Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011 Fishing Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3416 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Spent some time ice fishing in Wyoming over the last few weeks. Caught some fish, took in the scenery, howled with wolves when the sun went down.

Posted Image Green River Lakes, Square Top Mountain.
Posted Image A little Rainbow.

Posted Image An 8 pound Laker.
Posted Image 6 pound brown.

#2 Mr Weebles

• swabbie bastard

• 15603 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yukon Cornelius???

You were awesome in Rudolph.

#3 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5646 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

I've been out fishing here and there and have had a few good days. Fished the Stillwater for about 90 minutes on Weds late afternoon and caught one 16" RBT. Kept it for an old cowboy who was camped at the fishing access. He was grizzled as hell and was living in some sort of teepee.

Fished Upper Rock Creek 2 Saturdays ago and tore it up. 3 Cutts, 3 Cuttbows, 7 Browns and a few Whitefish in about 4 hours of fishing. Plus another half dozen or so that got off. Upper Rock Creek is COLD and only the better fish were eating. All fish were in the 12-16" range.

This article and picture should be about me. I had a big fish on a few years ago in this same stretch of river and it took every bit of my line across the river and sat. I ended out breaking it off.

Hmmm, wonder where I'll be going this weekend?
Big RBT Article

Posted Image

#4 teddywingman

• 3416 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

Now that's a big fish.

I haven't been out with the fly rod as there's still snow all over the place. Going back out on the ice today. It's been a fun winter.

Posted Image A couple rainbows. Perfect for filets.

Posted Image This thing went back in the hole. ~10 to 12 pounder.

Posted Image Another one gets pardoned. ~8 lbs.

Posted Image Decent scenery.

Posted Image Bear tracks. Hard to tell if it was a griz, but definitely a big bear.

#5 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I love how the labs are on alert, like they're about to go track down that bear!

Great pics guys!

#6 cutman1000

• 2925 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

I wish y'all could have seen this big trout I saw in New Zealand last week. I was hunting for red stag so didn't have a fishing rod with me, but next year I won't make that mistake again. The fish was just chilling out at the top of a deep pool at sunset. He was so big that I was tempted to shoot him.

#7 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5646 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon

#8 travis bickled

• Pip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

I went fly fishing the other day in the Delaware river here in upstate New York...Did so after instructions and aid of a guide...No fish, but that wasn't my priamry reason for going. Something I should've done years ago.

Edited by travis bickled, 29 April 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#9 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5646 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Ended out floating the Missouri last weekend and caught one nice RBT. My buddy caught a couple of Browns using a spin rod. Spent the week in Oregon so no fishing during the week.

Tomorrow I'm headed down to the Big Hole to float Melrose to Brown's Bridge. Nice stretch and they've been doing well using Skwalas though there are no Skwalas on the Big Hole. Attractive I guess.

Taking some customers out on Wednesday afternoon and then heading down to Old Faithful Inn next weekend for our anniversary. YNP's not open for fishing until the last weekend of May. Too bad as I am sure the Firehole is on right now even with the cold and snow. We had 6" of the white stuff last night.

Coming back east for a couple days of family visits in NH on the 14th and then heading up to the Rangeley area with my brother Tues-Sat. Can't f'n wait!

If you'd like an idea how good the dry fly fishing in Montana can be take a look at this video. This is pay fishing, I know the guide and hope to get out there for free this summer. Dry fly fishing of this type can be found at no charge by those that know how, when and where to look.

]

#10 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5646 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Been fishing every chance possible which lately has amounted to twice a week. Heading up to Rangeley the week after this to fish with my brother.

Here's a nice RBT in spring spawning colors caught on an Halloween Reubie Bugger which is still in his lip.
Posted Image

#11 cutman1000

• 2925 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

I think we should form a SoSH team to fish in the Redneck fishing tournament. Fast forward to about 3:30 if you don't want to watch the whole video:

http://espn.go.com/v...clip?id=5796372

#12 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14062 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Heading out to get my license for the year. Gonna catch me a bass today somewhere in Minnesota.

