Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011-2012 Duke / UNC Hoops

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
429 replies to this topic

#401 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

The obvious solution for UNC to avoid letting this injury stop them from reaching the Final Four is to slow down the offense, and then make Barnes a point-forward. Run the entire offense through him, set more high screens for him and let him dump it into Henson and Zeller. Having only 4 days to install a new system isn't easy, but it is by no means impossible for a player like Barnes.

However, if history is any indication, Roy Williams doesn't change his system. He just pushes the next guy on the roster into the same spot and says "run!" When Larry Drew clearly couldn't run the fast paced offense Roy wanted, he just kept letting Drew turn the ball over and cripple the offense. Then he finally tried Marshall and found a PG who could play that way. I do believe UNC can still make the Final Four, they have an NBA front line. But there is no player more important to his team's success aside from Anthony Davis this year. It will be interesting to see if Roy has learned from past mistakes or if he can re-invent this team in time to stay alive.

#402 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6589 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Marshall's cast has been removed

"All I know is he got it off this morning. Swelling is down, incision looks good," Dennis Marshall said in a text to ESPN.com.

"What we're going to do is just practice every day, and if something weird happens that they say he can play, I'm probably going to let the guy play. But I just do not foresee that happening," Williams told the radio show.
There is still a chance the Cousy Award finalist, who had surgery Monday to insert a screw into his wrist, could play against 13th-seeded Ohio. But as of right now, Williams said, he has "no idea" what factors will indicate whether Marshall can play, because he's in uncharted territory.
"If he comes running in here now and says, 'God, I can play!' I'll say, 'Well, let's talk about it,' " Williams said Tuesday. "But he's in a frickin' cast. ... I cannot give you any answers. I've given everybody all the answers I can give, because I have said honestly, I do not know."
"You know what I've got?" Williams added. "I've got a bunch of kids that have handled adversity. ... And they've bounced back."

#403 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

FTR if Kendall can't play, Roy has said it's the Stilman White/Justin Watts show at the point.

#404 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6589 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Either way they should still be able to get by Ohio... the question is whether an extra 2 days makes any difference for the Elite 8. If they can somehow make the Final Four without Marshall, I would think the extra week would help tremendously.

#405 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6589 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Marshall "day to day"

#406 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Either way they should still be able to get by Ohio...

Everybody keeps saying this but I'm not so sure that's true. Ohio has great numbers forcing turnovers and their point guard played out of this world to lead them here. That's not exactly a great formula for success when you've got a freshman point guard and a backup point guard who is really a forward. I think it's going to be a very close game.

#407 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3267 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Everybody keeps saying this but I'm not so sure that's true. Ohio has great numbers forcing turnovers and their point guard played out of this world to lead them here. That's not exactly a great formula for success when you've got a freshman point guard and a backup point guard who is really a forward. I think it's going to be a very close game.

I think Ohio's perimeter defense is good enough to keep the game close, but ultimately I'm afraid UNC's length and athleticism inside is going to be too much for Ohio to overcome. That said, as an Ohio grad, I'm quite content that the general perception seems to be that UNC should be able to get through OU easily. I agree that UNC should be able to get by Ohio, but I don't think we'll back down and I think our defense will generate turnovers. We played Louisville very tough on the road early in the year (we should have won), and while I think UNC is a much better team than Louisville, I don't think people would be writing Louisville off vs. UNC without Kendall Marshall right now. But the more UNC looks ahead, the better off Ohio is tonight, so I'm fine with it.

#408 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15717 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Duke freshman Austin Rivers will sign with an agent and head to the NBA, sources told http://CBSSports.com

https://twitter.com/#!/GoodmanCBS/status/183208365554544641
link to tweet
link to tweet

#409 StuckOnYouk

• 1937 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Who's coaching Duke, Calipari or Coach K? Pumping in the one-and-done's.

Can't be Calipari because he'd never lose to a 15 seed in the first round.Heyyyoooooooooo

#410 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

That's pretty stunning. Kid's got game but I really think he would have benefitted from another year.

#411 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15717 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Who's coaching Duke, Calipari or Coach K? Pumping in the one-and-done's.

Can't be Calipari because he'd never lose to a 15 seed in the first round.Heyyyoooooooooo

If it was Calipari, the loss would be vacated in due time.

#412 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6589 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

If Mason Plumlee leaves too, they're gonna really suck. Rumors also flying around about Seth Curry leaving for Europe.

Hello, Thursday games of the ACC tournament.

#413 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11713 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

The great thing about Stilman White is that every student crowd cutaway shot at a UNC game since 1979 has included a guy who looks just like him wearing a V-neck Carolina blue sweater.

#414 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

You can call me crazy but I wanted Kansas. I didn't want a motivated NC State team. Kansas I think we can beat.

#415 Saturnian

• 480 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I agree - the ACC tournament game against NC State was a coin flip. They would have relished an opportunity to wipe out the 0-3 season series (by 19, 12, and then 2 points) with a trip to the Final Four on the line. Kansas will obviously be motivated as well, and will be tough to beat, but I was rooting for them last night.

#416 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Keep in mind Henson didn't play in the ACC semifinals and Leslie had a lot of extra room to do damage. With Henson back, that advantage for NC State disappears. Robinson will have trouble with their size, and Whitney shouldn't be a factor on offense. For Kansas to win, Taylor probably has to have a big day and get into the paint to create easy Pts.

