Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011-2012 Duke / UNC Hoops

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
429 replies to this topic

#1 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

I'll kick it off with bad news for Duke fans: Kyrie gone

#2 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Henson and Zeller are staying. Barnes is still on the fence. UNC will go into 2011-12 as prohibitive favorites I would think

#3 minischwab

• 500 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Irving let is slip at his press conference today, DeAndre Daniels will be a Dukie. He's expected to announce it after next week's banquet. So Duke's class added a top-10 recruit, he could step in and start for Singler next season.

Mason Plumlee leaning towards leaving. He's being told he'll be a lottery pick (why, i don't know). He also wants to open up more minutes for his brothers to play, according to a Chad Ford source (which carries little credibility with me personally).

Barnes has made it clear privately he plans to return. He is waiting for a chance to get the spotlight all to himself, didn't want to announce the same day as Henson/Zeller or Irving. God that kid has an ego, but what an amazing young talent.

#4 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

What a fucking tease.

RealKyrieIrving Kyrie Irving
just because i declared doesnt mean i cannot go back to duke...lol some people forget that...i haven't though
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

#5 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Did he not sign with an agent yet?

#6 minischwab

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Did he not sign with an agent yet?

His tweet was in response to other people taking some shots at him. He doesn't mean he might return next season, he means he's allowed to come back to campus to work out, hang out with friends, etc. Some fans have been very nasty, telling him he doesn't belong at Duke anymore simply because he declared for the draft.

I have never understood why some fans take it so personally when a player leaves early. It's not because Irving doesn't love Duke, it's not because he doesn't want to be there anymore. As a Duke fan I'm sad to see him go but thrilled he'll be a top 3 pick and successful NBA player, representing Duke well and making it easier for K to recruit elite guards in the future.

#7 Dan Murfman

• 2,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:55 PM
To: Brand, Elton
Subject: Leaving Duke

I graduated from Duke last May and just wanted to express my disgust for your decision to leave the Duke program after only two years. As an alum, not only do I hold the school in high regard, but the basketball program as well, especially since both have deservedly garnered such a great deal of respect for their accomplishments.

As part of our basketball program, you represent Duke as a whole. We are first and foremost an academic school, you clearly did not belong at Duke in the first place if this was the extent of your commitment to Duke and a college education in general. You have not only insulted the current students who are putting in four years at a school they love, but also the thousands of alumni who have realized the value of a Duke education and what an honor and privilege it was to be there for four years.

If you do not realize the opportunity you has infront of you to play for Coach K and at the same time attain a Duke diploma, then that is certainly your loss. I just wish that you has spared us the notion that you were continuing in the tradition of being a Duke student-athlete, in emphasizing excellence in both academics and athletics. You will not be considered part of the Duke family, in my mind as well as many others. You have by no means proved yourself worthy of that title.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Taylor

#8 minischwab

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

Sent: Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:05 PM
To: Taylor, Jennifer
Subject: Re: Leaving Duke

Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke. People like you can not and will not ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yeah, right. Because I don't care about you or your alumni.

Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA

#9 CJChap

• 876 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Harrison Barnes returning... Yikes.
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6381288

#10 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

I like this move by Barnes. The NBA will be locking out at some point and he could still use some development. He could very well be the #1 pick in 2012 after next year. UNC is going to be LOADED.

#11 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,188 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Can we start the season today?

#12 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

Oh, good Lord. Now if he can just spend the off-season doing nothing but dribbling.

#13 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

Henson and Zeller are staying. Barnes is still on the fence. UNC will go into 2011-12 as prohibitive favorites I would think

Just my pet peeve. But, I hate the way "prohibitive favorite" is thrown around. UNC definitely looks like a favorite, but "prohibitive favorite" means that the odds are so high that you have to take them off the board.

I heard it going into the baseball season that the Sox were a "prohibitive favorite." It is just stupid.

People seems to jsut throw out adjetives without any concern about what they actually mean.

