Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

HP TouchPad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
249 replies to this topic

#51 Gorton Fisherman

• 910 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:13 AM

I went ahead and grabbed a 16GB unit. I have an iPad 2, and the wife and kids are always trying to get their mitts on it to check Facebook, play games, etc., and I figure maybe I can get them to use this thing for those purposes instead. It won't be nearly as heartbreaking if one of the kids drops this on the ceramic tile one day instead of the iPad.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of putting Honeycomb or ICS on this thing once the neckbeards get that all sussed out.

#52 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33670 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:03 AM

I bought a few. I want to make 'connected' picture frames for the various parents and figure at this price I'll find a way.I'd also love to use one as a house monitor

#53 CoRP

• 4069 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

I bought a few. I want to make 'connected' picture frames for the various parents and figure at this price I'll find a way.I'd also love to use one as a house monitor

I bought a few for the office. Will use them as dedicated video conference screens.

#54 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

Everything I have read confirms that it is indeed Dual Core btw.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 22 August 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#55 PBDWake

• 2625 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

in case anyone is still looking locally, not a single best buy in greater new england has any, nor will they be getting any. I guess I don't understand the desire for one, its biggest drawback is the hardware, not the software - which everyone is excited about replacing with android. webOS is fantastic, but it was designed and tested on an iPad 2, running A9 cortex architecture and a dual core processor. the touchpad has a 1.2 ghz snapdragon single core. unless you're planning on keeping this device in the bathroom for web browsing, you'd be better off putting that hundred bucks into a better tablet. or a laptop. or anything else. just my .02.

I really don't know where you're getting your specs, but the Touchpads run on 1.2 ghz, dual core Snapdragon S3s.

Edited by PBDWake, 22 August 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#56 Fisks Of Fury

• 306 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

That's true enough, but it'll support Android within a few weeks, I'd bet.

Finally got a deal on one. Landed a 32 gig for $149 off Sam's Club's site.

There's at least one active effort to port Android to it underway now, cleverly called "Touchdroid". It'll start with an open source version of Gingerbread, and as soon as ICS is officially out, the efforts will be redirected to port it as well. A $99 Android tablet (even if you have to wait weeks or a month) sounds like a heck of an idea to me. I have an open order via Amazon, just waiting for shipment confirmation.

All this, and I wonder if maybe the WebOS interface might be worth giving a try regardless. A no-brainer from my perspective... especially since I have an opportunity to leverage it for work efforts as well.

Edit: Annnnd, Foulkey beat me to it... yesterday, even.

Edited by Fisks Of Fury, 22 August 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#57 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20029 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

Watched a few videos of this thing in action on Youtube and WebOS seems pretty slick. I look forward to it getting Android, but in the meantime it seems like a decent tablet to mess around with as is.

#58 B H Kim

• 2692 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

There's at least one active effort to port Android to it underway now, cleverly called "Touchdroid". It'll start with an open source version of Gingerbread, and as soon as ICS is officially out, the efforts will be redirected to port it as well. A $99 Android tablet (even if you have to wait weeks or a month) sounds like a heck of an idea to me. I have an open order via Amazon, just waiting for shipment confirmation.

All this, and I wonder if maybe the WebOS interface might be worth giving a try regardless. A no-brainer from my perspective... especially since I have an opportunity to leverage it for work efforts as well.

It's really a shame that HP has effectively given up on webOS because I think it is a superior OS to Android. I'll wait to see how the Android port works out, but I have no concerns keeping webOS on the device, at least for the time being. (I ordered mine directly from Amazon yesterday morning and it has already shipped.) The big problem, of course, is that third-party app development for webOS is probably going to be non-existent going forward. From everything I've read, the touchpad has a lot of performance issues, but I'm hoping with these OS tweaks and by overclocking it, I can at least turn it into a usable web-browsing/e-mail device.

Edited by B H Kim, 22 August 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#59 BillMuellerFanClub

• 189 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

my mistake, don't drink and post.
link
damn you, engadget.

Edited by BillMuellerFanClub, 22 August 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#60 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13343 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

If anyone finds one of these things available again at that price please post a link? There's probably at least 1 handy in it for you. This would be an awesome thing to have the next week or so while the SO is stuck in the hospital.

#61 ajml

• 363 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like a lot of people's orders from all companies are getting cancelled so who knows if it will go through, but PC Connection still has the 32 GB one in stock for $149.
http://www.pcconnect...0188&cac=Result

Edit: some people on slickdeals claim PC Connection is shady and charges you but doesn't ship items. Their BBB rating is A+ on their website but I'm sure that's a load of garbage. I have no idea - I'm just passing this along.

