Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

John Lackey's wife fighting breast cancer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,597 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

And no, it's not an excuse for his 2010 struggles. She was diagnosed after the season.

Just one more reason to rabidly support the March to 100K and kick cancer's ass.

WEEI

Posted Image

While addressing the media Monday at the minor-league training facility, John Lackey was asked about where he worked out in the offseason. "Actually, I was in California most of the time because my wife was getting some treatment out there," he said.

Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the "treatment" Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox' pitcher's wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving.

Lackey, who was wearing a pink "Power Balance" bracelet on his left wrist as a way to further breast cancer awareness, explained that Krista "was doing really good," and the University of New Hampshire graduate had caught the disease at a very early stage. The pitcher also wore sneakers with the Lance Armstrong motto "Livestrong" printed across them.

Lackey said at his introductory press conference with the Red Sox following the 2009 season that Krista, a Maine native, was a driving force in terms of encouraging the pitcher to sign a free-agent contract with the Sox.

Edited by mabrowndog, 16 February 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#2 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5,735 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image
[/quote]

Jesus-H-Mother-fucking-Christ-on a cracker. He married waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy up.

The cancer is even more of a shame.

#3 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,516 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Glad to hear that the doctors caught this early. Here's to praying that she'll pull through this, and stay cancer free.

A bit of a question though: wouldn't it have made sense if they stayed out here and she got treatment at the DFCI? Partnership and all.

#4 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,389 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

Glad to hear that the doctors caught this early. Here's to praying that she'll pull through this, and stay cancer free.

A bit of a question though: wouldn't it have made sense if they stayed out here and she got treatment at the DFCI? Partnership and all.

It'd also make sense for her to be comfortable considering that she has cancer.

#5 PrometheusWakefield

• SoSH Member

• 6,855 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

He's a professional baseball player with a $82 million contract. How far up can you really go from there?

Obviously, it's secondary in importance and I feel kinda shitty even mentioning it, but this can't help his on-field performance in 2011.

#6 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,420 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

I hope she wins.

#7 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,843 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

1. She's pretty fucking hot.

2. I hope Lackey is able to focus somewhat on baseball.

3. Most importantly, hopefully she'll beat this.

#8 EdRalphRomero

• wooderson

• 2,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image

She's smoking. He looks like my avatar.

#9 sittingstill

• 1,341 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

And no, it's not an excuse for his 2010 struggles. She was diagnosed after the season.

I wouldn't call it an excuse, but I doubt the miscarriage she suffered at the start of the season (mentioned in CHB's piece--and I'm sure it's the reason he nearly missed his first start) helped much. Probably not the start to their life in Boston they had in mind, and one more reason I wish her all the best in beating cancer.

#10 fenwaypaul

• 3,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

She's smoking. He looks like my avatar.

He should lend Shane some of his extra teeth.

#11 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 6,098 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thoughts & adjurations.

#12 genivive

• 825 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

I wouldn't call it an excuse, but I doubt the miscarriage she suffered at the start of the season (mentioned in CHB's piece--and I'm sure it's the reason he nearly missed his first start) helped much. Probably not the start to their life in Boston they had in mind, and one more reason I wish her all the best in beating cancer.

I would

Edited by genivive, 17 February 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#13 Redkluzu

• tortures mice

• 1,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

My guess, and it's just a guess, she's a Maine native and a U New Hampshire grad and she wanted to be near home.

#14 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 13,228 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

My guess, and it's just a guess, she's a Maine native and a U New Hampshire grad and she wanted to be near home.

And therefore she got her treatment in California? Someone is geographically challenged. Could be me.

#15 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 3,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

And therefore she got her treatment in California? Someone is geographically challenged. Could be me.

She moved to Huntington Beach after graduating college and, as far as I can tell, her family lives in California. Here's a brief blurb about her.