward spiral continue or we'll see more of this shit recruiting classes that we're seeing so far for 2012.

8 wins would take a miracle for Spaz. Where are the wins on this schedule after October 1?

I can maybe see them starting 4-1 (3-2 also a possibility with Northwestern and UCF on the road; both should be tough this year), but predicting 4 wins out of the following is quite a gutsy call:

@Clemson
@Virginia Tech
@Maryland
Florida State
NC State
@Notre Dame
@Miami

I also wonder what young, up-and-coming coach is going to want to come to BC and deal with elevated admissions standards and an AD who just ran a very successful coach out of town for interviewing with an NFL team.

Edited by Captaincoop, 13 July 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#33 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

8 wins would take a miracle for Spaz. Where are the wins on this schedule after October 1?

I can maybe see them starting 4-1 (3-2 also a possibility with Northwestern and UCF on the road; both should be tough this year), but predicting 4 wins out of the following is quite a gutsy call:

@ClemsonLOSS
@Virginia TechLOSS
@MarylandToss Up this will be HCRE's super bowl
Florida StateToss Uphome
NC StateWIN if Spaz loses to Toby at home he should pack his things that night
@Notre Dame ? stranger things have happened
@MiamiLoss based on talent alone, lets se what Golden brings

I also wonder what young, up-and-coming coach is going to want to come to BC and deal with elevated admissions standards and an AD who thinks and acts like he is the HC just ran a very successful coach out of town for interviewing with an NFL team.

#34 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15830 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

As far as the home schedule for 2012 is concerned, Stony Brook is also playing at BC.

#35 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

You know I love you, Moose, but FSU-BC is a toss-up?

Isn't FSU expected to be a top ten team coming into the year?

#36 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

@Clemson
@Virginia Tech
@Maryland
Florida State
NC State
@Notre Dame
@Miami

I also wonder what young, up-and-coming coach is going to want to come to BC and deal with elevated admissions standards and an AD who just ran a very successful coach out of town for interviewing with an NFL team.

I'm sorry but none of those teams are world beaters. We don't have the talent to go 10-2 or anything but 8 wins should be a reasonable goal given the talent we still have on the team. If Rettig makes a considerable jump in Year 2, we can certainly win 7-8 games. If he doesn't, then we're looking at 5-6 wins. The new OC certainly has his work cut out for him but the cupboard isn't exactly empty.

#37 kenneycb

• 7197 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

You know I love you, Moose, but FSU-BC is a toss-up?

Isn't FSU expected to be a top ten team coming into the year?

Aren't they every year?

#38 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

Aren't they every year?

I can't even remember the last time FSU came into a season with a top-ten or top-five type team. It has to have been at least 5 years. They're the clear-cut favorites to win the ACC whatever-it's-called division. That's not to say that BC has no shot against FSU, but you can't call it a toss-up right now.

If you're being remotely objective, you have to put the FSU, Notre Dame, and VTech games in the "L" column going into the year. Clemson and Miami are down, but those games are never easy on the road. The swing games in the conference are the NC State and Maryland games - Spaz absolutely has to get both of those for this season to be a success.

Edited by Captaincoop, 14 July 2011 - 02:04 PM.

#39 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4739 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

I can't even remember the last time FSU came into a season with a top-ten or top-five type team. It has to have been at least 5 years. They're the clear-cut favorites to win the ACC whatever-it's-called division. That's not to say that BC has no shot against FSU, but you can't call it a toss-up right now.

If you're being remotely objective, you have to put the FSU, Notre Dame, and VTech games in the "L" column going into the year. Clemson and Miami are down, but those games are never easy on the road. The swing games in the conference are the NC State and Maryland games - Spaz absolutely has to get both of those for this season to be a success.

I agree with you on everything but Notre Dame. That is not an L going into the season, they are always highly overrated and while they have beaten BC the last two year, they weren't all that impressive. Last year they played BC when Rettig had just gotten into his first game ever in his collegiate career. Also two years ago Notre Dame barely won in ND and played incredibly poorly as all Shinksie was doing was throwing to Gunnel over and over and over and over and they could do nothing about it.

