Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Truck Day Festivities

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

My wife and I are thinking about going down for the Truck Day festivities since we're not likely to ever have the chance again. If we do, does anyone know when they start, what they do, and when the truck goes off? And what about parking, is there any decent parking real close? I'll have to be pushing my wife in her wheelchair so I don't want to be going too far.

Thanks,

#2 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21592 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

My wife and I are thinking about going down for the Truck Day festivities since we're not likely to ever have the chance again. If we do, does anyone know when they start, what they do, and when the truck goes off? And what about parking, is there any decent parking real close? I'll have to be pushing my wife in her wheelchair so I don't want to be going too far.

Thanks,

There's a whole stretch of handicap parking on Yawkey Way, starting right at Boylston Street, and heading towards Van Ness.

#3 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 34215 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

The truck leaves from Van Ness Street near the player's parking lot at the southwest corner of the park. In addition to the spaces LR mentioned, there are also some off the southeast corner along Ipswich Street. The closest commercial parking lot is diagonally opposite the loading area at the corner of Yawkey and Van Ness. A full list of nearby parking garages and lots is here.

The truck arrives around 6-6:30 AM and crews begin packing it at around 7 am. It typically takes 3 to 4 hours to get it loaded. Last year took less time because the moving company had already loaded stuff that had been put into storage to clear space for the NHL Winter Classic. On occasion they've used two trucks (last year they filled the back end of a trailer that already had a Florida-bound household moving shipment packed aboard).

As far as what they do? Well, not much. They're loading a fucking truck with boxes, crates, trunks, duffel bags, exercise equipment, and certain personal possessions of players, staff and execs. In the past, Sox officials have come out briefly to shake hands and chat with fans. I also believe in prior years Dunkin' Donuts was out there giving away coffee and munchkins, but I don't think that's been the case the last couple of winters. When the truck pulls out, it's followed by a flatbed trailer with a half-dozen Sox employees -- a Pep Squad of sorts -- who wave and toss candy and small souvenirs (foam baseballs, etc.) to the smattering of gathered fans while music (Dirty Water and that wretched Play Ball anthem) blares from a PA system mounted on the back.

Considering your wife's situation, your biggest concern should be whether the streets and sidewalks have been sufficiently plowed and cleared of snow and ice to allow safe passage for her wheelchair. I'm assuming the Sox will have adequately handled the sidewalks adjacent to the park, but street-side parking is the city's responsibility. I'd suggest calling the team offices at (617) 226-6000 to get specifics on street conditions, and whether they're making any special accommodations for fans and the disabled in light of the hard winter.

I've documented my take on Truck Day here in the past. While I condone the marking of the day as a calendar countdown tool and winter coping mechanism, I think the event itself leaves plenty to be desired. I'm appreciative of those who go out and take photos (amh03, sittingstill), but just standing/sitting and watching a truck get loaded isn't really the way I'd want to spend a cold morning.

Then again, it's an excuse to be at Fenway. To that end, I'd suggest you and the missus take one of the ballpark tours that day if they're being offered. They're wheelchair-friendly, mostly indoors, and a far more tangible baseball fix making the trip more worthwhile.

Edited by mabrowndog, 03 February 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#4 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks a bunch.

And I didn't really mean to put this in this forum, my bad.

#5 sittingstill

• 1287 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

I've documented my take on Truck Day here in the past. While I condone the marking of the day as a calendar countdown tool and winter coping mechanism, I think the event itself leaves plenty to be desired. I'm appreciative of those who go out and take photos (amh03, sittingstill), but just standing/sitting and watching a truck get loaded isn't really the way I'd want to spend a cold morning.

Then again, it's an excuse to be at Fenway. To that end, I'd suggest you and the missus take one of the ballpark tours that day if they're being offered. They're wheelchair-friendly, mostly indoors, and a far more tangible baseball fix making the trip more worthwhile.