#14 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Well, UNC will have 8 McD's AA's on their roster to start the season. And could have had 11 if Drew and the twins were there...lol. C'mon, that's not a prohibitive favorite, especially after the way they finished last year? And I wasn't aware that this board was for grammar lessons, much appreciated.

Last team I can remember with 8 McD's AAs on one roster was Duke 99 (hee hee)
edit: Carolina had 8 the year they won with Roy (2008?). Love that Williams can somehow convicne three guys who would have been lottery picks in a terible draft to come back and yet somehow recruits four McD's guys to join them. LOL. now if he could just coach defense, they'd never lose!

Some perspective on that 8#...In 25 years, Calhoun has had 9 McD's AAs total at Uconn (yes I know McD is not a great proxy for overall talent, since 1979 every national championship team but one - Maryland in 2002 - has had a McD AA and the winning teams ahve averaged three per team.)

Edited by Clears Cleaver, 18 April 2011 - 04:02 PM.

#15 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,188 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

If Kentucky gets all their guys to come back like UNC has, they should be #1 IMO. They beat UNC on the square in Newark.

#16 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

Well, UNC will have 8 McD's AA's on their roster to start the season. And could have had 11 if Drew and the twins were there...lol. C'mon, that's not a prohibitive favorite, especially after the way they finished last year? And I wasn't aware that this board was for grammar lessons, much appreciated.

Last team I can remember with 8 McD's AAs on one roster was Duke 99 (hee hee)

Some perspective on that 8 #...In 25 years, Calhoun has had 9 McD's AAs

It is not a grammar lesson, it is simply knowing what the word "prohibitive" means. I took two seconds to check the odds. UNC is +500 win the 2012 National Championship (same as Kentucky). Clearly, they are favorites to win (I like them more than UK), but using the word prohibitive is stupid.

(For comparison, on the site I checked the Sox are +450 to win the World Series).

#17 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,357 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

Just my pet peeve. But, I hate the way "prohibitive favorite" is thrown around. UNC definitely looks like a favorite, but "prohibitive favorite" means that the odds are so high that you have to take them off the board.

It's still used incorrectly by the media, but that's not what it means either--you see it used all the time in strict gambling contexts where the favorite is still on the board (e.g. last week the NYTimes had this: "The colt was the undefeated 2-year-old champion and the prohibitive 1-to-10 favorite in Saturday’s Wood Memorial" at http://www.nytimes.c...c=me&ref=sports ).

It means the odds of victory are so high for the favorite that other potential entrants are discouraged from competing. Secretariat at the Belmont--where only 4 other horses bothered to enter--is a classic example, and he was still on the board at 1-10.

American Heritage offers: "Prohibitive...3. So likely to win as to discourage competition: the prohibitive favorite to win the nomination."

#18 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Four preseason All-ACC 1st Team selections. Nuts.

#19 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

It is not a grammar lesson, it is simply knowing what the word "prohibitive" means. I took two seconds to check the odds. UNC is +500 win the 2012 National Championship (same as Kentucky). Clearly, they are favorites to win (I like them more than UK), but using the word prohibitive is stupid.

(For comparison, on the site I checked the Sox are +450 to win the World Series).

thanks! That was prohibitively the best post in this thread. Shut it down!
Four preseason first teamers? They must be prohibitive favorites to win the conference! (seriously, that is ridiculous. and probably multipel players on all-ACC frosh team. sick)

While I'll never root for UNC or KY, it is good that there will actually be a couple good teams in college hoops (with Ohio state possibly being good and maybe a couple others). no offesne to Duke in 2010 and Uconn this year, but neitehr was an elite team

#20 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

thanks! That was prohibitively the best post in this thread. Shut it down!
Four preseason first teamers? They must be prohibitive favorites to win the conference! (seriously, that is ridiculous. and probably multipel players on all-ACC frosh team. sick)

While I'll never root for UNC or KY, it is good that there will actually be a couple good teams in college hoops (with Ohio state possibly being good and maybe a couple others). no offesne to Duke in 2010 and Uconn this year, but neitehr was an elite team

I can assume that Kemba Walker has read exactly 1 more book in his life than you have.

