Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011 Washington Nationals Regular Season Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

The current roster and lineup for the 2011 Nationals:

Current Roster
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Mike Morse
2B - Danny Espinosa
SS - Ian Desmond
3B - Ryan Zinmmerman
LF - Jonny Gomes
CF - Rick Ankiel
RF - Jayson Werth

Bench - Alex Cora, Jesus Flores, Laynce Nix, Brian Bixler

SP - Livan Hernandez
SP - John Lannan
SP - Jordan Zimmerman
SP - Chien Ming Wang
SP - Ross Detwiler
Closer - Drew Storen

Bullpen - Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, Collin Balester, Tom Gorzelanny, Henry Rodriguez, Todd Coffey, Ryan Mattheus

AAA Shuttle/Backups/DL:
SP - Oliver Perez, Yuniesky Maya, Stephen Strasburg (DL-60), Luis Atilano, Matt Chico, Garrett Mock, Craig Stammen

RP - Doug Slaten (DL-15), Elvin Ramirez (DL-60), Atahualpa Severino, Adam Carr, Cole Kimball (DL-15), Cla Meredith (DL)

OF - Roger Bernadina, Jon Van Every, Corey Brown, Bryce Harper, Jerry Owens

IF - Chris Marrero, Adam LaRoche (DL-15)

C - Ivan Rodriguez (DL-15), Carlos Maldonado, Jamie Burke, Derek Norris

2011 Fearless Prediction: 75-87, 4th place NL East

edit: updated to reflect recent roster moves (8/3/11)

Edited by JimRiceHOFer, 03 August 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#2 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,194 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

So what's the story on Ian Desmond? He's looked stupid tonight and has two errors, but Nomar likes him a lot.

#3 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

So what's the story on Ian Desmond? He's looked stupid tonight and has two errors, but Nomar likes him a lot.

There is no 'sample size' defense here. He led MLB with 34 errors last year and is regarded as part of the reason, albeit a small part, that Adam Dunn left town ("we need greater range at 1st").

High ceiling but erratic. That's who he is right now.

#4 loshjott

• 3,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Through 8 last night Halladay had a 2 hit shutout going, with 6 K's with the Phillies up 3-0. In the 9th, the Nats strung together an Ankiel double, a single by Laynce Nix, another single by Jayson Werth, then an infield single by Danny Espinosa. First and second, one out, two runs in for a 3-2 game. Manuel stuck with Doc, and he restored order by making Matt Stairs and Pudge look absolutely stupid with backward Ks. The rookie ump behind the plate had a huge strike zone all game.

#5 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

18-year-old Nats prospect dies of bacterial meningitis in DR

They don't say what kind he had but if it was Neisseria meningitidis, it comes on quickly and can kill you in a day. However, there has also been a vaccine available since 2005. I started college that year and was required to have the shot, as are most college-age kids because of how fast it can spread in dorms. Maybe it was a different type of infection, but if it wasn't, I fail to see why getting this shot isn't mandatory for all teenage Dominican prospects.

#6 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Coffey put on DL

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6375203

The Washington Nationals have placed right-handed reliever Todd Coffey on the 15-day disabled list with a left calf strain and recalled right-hander Collin Balester from Triple-A Syracuse.Coffey is 1-0 with a 6.23 ERA in five appearances this season. The move before Sunday's game against Milwaukee is retroactive to April 9.

Balester has pitched five scoreless innings in three appearances for Syracuse. Last season, he was 0-1 with a 2.57 ERA in 17 games for the Nationals.

#7 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

http://www.dontevenr...iew.php?post=47

(not baseball news)

#8 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Nats option Flores to Syracuse

http://washington.na...ok_was&c_id=was

After Thursday's 5-0 loss to the Cardinals, the Nationals optioned catcher Jesus Flores to Triple-A Syracuse. The Nationals have not made a corresponding move, however infielder Brian Bixler is expected to get the promotion.

#9 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Nats activate Coffey, option Balester

The Nationals activated right-handed reliever Todd Coffey from the 15-day DL on Sunday. He takes the roster spot of right-hander Collin Balester, who was optioned to Triple-A Syracuse on Saturday night after he pitched a scoreless inning of relief in a 7-2 loss to the Pirates.

#10 TheYaz67

• 3,703 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Massive blunder by the Nats yesterday in canceling their day game against the Bucs. Called it just before 10 am (1:30 start) due to "threat of thundertsorms", only no rain ever showed up, so you had the spectacle of people taking pictures outside the locked ballpark during what should have been mid-game, on a beautiful sunny day. Apparently failed (in usual Natinals fashion) to properly get the word out, so many people trekked down and then found out. And we don't get very many day games in this town (agreement with City b/c of traffic concerns around ballpark), so it sucks to loose the occasional one we get.

To make matters worse, it was a game that many local schools had arranged as a big field trip day - many of these were lower income kids who would be exposed to the game for the first time - so a huge opportunity for the Nats to possibly build the fan base. So they all now have worthless "rain checks" - to a game that will occur long after they have all left school for the summer.