This is very true. Up until this past year the reason to go was mainly that there WAS no reason to go. Knowing that the truck has left is one thing; actually needing to see it go is just plain silly. I like silly, and I work across the street, and I rather enjoyed seeing amh03 and a couple of media folks who were required to be there and trying to figure out where they hid the vacuums. Last year they started to try to make a real event of it; JetBlue was in the team store, and they printed up hats and foam fingers. I think this had the effect of making a few folks think it was bigger than it was--which made it even funnier that as Browndog said, the truck was basically loaded before folks even got there.

Remy's is apparently going to do a webcast this year with Remy and Bob Lobel, and have free chicken wings. I can't quite decide if this is painful overkill or a happy return to silliness. But people have done worse things than offer free chicken wings.

#6 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7473 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Remy's is apparently going to do a webcast this year with Remy and Bob Lobel, and have free chicken wings. I can't quite decide if this is painful overkill or a happy return to silliness. But people have done worse things than offer free chicken wings.

"Up next at the ramp is Bob "The Bulldog" Shanahan, with two cases of bats on an extra-strength dolly. You'll recall that Bulldog was having a great loading day last year, until his unfortunate collision with Adrian Beltre just after setting a personal record of loading four player duffel bags in one trip..."

#7 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4263 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

It's always been fun to "launch" the countdown to Spring Training with Truck Day. Bumping into some friends each year was awesome and being able to share the scene with you folks always made it worth the cold. As Kelly & Mark have described, though, it's gone commercial and it seems as that has increased, my interest has decreased. For a completely unrelated reason, I won't be able to attend this year (does anyone think it will be effected by the possible storm being talked about next Tuesday?). If folks do go and can share some pics, I'm sure I'll enjoy your unique perspective better than what the Globe or Herald show. And if you've never gone, and have the time, it's probably worth a stop...and then lunch at either Beer Works or Game On.

#8 AMcGhie

• The Robinson Canoe of RMPS

• 986 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

I live on Queensberry (3 blocks south of Fenway). The area is very poorly plowed south of Boylston, and isn't too much better north of it. I say this not for parking, but for actually maneuvering the wheelchair around. Parking is a complete mess with the piles of snow. You might find parking in a pay lot, but I have high doubts that there is any street parking available(handicapped or not).
I'd suggest calling the Sox and asking for information. They'll have a lot more about the Fenway property/blocks itself, but the area is a mess right now.

#9 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4263 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

I drove through the area today and there definitely is on-street parking available...it's free, too, on Yawkey Way, i.e. no meters. I parked on Brookline Ave. and paid the meter, but had no problem finding a spot. As everywhere, there is snow but the major sidewalks seemed fairly well shoveled. It's all relative, of course, but it might be worth a drive-by if you're in the area on Tuesday.

#10 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

I drove through the area today and there definitely is on-street parking available...it's free, too, on Yawkey Way, i.e. no meters. I parked on Brookline Ave. and paid the meter, but had no problem finding a spot. As everywhere, there is snow but the major sidewalks seemed fairly well shoveled. It's all relative, of course, but it might be worth a drive-by if you're in the area on Tuesday.

Thanks. We won't be in the area unless we make a specific point to be in the area which is pretty unlikely since we're going to get yet another storm. I mean, really, another storm. I don't care if it's a small one, I'm tired of this shit.

Now let me ask this potentially stupid question. Has anyone ever tried to track down the truck on the way?

#11 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 34215 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Here's the official announcement

Head on down to Fenway Park on Tuesday, Feb. 8, at noon to send off some of your favorite players' equipment as it heads to sunny Fort Myers, Fla., in the Red Sox equipment truck.

The event, sponsored by JetBlue, will take place on Van Ness Street, outside Gate D. Wally the Green Monster and the Fenway Ambassadors will be giving out prizes for the faithful fans that brave the cold for the event.

#12 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3169 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Did any of our unemployed masses stand out in the cold and watch men load a truck?

Truck day! Just think only 51 days until the Red Sox play meaningful baseball.

Yup...only 51 long, cold, miserable motherfucking days.

Yay Truck Day!

#13 Hyde Park Factor

• token lebanese

• 1190 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Did any of our unemployed masses stand out in the cold and watch men load a truck?

Truck day! Just think only 51 days until the Red Sox play meaningful baseball.