#21 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

I'm reminded of Larry Bird's comment in the locker room before the first NBA three-point contest: "Which one of you motherfuckers is going to finish second?"

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

Duke must be feeling the pressure coming from Chapel Hill, so they convinced Alex Murphy into enrolling a year early. He will be in a Duke uniform in 2011-2012 instead of '12-'13.

#23 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

PG: Cook, Thornton
G: Rivers, Dawkins
G: Curry, Dawkins
F: Kelly, Murphy, Gbinge, Hairston
F: Ma Plumlee, Mi Plumlee, Mr Plumlee

A ton of fouls to give up front, but team lacks a true PG (yet to be proven what Cook can do) and any semblance of scoring in the post. How many three's will this team jack?

#24 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

How many three's will this team jack?

Enough to win 30 games then lose in the sweet 16.

:c070:

#25 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,257 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Duke must be feeling the pressure coming from Chapel Hill, so they convinced Alex Murphy into enrolling a year early. He will be in a Duke uniform in 2011-2012 instead of '12-'13.

Duke students had better lock their cars. A Murphy is coming to town.

#26 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:02 PM

I think this is a weird move by Alex Murphy. James Mcadoo had the opportunity to do this last year and I remember hoping this wasn't going to start being a trend. So many of these big guys are just not ready for real NCAA action as Freshmen. How is someone who is really a high school Senior going to be able to do much of anything? And it's not like he's a super star prospect that won't be staying long. I don't know, I think it's weird.

#27 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:53 PM

I think this is a weird move by Alex Murphy.

It's the opposite.

Either he can play against terrible HS competition and not advance as a player...

...or he can go to a top college program, get top coaching/training/competition, and not waste a year of his life.

He's trading a year of waste in high school for what, basically a year of college? or something? Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

#28 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

It's the opposite.

Either he can play against terrible HS competition and not advance as a player...

...or he can go to a top college program, get top coaching/training/competition, and not waste a year of his life.

He's trading a year of waste in high school for what, basically a year of college? or something? Makes perfect sense from his perspective.

Well, he wouldn't be facing terrible HS competition since the New England prep school league is some of the best HS basketball in the country. Also, even though he was a junior at St. Mark's it was his 4th year of high school because he repeated his freshman year at St. Mark's. So, he's as old as a traditional HS senior.

If he stayed at St. Mark's, it wouldn't have been a bad decision since he could continue to develop in the weight room and work on other parts of his game besides shooting. He's a good prospect, but not one that is going to have a huge impact his freshman year.

#29 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

He repeated his freshmen year and is graduating early? Weird.

#30 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,188 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Kentucky still has an excellent class coming in but w/Knight, Liggins, and Jones all declaring for the draft today (although they didn't hire agents), I think UNC's stock goes up a bit.

#31 minischwab

• 500 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Well, he wouldn't be facing terrible HS competition since the New England prep school league is some of the best HS basketball in the country. Also, even though he was a junior at St. Mark's it was his 4th year of high school because he repeated his freshman year at St. Mark's. So, he's as old as a traditional HS senior.

If he stayed at St. Mark's, it wouldn't have been a bad decision since he could continue to develop in the weight room and work on other parts of his game besides shooting. He's a good prospect, but not one that is going to have a huge impact his freshman year.

St. Mark's plays in the ISL. Aside from Dan Gadzuric and Mike Jones (the one who went to Maryland), I can't remember too many quality D-I players coming out of Mass prep ball. It's really not going to help is development. He may redshirt his freshman year, giving him a chance to practice with good players and get bigger and stronger by getting on a college training program.

DeAndre Daniels' visit to Duke went well last week, according to former Duke player Andy Borman, his HS coach. Daniels will be at Duke next year and will get time at the 3/4, putting Murphy in a position where it makes more sense to redshirt.

#32 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

St. Mark's plays in the ISL. Aside from Dan Gadzuric and Mike Jones (the one who went to Maryland), I can't remember too many quality D-I players coming out of Mass prep ball. It's really not going to help is development. He may redshirt his freshman year, giving him a chance to practice with good players and get bigger and stronger by getting on a college training program.