Edited by ajml, 22 August 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#62 Rudi Fingers

• 1148 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

The big problem, of course, is that third-party app development for webOS is probably going to be non-existent going forward.

I wouldn't be surprised to see HTC or Samsung license WebOS - now that Windows Mobile is tied so closely to Nokia, and Android to Motorola, HTC and Samsung could use a second operating system to hold some leverage, or as backup in case the patent problems with Android get worse. With HP hardware out of the picture, WebOS could be just that operating system.

#63 kneemoe

• 1918 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like a lot of people's orders from all companies are getting cancelled so who knows if it will go through, but PC Connection still has the 32 GB one in stock for $149.
http://www.pcconnect...0188&cac=Result

Edit: some people on slickdeals claim PC Connection is shady and charges you but doesn't ship items. Their BBB rating is A+ on their website but I'm sure that's a load of garbage. I have no idea - I'm just passing this along.

Thanks for the link, but they're getting hammered too (site's down for me, all I get are errors - yet enough bandwidth to serve an image for the error instead of just an error msg)

EDIT: looks like you can use the homepage and search for it, but the individual product page is toast

Edited by kneemoe, 22 August 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#64 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13343 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, I tried govconnection.com since I have a work account there and it's getting killed too. Probably the same server.

#65 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13343 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

I just got through on PC Connection so keep trying. Or at least I got one in a shopping cart before it died. Trying to see if I can revive it.

I'd prefer a $99 flavor though so if anyone out there finds one there's a virtual handy in it for you. Yes, for some reason that $50 makes a "cool toy" to "eh" difference to me. I'm a complex person.

#66 B H Kim

• 2692 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see HTC or Samsung license WebOS - now that Windows Mobile is tied so closely to Nokia, and Android to Motorola, HTC and Samsung could use a second operating system to hold some leverage, or as backup in case the patent problems with Android get worse. With HP hardware out of the picture, WebOS could be just that operating system.

I could see a phone developer licensing webOS, but I'd be surprised if any major developer tries to launch another webOS tablet. Given HP's failure (not to mention the RIM Playbook failure and the struggling Android tablet market), who else would be willing to invest that much time, effort and money on such a risky venture?

#67 BigJimEd

• 1772 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Unavailable at PC Connection now.

#68 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9430 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Grab it here while you can: http://www.tigerdire...key=hp touchpad

#69 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13343 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

I loaded the page, got interrupted by someone asking a question, then when I went back 5 minutes later they were gone. Bah!

thanks though!

#70 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9430 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

I laded the page, got interrupted by someone asking a question, then when I went back 5 minutes later they were gone. Bah!

thanks though!

No sweat. Follow this thread as more (hopefully) get released: http://slickdeals.ne...20862&page=1596

#71 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

A few cancellations from OnSale via Amazon are trickling into the SD thread. A few claiming it is shipped as well. Their customer service number (800 896 2011 ) is flooded, so good luck getting through, but those that have say that they can find out their order's status, ie. whether or not you're actually getting one.

#72 Gorton Fisherman

• 910 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Just got an e-mail from Barnes and Nobles indicating that they have cancelled my order:

Due to unexpected customer demand for this item, our inventory was depleted prior to your order being processed so we are unable to fulfill this item as requested. Consequently, we have canceled your order and you will not be billed for this amount.

Fuckers.

Anyone know of a place that has actual stock on this thing?

#73 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Nobody right now. B&N is canceling everybody's orders. I'm just waiting on OnSale to drop the axe on me since Best Buy completely screwed my order up and still have the hold on my card. I had two of them from two retailers, and might come up empty. Ah well, if I don't get it, Madden 12 will be my only distraction from productivity.

#74 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3584 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

So I don't seem to have been able to get one at the discount pricing - and while I expect there will be a glut on e-bay/craigslist as the lucky multi-buyers try to sell, I am not going to bank on that.

So anyway, NOW, after all this, I want a tablet. Seeing as the TouchPad doesn't seem to be what I'll get (and wouldn't have been my first choice but for the deep discount), what are some other units I should consider. I reckon I'll end up with android (not a big Apple fan), so shoot away. I want something cool, and pretty loaded up...not the "cheapest I can find".