Yup...only 51 long, cold, miserable motherfucking days.

Yay Truck Day!

You probably don't like the first blooms of spring, either.

Can't you just go complain about a TV show or something?

#14 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3169 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

You probably don't like the first blooms of spring, either.

Can't you just go complain about a TV show or something?

I love Spring.

It's not Spring. Not even close.

#15 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4489 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I love Spring.

You are such an internet bad ass.

#16 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4488 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Truck Day is complaining about summer vacation being "almost over" in June.
Truck Day is honking at the guy in front of you before the light turns green.
Truck Day is setting up a tent outside the movie theater a month before opening night.
Truck Day is your kid's third-grade "graduation".
Truck Day is putting Christmas music on in October.
Truck Day is typing "First!" in a comment field.

Sure, it's a marker in the calendar, but so is February 8th. And we don't go celebrating that every year. Nor do we celebrate Truck Arrival Day (I hope). Spring hasn't sprung, the grass is still covered in snow, nothing has actually happened yet, and let's be honest, few are more annoying than those who type "first!" in the comment field.

Edited by zenter, 08 February 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#17 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

You are such an internet bad ass.

I like Berry. But I love this.

Berry, have you ever been to Spring Training? You can play 18 holes before catching a game and then sit on the beach with a beer and watch the sunset after. Oh, and you can get tickets for less than $20.

Feel free to look me up when you're in town.

#18 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5723 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

So if any pathetic losers did happen to foolishly waste the best part of their day standing out in the cold watching this silly non-event... I mean if you had your camera with you... well I wouldn't mind, you know, seeing a picture or two.

Ras, did you and the wife get out there?

#19 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3169 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

I like Berry. But I love this.

Berry, have you ever been to Spring Training? You can play 18 holes before catching a game and then sit on the beach with a beer and watch the sunset after. Oh, and you can get tickets for less than $20.

Feel free to look me up when you're in town.

Been to 4 of them. Spring Training is OK. It gets boring pretty fast though.

But unless you are going to Spring Training, Truck Day doesn't mean shit.

As for being an "internet bad ass", considering the laundry list of drama around here the last few months... and considering I have had zero to do with any of it, I wouldn't say that's the case at all.

Truck Day is lame for anyone with a job.

That doesn't make me a badass for saying so.

#20 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16316 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

So if any pathetic losers did happen to foolishly waste the best part of their day standing out in the cold watching this silly non-event... I mean if you had your camera with you... well I wouldn't mind, you know, seeing a picture or two.

Like it or not it's become a regional reference point. I was getting allergy shots today and talking to the nurses who were, one and all, grumbling about this terrible siege of a winter. I remarked that this was truck day. They all knew to what I was referring and one of them said that "it means a hell of a lot more than anything that stupid ass groundhog does!".

#21 sittingstill

• 1287 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

You mean me?

Posted Image
The truck!

Posted Image
All essential supplies need to be loaded.

Posted Image
Like I said...

Posted Image
It's not Truck Day if I don't shoot them loading the vacuums!

Posted Image
Heidi!

Posted Image
The Fenway ambassadors and Wally...

Posted Image
... and the truck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 shepard50

• 4237 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the pics SittingStill!

(Note how careful the guy in the second picture is being with Pedroia's bike.)

#23 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

No, afraid not. I ended up deciding that I'd rather take her to get fish n chips at her favorite place in Woonsocket instead.

#24 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

Been to 4 of them. Spring Training is OK. It gets boring pretty fast though.

But unless you are going to Spring Training, Truck Day doesn't mean shit.

As for being an "internet bad ass", considering the laundry list of drama around here the last few months... and considering I have had zero to do with any of it, I wouldn't say that's the case at all.

Truck Day is lame for anyone with a job.

That doesn't make me a badass for saying so.

Not a badass.

Just an ass :)

Edited by Rasputin, 08 February 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#25 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 5991 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Nice pics! Always appreciated!

#26 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13289 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

Posted Image
Heidi!

She's a good looking broad.

#27 steeplechase3k

• 1751 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

Posted Image
Like I said...

The Red Seat is included. Nice.