Folks have pointed out this will now be rolled into a July 4th weekend double header, guaranteeing way higher revenues than a Tuesday day game in May - MLB should investigate that probably, if that was the true motive for preemptively calling a rain out of a game when it never rained at all. They also conveniently get to skip Zimmermann b/c of this (they need to limit his innings this year), and "get back" at the Pirates for screwing them in April over something similar - fans seem to have been the very last concern.

Just another example of the fairly awful owners/management continuing to sabotage their ability to build the brand and not anger the fans who actually pay to come to the games.... just a huge f-up. You have to TRY to play each game, right?

#11 TheYaz67

• 3,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Nats had another kick-ass draft yesterday - high impact bats and arm that should be able to come up and help soon....

In 2 years, this team could be pretty scary if healthy - right at the time the Phillies might be struggling to stay on top of the East due to age/payroll issues. Of course Atlanta also has lots of good young talent, can't forget about that, but still, the system is finally somewhat "restocked" with talent after having been raided while under league "management".

#12 Awesome Fossum

• 1,110 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Jayson Werth, lead-off hitter.

#13 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,588 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Bryce Harper has been called up to AA Harrisburg and is expected to be in the lineup tonight.

I'm going tonight of course and hope to get some photos.

#14 loshjott

• 3,857 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Anyone frequent a Nats forum that they would recommend? I googled a few but a recommendation would be great, thank you.

#15 BigPapiLumber Co.

• 633 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Anyone frequent a Nats forum that they would recommend? I googled a few but a recommendation would be great, thank you.

This one's the best I've found:

http://www.wnff.net/

#16 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Strasburg could make rehab start on Sunday

Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg is expected to throw a bullpen session on Friday, and if things go according to plan, he will start his rehab assignment on Sunday for Class A Hagerstown, according to manager Davey Johnson.

#17 JimRiceHOFer

• 610 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Nationals set to sign Harper's brother

Left-hander Bryan Harper, the 30th-round pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, agreed to terms with the Nationals on Monday, according to Harper on Twitter.

A baseball source said that Harper will fly to Florida on Thursday to take his physical and sign his first professional contract. This past season, Harper was a member of the University of South Carolina baseball team that won NCAA title. Harper pitched in 22 games and had a 5.40 ERA in 22 appearances. He struck out 18 batters and walked 17 in 18 1/3 innings.

Harper is the brother of outfielder Bryce Harper, Washington's top prospect.

#18 joe dokes

• 3,299 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Strasburg could make rehab start on Sunday

Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg is expected to throw a bullpen session on Friday, and if things go according to plan, he will start his rehab assignment on Sunday for Class A Hagerstown, according to manager Davey Johnson.

Rob Dibble is worried that he's falling behind in the "idiot of the year" balloting.
http://www.washingto...oT4tI_blog.html

#19 educatedcheese

• 777 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Four (of a couple hundred) shots of Strasmas in Hagerstown. 31 pitches, 25 strikes, and the Nats' radar gun had his fastball sitting at 96-97. Beyond that, it was just great to see him again.

Posted Image
IMG_3117 by SoloShotPhotography, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_2850 by SoloShotPhotography, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_3064 by SoloShotPhotography, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_2963 by SoloShotPhotography, on Flickr

#20 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,588 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

Great shots. I'm excited to see him pitch here in Harrisburg if/when they make the playoffs.

#21 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,588 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

No link I can find, but the Senators GM just told me Washington informed him this afternoon Strasburg is making his final rehab start in Harrisburg Thursday, against Portland incidentally. According to the plan, his next start post-Thursday will be in Washington.

#22 loshjott

• 3,857 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

No link I can find, but the Senators GM just told me Washington informed him this afternoon Strasburg is making his final rehab start in Harrisburg Thursday, against Portland incidentally. According to the plan, his next start post-Thursday will be in Washington.

Barring something unforeseen, his first start in Washington will be Sept. 6 against the Dodgers.

#23 loshjott

• 3,857 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

While following on my phone the unrelenting bad news from the Bronx and Orchard Park yesterday afternoon, I was enjoying the Nats home finale at Nationals Park. After yesterday's 3-0 win over the reeling Braves, the Nats stand at 78-80, with a not so shabby home record of 44-36. The Nats finished 10-8 against the Phillies, 9-9 against the Braves, and 10-8 against the Mets to secure 3rd place in the NL East. As usual, however, the last place Marlins have killed them, with the Nats going 5-10 against the fish. They end the season with three in Miami. If they should somehow sweep the series, the Nats will finish above .500 for the first time in their history, and with the best record for a DC club since the Senators went 86-76 in 1969.

It was a great atmosphere in the ballpark yesterday; after the game players came out and tossed souvenirs to the crowd. I caught a hat intelligently thrown by Alex Cora!

Optimism is running high for the 2012 Nationals.

Edited by loshjott, 26 September 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#24 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 13,042 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

It was a great atmosphere in the ballpark yesterday; after the game players came out and tossed souvenirs to the crowd. I caught a hat intelligently thrown by Alex Cora!

Optimism is running high for the 2012 Nationals.

The Coral Axe lives!!! I had a great time watching a mediocre team this year in the five or so games I got to, and I am already fired up for next year. Avec Les Expos!!! (Avec means something right?)