DeAndre Daniels' visit to Duke went well last week, according to former Duke player Andy Borman, his HS coach. Daniels will be at Duke next year and will get time at the 3/4, putting Murphy in a position where it makes more sense to redshirt.

Mass prep schools produce high Division I players every year.(Unless you means players from MA or New England) His teammates Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the highest rated prospects at his position in the country and Nikolas Stauskas has signed with Michigan. Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg is sending players to Pitt, Marquette, and UNLV. Other MA prep schools are sending kids to BC, Kansas, Notre Dame, UConn, Louisville, and Seton Hall.

I don't disagree that he would benefit by redshirting at Duke. In fact, that might be the best thing for his development. But, staying at St. Mark's wouldn't hinder him either.

#33 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

Leslie McDonald tore his ACL in a pro-am game in Memphis, not good.

#34 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15,283 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

He hurt it in Durham but, no it's not good. He is out for the season.

P.J. Hairston will need to step in and be as advertised (which, for shooters at UNC, has been a problem in recent past) and Bullock needs to get healthy by ACC season. If one or both of those things happen they should still be the number one team in the country. If neither happens, they will still be a top-five team.

#35 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

They will be ok. The 09 team won with only seven players, with the reserve guard being Bobby Frasor. Not taking away anything from Bobby, but Hairston and Bullock are 2x the talent he was by his Senior year.

#36 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

This is pretty freaking cool

2011 Carrier Classic

Edited by tims4wins, 22 July 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#37 Saturnian

• 483 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Coack K guilty of a recruiting violation? You bite your tongue!

Recruit Alex Poythress with a little diarrhea of the mouth, telling CBSSports.com that Coach K offered him a scholarship before the end of the AAU tournament he was playing in. This is apparently a violation, as coaches can't contact players until a tournament is over.

#38 Izzy Alcantara

• 302 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

St. Marks is a NEPSAC class AA school and plays some of the top-flight prep schools in New England. Last year they had Roy Williams, Coach K, Bill Self, Jamie Dixon, and more in their gym in Southboro at the same time scouting Murphy and the 7 footer. They sent kids to Georgetown (Nate Lubick), Florida (Erik Murphy), and Iowa (Melsahn Basabe) the year before. Basabe is probably going to be the best of the group, kid had a great freshman year in the Big Ten last year.

New England Prep School basketball flies INCREDIBLY way, way under the radar in MA for sports coverage. Let's face it- Boston is a pro sports town and Hockey is the thing for college athletics- but as Red said, some of the best HS basketball in the country is played in the NEPSAC- and that's widely known to be true. If you're a serious HS/College basketball fan you can see some of the best future talent in the game in pretty much a 1-2 hour drive around Boston.

MA Prep schools have produced a huge number of quality D1 players over the years. Not sure what your criteria is but if you're just looking for "name guys" that were stars in college and play in the NBA, here's a list of some of the players that would fit that:

Jarret Jack-Georgia Tech-Worcester Academy
Craig Smith- BC- Worcester Academy
Michael Beasley- K State- Notre Dame Prep
Antoine Wright- Texas A&M- Lawrence Academy
Ryan Gomes- Providence- Notre Dame Prep

Notre Dame Prep, Worcester Academy, Northfield Mount Hermon, Lawrence Academy, St. Marks, and Winchendon School all regularly produce multiple D1 players. If you add in the NH schools like Brewster Academy and New Hampton- the list gets even larger. If you add in Maine, Rhode Island (St. Andrews), and CT (South Kent) it gets grows even bigger.

Notre Dame Prep this year had a McDonald's All-American headed to Pitt next year; and also have Ricardo Ledo who is one of the top players in the class of 2012 and is being recruited by every major school. Another kid is going to Marquette next year. Another to Louisville, and a bunch of others are getting D! scholarships.

Shit, Wilbraham & Monson (Braden Anderson and Enosch Wolf) has two kids attending Kansas and UConn this year. So anyways, yeah MA prep school hoops and NE HS Hoops is stronger than its probably ever been.