#75 derekson

• 3422 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

So I don't seem to have been able to get one at the discount pricing - and while I expect there will be a glut on e-bay/craigslist as the lucky multi-buyers try to sell, I am not going to bank on that.

So anyway, NOW, after all this, I want a tablet. Seeing as the TouchPad doesn't seem to be what I'll get (and wouldn't have been my first choice but for the deep discount), what are some other units I should consider. I reckon I'll end up with android (not a big Apple fan), so shoot away. I want something cool, and pretty loaded up...not the "cheapest I can find".

I saw 32 GB iPad 1 on sale for $299 today. I know you said you're not a huge Apple fan, but that's a pretty good deal if you're looking for something solid at a good price.

32 GB First Gen iPad offer

#76 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

From onSale's Facebook page:

Thank you for calling to inquire about the status of your HP Touchpad order. When the price decrease was announced this weekend, our websites, and the websites of all major retailers, were overwhelmed with customers placing orders for the HP Touchpad. We are now in the process of sorting thru the orders and confirming which ones we can fulfill. Rest assured that we are filling valid orders on a first-come, first-served basis as long as we have inventory. At this time, we do not know if there will be sufficient inventory to fulfill your order. We hope to be able to get back to you on the status of your order in the next 24 hours if not sooner. If you would like to cancel your order, please do so.

Thank you for your understanding and your patience as we deal with this unprecedented event.

Fingers crossed, I guess. I wonder if they will offer the people who lose out something for the trouble?

#77 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8309 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

I am getting my touchpad from Amazon tomorrow, yet I am not that enthusiastic. I think it's going to be a glorified paper weight/ebook reader. Of course even if it's just an ebook reader, it still seems better and cheaper than the kindle with the additional benefit it can browse the internet.

#78 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20029 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

My order still shows as arriving 8/25-8/30 but it doesn't look like it's shipped yet.

#79 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33670 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

I got emails from b&n and amazon that the order had been cancelled

#80 CoRP

• 4069 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I got emails from b&n and amazon that the order had been cancelled

Ah fuck.

#81 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

My order still shows as arriving 8/25-8/30 but it doesn't look like it's shipped yet.

Ditto. I read that they have three days from the final date (Aug 30) to ship it. I'm hoping I get lucky since I threw in the extra $50 for a 32 gig, but I don't like the idea of having a hold on my account until September 2, only to have them cancel the order on me after all that time. I sent them a message through Amazon, but I'm not expecting anything other than a form letter back.

#82 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9281 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

A post from OnSale:
"Total number of units in onSale's inventory was 87. A total of 17,528 orders were placed before the listing was removed."

#83 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20029 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

A post from OnSale:
"Total number of units in onSale's inventory was 87. A total of 17,528 orders were placed before the listing was removed."

Well fuck.

I hope they release my money soon then.

#84 sox311

• 1070 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

onSale didn't even charge my card... They did a friend of mines card though.

Talked to an HP WebOS rep who came into my store today, he said Sharp & Samsung are in discussions to take it over, HTC was, but backed out.

We were surprised to see him, and he was wearing shorts and flip flops, not knowing what the heck was going to happen.

Edited by sox311, 23 August 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#85 PBDWake

• 2625 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

My microcenter order was cancelled (I was expecting it, but apparently people with gmail accounts weren't receiving cancellation emails), and my Sam's order just changed status from "Processing" to "Exception". Fuck.

#86 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20029 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

No email yet, they still have my money, and it still says it's going to ship.

I'm keeping the faith.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 23 August 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#87 PBDWake

• 2625 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well, if anyone got theirs from Sam's Club, and isn't a member, go check on your order status and check to see if it's in Exception Status. Apparently, if you used the "One Day Guest Pass" deal to buy your touchpad, they're randomly asking these new members to call in and confirm their info, especially if, like me, some people are paranoid about electronics being left on their doorstep all day and have it shipped to an address different than their billing address (my office). No idea if people may lose Touchpads over not getting this done in a timely manner, but why risk it?

#88 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21959 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

interesting thoughts from zdnet surmising that this $99 frenzy effectively screws all other non-iPad tablets since consumers now have a taste for a much lower price.

#89 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Well my order just changed to the original order I placed, and the second redo. So now I'm looking at a 16 and a 32 gig that says it is shipping from onSale between now and the 30th. That post "from onsale" claiming they had 87 units is bogus from what I read. No rep said that, it was a random internet poster as far as I have been able to tell. That rumor started yesterday and died out almost instantaneously.