#13 TimNJsoxfan

• 2217 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Leaving tomorrow for 4 days in south Ontario fishing for Pike and bass!

Caught this guy a few years ago up there..
Posted Image
Hope to duplicate it this weekend!

#14 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7415 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Been awhile since I contributed here. I haven't fished in CT yet this year, but did do a short trip to FL. Day one, we fished for redfish and sea trout in Mosquito Lagoon, just north of Cape Canaveral. Had the luck of catching a storms throwing up 25 mph winds, which hindered the fishing a bit. Guides took did more sea trouting than redfishing, which was somewhat a disappointment. But a good first day, as the trout were plentiful

Early in trip, got lucky with this redfish above slot limit

Posted Image

My buddy with a nice trout

Posted Image

Couldn't resist taking a pic of my buddy's catch of this guy, his first of the day

Posted Image

A sea trout for me

Posted Image

Of our group of 4, we did catch about 12 keepers and cooked them for dinner that night - fresh sea trout makes for a fine, fine meal.

Day 2 - tarpon fishing along the shore on south end of Tampa Bay, just out of Anna Maria Island. We had a great day - hooked 12, got 3 to the boat, and I finally succeeded in getting one in. One guy hooked about 6, but just got one to the leader, and no pic. I liken the fight on these guys to hauling in a fridge off the bottom. We used medium/heavy weight spinning rods, and did not use a fighting belt due to peer pressure. I still have welts around my upper leg from anchoring the rod.

Shot of about a 150 lb.er near the boat

Posted Image

Success! A small one (est. about 100 lbs.), but got it to the captain. Half hour fight, he kept catching a breath and going back out, and it was a hot day out there. The look on my face shows the exhaustion, I was grinning ear to ear on the inside.

Posted Image

I'll try to get better images of the tarpon pics later

#15 teddywingman

• 3416 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

My buddy caught this nice brown a couple weeks ago on the Upper Green (with my assistance). Hooked it on a muddler. After such a long fight, there was no returning him to the river, so he met with some onions and lemons for dinner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Frito Tankona

• 227 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

I'm in the process of buying a second hand boat to use on Cayuga Lake in Ithaca for the academic year (well, the part of the year not covered in snow and/or obscenely cold outside). The owner of the one I ended up deciding to buy took me out striper fishing (and test driving the boat) on Sunday off of the NH seacoast. In two hours I caught two nice fish. The one in the picture will be multiple dinners and was 21 pounds and about 36 inches long. Can't wait to get out there again.

Edit: caught on a live mackerel in about 7 feet of water.

Posted Image

Edited by Frito Tankona, 25 July 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#17 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5135 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

Now that's a big fish.

I haven't been out with the fly rod as there's still snow all over the place. Going back out on the ice today. It's been a fun winter.

Bear tracks. Hard to tell if it was a griz, but definitely a big bear.

That looks like a blast. I've always wanted to go ice fishing.

#18 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

My buddy caught this nice brown a couple weeks ago on the Upper Green (with my assistance). Hooked it on a muddler. After such a long fight, there was no returning him to the river, so he met with some onions and lemons for dinner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

That ready-for-the-fire fish brings back some memories. When I lived up in the White Mountains of AZ, we'd do them with wild rice, tomatoes, and mayo with a touch of fresh-roasted garlic mixed in.

Also, I release most of them too, but when keeping one or two for dinner, it's always interesting to see what's in their stomachs when you clean them. It's the best way to figure out the pattern for the next day.

#20 graffam198

• pink hat

• 822 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

No pics b/c it was only my second day on the river this year and boy am I rusty. We had a huge winter and the river is just now clearing up and slowing down enough to fish it (not a lot of bank fishing for fly fishermen). I did pretty well, landed 3 fish in the 8-16" range, all rainbows. Caught a little guy, no more than 5 inches, didn't even know he was on the fly. As the sun was setting, I cast my line and the instant it hit the water, the largest fish I have ever seen hit it. I still had slack and was in no way able to set the hook. Big old brown. Still kicking myself over that one. Going to the same spot this weekend and will report back w/good results and some photos.