This would be a good site to check out:

Top Players in New England and where they are going:

http://www.newenglan...new_england.php

Program Profiles:
http://www.newenglan...t.com/profiles/

Edited by Izzy Alcantara, 30 July 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#39 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

3 of Duke's summer trip to China are being televised - the first was this morning at 8am ET. I have it on DVR and will be watching later.

Next 2 games are:

August 22nd at 8:00am -10am
August 25th at 1:30pm-3:30pm

Both on ESPNU and ESPN3

Edit: thoughts on Duke

- Kelly looked to be in better shape (they kept commenting how he lost 10 pounds and reshaped his body), and he had a great shooting game, 9-11, with 20 points. He was knocking shots down from all over. Also looked decent on the boards (8).
- Miles Plumlee was ok, Mason sucked. Same old same old from these guys. The international rules / refs may have had some impact, but it's hard to make excuses for these guys at this point. They both need to step up.
- Curry is going to lead the team in scoring, if for no other reason than he'll knock down at least 3 or 4 3's a game.
- Dawkins looked to be more aggressive, but I still have my doubts on him being anything more than a role player / 3 point specialist.
- Rivers can definitely get to the hoop, but his finishing wasn't superb. He also has a really ugly outside stroke, made some careless decisions with the ball, and didn't always hustle back on D (he got yanked from the game once or twice). I would think K and the staff will definitely lay into him for this stuff.
- Tyler Thornton was same old - lots of hustle, played hard on D, doesn't do much on offense.
- Didn't see much of Alex Murphy, Hairston, or Marshall Plumlee.

Edited by tims4wins, 18 August 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#40 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Who is going to run the point for Duke?

#41 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Who is going to run the point for Duke?

Looks like Curry, with Rivers also doing some of the honors

#42 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have never seen Seth Curry do anything but come off screens and shoot three's. Is he really going to play point?

How has Cook looked?

#43 deythur

• 276 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have never seen Seth Curry do anything but come off screens and shoot three's. Is he really going to play point?

How has Cook looked?

Curry has played well in the 2 games i have watched. Hes got a good handle and can get the ball up the court. J Kidd he is not but thats ok.

Cook is out with some sort of knee injury. I havnt taken the time to do research on it yet.

#44 minischwab

• 500 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

Cook is out with some sort of knee injury. I havnt taken the time to do research on it yet.

Cook tore up his knee pretty bad twice in the last 2 years and it continues to bother him. Duke medical staff has said they would have had him sit out last year if it was up to them. The team is still considering red shirting him this season, but hope he could be back in playing shape by the start of October.

#45 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

So Duke will have Curry be equivalent to a poor man's Scheyer to play point?

If Cook's knee is that bad, I wouldn't be surprised to see K do this to at least start the season.

PG: Thornton
G: Curry
G: Rivers
F: Kelly
F: Ma. Plumlee

Have Dawkins/Plumlees come off the bench.

#46 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

Carolina picks up Center Joel James from Florida. Top 60 recruit. Good to have a Zeller replacement for down the road.

#47 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Anyone else catch UNC's scrimmage on Friday?

Barnes looked even better than the end of last year. Strong moves to the basket for good finishes.

Henson showed off some range- 15 foot jumpers..

Strickland's jumper looked better..

Looking forward to the opener on Nov 11

#48 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

at 1:25, that's a 6'10" guy jumping over a 6'11" guy.

#49 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,394 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

gotta love a dunk competition where a white guy hits a jump shot first

read somewhere that Miles Plumlee has been far and away the best player this summer/fall for the Devils. I'm not sure what to think about that

#50 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,360 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

gotta love a dunk competition where a white guy hits a jump shot first

read somewhere that Miles Plumlee has been far and away the best player this summer/fall for the Devils. I'm not sure what to think about that

Haha, yeah I thought that was pretty funny...not sure I'd seen that before.

Maybe more of a most improved? I think Rivers and Curry will be the best players on the floor.