#90 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33670 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

interesting thoughts from zdnet surmising that this $99 frenzy effectively screws all other non-iPad tablets since consumers now have a taste for a much lower price.

Fuck it, it even screws iPads. I was considering buying a few for my inlaws and parents, but seeing they just need email and internet, I'll hold off. An iPad was worth it for a hundred or whatever more, but for orders of magnitude more it's changed the dynamic.

#91 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5897 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

You realize that there is more than $100 of hardware alone in one of these things, right? It's not like people are lining up to regularly lose a billion $ selling millions of these below cost. What I hope happens is that the android tablet world consolidates to 2 or 3 players so they can actually build scale and have the ability to make money below the iPad price point, which they can't do today.

#92 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33670 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yup, but it's about price perception.

Plus, someone out there realizes it's ok to take a hardware loss to secure app store profits, as the Kindle has done (the cell phone contract model).

Honestly that's what it's going to take to unseat iPad dominance.

#93 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9281 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

saw a drop and picked one up at the attleboro bestbuy.

incredible value I think.

#94 genoasalami

• 574 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Dear Customers,

This is Robert Rich, President of OnSale. We appreciate your patience and apologize to our customers for any inconvenience related to unfulfilled orders for HP Touch Pads.

As a result of an unintended and unprecedented event, the dramatic price reduction in the discontinued HP Touch Pad which occurred over this past weekend, we received orders so quickly over a couple of hour period on Sunday that we were not able to properly process all of these orders.

At this time, we regret that we have determined we will not have sufficient clarity in a timely manner regarding additional availability of product to allow us to fill remaining unfulfilled orders. Unfortunately as a result, we are now cancelling unfulfilled orders and expect this process to be completed shortly. Customers whose orders are being canceled will receive a cancelation notice via e-mail. No credit cards have been charged for any unfulfilled orders.

Again, we are truly sorry for any inconvenience to customers and please accept our sincere apologies.

http://www.facebook....150261415311008

Edited by genoasalami, 23 August 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#95 BillMuellerFanClub

• 189 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

the "cost" of the touchpad is under what it is currently selling at. they are not losing money. there is also a possibility that there will be a shipment of touchpads to stores in central MA tomorrow. my store alone is receiving at least 30. maybe 50.

#96 derekson

• 3422 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:43 AM

the "cost" of the touchpad is under what it is currently selling at. they are not losing money. there is also a possibility that there will be a shipment of touchpads to stores in central MA tomorrow. my store alone is receiving at least 30. maybe 50.

There is absolutely no way the cost of manufacturing and distributing a Touchpad is under $99. The figures I have read were $298 for a 16 GB model, meaning they're eating $199 on every one of these they sell. Obviously that's better than the $298 that they'd be eating if they didn't sell them at all, but they wouldn't be selling them at this price if they weren't already manufactured and sitting in stock rooms.

#97 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13343 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

What store is that if you don't mind my asking? And if it's a chain that would be getting them in Boston as well any strategies to getting one other than "get lucky"?

merci buckets

#98 Caspir

• 3309 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

Uhh, yes, they are.

We know roughly what it cost to build each TouchPad, courtesy of a teardown analysis conducted last month by the research firm iSuppli. A 16GB TouchPad cost $306.65 to build, while the 32GB version cost $328.65.

Link

And what store do you work in that thinks they're getting 30-50 of them, unsold, today? People who bought them directly from HP are on a wait list right now, but some electronics store in Westborough is getting a shipment?

Edited by Caspir, 24 August 2011 - 06:07 AM.

#99 Joe Sixpack

• 1939 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

Uhh, yes, they are.

Link

And what store do you work in that thinks they're getting 30-50 of them, unsold, today? People who bought them directly from HP are on a wait list right now, but some electronics store in Westborough is getting a shipment?

Many BestBuy stores got shipments yesterday and I'm guessing more will get them today. I went to the Mansfield Bestbuy right before they closed last night and they still had the 32gb model in stock.

Edited by Joe Sixpack, 24 August 2011 - 06:55 AM.

#100 CoRP

• 4069 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

You realize that there is more than $100 of hardware alone in one of these things, right? It's not like people are lining up to regularly lose a billion $ selling millions of these below cost. What I hope happens is that the android tablet world consolidates to 2 or 3 players so they can actually build scale and have the ability to make money below the iPad price point, which they can't do today.

In fact, there's $328 worth of hardware in one of these things.