#28 montoursvillefan

• 395 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

Like it or not it's become a regional reference point. I was getting allergy shots today and talking to the nurses who were, one and all, grumbling about this terrible siege of a winter. I remarked that this was truck day. They all knew to what I was referring and one of them said that "it means a hell of a lot more than anything that stupid ass groundhog does!".

Pennsylvania has to represent Rough.

http://www.punxsutawneyphil.com/

Early spring? I don't know, but some relief is on the way.

http://www.accuweath...-on-the-way.asp

There is always hope...

#29 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4263 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Terrific photos, Kelly...thanks so much or sharing - love the vacuum photo!! It's up to Cheri to greet the truck now...

#30 loshjott

• 3698 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the pics SittingStill!

(Note how careful the guy in the second picture is being with Pedroia's bike.)

This shouldn't go unmentioned. Nice.

#31 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2861 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

On a rainy day in Fort Myers, "The Truck" has arrived safe and sound.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5808 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

Is that athletic trainer Mike Reinold's?

#33 Bongorific

• 4567 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image
Heidi!

Ok Rip, here's the source material for your next piece to be auctioned for the Jimmy Fund. I'll start the bidding at $100.

#34 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 2850 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

On a rainy day in Fort Myers, "The Truck" has arrived safe and sound.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Why is there a box labeled "Beltre"? Did I miss something in the off season?

#35 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21592 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

They've been carrying Estaban's equipment around for the last 15 years as a good luck charm

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 11 February 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#36 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 2850 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

They've been carrying Estaban's equipment around for the last 15 years as a good luck charm

I knew there had to be a logical reason.

#37 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14461 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

Probably just an old box they threw crap in.

#38 loshjott

• 3698 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

Probably just an old box they threw crap in.

Times are tough all over. Why spring for new boxes?

#39 ToeKneeArmAss

• Paul Byrd's pitching coach

• 2114 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

I'm imagining the guy in the background saying "Damn! She's got a Mubarak!" (Which of course, is an ass that won't quit.)

#40 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13289 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

I'm imagining the guy in the background saying "Damn! She's got a Mubarak!" (Which of course, is an ass that won't quit.)

Man that joke was so yesterday.

#41 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3302 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Man that joke was so yesterday.

Just so I understand correctly...

You're complaining about a joke that requires a reposting of that picture? You need to reassess your priorities.

#42 Sille Skrub

• 3847 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Heidi!

Best pic of the bunch. Thanks, SS!

I think I made pretty much this same post either last year or the year before agreeing with Berry:

I'm with Berry on Truck Day. I disliked it more when I lived out east because it was in no way an indicator of spring. There's still a long way to go as far as winter goes. Now here out west, I'm just ambivalent to the whole thing. I'm really not a fan of spring training either. I went in 2005 and I'll never go back. As Berry said, it gets old quick. Just not my thing, I guess.

There is one thing I like about Truck Day and became especially evident to me this year: On Tuesday, I explained to my co-workers that it was Truck Day, what it was, and one of them remarked that it was definitely something unique to Red Sox fans (and something Red Sox fans would know about). Even though I think Truck Day is generally lame, I like the passion involved behind it. In comparison to the so-called Giants "fans" (some of whom actually debated between watching TV programs and World Series games) out here, celebrating Truck Day is one of those things that makes our Red Sox fandom unique.

What I really do want is meaningful baseball and that is still a pretty long way off.

I can't wait to get back in a ballpark.

#43 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13289 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Just so I understand correctly...

You're complaining about a joke that requires a reposting of that picture? You need to reassess your priorities.

The picture was in post too.

I also object to Heidi being connected to an ass that did quit.

#44 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3460 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

n/m. Didn't realize the forum.

I love Truck Day.

Edited by brs3, 12 February 2011 - 01:42 AM.

#45 Worst Trade Evah

• SoSH Member

• 10833 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Is that athletic trainer Mike Reinold's?

I figured it was rehab equipment for Pedroia.

Thanks for the pictures! I love Truck Day. I don't care about basketball, hockey, or the NCAA so it's a little lifeline for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users