#40 kenneycb

• 7197 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Yeah. I think I'm probably mixing up recruiting rankings and polls. Regardless, those games always seem to be close no matter how good or bad either team is.

#41 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Our new OC on playing against ND:

"Obviously, there will be mixed emotions. Coach (Brian) Kelly is starting to get that thing rolling there. There won't be much time to reminisce that weekend. I'm just hoping we can be competitive."

I already hate this man.

#42 Infield Infidel

• 7868 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

"Obviously, there will be mixed emotions. Coach (Brian) Kelly is starting to get that thing rolling there. There won't be much time to reminisce that weekend. I'm just hoping we can be competitive."

I already hate this man.

Benefit of the doubt, but I think he's saying that because he doesn't want a blowout for either side since he's apparently close to Kelly

#43 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

I already hate this man.

That quote sums up everything that has been wrong with BC football for the last 15 years.

#44 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Benefit of the doubt, but I think he's saying that because he doesn't want a blowout for either side since he's apparently close to Kelly

Huh? He said, "I'm hoping we can be competitive", which is Spaz/TOB loser speak for "I have no confidence in myself or my team". Now it's just one line in an interview that nobody is going to read but I really hope it isn't a harbinger for things to come. I loved Jags even though he turned out to be a complete sleeze because he didn't coach like he had piss dribbling down his leg. We all know that was TOB's trademark and Spaz is more of the same. We were the #2 team in the nation at one point 4 years ago and now our coaches are hoping that we don't get blown out by every half-decent opponent we play. Of course, I almost don't blame Spaz because every half decent team exposes him as the shitty head coach that he is (disclaimer: I love Spaz the defensive coordinator but think he's in way over his head as a head coach). To be a very good defensive coordinator for so long without even getting a sniff of a decent head coaching job throws up a ton of red flags, in my opinion.

#45 kenneycb

• 7197 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Or he could have been saying it out of jest and in a sarcastic manner. Hard to tell without context.

#46 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11406 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Or he could have been saying it out of jest and in a sarcastic manner. Hard to tell without context.

Too late, I've already convicted him. But he'll get a more lenient sentence if he can devise a gameplan that involves those hybrid WR/OL guys that we have on the roster. Whoops, I mean tight ends. Sorry, it's been a while.

#47 Infield Infidel

• 7868 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Huh? He said, "I'm hoping we can be competitive", which is Spaz/TOB loser speak for "I have no confidence in myself or my team".

The previous sentence was about Brian Kelly. The next sentence says "I", so it is certainly valid to infer that "we" refers to the last two people referenced in the quote, Brian Kelly and Kevin Rogers, i.e. "I'm just hoping Brian Kelly and I can be competitive." Like competitive with each other and not have a blowout.

I agree that it could also refer to the team, but that isn't who he was talking about before that particular sentence. Neither of us really know because it's a pretty shitty quote that wasn't fleshed out by the reporter. A link would also help for those of us who didn't read the article.

edit: is this it? http://www.rivals.co...asp?CID=1240307
From there, I can better see what you are saying, but he could just be hoping for a close game between the two schools, one of which he has ties too. You as a fan are probably hoping for a 53-13 buttwhooping by BC, so of course you'd disagree :)
Again, it's a quote a better reporter would have clarified with a parenthetical (which you always do with unclear pronouns).

Also, Rogers is 59!? Is this a case of younger guys not wanting to coach there or GDF/Spaz just preferring lifers over young guys?

Edited by Infield Infidel, 15 July 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#48 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

Lifers....his staff is full of them. Go along to get along. That's the BC motto. To paraphase a former coach "You play to not lose the game" Ever to Excel!!

#49 kenneycb

• 7197 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

Too late, I've already convicted him. But he'll get a more lenient sentence if he can devise a gameplan that involves those hybrid WR/OL guys that we have on the roster. Whoops, I mean tight ends. Sorry, it's been a while.

From what's been coming out from Rettig it sounds like the offensive gameplan has at least moved into the 1970s and the wishbone formation. Only 40 years behind now instead of the previous 80. WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!

#50 4 6 3 DP

• 1268 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Shakim Phillips and Clyde Lee gone.