Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

DLNA, Roku, Boxee, media servers oh my.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 sachilles

• Rudy-in-training

• 630 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

So I currently have one active PC in the house(windows 7 and should be DLNA compliant). It connects to the internet via a wired connection to a dsl modem that has integrated wifi.
I have a HDTV with a set top box issued by the cable company. The DSL modem is in close proximity to the HDTV.
I have another HDTV with a set top box/dvr located in another part of the house and it is not near a wired ethernet, but could be in range of the wireless.
We have a third hdtv in the kitchen (20"). It receives a signal over the air from a rinky dink transmitter connected to the non dvr set top box. It allows us to watch whatever is on that cable box. Quality is poor. However, it's rarely used, basically it's used for breakfast news.
My wife and I both have android phones that are DLNA compliant.

In my spares I have two older PC's that still function, one with win xp(and dvi and vga outs) and one with windows 2000(vga only).

If I use the Win 7 PC as a media server, what are my options for playing media at the various TV's
? The TV with the non dvr cable box is currently in an armoire that is big enough to house a full size PC(and still be hidden);it can also connect to the dsl modem via cat5. The tv with the dvr box, doesn't have any real good place to hide a PC, but has room for something the size of a stereo component; it also doesn't have access to a wired internet connection. The TV in the kitchen doesn't have room for a PC, nor a wired internet connection. However it does have room for something the size of a stereo component.

I get the impression that things haven't really standardized, but that maybe DLNA is trying to do that. I care more to play internet content rather than content I own already. Ideally I'd prefer to do both. It seems there are a million set top boxes and blu-ray players with integrated internet. I'm thinking for internet content, netflix, hulu and youtube would be the most used.

#2 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,157 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Do you have a gaming console? Xbox 360 plays very nice with Windows Media Center and can stream directly from Netflix.

#3 sachilles

• Rudy-in-training

• 630 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

My most current game system is a PS2.
While I'd consider a ps3, I don't have the opportunity to game that much, so I'm thinking money might be better spent on a blu-ray with internet connectivity.

#4 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,974 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

The ps3 is probably as good or better than whatever bluray player you might end up buying, and it has access to netflix, mlb.tv and quite a bit more.

#5 JMDurron

• 4,343 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

Your throughput may very, but if you're on a DSL connection, as opposed to cable, I'd be surprised if you could get very high quality Netflix/MLB.TV streams.

#6 sonsoftrotnixon

• 587 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

Your throughput may very, but if you're on a DSL connection, as opposed to cable, I'd be surprised if you could get very high quality Netflix/MLB.TV streams.

I have Netflix (running through a wireless connection to my XBox 360) and am on DSL. No serious problems but once in awhile the picture needs to adjust resolution based on current bandwidth. I'm satisfied with it even w/ a DSL internet connection.

#7 bakahump

• 4,808 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

PS3 is excellent. Blu Ray Streaming from a media server and if you ever choose..able to play some great games.