As for Duke, they're looking into adding Oriakhi and Trey Zeigler, both of whom would likely be eligible next season. Also, Amile Jefferson, Tony Parker, and Shabazz are all taking a closer look at Duke has Coach K has hit the road this week to see all of them. Duke could be in a lot of trouble, or could be loaded. Probably will be a couple weeks before we know which.

#417 crystalline

• 2090 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Marshall had a look of disgust and longing on his face on the bench. If there is a way for the guy to come back I think he does; if they get past Kansas he has another week to heal.
But a broken scaphoid is bad business - failure to set correctly could cause long term arthritis and really devastating consequences. I had a similar injury a few years ago which turned out to be a small radius fracture, but the ortho was paranoid about a scaphoid fx because of the consequences of failure to knit properly.
They put a screw in, which I was told means you can start using it normally right away. I wonder when they'll clear him to play, and what the standards are. Any doctors in the house?

Also Stilman White was an albatross around their neck last night. He was an offensive black hole; the defense sagged off him because he was no threat to shoot. All I saw from him was two dribbles, look around, easy pass outside the arc to a closely-defended teammate. They might as well have gone 4 on 5 on offense. I understand he had two points on FTs at the end of OT - I didn't get to see the last minute.

UNC rolled for the first quarter and then Ohio started playing tight D and shut down their offense. And Carolina played poor D - Ohio got too many open three point looks.

Kansas will be interesting

#418 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I didn't think Stilman played bad at all actually. He had 6 assists and 0 turnovers, which is something when the team had 24, and until lately, it's not like Kendall was scoring a lot of points. Stilman was the least of our problems and badly outplayed Watts, who is a senior and has been in big games before.

#419 Zereck

• 26 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm going to pile on in the White was horrible camp. His turnover ratio may not have been bad but it was because he barely did anything with the ball. He took forever to get the team into offensive sets and looked like he wanted no part of having the ball in his hands after he made his initial pass. Watts was just as bad due to the turnovers, part of me thinks Roy should just go all in and try and have Barnes or Bullock carry it up for crucial parts of the game and put McAdoo in and go big against a team. The flow of the offense can't get much worse than it was last night, as any time they weren't on the fast break they all seemed to be on different pages. At least put guys who can produce in there.

#420 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

After watching these last 2 games without Marshall, it's clear Barnes is just not an elite offensive player and needs a good PG to put him in a position to take good shots. I also think McAdoo is UNC's best pro prospect right now, and would be a top-10 pick if he turns pro. Could be a tough couple weeks for UNC if Henson, Barnes and McAdoo all leave, and Marshall decides there is no reason to come back since he'll have a whole new team to play with basically.

#421 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I just looked at a couple mock drafts and threw up. First it was seeing how high Jeremy Lamb was rated (ahead of Rivers) and how high Mason Plumlee was rated (ahead of Ezeli). But more importantly, seeing McAdoo and Marshall both on there. If they leave (in addition to graduating Zeller and obviously Barnes and Henson leaving), that's way too much pressure for Paige and the bunch.

Did see Zeller and Marshall on some Celtics mocks.

#422 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Only hope is that they are mad they lost b/c Kendall didn't get to play and they all come back. Kendall I'm almost sure is going to come back. I don't think HB's value has ever been lower and Henson could use a year as the "man" like Z got this year. McAdoo I have no idea - he could get the Brandan Wright/Marvin Williams hype after the ACC tourney/NCAA tourney and bolt.

#423 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8223 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Chad ford was just tweeting that some scouts may move McAdoo and another above Barnes and PJ3 on potential. Thinks clear red flags with Barnes/PJ3.

#424 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

McAdoo has the unique ability to defend way out for a guy his size - how many steals and breakaway dunks did he have the last month? Seemed like a ton. When he got things figured out, it was like right now.

#425 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Only hope is that they are mad they lost b/c Kendall didn't get to play and they all come back. Kendall I'm almost sure is going to come back. I don't think HB's value has ever been lower and Henson could use a year as the "man" like Z got this year. McAdoo I have no idea - he could get the Brandan Wright/Marvin Williams hype after the ACC tourney/NCAA tourney and bolt.

Hope you're right

Posted Image

#426 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

UNC also in on the Alex Oriakhi "sweepstakes" as is Duke.

#427 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 12665 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

latest buzz from Inside Carolina is that HB, Henson and Marshall are all gone

#428 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6589 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

This year's thread kicked off with the official announcement of Kyrie's departure, so perhaps next year's thread can lead off with that announcement, if and when it happens

#429 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

They may be right, but as of today I've been told that Marshall is recruiting Oriakhi to UNC. It's possible Marshall wants another big guy and if he doesn't get him, Marshall leaves too. Or he may just be planning to return and wants help. But I doubt he'd be in Oriakhi's ear if he wasn't still thinking about returning. McAdoo has the toughest decision to make. He could be top 10 if he goes, but if he returns he could be looking top 3 next year. No one seems to know for sure, but as of now it looks like he's staying at UNC.

For Duke, they appear to be in good shape for Zeigler, so that's a start. Tony Parker's parents are pushing him for Duke, he liked UCLA but his mom wants him closer to home. And he loved Kansas, but Danny Manning was the guy recruiting him and now apparently is headed to Tulsa, so Duke may grab him late. Shabazz said today his top 3 are UCLA, Kentucky, and Duke. Bad news for UNLV, I was sure they'd have him locked up by now.

#430 minischwab

• 481 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Henson, Barnes and Marshall all entering draft. McAdoo's dad says he is leaning toward staying.

(null)